Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
For some reason it annoys me that Galloway doesn’t match his hat to his suit. Like the hat is a silly gimmick but come on man put a little effort in, your can’t do black hat and blue suit, it just looks bad. Don’t wear a hat darker than your suit unless your suit is light tan or white. I know you have lighter coloured hats, I’ve seen them, surely you must have tried them on when getting dressed, how did you put on the black one and thing “yep, this is right”. Honestly!

Things I think about at 3:30am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

EvilHawk posted:

Sorry I should have clarified, "Other than being a Lib Dem, what was wrong with the Lib Dem candidate?"

Finishing 5th in a race where the two major parties have basically hosed off is hilariously embarrassing for them.

It’s just not a Lib Dem area, pretty much. The last two elections before this one the Lib Dems polled in the single digits and the election before that they barely crested 10%. In by-elections the Lib Dems’ specialty is promising a candidate who will be focused on local issues, but that air was swallowed up by the independent candidates who were promising the same thing. I’d guess that Tully, the independent candidate is better known in the community (a cursory Google suggests he runs a garage with his name on it, potentially giving him some decent name recognition). So voters who couldn’t stand Galloway had a “better” option than the Lib Dems.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

Very much a Naomi Klein/Naomi Wolf doppelganger scenario going on there.

If your Matt be Le Blanc
You’re looking real swank
If your Matt be Le Tissier
Oh buddy, that’s piss-tier.

(If your Matthew be Lees,
More board games please)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I really enjoyed The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green. I listened to it as an Audiobook and Green is a really emotive storyteller. A few of the essays moved me to tears, particularly one about the last Kauai' o'o', a bird that mates for life and spent its whole life searching for a partner that never existed.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

happyhippy posted:

Gallloway can be at every PMQs from now on yeah?

He can, but there’s a lottery for the asking of questions, 15 per session plus the questions for the Labour/SNP leaders, so most sessions you’ll not see him.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

keep punching joe posted:

Na h-Eileanan an Iar ain't going Labour.

I wouldn't be so sure, last election the split was 45/26/22 SNP/Lab/Con, and the MP Angus MacNeil has been in place since 2005, has been expelled from the SNP and intends to stand again, probably as an Independent. Any significant split in the SNP vote as a result, combined with Conservative voters tactically voting for Labour could give them the seat.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

His Divine Shadow posted:

If I focus on a single example, take modern led lamps, studies show they cost on average around 1500€ to replace and last on average 15 years, that is 150€ per year if it lasts that long. I pointed this out and someone countered with that most people would be new owners so it doesn't matter (yeah gently caress 2nd or 3rd hand owners) and if it broke they would have insurance replace it so increased costs on lamp replacement doesn't really matter. But you think the insurance companies will just take that lying down? They will get that money back by increasing rates. Which affects even you with a very old car using halogen bulbs you can replace at home for a few euros / pounds.

Well, good news and bad news! Good news: your insurance won't put the rates up to pay for the cost of replacing a lamp that breaks due to reaching the end of its lifecycle. Bad news: that's because car insurance doesn't cover mechanical failures and natural wear and tear.

I dreaded conversations about this when I worked in car claims. Car insurance is one of the few areas of insurance where we cover you 99% of the time (not out of the goodness of our employers hearts but because of very solid laws and regulations), but that doesn't count people who'd phone up to ask us to pay for their breakdown and I had to explain that no, insurance just flat out doesn't cover that sort of thing. It's for accidents fires and thefts. Even breakdown cover, a service most car insurers provide, is about providing you transport to a garage or back home, not actually paying for replacement parts.

Bonus good news: While mechanical wear and tear isn't covered, it's usually not covered so hard that you get a knockback before you can even make a claim, so you don't have to report that you tried to claim in future!
Bonus bad news: The increasing price of parts does still increase the cost of replacing a lamp damaged in an accident, which causes more write offs and more expensive claims, so the costs still affect everyone's premiums like you said.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grey Hunter posted:

I've had a couple of people say this is why Labor have no policies. Why say something when the Tories will just steal it.
It's generous, but there is probably a grain of truth there. the non-dom was the only thing Labor haven't back tracked on, and woops, there it goes.

It's also unbelievably petty.

The thing is if the tories steal it and it's a good policy, that's good. It's only bad in a context where being in power is more important than having good policies implemented. Which I'd say is an accurate assessment of the Labour party leadership's views.

But the other part is that this isn't really the Tories stealing a policy, it's taking an untapped revenue source (non-dom taxation) and applying it to tax cuts. There's nothing to stop Labour from implementing their policy by reversing the tax cuts and using the money for what they intended. They'd do that if they felt the policy was important. But they probably won't now because actually implementing policies isn't what they want, what they want is power.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm going to go devils advocate on this - While this would normally be true, we're 3-9 months out from a general election, so it 100% is the oppositions job to get elected by having popular policies, then once in power implement them properly and add more to them. and your opponent who is in power stealing/subverting them is a bad thing. if we were a few months after an election, then you would be 100% right.

And let's be clear, this and taxing private schools are the two good policies labor have. the Tories just stole one of them for a tax break, so if Starmer want to find money for the NHS, he will have to raise taxes - something he has repeatedly said he's against.

I should also make it clear, I'd rather not have Starmer's lot in power, but it's the ever repeating argument of whether or not to take the lesser evil. And I don't want to start that one again. This is just from a objective view - The oppositions job is to defeat the government, and you can't do that if everything you do is immediately countered or copied by the ones in power.

If the opposition's job 3-9 months out from the election is to get elected by having popular policies, how do they do that without having policies?

But as it happens I disagree that the job of the opposition is to "get elected by having popular policies". I think that is a completely morally bankrupt attitude to democracy. The job of all political parties, government or opposition, is to have policies they think are good, not policies they think are popular. The election is the way we decide which set of policies are in aggregate, the most popular. A party can certainly try to convince voters to their side and in so doing make their policies popular, but a party whose platform is "popular policies" has no claim to being the lesser evil because they're devoid of any morality at all.

And ultimately, while I do agree that ending non-dom status and taxing private schools are good policies, they are fundamentally tax raising policies if not balanced out with tax cuts. If Starmer is against raising taxes, maybe he should consider abandoning that bad policy.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One possibility I don't think has been brought up in the thread would be some medical problem that required an organ transplant. That could knock you out for quite a while, and if Kate was jumped to the front of the organ donation queue on account of her royalty could be a massive scandal if discovered. I don't know poo poo about organ transplants but I've seen it mentioned that one of the common medications you get prescribed following it has swelling in the face as a side effect which might explain her odd appearance in that one picture. But i am pretty much just talking out of my rear end here, so,

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

fuctifino posted:

I don't want to throw any more fuel on the conspiracy fire, but can anyone find an actual video of him giving the speech?

Apparently the video message isn't out yet, due to be broadcast during the commonwealth day service today, which runs from 2:45-4pm, so it should be out within an hour.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

Normal countries: we have holidays that celebrate what we would like others to believe our values are, like Family Day, Human Rights Day, Constitution Day, or Heritage Day.
:britain:: Nobody knows or cares when our named days are, everyone just goes to work, then we have days off called some :effort: poo poo like late summer bank holiday.

Yeah I had no idea what a commonwealth day was or that it was today.

The video is playing now, jesus he looks like death warmed up.

But not warmed up much, more like death put in a dodgy microwave with a broken turntable for 45 seconds.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
And honestly we could get much more bang for our buck if we replaced them with actors. We could hire new kings, queens and princesses at a fraction of the cost and get them to do the tours of the palaces for the tourists.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm sorry, back up. Matt Berry is his son?!

Brian plays his character's dad in the sitcom Toast of London.

It's a good resemblance to be honest

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mebh posted:

Here I was hoping the new plan was just a giant holographic Rishi in the channel.

Rishi
Enhanced cards give $5 and are destroyed when scored
Holographic [+10 melt]

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

bessantj posted:

There's a big thing with the LLM's like ChatGPT at the moment that you can ask it to make up a joke about white people and it will but if you ask it to make up a joke about a black or Asian person it will say it can't because of cultural sensitivity. Some people can;t stop complaining about it.

So yesterday I asked ChatGPT for a joke about a Welshman and got this reply

Which is an offensive joke, just not for the usual reasons.

It will be funny though if in the future the captchas to prove you're not a robot are going to be "say something super racist", "write a paragraph of sexually explicit fiction" and "describe how you would carry out a terrorist attack that would kill at least 100 people".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

fuctifino posted:

I think that illegitimate children become automatically legitimised if the parents end up marrying, so it would need William and Rose marrying.

From what I understand this is normally true however the laws that established that created exceptions for inheritable “titles of honour” such that it may not apply to royal succession.

Regardless it would be one of those situations where, if it came up, would probably require confirmatory legislation anyway since the various Commonwealth realms would need to all agree to the same successor to maintain the personal union. Parliament wouldn’t let Rose’s kids inherit if Canada or Australia were sticking firm on giving the crown to Harry.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Failed Imagineer posted:

Only just realising what an apt name Rod Liddle is for a nonce

When I worked in a call centre a friend got a call from a man named Wayne Raper. Now, admittedly that's a worse name in Scotland than elsewhere, but I honestly cannot imagine living with that name and not changing it immediately.

Another memorable case was an incident involving a Mr Richard Poole and Ms Jacqueline Sex. I honestly thought I was getting pranked--never heard of "Sex" being a surname before or since, and who the gently caress would believe me when I tell them I had a case where Dick Pull rear-ended Jacky Sex?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I got really lucky with my flat, Built in the early 80s and in thirteen years I have never heard so much as a footstep from the flat upstairs. Maybe every tenant who's ever lived in that flat happens to be light as a feather, maybe the landlord fitted a memory foam floor or something, but given that neither of those things are true it seems to me that it's entirely possible to build flats with adequate soundproofing, modern builders just cheap out.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Failed Imagineer posted:

Kate dead, Charles dead, new King to be revealed before the eclipse

https://x.com/DarumaIkyu/status/1771590689266024576?s=20

I appreciate this guy going straight to "they put out obviously fake stuff deliberately so that this video would look more genuine" within the first 30 seconds so that I didn't have to waste 8 minutes on his nutjob conspiracy theory.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

fuctifino posted:

Can't they just import all the databases into a single large spreadsheet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBoKwArgC3A

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I have ARFID, which is a mental illness that massively restricts my diet and makes me disabled under the government's definition. Despite that my answer to a survey that had a question that broadly asks "Are you disabled" would depend a lot contextually on why I was answering the survey. ARFID is a "hidden" disability in that nobody will know I have it unless I tell them or I end up in a situation where I have to eat food prepared by others in front of others. So if it's a survey about, like, video game accessibility I'd be answering "no" to that question, whereas if it's a survey at my work about, like, some plan regarding work nights out, then the answer is yes.

I agree there's no wording of a question like that that's going to please everyone. I sure as hell don't identify as having a disability, my disability has nothing to do with my identity as a person, it's a disease I have and don't want, nothing about it is me. But I'd know what that question means and just roll my eyes while picking yes or no based on the context above. I think "do you consider yourself to have a disability" is better for me since objectively I have a condition, but that condition is only a disability in certain contexts so sometimes the answer is yes and sometimes it's no. But I can see how certain people who are much worse afflicted by their conditions could bristle at that wording, because in a sense you can read it to imply that having a disability is subjective, and they conceive of their condition as objectively disabling. I think my preferred wording would just be the blunt "Do you have a disability?", I know some people would dislike that phrasing too, but I personally I'd prefer just being direct.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I also mostly lurk unless the conversation turns to things I know stuff about (linguistics, history, insurance), but I just want to say I've considered the thread an invaluable resource ever since the coalition days (when I posted more frequently) and I really appreciate reading the thoughts of the regular posters.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tesseraction posted:

Well now I need to start dropping references to universal grammar, the minutæ of the Miners Strike and how much it would cost to insure my posting fingers.

Aww thanks. I can't insure something priceless though!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Why are these stupid cunts so obsessed with pubs? The industry is dying and nobody under 30 goes to them any more, but they're all convinced they're cornerstones of the community, when in reality pubs like that are mostly populated by the same four or five bitter old twats taking up a table for the day because they hate their wives.

At least in Glasgow there's a local/central dynamic for pubs for young people. If you go to a pub in town on a Friday or Saturday night in Glasgow you'll find them packed to the gills with working age adults from 18-60. Some skew younger, some older, but there' plenty of people under 30 in them. The places that are dying are locals, because if your friends are scattered all over Glasgow because you have to take what you can get in terms of a rental, why the hell are you going to meet up in the pub that happens to be closer to one or two of you while being a trek across the city to reach for everyone else. if it's not an old man pub, it's a wetherspoons, purpose built to be somewhere you can meet your gran in for lunch and otherwise devoid of any culture or charm.

I think the deepest irony is that the thing that could actually save these places is the 15 minute city. If you live in walking distance of your work, your local is where you'll go for drinks. It's a place you could stop in at on your walk home. But no, they want us driving to offices, and driving home, and what reason is there to stop at the pub when you need to drive home? It's not like you can stop in for a drink.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
This should be the title music for every video game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV4F1tJsZL0

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've long thought all the footie games should have a Cantona Mode where you can fight the crowd

Trackmania has a manslaugher cup every season where the only way to finish the race is to land the car in the crowd, sometimes necessitating fancy tricks to flip the car into the air so it can land on the people.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tesseraction posted:

I forgot the origin of him going Tory did he actually or do we just assume because he went into cheese making?

I think he's just always been a tory, but he got into cheesemaking as part of purchasing a farm and I believe he and David Cameron were neighbours.

Apropos of nothing, this is my favourite Pulp song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I used to have quite wide ranging musical tastes but Spotify somehow decided the only new music I'll like is psychedelic folk so that's all it suggests to me now, just an endless parade of men and women with guitars and fiddles singing songs about what it's like to be a mosquito or an irish pirate queen or whatever. So now I'm way off the pulse of new music because what loving normie has ever heard of Fish In a Birdcage.

I mean, I guess it's not wrong, it's generally done a good job (if we don't count the time it tried to force me to like The Mountain Goats).

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

Speaking of which how is Argentina doing under the AnCap king?

From what I understand, he predicted his policies would initially cause a massive inflation spike and a recession (standard neoliberal economic shock therapy, basically), but that it would be quick and short. So far the first part of the prediction has come true, and it remains to be seen if the economy will return to growth as he has promised or continue to languish. He's made cuts to the budget by ditching the government's energy subsidies and fixing department budgets in place rather than increasing them with inflation (meaning real-terms cuts), but the cuts could take a while to really hit ordinary people, so he remains reasonably popular for now. His major reforms can't easily pass the argentinian legislature because the establishment parties have majorities there, so I guess it's up in the air if things go tits up whether he'll be able to blame them or have to shoulder the blame himself.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

the latest findings from researchers of that most studied piece of 20th century art, mario 64. from the guy what done the other one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsXCVsDFiXA

I'm about halfway through, it's pretty great

I still periodically think about that joke from the Bismuth video “to solve this problem, pannenkoek used his best friend pannenpaper to work out the solution” and chuckle

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
From what I understand you can only really fillibuster private members bills because of their scheduling method which doesn't have time limits on discussion so you can just endlessly debate the first one and never let the subsequent bills come up for a vote. I don't think you can normally do the same thing for a government bill, though I might be dead wrong here.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

I'm curious about the fact that the Scottish Government is now a minority administration, with 63 MPs, 2 short of a majority. So they obviously can't automatically pass confidence & supply votes. The next election isn't due until 7 May 2026, & we've never actually had an election outside of the cycle, originally every 4 years & now every 5. Apparently parliament can either be dissolved by a vote of 2/3rds of MSPs, or more likely, if a vote of confidence fails there's 28 days to appoint a new First Minister. And if the Greens aren't working with the Nats, & Alba only have 1 MSP, & the 3 Yoon parties only amount to 57 MSPs combined, so the only viable option would be the Nats working with one of the Yoon parties, & it won't be Labour because there is way too much enmity & fighting over the same voters. And it's hard to imagine it being the Tories, & honestly using the Lib Dems to prop up the government would not be popular.

So there'd be an extraordinary election. But (& this is the bit that surprised me) according to the Scotland Act that would only sit until May 2026 before another election, which really seems a bit wasteful really. But the act states that unless an Extraordinary Election is held within 6 months of when an ordinary election is due then they'll hold another ordinary election on the pre-scheduled date.

The SNP has survived as a minority administration before, for confidence and supply, don't they only need for a few MSPs to agree to abstain?

Regardless, given that Yousaf is already First Minister I think they technically only need one MSP to vote with them, since there's 129 seats but one is the presiding officer, that leaves 128 and so the SNP's 63 plus one would be a tie. If the Scottish parliament works like the westminster on ties, the speaker/presiding officer would be expected to break the tie in favour of the status quo, which would be the government remaining in office.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1784333851755516333?t=QjGhkm6C-VYzLpAGfUwpKw

Seems like that'll be the end for Yousaf. What a massive strategic blunder this week has been for the SNP, just an incredible display of weakness to stab their long-standing allies in the back, especially when Harvie and Slater were publically backing the close relationship with the SNP. There was no guarantee the Green membership was going to vote to dissolve the coalition, and even if it had resulted in a vote against, while it would have been politically damaging it wouldn't have hurt half as much as this vote is going to. If they truly believed that the Greens quitting the coalition was an unacceptable level of damage, they could have worked something out with the Green leadership to jointly dissolve the coalition, or they could have arranged a vote of the SNP membership too so both sides were voting on it.

Honestly the only thing I can imagine is that Yousaf was being threatened with resignations or challenges from within his own party and panicked because he's such a weak leader. It's just baffling. Surely they can't have been so delusional as to think that calling the two green co-leaders (who are still very popular with members as I understand it) to unceremoniously fire them on the morning of FMQs as if they're an afterthought wouldn't be seen as a treacherous insulting act. Surely they must have discussed what Alba would ask for. I'll admit I didn't expect Salmond to basically give them the political equivalent of a tradesman's "gently caress off" price, but you'd hope politicians would have their finger on the pulse better than some chump who gets most of their news via tweets in this thread. Apparently they didn't do either of those things, which just speaks to sheer incompetence on both his part and anyone in the party who is pulling his strings.

I imagine we'll soon see the news pivot onto whether the Greens will support a VONC in the whole government next, though. That's going to be dicey for them, my guess is that they'll support it if Yousaf's interim successor isn't one of the loonies who described the Greens as "extremist".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Angepain posted:

my theory is this shows just how much Salmond is aware that Alba's hosed in actual elections, the electoral pact coming before anything else because it's the only hope he'll still have MSPs after uh, whenever the next vote is. not even trying to make inroads into government

If the SNP takes any more serious blows over the next two years I wouldn't be so quick to assume they'll remain irrelevant--it's not generally been the pattern of the last few years across Europe for parties billing themselves as anti-establishment with demagogic leaders to remain irrelevant forever. Right now they're a joke but there's likely some tipping point where long-time SNP voters will start considering other options the way Tory voters in England are now, and unlike Reform who are battling against first past the post, Alba could actually pick up list seats.

I hope I'm wrong! Honestly I think the transphobia thing is going to be the albatross around their necks because notionally their original selling point was "full focus on independence" and now it's "full focus on transphobia". If they'd had the good sense not to descend into alienating anyone with non-transphobic views, they could be doing well now presenting themselves as "SNP Classic, before Sturgeon and her husband corrupted it". They basically just latched onto the first controversial thing within the Indy movement and made it their brand, and now it's a bigger part of their identity than independence, they're the nationalists who hate trans people.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mourning Due posted:

A subject I've been obsessing over lately related to this, is the death of the monoculture (at least in the West).

Pre-internet there was comparatively such a small amount of content, that you could kind of guess what your mates had read or watched recently. Like, 10 channels on telly that would actually show anything decent. 5 movie or video game magazines a month. A few radio stations. Especially if you had any sort of niche interest.

Now? Even with my mates who like all the same rubbish as me, we're never experiencing the same thing at the same time. I remember when one of the stranger things seasons came out, I was busy enough that I could only watch an episode a week. My mate binged the whole season in a day, so I couldn't really talk to him about any episodes without getting spoiled, and I couldn't expect him to remember exactly what happened when. So we just never really talked about it. Even more so than that, rather than big ticket shows, it's more likely that they'll be binging a history of video game speedruns or interesting bridges or something on Youtube, that I can't get into because it's all in-jokes, unless I go right back to the beginning. Music-wise, I'm constantly discovering cool new bands that I like, but nobody else in my core group is listening to them. The mainstream is so thoroughly owned by the bland that it's in one ear and out the other. I remember when I was a kid hearing like Marilyn Manson & SOAD & RATM on fairly mainstream stations. And if you met a new person, you could at least kind of guess the type of poo poo they might be into, because we were only exposed to such a relatively small amount of content. Now it's like, OH do you know this Youtuber who reviews old Murder she Wrote Episodes? No? Ah well, she's great. It's so much more rare to have those great "OH poo poo, you watch/listen to this poo poo too?" moments.

Since the rise of the internet it feels like there are no more cultural "waves", like grunge or early 90s hip-hop or anything. Everyone has their own catered version of the media, but they aren't experiencing it alongside many others, at least in their own local circle. We've never been more connected, but we've never felt so alone.

Yeah, I'm routinely surprised by how niche youtube stuff is, occasionally I see my Sister's or my best friend's youtube feed and its completely different creators to me. We all have people we follow with multi-million subscriber numbers that the others haven't even heard of. Literally the only thing the three of us have in common is the show Jet Lag, and that's only because I got them both into it early (and then let them use my Nebula subscription to watch it a week ahead so we're on the same episode all the time)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

keep punching joe posted:

Exceptional act of self loving by Yousaf and whatever idiot he has advising him (Kevin Pringle probably). Like a week ago this was all fine, they could have dialled back some net zero cuts, chucked the Greens a few extra bike lanes and struggled on to the GE which probably wouldn't have been as bad as the press have been portraying it.

Even if he wanted to end the Bute House Agreement he could have worked with the Green leadership to end it mutually rather than making it look like his cool power move to fire them unilaterally. What a truly pathetic act of political suicide.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

smellmycheese posted:

Can a Scotland enjoyer explain in more detail why he decided to self own in this way?

We can give the background but it's just such an objectively poor decision that we can't do more than guess as to why he chose this particular course of action where he minecrafted his career by insulting his last allies.

The background is that the SNP started this parliament with exactly half of all the seats, so technically a minority government. The SNP has been in minority government before so they have some experience with it, but having most recently been in Majority government, there was a desire to maintain that stable power so long-time ally the Greens were brought in and a coalition formed in the Bute House Agreement. This was controversial within the SNP, some really don't like the greens and wanted to stay in minority government. Others wanted a vote of the membership, the same as the Greens had. But this was during Stugeon's reign over the party, and she was able to push it through on her own authority.

Then, between the BHA and the leadership election, the Greens took centre stage on the bottle deposit scheme, which ended up being politically damaging to both the greens and the SNP as it didn't seem well planned (and there were accusations flying over who was to blame) and culminated in the UK government overriding the Scottish government to kill the plans. The narrative in the tabloids though was "reckless SNP let loony greens run wild and they hosed their flagship policy" and it seems like there's a faction of the SNP who thought that was basically accurate.

Now jump forward to the leadership election, two of the three candidates either want to scrap the coalition or "reexamine" it. Yousaf is the continuity candidate, tying himself to Sturgeon's legacy, and with that the BHA, so he promises to maintain the coalition. Yousaf wins and then mere weeks later, whoops, turns out Sturgeon's legacy might be a poison pill as the scandals and criminal probes start really rolling. My suspicion is that this blasted apart Yousaf's power base within the party, and he doesn't have the political competence to form his own new base, so everything has shifted out from under him.

Pressure grows on Yousaf to scrap the climate targets and implement the Cass review, the former being the absolute central core of the agreement between the Greens and the SNP with the latter being a direct impingement on the trans rights issues that previously only the Scottish Greens and the Sturgeon faction of the SNP were committed to. And so when he scraps the targets and has no pushback on the halting of puberty blocking prescriptions, the two things that bind the Greens to the SNP are in tatters.

The Green membership, very upset by this, demands a re-vote on the BHA. Harvie and Slater, the Green co-leaders, kind of have their hands tied here--they have to abide by their members' wishes but they want to maintain the coalition so they agree to the vote but campaign strongly for keeping it, going to far as to stake their own political futures on it, with Harvie saying he'd probably step down if the BHA is overturned--which is an act of significant self-sacrifice and loyalty to the coalition Yousaf leads, since he's popular with the Greens even if the BHA isn't. So the Green leaders are publically backing the coalition and willing to give their careers to essentially defend the government of Humza Yousaf.

And then Humza Yousaf loving stabs hem in the back, calling them in at 8am on the morning of First Ministers questions to inform them that they're fired and the coalition is over. Now gently caress off I need to get ready for a press conference to announce the same and then prep for FMQs.

--

So onto why. It's honestly baffling, you can scarcely think of a more grievious political insult to the Greens than this way of handling it. My belief is that senior SNP figures hated that the future of their government was being decided by the membership of the Scottish Green party and wanted the coalition ended before that could happen to show "strength". Yousaf, his power base in the party effectively non-existent, is too weak as a leader to resist that upset from his own party. Maybe he was faced with the choice of ending the agreement or facing a wave of resignations. A better leader would presumably have convinced the malcontents to simmer down and found another solution (even if it was just "I'll speak to the Greens and we'll come up with a plan to end the coalition mutually", giving them what they want but in a less politically devastating way).

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

This is a very good summary. Though I will say that it's not quite true that trans rights were only supported by Greens & the Sturgeon progressive bloc in the Nats. Lest we forget that the Gender Recognition Bill had the support of MSPs from every party represented at Holyrood, all but 1 Labour, 2 Tories, all Lib Dems, all Greens & 54 Nats. It passed 88 to 33, with 4 abstentions & 4 Did Not Votes at the 1st stage, & at the 2nd with 86 to 39 with 4 abstentions. Until Kieth's failure to adequately defend the bill from the veto of Westminster this bill was not particularly controversial outside of a handful of loud & thoroughly stupid Tartan Tories & Tory Tories.

That's fair, I was coming at it more from an SNP/Greens lens but it's definitely worth remembering that trans rights weren't always so controversial.

I often think about the Hayley story on Coronation Street from when I was a kid. It's certainly not a paragon of appropriate terminology, but once upon a time we had essentially a long-form multi-month story about people reckoning with their knee-jerk transphobia, getting over it, and learning to accept a trans individual as the gender they present as. Even wrestling with the fact that the law didn't recognise Hayley's gender and her and Roy's inability to get legally married, which they wanted to do. I'm not going to pretend they didn't go for some cheap laughs at Hayley's expense through this, but the overall portrayal was consistently that Hayley was no threat to anyone and just wanted to live her own life.

That was 1998. 26 years later and it's a moral panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Yeah media servers are super simple with hardly any research, you just need to tune your raspberry pi to turbo encabulation mode and ensure that its modial integrators are aligned to reduce magneto-reluctance and increase capacitive directance. Then you just fire up the hydrocoptic marzlevanes and turn the phase detractors to CM-only mode and it'll just work.