Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Kin posted:

When I think back on it, it's because there always seemed like there was something new coming out, either in music trends, media or technology, etc but things were also a bit simpler so those changes felt all the more wonderful.

The Internet and globalism also got massive and suddenly the wonder of new stuff just began to evaporate because everything felt just as iteratively advanced as the last thing.

Like, I struggle to remember many specific highlights from about 2005 to 2024, other than things like the tories getting into power, referendums on brexit/independence, the Xbox and shite like strictly taking over TV.

A subject I've been obsessing over lately related to this, is the death of the monoculture (at least in the West).

Pre-internet there was comparatively such a small amount of content, that you could kind of guess what your mates had read or watched recently. Like, 10 channels on telly that would actually show anything decent. 5 movie or video game magazines a month. A few radio stations. Especially if you had any sort of niche interest.

Now? Even with my mates who like all the same rubbish as me, we're never experiencing the same thing at the same time. I remember when one of the stranger things seasons came out, I was busy enough that I could only watch an episode a week. My mate binged the whole season in a day, so I couldn't really talk to him about any episodes without getting spoiled, and I couldn't expect him to remember exactly what happened when. So we just never really talked about it. Even more so than that, rather than big ticket shows, it's more likely that they'll be binging a history of video game speedruns or interesting bridges or something on Youtube, that I can't get into because it's all in-jokes, unless I go right back to the beginning. Music-wise, I'm constantly discovering cool new bands that I like, but nobody else in my core group is listening to them. The mainstream is so thoroughly owned by the bland that it's in one ear and out the other. I remember when I was a kid hearing like Marilyn Manson & SOAD & RATM on fairly mainstream stations. And if you met a new person, you could at least kind of guess the type of poo poo they might be into, because we were only exposed to such a relatively small amount of content. Now it's like, OH do you know this Youtuber who reviews old Murder she Wrote Episodes? No? Ah well, she's great. It's so much more rare to have those great "OH poo poo, you watch/listen to this poo poo too?" moments.

Since the rise of the internet it feels like there are no more cultural "waves", like grunge or early 90s hip-hop or anything. Everyone has their own catered version of the media, but they aren't experiencing it alongside many others, at least in their own local circle. We've never been more connected, but we've never felt so alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

keep punching joe posted:

Those foreign students are a real drain on the state, with their boundless wealth and huge tuition and rental fees.

And other countries' having paid to raise them to adulthood. Deport these opposite-of-freeloaders, now!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

The physical shape and functionality of the iphone leads directly to lovely infinite scroll vertical pane web design.

Like I've had to use mobile devices for work for the past 11 years and I will continue to assert that the proliferation of touchscreen devices have only made it worse because you spend far more time dealing with lovely touchscreen interfaces for everything and the dickheads who dictate the tasks expect you to do a bunch of extra stuff that mobile devices can do, but do badly because they do everything badly, so you have to spend even more time doing them instead of it simply being "no you can't do that without a desktop, so it isn't getting done"

The theoretical ability for a device to do something encourages people to try and make doing that thing a requirement or a key feature, even if it does it poorly, and so people end up spending more time working with fundamentally bad tools that are aggravating to work with.

I ordered and installed an aftermarket Android car stereo replacement for my 2010 kia--it's got a gps antenna and bluetooth input, and i can use the steering wheel buttons to change the music track and stuff. That's the way integration should be done, if it tried to do it the other way, make me bash the screen to wipe my windows or something I'd throw it out the loving window.

muscle memory and tactile feedback are excellent ways of controlling a giant moving steel box. it's like none of these idiots ever tried driving in a video game

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Touch screens are good for two things: drawing (with a non-capacitive stylus) and little babby point at what your want usage. in all other circumstances the interface imposes restrictions on the functionality, it doesn't add anything to it.

...unless you want to argue it can replace every other input device, which isn't exactly wrong, but you need an "extremely shittily" qualifier in there or you're an idiot

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mourning Due posted:

A subject I've been obsessing over lately related to this, is the death of the monoculture (at least in the West).

Pre-internet there was comparatively such a small amount of content, that you could kind of guess what your mates had read or watched recently. Like, 10 channels on telly that would actually show anything decent. 5 movie or video game magazines a month. A few radio stations. Especially if you had any sort of niche interest.

Now? Even with my mates who like all the same rubbish as me, we're never experiencing the same thing at the same time. I remember when one of the stranger things seasons came out, I was busy enough that I could only watch an episode a week. My mate binged the whole season in a day, so I couldn't really talk to him about any episodes without getting spoiled, and I couldn't expect him to remember exactly what happened when. So we just never really talked about it. Even more so than that, rather than big ticket shows, it's more likely that they'll be binging a history of video game speedruns or interesting bridges or something on Youtube, that I can't get into because it's all in-jokes, unless I go right back to the beginning. Music-wise, I'm constantly discovering cool new bands that I like, but nobody else in my core group is listening to them. The mainstream is so thoroughly owned by the bland that it's in one ear and out the other. I remember when I was a kid hearing like Marilyn Manson & SOAD & RATM on fairly mainstream stations. And if you met a new person, you could at least kind of guess the type of poo poo they might be into, because we were only exposed to such a relatively small amount of content. Now it's like, OH do you know this Youtuber who reviews old Murder she Wrote Episodes? No? Ah well, she's great. It's so much more rare to have those great "OH poo poo, you watch/listen to this poo poo too?" moments.

Since the rise of the internet it feels like there are no more cultural "waves", like grunge or early 90s hip-hop or anything. Everyone has their own catered version of the media, but they aren't experiencing it alongside many others, at least in their own local circle. We've never been more connected, but we've never felt so alone.

Honestly, I think this is part of "the kids are woke" is coming from. Politics is the only communal experience left. The only thing you can be certain to have seen at the same time as other people is a breaking news story. This isn't perfect (political polarisation and pigeonholing is a thing) but I think it's a large part of it - political/social beliefs and ideology is the marker of cultural identity.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
:toot:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The first two ways in which I've seen this story are now a Peep Show meme and Bweaking NuWus

The future is weird

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Post the peep show meme

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Those foreign students are a real drain on the state, with their boundless wealth and huge tuition and rental fees.

I know the answer is "racism poisons the soul" but there's something remarkable about seeking to dismantle a £27B export industry on principle alone.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Microplastics posted:

Post the peep show meme

Can't find it now because Facebook is terrible but imagine the Blair resignation jam scene but with the word Humza lazily put over the word Blair

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

pitch a fitness posted:

I know the answer is "racism poisons the soul" but there's something remarkable about seeking to dismantle a £27B export industry on principle alone.

And a hugely important and successful industry too. That money's spread through the whole economy and there's massive soft power in being the place where tens of thousands of clever, ambitious young people from all over the world choose to complete their education. We don't even require polluting factories to get the money either, we're literally just putting bums on seats!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Exceptional act of self loving by Yousaf and whatever idiot he has advising him (Kevin Pringle probably). Like a week ago this was all fine, they could have dialled back some net zero cuts, chucked the Greens a few extra bike lanes and struggled on to the GE which probably wouldn't have been as bad as the press have been portraying it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mourning Due posted:

Yeah, I'm routinely surprised by how niche youtube stuff is, occasionally I see my Sister's or my best friend's youtube feed and its completely different creators to me. We all have people we follow with multi-million subscriber numbers that the others haven't even heard of. Literally the only thing the three of us have in common is the show Jet Lag, and that's only because I got them both into it early (and then let them use my Nebula subscription to watch it a week ahead so we're on the same episode all the time)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Exceptional act of self loving by Yousaf and whatever idiot he has advising him (Kevin Pringle probably). Like a week ago this was all fine, they could have dialled back some net zero cuts, chucked the Greens a few extra bike lanes and struggled on to the GE which probably wouldn't have been as bad as the press have been portraying it.

Even if he wanted to end the Bute House Agreement he could have worked with the Green leadership to end it mutually rather than making it look like his cool power move to fire them unilaterally. What a truly pathetic act of political suicide.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

He absolutely shat it. I don't know who is in his ear but you can probably tell by the giant red red shoes on his feet and big red nose

No loving idea what ghoul they will replace him with but I've certainly got the fear

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Can a Scotland enjoyer explain in more detail why he decided to self own in this way?

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

We don't even require polluting factories to get the money either, we're literally just putting bums on seats!
And even many of my students see that aspect as optional :v:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

smellmycheese posted:

Can a Scotland enjoyer explain in more detail why he decided to self own in this way?

Incompetence, and lack of awareness and understanding.

He’s poo poo the bed on every ministerial brief he’s had. Yet spectacularly managed to fail upwards.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

smellmycheese posted:

Green Party members floated leaving government. He decided to be the big strong man and sack them. Once done realised that he now leads a minority government against 100% hostile opposition and a party going through internal strife.

He has no political nous basically, and laid a big trap for himself that he then walked right into.

forkboy84 posted:

No loving idea what ghoul they will replace him with but I've certainly got the fear

Good option Jenny Gilruth
Based option Mhairi Black
Boring option Angus Robertson or any interchangeable nerd in a suit
Likely option insane protestant lady

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 29, 2024

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

smellmycheese posted:

he's worried about his right flank within the party as there have been a few rebellions from the Forbes' wing over culture war stuff + net zero. think people thought the greens would be a pushover (objectively not true as anyone who saw budget negotiations over the last few years will know they play hardball) and then still back him. greens are actually very very democratic as a party apparatus so if the members decide gently caress you, that's the party line

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/scotland/2024/04/scotlands-old-order-plots-a-restoration good article here from one of the few journalists who actually has a loving clue what they're talking about wrt Scottish politics

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

whatever idiot he has advising him (Kevin Pringle probably).

So would u say that after all this, Pringle will get... canned?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I wonder if that Wee Free religious nut will get the job, she creaped me out last time.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
it's almost irrelevant who gets the job as they have only two options to pass legislation: work with the greens or work with the unionists (who absolutely will not work with them)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If the Tories are planning a 100-day policy blitz after the locals, then they're probably calling a GE immediately after. That would put it at around September 19th. They might do it a couple of weeks earlier though, to catch out students in transit.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Bozza posted:

it's almost irrelevant who gets the job as they have only two options to pass legislation: work with the greens or work with the unionists (who absolutely will not work with them)

the fun bonus comedy option is work with the 1 MSP that defected to Alba to get a precise draw in votes, which will mean he survives confidence motions but can do basically nothing else

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Can the guy not do basic sums?

Why the gently caress would you tear up a working arrangement and put yourself into a minority administration like that?? I'm baffled, it's such a stupid political move to make.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Whoever it is the opposition parties can basically redo this ad campaign again

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

smellmycheese posted:

We can give the background but it's just such an objectively poor decision that we can't do more than guess as to why he chose this particular course of action where he minecrafted his career by insulting his last allies.

The background is that the SNP started this parliament with exactly half of all the seats, so technically a minority government. The SNP has been in minority government before so they have some experience with it, but having most recently been in Majority government, there was a desire to maintain that stable power so long-time ally the Greens were brought in and a coalition formed in the Bute House Agreement. This was controversial within the SNP, some really don't like the greens and wanted to stay in minority government. Others wanted a vote of the membership, the same as the Greens had. But this was during Stugeon's reign over the party, and she was able to push it through on her own authority.

Then, between the BHA and the leadership election, the Greens took centre stage on the bottle deposit scheme, which ended up being politically damaging to both the greens and the SNP as it didn't seem well planned (and there were accusations flying over who was to blame) and culminated in the UK government overriding the Scottish government to kill the plans. The narrative in the tabloids though was "reckless SNP let loony greens run wild and they hosed their flagship policy" and it seems like there's a faction of the SNP who thought that was basically accurate.

Now jump forward to the leadership election, two of the three candidates either want to scrap the coalition or "reexamine" it. Yousaf is the continuity candidate, tying himself to Sturgeon's legacy, and with that the BHA, so he promises to maintain the coalition. Yousaf wins and then mere weeks later, whoops, turns out Sturgeon's legacy might be a poison pill as the scandals and criminal probes start really rolling. My suspicion is that this blasted apart Yousaf's power base within the party, and he doesn't have the political competence to form his own new base, so everything has shifted out from under him.

Pressure grows on Yousaf to scrap the climate targets and implement the Cass review, the former being the absolute central core of the agreement between the Greens and the SNP with the latter being a direct impingement on the trans rights issues that previously only the Scottish Greens and the Sturgeon faction of the SNP were committed to. And so when he scraps the targets and has no pushback on the halting of puberty blocking prescriptions, the two things that bind the Greens to the SNP are in tatters.

The Green membership, very upset by this, demands a re-vote on the BHA. Harvie and Slater, the Green co-leaders, kind of have their hands tied here--they have to abide by their members' wishes but they want to maintain the coalition so they agree to the vote but campaign strongly for keeping it, going to far as to stake their own political futures on it, with Harvie saying he'd probably step down if the BHA is overturned--which is an act of significant self-sacrifice and loyalty to the coalition Yousaf leads, since he's popular with the Greens even if the BHA isn't. So the Green leaders are publically backing the coalition and willing to give their careers to essentially defend the government of Humza Yousaf.

And then Humza Yousaf loving stabs hem in the back, calling them in at 8am on the morning of First Ministers questions to inform them that they're fired and the coalition is over. Now gently caress off I need to get ready for a press conference to announce the same and then prep for FMQs.

--

So onto why. It's honestly baffling, you can scarcely think of a more grievious political insult to the Greens than this way of handling it. My belief is that senior SNP figures hated that the future of their government was being decided by the membership of the Scottish Green party and wanted the coalition ended before that could happen to show "strength". Yousaf, his power base in the party effectively non-existent, is too weak as a leader to resist that upset from his own party. Maybe he was faced with the choice of ending the agreement or facing a wave of resignations. A better leader would presumably have convinced the malcontents to simmer down and found another solution (even if it was just "I'll speak to the Greens and we'll come up with a plan to end the coalition mutually", giving them what they want but in a less politically devastating way).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So what you're saying is that it's because of woke?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
so long Greens! i rev up my political career and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates im lying completely dead on the pavement

Apparently 'Truss' is synonymous with 'massive financial gently caress up' now

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Reveilled posted:

We can give the background but it's just such an objectively poor decision that we can't do more than guess as to why he chose this particular course of action where he minecrafted his career by insulting his last allies.

The background is that the SNP started this parliament with exactly half of all the seats, so technically a minority government. The SNP has been in minority government before so they have some experience with it, but having most recently been in Majority government, there was a desire to maintain that stable power so long-time ally the Greens were brought in and a coalition formed in the Bute House Agreement. This was controversial within the SNP, some really don't like the greens and wanted to stay in minority government. Others wanted a vote of the membership, the same as the Greens had. But this was during Stugeon's reign over the party, and she was able to push it through on her own authority.

Then, between the BHA and the leadership election, the Greens took centre stage on the bottle deposit scheme, which ended up being politically damaging to both the greens and the SNP as it didn't seem well planned (and there were accusations flying over who was to blame) and culminated in the UK government overriding the Scottish government to kill the plans. The narrative in the tabloids though was "reckless SNP let loony greens run wild and they hosed their flagship policy" and it seems like there's a faction of the SNP who thought that was basically accurate.

Now jump forward to the leadership election, two of the three candidates either want to scrap the coalition or "reexamine" it. Yousaf is the continuity candidate, tying himself to Sturgeon's legacy, and with that the BHA, so he promises to maintain the coalition. Yousaf wins and then mere weeks later, whoops, turns out Sturgeon's legacy might be a poison pill as the scandals and criminal probes start really rolling. My suspicion is that this blasted apart Yousaf's power base within the party, and he doesn't have the political competence to form his own new base, so everything has shifted out from under him.

Pressure grows on Yousaf to scrap the climate targets and implement the Cass review, the former being the absolute central core of the agreement between the Greens and the SNP with the latter being a direct impingement on the trans rights issues that previously only the Scottish Greens and the Sturgeon faction of the SNP were committed to. And so when he scraps the targets and has no pushback on the halting of puberty blocking prescriptions, the two things that bind the Greens to the SNP are in tatters.

The Green membership, very upset by this, demands a re-vote on the BHA. Harvie and Slater, the Green co-leaders, kind of have their hands tied here--they have to abide by their members' wishes but they want to maintain the coalition so they agree to the vote but campaign strongly for keeping it, going to far as to stake their own political futures on it, with Harvie saying he'd probably step down if the BHA is overturned--which is an act of significant self-sacrifice and loyalty to the coalition Yousaf leads, since he's popular with the Greens even if the BHA isn't. So the Green leaders are publically backing the coalition and willing to give their careers to essentially defend the government of Humza Yousaf.

And then Humza Yousaf loving stabs hem in the back, calling them in at 8am on the morning of First Ministers questions to inform them that they're fired and the coalition is over. Now gently caress off I need to get ready for a press conference to announce the same and then prep for FMQs.

--

So onto why. It's honestly baffling, you can scarcely think of a more grievious political insult to the Greens than this way of handling it. My belief is that senior SNP figures hated that the future of their government was being decided by the membership of the Scottish Green party and wanted the coalition ended before that could happen to show "strength". Yousaf, his power base in the party effectively non-existent, is too weak as a leader to resist that upset from his own party. Maybe he was faced with the choice of ending the agreement or facing a wave of resignations. A better leader would presumably have convinced the malcontents to simmer down and found another solution (even if it was just "I'll speak to the Greens and we'll come up with a plan to end the coalition mutually", giving them what they want but in a less politically devastating way).

This is a very good summary. Though I will say that it's not quite true that trans rights were only supported by Greens & the Sturgeon progressive bloc in the Nats. Lest we forget that the Gender Recognition Bill had the support of MSPs from every party represented at Holyrood, all but 1 Labour, 2 Tories, all Lib Dems, all Greens & 54 Nats. It passed 88 to 33, with 4 abstentions & 4 Did Not Votes at the 1st stage, & at the 2nd with 86 to 39 with 4 abstentions. Until Kieth's failure to adequately defend the bill from the veto of Westminster this bill was not particularly controversial outside of a handful of loud & thoroughly stupid Tartan Tories & Tory Tories.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Also, as an aside, Coral have released odds for next SNP Leader.
Kate Forbes 1-2
Neil Gray 2-1
Mairi McAllan 7-2
Jenny Gilruth 5-1
Ash Regan 6-1(!!!!!!!!)
John Swinney 8-1
Fergus Ewing 16-1

I have never toxxed before because I don't actually have access to a credit/debit card currently so if I get banned I'm getting banned for a while, until I sort out my finances some time in the 2040s. But Fergus Ewing at 16-1 is loving wild. I cannot imagine what constituency he has with members or parliamentarians that Kate Forbes doesn't have aside from that cursed Ewing name. Both Highland conservative Nats. Also Ash Regan even being listed seems like someone noticed she ran last time out but didn't notice she quit the party.

The Record's Political Editor has been suggesting some in the Nats want John Swinney, which feels like the Tories in 2005 re-electing William Hague as leader instead of going to David Cameron. He was not successful first time round & if the best you can offer is Swinney then we might as well give up and let the Wee Free sink independence for a generation or more in the hope poisoning that well. I don't loving know.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Banging clipboard *Jenny Gilruth JEnny Gilruth JENNY GILRUTH*

any FM will be reliant on other parties to get poo poo done and she probably has scotlab contacts she can work with given who she's married to.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Banging clipboard *Jenny Gilruth JEnny Gilruth JENNY GILRUTH*

any FM will be reliant on other parties to get poo poo done and she probably has scotlab contacts she can work with given who she's married to.

Oh, she's Kezia's wife. OK, she has my support now, an openly queer leader will hopefully cause Fergus to have a coronary. Or join Alba, whatever, end result is he finally stops being my MSP

I know nothing about Neil Gray, Mairi McAllan is a child, as well as being a former SpAd which rarely is encouraging though at least she wasn't SpAd for some of the heidbangers.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 29, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Just Another Lurker posted:

I wonder if that Wee Free religious nut will get the job, she creaped me out last time.
I've just finished reading a biography of Tommy Douglas, the Scottish Presbyterian minister turned Canadian socialist politician, and it's made me sad that there once were a bunch of super prods who used that fire in their belly against the oil barons and private utilities, now replaced with culture war weirdos. Less of her, bring back more of

quote:

Don’t sacrifice conviction for success. Don’t ever give up on quality for quantity. In a movement like ours, as socialist movements around the world have demonstrated, we’re not just interested in getting votes…. We are seeking to get people who are willing to dedicate their lives to building a different kind of society … a society founded on the principles of concern for human well being and human welfare.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I've just finished reading a biography of Tommy Douglas, the Scottish Presbyterian minister turned Canadian socialist politician, and it's made me sad that there once were a bunch of super prods who used that fire in their belly against the oil barons and private utilities, now replaced with culture war weirdos. Less of her, bring back more of

It's the same here. There was crossover with the Wee Frees up here & the Highland Land League, for example the MP returned for Ross & Cromarty, Roderick MacDonald was educated at the Free Church Normal School in Glasgow, which was a teacher college. The Highland Land League were heavily influenced by the Irish Land League & were willing to use direct action as well as supporting candidates for the Crofters' Party (there were 5 MPs returned from the Highlands in 1885 who were endorsed by the League), such as rent strikes & just occupying land, essentially rural squatting. The group's motto was "Is treasa tuath na tighearna", approximately the people are mightier than the Lord.

And today we get bloodless reactionaries offer nothing radical economically to go with their social conservatism.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

This is a very good summary. Though I will say that it's not quite true that trans rights were only supported by Greens & the Sturgeon progressive bloc in the Nats. Lest we forget that the Gender Recognition Bill had the support of MSPs from every party represented at Holyrood, all but 1 Labour, 2 Tories, all Lib Dems, all Greens & 54 Nats. It passed 88 to 33, with 4 abstentions & 4 Did Not Votes at the 1st stage, & at the 2nd with 86 to 39 with 4 abstentions. Until Kieth's failure to adequately defend the bill from the veto of Westminster this bill was not particularly controversial outside of a handful of loud & thoroughly stupid Tartan Tories & Tory Tories.

That's fair, I was coming at it more from an SNP/Greens lens but it's definitely worth remembering that trans rights weren't always so controversial.

I often think about the Hayley story on Coronation Street from when I was a kid. It's certainly not a paragon of appropriate terminology, but once upon a time we had essentially a long-form multi-month story about people reckoning with their knee-jerk transphobia, getting over it, and learning to accept a trans individual as the gender they present as. Even wrestling with the fact that the law didn't recognise Hayley's gender and her and Roy's inability to get legally married, which they wanted to do. I'm not going to pretend they didn't go for some cheap laughs at Hayley's expense through this, but the overall portrayal was consistently that Hayley was no threat to anyone and just wanted to live her own life.

That was 1998. 26 years later and it's a moral panic.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I saw this quote from everyone's least favourite Labour Leader on the Guardian liveblog

quote:

I despair at the situation in Scotland – it’s absolute chaos now from the Scottish parliament, from the SNP. So you’ve got chaos in the Scottish parliament, chaos in the Westminster parliament.

And the Scottish people are being fundamentally let down. One in seven are on waiting lists, there’s a cost of living crisis and all the SNP can offer is chaos.

We’ve got to turn the page on this now – we need that general election and a fresh start.

OK, standard fare at the start but going from that to "we need a general election" just makes it sound like he doesn't realise that the Scottish elections are different to the Westminster ones.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

pitch a fitness posted:

And even many of my students see that aspect as optional :v:

One of my nephews was supposed to do a year at Brown University in the US as part of his degree which was in a humanities type subject.
He was horrified to discover that a good % of the marks were awarded for just turning up and classes at 8am!
He was used to the UK system of putting in an appearance occasionally for the "quizzes" (how I hate that word instead of "tests" but I digress) & focus on the reading & coursework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

forkboy84 posted:

OK, standard fare at the start but going from that to "we need a general election" just makes it sound like he doesn't realise that the Scottish elections are different to the Westminster ones.

For a long time now we've had a whole bunch of fundamentally unserious people in politics who don't seem to have much of a grasp of how the system works at all sorts of levels but the amount the whole thing's bent to accomodate and protect them means it doesn't actually have any consequences for them. They kind of just say whatever they like and pretend whatever happens was what they want to do all along.

Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak as those kids at the amusement arcade "playing" the "insert coin" screen, in a Tory Power Stance.