Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm glad someone else noticed this. You'd think of all places London would have an amazing nightlife, but in my experience literally everything but clubs closed at like 10/11pm. I remember walking around Covent Garden, which I thought was one of the nightlife hotspots, getting on for midnight and just thinking what the hell, why is nothing open, it's a Saturday night, and I've had similar happen in Camden. I think I ended up in a Brewdog of all places because it was all I could find, and even that closed soon after. Granted, this might be because I didn't know the city very well. Maybe places exist, but you clearly need to be in the know, which is baffling for one of the world's biggest cities. I guess it's probably because everything is a lot closer together, but places like Glasgow, Edinburgh, or Newcastle are a much better night out imho.

This is all supporting my theory that central London is not a real city and the only people going out there are the after work crowd and tourists. I'm guessing I'd have better luck in one of the outlying boroughs, given they function as self contained cities in their own right a lot of the time.

The idea of being able to do anything other than get pissed in Edinburgh (or probably Glasgow) when it gets late is a bit of a laugh. A few nice coffee places stay open til 10 and some of those dessert cafes do. After that, there's a handful of sit-down restaurants that stay open til 11ish and takeaways and the 24 hours greggs in the centre of glasgow, but once you get past midnight you've basically got takeaways with queues of drunk people or maybe a 24 hour convenience store/supermarket if you're in a bit of the city that has one.

The idea of being able to go to a late night diner or coffee shop after the club like people in the US could when I was the age I still went clubbing a lot was wild to me. A university friend back in the 90s had lived in Hong Kong and said it was baffling how cities here just shut down at night, when he was used to being able to go out, go shopping, get meals, all that stuff and whatever time without it just being "okay it's late evening, you can either go to a venue that sells booze or you can be at home."

Glasgow and the north of England are still definitely a good time for nightlife in the partying sense tho.

Edit: I am middle aged and tired tho, so if you're young and fun I guess there's probably more stuff to do and wild nightlife in places I never even hear about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh true, and it would be nice to have a wider variety of non-drinking things to do at night in general, but I was very much looking for a pint!

Yeah sorry it's just a sore point that I get really frustrated about! Soho seemed marginally better when I was there doing tourist stuff for things staying open a little later, but only by an hour or two for regular pubs, it was then cocktail places and clubs left.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

keep punching joe posted:

Hot cross buns are poo poo. Crap teir cake.

If you're in the "sweet stuff like maple syrup is good with bacon" camp then using a hot cross bun for a bacon roll is pretty great.

Not as good as a morning roll and brown sauce tho obvs.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Starbucks posted:

Also, there is a chocolate cake called a “Bruce” which has a decent cake to ganache ratio.

https://www.get-baked.co.uk/products/bruce

Bruce is great! Had a piece of a slice recently and was delicious

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

It may also be because of the

effect. All the kids are using platforms that are away from legacy media now, and because none of them are looking to legacy media for news or lifestyle advice, that media has no reason to care about what they're doing unless it's giving nitrous to pitbulls to make them into zombie rappers or some poo poo, so there's just not going to be any of the new fashion trends even commented on.

As someone in middle age, it's weird but kinda awesome/kinda horrifying when you go to an event that you think will be people like yourself but instead its packed with young folk who are clearly from Some Other Subculture that exists entirely separately to the kind of events you see on facebook/insta etc. I mean, its not cool feeling like Weird Old Dude at an event, but it's great knowing that all that stuff is going on and there's exciting poo poo happening when the stuff you yourself like is slowly fading away as people age out.

Edit: people my age trying to insist only the music from their youth is The Good Music is the most embarrassing thing. One of my IRL friends does this any time he finds someone younger to listen to him and it's exactly like my dad telling me that this Metallica band I liked as a teen wouldn't amount to much, now the Beatles there was a REAL band.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 15, 2024

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There will (not) be adequate food https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/apr/16/uk-facing-food-shortages-and-price-rises-after-extreme-weather.

Sounds like things on track to get rougher for cost of living and for businesses. Grim stuff given how screwed many already are.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Zalakwe posted:

I'm in an "album club" that started over lockdown. Four of us pick an album each for everyone to listen to and chat about over a week. Really useful for new stuff but I am always in the hunt for more.

If you use Bluesky, there's a couple of different feeds you can subscribe to which automatically scrape for any posts with a bandcamp link in them - just search for 'bandcamp' in the Discover New Feeds box. You generally need to mute a couple of radio station bots that link to everything they play othewise it gets a bit much, but once you've done that it's a nice way of just being able to occasionally dip into what people you don't know are posting about and seeing if any of it is interesting.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

What are Nurgle's pronouns?

Well it's often 'Father Nurgle' so I guess even if we don't know pronouns, you know that you can call them Daddy at least.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Had to explain this to the yanks who only know the term gooning as in having a wank https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1783142125770592533

lmao they've changed the headline cause people were laughing at them https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/apr/24/anne-hathaway-gooner-arsenal-fc

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dead Goon posted:

I registered my Google email address many moons ago as firstname.lastname@gmail.com, and I occasionally get emails for firstnamelastname@gmail.com, for what it's worth.

Same, my google email has a dot between the first and last name, but I regularly get emails that are clearly sent to the email address written without the dot (which I can't otherwise access, to be clear). Sadly, it's never anything very interesting or entertaining. I thought about joining Nextdoor for some random community in the USA posing as my name twin when I got an invite sent to their email address arriving in my inbox, but then decided against it. Given nothing personal has ever turned up - mostly just mailing list type things, I'm assuming it's just an address they mostly use to fill in forms rather than for anything useful. Kind of curious if they receive their own copy of the mails that arrive with me or get any of mine, because I've never really noticed that any emails that I'm expecting myself haven't arrived.

It's still a ridiculous bug to have though, but I guess people probably just live with it rather than report it.