Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Zalakwe posted:

I wonder if this result will embolden the left within Labour and if so embolden them to do what exactly.

Strikes me that it would be a very good time to launch something new. I can't see it and even if they did I am not sure how likely they are to pull it off well but there won't be many better opportunities. At the very least it should strengthen their hand internally.

Nah, if the left of Labour split now they'd all get ChUK'd out of their seats at the next election.

Smart move is to do it after the election. Might even be able to become the Opposition if Labour win silly amounts of seats and crush the Tories into double figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Arthur Henderson, the former Labour leader, is another with Churchill in the 5 constituency club.

Henderson also gained all of those five seats in by-elections which I believe is a record.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1763740228190114154?s=20

It's going to be a funny few months

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

The more that time passes, the more I keep confusing him with Matt LeBlanc.

They're a similar size these days

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Mebh posted:

I mean, most of us were younger and didn't have the experience to do anything but believe that they were offering good things, so you vote for the good things! Hindsight being 20/20 and all it's easy to say they were obviously poo poo.

To the more politically experienced folks at the time in the thread, was it that obvious before the GE that they were full of poo poo? I remember political satire at the time slamming the Tories and blair a lot and taking the piss out of the lib Dems, but not much else.

There was a definite cohort of wise posters at the time saying "look at the Orange Book ffs" but with the hubris of youth we all ignored them.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

We're like a decade from the Poles complaining about all those damned Brits coming over there, taking their jobs, opening their weird fish and chip shops, and not even learning the language.

As if any Brits actually know how to run a decent chip shop, the best two local to me are Chinese- and Portuguese-operated.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

mustard was brought by the romans from africa

BRING BACK TRADITIONAL BRITTISH FOOD

(it's just nettles)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Lol Jeremy oval office has hosed Labour's plans by abolishing non-dom status and spending the money on tax cuts instead of the NHS.

Reeves is going to have to find a new money tree

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Gwaint posted:

He looks less like he's closely reading and considering the information, and more like he's thinking "wait poo poo where's pages 4-7 gone, this poo poo is useless now"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i suspect most of the people closest to him are all big LFI dickheads

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Presumably he asked for a safer Labour seat, they offered him Mid Sussex & said "there's no other way".

:golfclap:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

RIP our flourishing natural ecosystem (of grot)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Rarity posted:

No that's me :v:

Please stop hiding in the woods and corrupting teenagers

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Tezza May standing down as an MP at the election. There's hardly going to be any Tories left at this rate (except the red and ones)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

The Bang Bus for solo artists

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

a banjo possibly the whitest of all instruments.

Hmm.

My vote is for the harpsichord although I'd be excited to be proven wrong

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

He can't be detained at his own pleasure.

seriousanswer, at that point he'd be wrecking the entire monarchy and would be made to abdicate

Listen, what are Wills has done to him for his own pleasure is between him and his wife Rose Hanbury.

(allegedly)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

King Chuck looks more and more like his mam

(dead)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

We're all just killing time for the Coming of the Pauls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGwj6XbtlPA

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

Remember when Corbyn suggested adding more bank holidays to the calendar to bring us up to something like the European norm? I'm pretty sure the suggested dates included one to mark the passing of the Slave Trade Act in March and one for Trafalgar Day in October, which should be very 'gammon friendly'. But of course it was all about how Labour didn't want people to work and You Can't Just Give People Time Off Work Jeremy and all that other poo poo.

I thought the idea was to give everyone all the Patron Saints days off regardless of where in the UK you are. Does leave far too many in the Spring though what with Easter and everything.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Convex posted:

Who the gently caress do I vote for now there are two openly fascist parties and a third that will mindlessly go along with whatever they propose if it gets them so much as a mention in the local paper

Greens, SNP/Plaid if applicable, or whatever funky little group of leftist weirdos might be running in your constituency (nb make sure they're not sex pests)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Get Cameron back in to go full circle. Maybe announce a do-over on the Brexit Referendum while you're at it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

No it's going to be the echr referendum because things are only allowed to get worse.

That seems more likely. But Lord Cameron returning after eight years of shite and saying "see, I told you all it was a bad idea, but I'm here now to take us back to the glory days of the 2012 Olympics." would be pretty funny when Labour are still in full "we won't even think about rejoining, honest" mode.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68569676

Watch Rishi start a loving war lol

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

crispix posted:

it is red nose day did yous wear funny nose and head shave bath of beans for to raise money for the starving children in africa hehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehehhehehehe :holy:

I have a cold and went for a run in the rain so my nose is suitably red thanks.

Who can afford a bath of beans in this economy?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

To paraphrase the old saying, it's better to call them out and have them think you're incapable than attempt it and end up proving it (and have to call them everywhere) (and have loads of shitey water everywhere).

Even if it probably is just the outer bit of the valve and no more difficult than replacing the o ring on a tap, I'd rather not mess with radiator valves.

Plumbing's just water lego.

As long as you've got a bucket and a towel handy there's a limited amount of water that will come pissing out of there (assuming you're not simultaneously filling the system for some reason, make sure your boiler doesn't do that automatically or anything) so buy a part, grab an adjustable spanner and go hog wild attempt the replacement. Worst case you leave your heating off until you can get someone proper in to fix your gently caress up, best case you learn a new skill and are more confident the next time.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I'll do pretty much anything around the house but plumbing is one thing I dont touch because you can think what you've done is absolutely fine and then a few years later your ceiling caves in because its been leaking slowly the entire time.

I'm wary of anything hidden away (although I've just installed a new toilet that involves some boxed in pipework) but a radiator valve is pretty visible. If it starts leaking slowly... well, it looks like how it already does.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Your union may also provide (non-work related) legal advice as a benefit of membership, worth checking.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Owen Jones has finally got it

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/21/labour-party-cancelling-membership-policies

e: for the second time on this page, in fact!

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 21, 2024

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Rarity posted:

You can ask for WFH as part of disability reasonable adjustments (which covers anxiety/mental health). They can still be lovely about it but it's a valid request

In fact anyone can ask for it as a statutory flexible working request!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Affairs, huh?

I knew it!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

If there was any justice left, Labour would view Jones’ leaving the party like a coal mine canary. But there’s no sense of self-awareness any more, and the slide more and more into the right continues.

Luke Akehurst will be celebrating another one of "them" successfully driven out.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T8qwVjfvms
Were You There When They Made Him Into A Bread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37feqeZ3DW4

"Christ comes back to life every Sunday in the form of a bowl of crackers, and then you proceed to just eat the man?"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Well, that's not the responce I was hoping for

Imagine not being blocked by Akehurst on Twitter

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Sometimes the sunset makes the woke sky say trans rights, clearly we need to nuke it

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Yeah but the reason the rates are so (relatively) low compared to other forms of consumer debt is that the underlying house security will stay or grow in value.

If houses were instead a high-risk investment then mortgages would be unaffordable, you'd be looking at 10%-15% interest rate, which compounds very quickly.

otoh if houses were shittier investment opportunities they'd be cheaper, and then more people could reasonably buy them to, you know, live in, instead of leveraging themselves to the balls in mortgages that they'll work their whole lives to pay off or renting forever and having nothing at the end of it. Maybe, idk.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

the online gambling leeches who corrupted my wife

I call them Gamblor!

(sorry about your situation smc, sounds like an absolute bastard of a thing to have happened to you both)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1772678660207624233

Keir Mather is now a loving Labour whip

I thought whips were meant to be bullies with the power to threaten and intimidate?....

Vote the way you're supposed to or I'M TELLING!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I work on an old machinist chair, it's probably not the most ergonomic but it looks pretty rad

Like this one but less hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Jowling Kowling etc. having a normal one today