Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I am a serial puppy snuggler and anyone who tries to stop me is going to regret it. When my dog looks at them all sad and mournfully licks them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Nah I'm pretty sure I've heard "smuggling puppies" used in that sense too. It sounds like a very '00s lad's mag phrasing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm not going to go for the bat for the guy crying about being on £75k but you'd think the fact people like that are starting to feel the squeeze would be more concerning to those in power. If you're losing the comfortable professionals then who is even left to support the interparty Tory consensus apart from landlords and pensioners?

UK wages are just absurdly low overall. Every now and then I wonder how it would look to move back home, and for me it would entail something like a 40-50% drop in salary, while the cost of living somewhere I'd actually find work is only about 10-15% lower (rent and transport likely cost more, food, household stuff and services cost less, utilities probably comparable). And I'd end up paying more tax, with much worse public services and working conditions.

We're like a decade from the Poles complaining about all those damned Brits coming over there, taking their jobs, opening their weird fish and chip shops, and not even learning the language.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

keep punching joe posted:

Found another article with rich people moaning about their lot in life

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/saving-and-banking/new-pip-system-scrapping-iht-budget-help-2927353

quote:

Jessica would like to see significant changes to how landlords are taxed.

To be fair I would also like to see this.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The safest car for both occupants and other road users is a bus. Unfortunately the state running cheap and frequent buses where people actually need to go is communism, so the only remaining solution is to keep increasing the size of cars until they are effectively buses with only 1-2 passengers, driven by yer hungover da who got his license in 1979 and is fiddling with the radio rather than looking at the road. This is called the best of both worlds.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If I want to see a pair of massive tits I just turn off both my monitors.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nadine is bitter as hell

The Nadine Dorries saga was one of the funnier sideshows of the Boris era. She backed him without question at every turn, stepped down as a minister when he was booted as PM, said she'd step down as an MP clearly in expectation of a peerage she'd been promised, got kicked off the peerages list and then was forced to resign as an MP anyway. And Johnson's response to her undying loyalty was basically just a shrug.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Please make a special note in your goons.xlsx files that I have lovely hair.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Maybe there's a shiny Mewtwo nearby that she's going to miss out on.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i dunno if it's really reasonable to expect shops and pubs and stuff to be open 24 hours a day every day. Clubs open all weekend sure, that's what they're for. But it's good for bar staff and retail workers to get some time off.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There are a whole bunch of positions in the UK where you have to swear an oath of personal allegiance to the monarch - MPs, armed forces, the judiciary, police, and notably people naturalising as UK citizens. That was already very silly and objectionable under the last monarch but imagine having to do it now lol.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

crispix posted:

i reckon all this chaos is a result of old majesty queen no longer being around

she was just knocking the poo poo out of them if they stepped out of line, careful like, so as not to bruise any bits that would be photographed, and they all lived in fear of her

I think this was genuinely the case. I dunno what exactly she threatened them all with but whatever it was I guess she didn't bother to pass the trick on to her eldest failson.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Microplastics posted:

I tried to make the Toryest person

Weirdly, "other asian" beats "white british" in Toryness

Best I could do was:

"Other asian" was also 91%.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
And the most Labour I could find ...

Age and location had barely any impact here, retired university-educated Bangladeshi women in social housing in almost any city are as likely to vote Labour at 20 as at 70 it appears.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Happy St. Patrick's day to those who observe it. The Irish pub here has stopped doing Murphy's since last March 17th apparently, they've replaced it with Kilkenny.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Aristos and paups say what, pardon is a definite aspirational lower-middle-class tell.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's like calling the big soft chair in your living room a settee instead of a sofa.

e: oh right I see that's on the list as well.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Crapper, in honour of the man famous for slightly improving it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Paladinus posted:

MX Master 2 is objectively the best mouse out there.

Yeah last time I was in the mouse market I consulted the "should I buy a $100 mouse thread", decided that I should and got some version of the Logitech MX Master. Best mouse I've owned and it has survived several years of daily use and occasionally falling off my desk onto the tile floor with absolutely no issues.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone got any idea what these odd tweet replies relating to apples are all about? And to be clear they are in reply to politics posts not greengrocers!

I've seen this one quite a lot today: "Apples are a type of fruit that grow on trees and are known for their crisp texture and sweet flavor" and now I've just seen a different one
"Some popular types of apples include Granny Smith, Gala, Honeycrisp, and Fuji."
"Apple seeds contain cyanide, but you would need to eat a large amount of them to be harmful."
"The skin of an apple is rich in nutrients and should be eaten along with the flesh for maximum health benefits."

I googled to no avail.

Viral marketing for https://applerankings.com/ ?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

First the beloved cross of St. George and now Nike are going after the cross of hot buns too?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

sebzilla posted:

Sometimes the sunset makes the woke sky say trans rights, clearly we need to nuke it

Say what you like about global nuclear war, it would probably make for some fantastic sunsets.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Marmaduke! posted:

Am I misreading this, or is that guy actually trying to protect whistleblowers? Just seems pretty opposite to what you'd normally expect especially from a Tory MP

Maybe but probably not really? He previously told parliament that there was no evidence of war crimes by the UK special forces in Afghanistan. Then more recently he was called before an enquiry into those alleged crimes and basically said "yeah some mates of mine in the SAS told me they know about crimes that happened" but refused to name them.

He says that he is protecting whistleblowers who did not themselves commit any crimes and spoke to him in confidence, with the implication that they are afraid of retaliation if their names are revealed. It's possible that's true, but it's also possible he is protecting people involved in some pretty brutal atrocities. We don't know, because these possible whistleblowers haven't actually blown the whistle to anyone except him.

We do know that he has previously done everything in his power to prevent soldiers who 100% committed some terrible crimes in Northern Ireland from being prosecuted.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My office chair has a similar RRP but I've picked up two of them second hand for under £100 each now so I'm a little doubtful that anyone actually pays full price. They seem like pretty well designed chairs that give you support and flexibility and encourage movement and all that but I'm pretty sure I still find ways to sit in them that are bad for me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Big fan of the prevalence of slag in the Dutch language. SLAGROOMWAFEL

Je kunt mijn diksap maken met slagroom, kok.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

lol. lmao even

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Beefeater1980 posted:

My best guess at what Starmer would do in office is try to

bring back a beloved and traditional British institution by deregulating the sale of gin and making it duty free, and introduce strict liability for cyclists involved in collisions with cars.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
From the descriptions I read earlier l thought 100 gecs were going to sound like Lightning Bolt or something, but I gave them a listen and they do not.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Still not really sure why it's the RAF's job to shoot down drones and missiles over Israel. Someone get the Taxpayer's Alliance on this maybe?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Bear in mind that the government is not obliged to use the best science in their decision making. The whole economic basis for Osborne's austerity drive was a 2010 paper that was well known to be fatally flawed since at least 2013. Yet for some reason the Tories are still keen on austerity in 2024. :iiam:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I hadn't really had a chance to look at the Cass report stuff when it was being discussed in the thread a couple days back, but now that I have I wanted to express my solidarity with our trans friends here. This poo poo sucks and the people behind it and endorsing it are bizarre freaks.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

You reminded me to check for you new releases: new records from Melvins, My Dying Bride & High On Fire, all in one day. Next weekend has new Black Tusk & Darkthrone. Exciting times.

Also new Bongripper today.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Imagine being a patriot in the country that invented "there's no such thing as society". You'd have to be a right mug.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Or you have the education secretary endorsing a children's book of story and myth for school history lessons.

- Preface to "Our Island Story", H. E. Marshall.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Maybe we should just use proper British dates: dating events to the reigns of the various monarchs that ruled parts of what is now the United Kingdom. Might get a bit lengthy to list them all at some points in history and a little apocryphal at others, but at least it's not woke.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If an event happened before the establishment of any known kingdoms in the British Isles it's probably not really worth concerning ourselves with.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm visiting Scotland and the weather has been lovely almost the whole time so you know climate change is here for real.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

big scary monsters posted:

I'm visiting Scotland

Relatedly apparently Irn Bru has additional bizarre flavours now? Not sure about this tbh

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bozza posted:

use jellyfin - first you need to need understand that what most people are refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
lol

Reveilled posted:

Yeah media servers are super simple with hardly any research, you just need to tune your raspberry pi to turbo encabulation mode and ensure that its modial integrators are aligned to reduce magneto-reluctance and increase capacitive directance. Then you just fire up the hydrocoptic marzlevanes and turn the phase detractors to CM-only mode and it'll just work.
All this reluctance to understand how a simple server stack works is just another example of the shocking tech illiteracy of the youth of today imo. Bunch of Luddites (bad meaning) in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I just prod the YouTube icon on my tablet and let it autoplay from the trending tab.