Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

ymgve posted:

You should still try to cash in on it, just to see what they say

I'm not interested in his games any more, but it would be funny for them to actually honor it. No idea how I'd prove I bought it now. Maybe they'll still have everyone's account info somehow, but I sure don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Saint Freak posted:

When you spend $80k to get Dr Strange to max level but your teammates still won't touch the point.

lol nothing Strange about that

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

Just Zero Wing it

Make your time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I doubt Netease are the ones to do it but it genuinely makes sense to go for "Hey, what if Overwatch but not a constant fuckup"

gundam evolution was on track to be this but

then theyf ucked up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

gundam evolution was on track to be this but

then theyf ucked up

Yeaaaah, I had hopes for Evolution. :smith:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is WoW the only game where you can ride a giant bee or even be small and ride a bee?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DQXI has some rideable Bee/Wasp monsters

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

love to see a developer so in touch with recent Marvel characters and stories using Black Panther's iconic line ---- "For Wakanda"

Does using Wakanda Forever mean they have to fork over 26% royalties instead of 25% to use the Marvel license? I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Should have gone with "Ruthkanda Forever"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just finished FF7 Rebirth and now I don't know what to do with my life

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

After finishing Rebirth I'm probably going to immediately start Infinite Wealth, then it will be Dragon's Dogma 2, that should see me up to Elden Ring DLC

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I guess I should go back and finish Pentiment

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

the controller support is about the only good thing about diablo 4.

let's be fair, the campaign has probably the best writing and characters in the entire series

Unfortunately, buying a Diablo game for the campaign is like buying a box of cereal for the plastic bag inside the box

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

let's be fair, the campaign has probably the best writing and characters in the entire series

Unfortunately, buying a Diablo game for the campaign is like buying a box of cereal for the plastic bag inside the box

I mean it genuinely is hard to be worse.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Diablo 1&2 had genuinely good stories. Unfortunately you can't really get away with telling something that simple ever again.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

fridge corn posted:

I guess I should go back and finish Pentiment

you hosed up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

what dragged the campaign down for me was how much the game paused for character interaction, and just watching NPCs look at each other and talk. I like how Diablo II did it better. But the cinematic cutscenes, especially the CGI ones, were absolute bangers that were cool.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

you hosed up

My guilt weighs heavily upon my eternal soul

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Diablo 1&2 had genuinely good stories. Unfortunately you can't really get away with telling something that simple ever again.

I think that's a great point. If a new game came out with the story of Diablo today, even if I never knew Diablo, it would be considered barebones, an arcade story.

Plus within the context of even just their world and games, they pretty much wrung it for all it's worth while still making good games doing what they need to do without just appending things to try and make a routine of the whole ordeal.

The first Diablo is a roguelike descent through a desecrated church into hell itself to kill the devil. The stories and quests are all tied to hosed up poo poo people in town did or had happen to them, but you also don't need any text to tell you everything you need to know about a guy called the Butcher who roars "fresh meat" and chases you around a dark dungeon full of hooks, chains, and disturbing meats.

The second is the entire arpg genre, pulls a greatest devil trick and omigosh your dude from the first game is the devil now wow it really seems human nature contains potential for both incredible good and unspeakable evil. You leave sad Europe to visit other places tortured by hell and fighting demons is kind of a job and industry more than an errant calling, but still only real weirdoes get hooked into chasing Satan.

The third they hosed up by even trying to just make the same kind of game over again instead of making a new game between 1 and 2, and have nowhere to go with a story besides to repeat itself, because IP never dies.

Modern game design and economics also makes it hard to make a good game like the first 2. D2 was an aRPG because it's the stuff they made for that game to add on to some systems from the original and expand other things. Diablo 3 is an arog because 2 was and provides many different gambling mechanics to monetize.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I think that's a great point. If a new game came out with the story of Diablo today, even if I never knew Diablo, it would be considered barebones, an arcade story.

This is partially true but I don't think it can be understated just how huge the game manual was for enriching and enhancing the story, setting, etc. That kind of thing doesn't really exist anymore but a lot of older games that had kinda barebones writing were actually super fleshed out in the game manuals.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

games still do that nowadays, but you're expected to either read through one hundred item descriptions and pin them on a corkboard with links of yarn or go see youtube loremaster ValeWatcher's two hour dissertation in order to understand the story

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do games still do codexes?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

the grift continues.

This is the floatiest gameplay I've ever seen in my life. Looks like poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vampire Survivors has a better story than Diablo 1 & 2. :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fajita Queen posted:

This is partially true but I don't think it can be understated just how huge the game manual was for enriching and enhancing the story, setting, etc. That kind of thing doesn't really exist anymore but a lot of older games that had kinda barebones writing were actually super fleshed out in the game manuals.

There are zoomers who will never know the feeling of sitting in a car on the way back from the store, reading the manual to learn the game and admiring the cool art and stories printed next to them before you get to play.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They’re doing cooler things instead

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

like getting turned away from the wreckage of the baltimore bridge in a misguided attempt to get social media clout

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They will never know the feeling of waiting in line at the theatre to buy tix for cats and dogs 2: the revenge of kitty galore.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

WarEternal posted:

the grift continues.

This is the floatiest gameplay I've ever seen in my life. Looks like poo poo.

No poo poo, half the characters are wizards who float lol

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

They’re doing cooler things instead

yeah

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Jay Rust posted:

Do games still do codexes?

The Souls games are, arguably, just big interactable codexes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

codices

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You go back to Tony Hawk and all you realize is that your loving trash at it now. Jesus, couldn't even clear Barcelona classic in THUG2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

You go back to Tony Hawk and all you realize is that your loving trash at it now. Jesus, couldn't even clear Barcelona classic in THUG2

MID TWENTIES SKATEBOARDER

I HOPE I DON'T GET HURT

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Khanstant posted:

There are zoomers who will never know the feeling of sitting in a car on the way back from the store, reading the manual to learn the game and admiring the cool art and stories printed next to them before you get to play.

They've already watched three hours worth of TikToks about the game before they play

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not sure I was ever that good, most of the score things I beat by spamming grind rails and little pop tricks on the wall to another grind multiplier. If I did a fancy trick in the air it was from button mashing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess it's impossible for games to have any real mystery to them anymore in terms of discovering some random gem in the game store, every game even if it doesn't have some immense marketing campaign will have influencers making 40 hours of speculation/explainer videos for clout

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess it's impossible for games to have any real mystery to them anymore in terms of discovering some random gem in the game store, every game even if it doesn't have some immense marketing campaign will have influencers making 40 hours of speculation/explainer videos for clout

Sadly it absolutely is. Big games? Sure, they have everything discovered. Smaller stuff? It's an absolute gamble if it has anything and if it does it could be a random wiki page or (god forbid) a loving Discord where you have to dig to see if you can find any useful information.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They've already watched three hours worth of TikToks about the game before they play

That's like getting gaming magazines to read everything you can about whatever game is coming out, except these days they spoil a lot more ahead of time to the point you could just watch a person beat the game a few days before you can buy it. Worse than a demo disc imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can get close by playing games if they leak early, a few Switch games lately have released upwards of 2 weeks early on PC and there are fewer folks doing the hassle to play it early and you can have questions nobody who sees your question has answers to yet. Sometimes searching just gets you speculation of people wondering how it might be over any solutions in play.