Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Still playing RE8. I defeated the fishman. I gotta be honest, I still don't know what his deal was.

They explained the vampire daughters. They were colonies of bugs that ate people and then thought they were people. Cool, I read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, I get it. But that got me expecting more explanations. What's the deal with the 10 foot tall vampire, and the invisible woman, and the fish guy. Defeating the fish guy got me an explanation for the werewolves, they're people with a parasite in them. But it just made the fish guy even weirder. He can also control goo with his mind?

I know Miranda is related to the mold, and the mold can do a lot of stuff. But the vampire daughters weren't mold, and neither are the werewolves. So does that mean the bosses are their own unique thing too? Or are they all somehow going to be mold too?

There better be a really good explanation for all this.

the vampire daughters are mold, which is why they do the same calcifying death animation as all the other mold people in both RE7 and RE8

i know your next question is going to be "then why can they turn into bugs" and the answer is that morimasa sato would rather you not think too hard about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gripweed posted:

but there's a document that says they're bugs. That's why they're hurt by the cold.

you'll recall that marguerite also controlled bugs via mold in RE7, so that's the precedent they're leaning on

for better or worse, part of RE's signature horror style is that everything has some kind of "scientific" explanation, so the illusion-creating doll lady, the bug goth girls, the slime vomit frog man, and elton john magneto are all hanging from the same mouldering branch

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Ok so the vampire daughters are colonies of bugs that ate people and now think they're people, and also are being controlled by mold?

i believe they're mold-infected creatures that gradually gained sentience after eating people. there's some more Mold Lore later on in the game that explains things better, but at a certain point the game's just expecting you to understand that "mold" is the equivalent of, like, a bad guy in a fantasy game jabbing a magic rock in his chest and turning into a monster

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zokari posted:

i guess they had been around long enough that they thought nintendo didn't care, lol

it's a real "walter white leaving the book in the bathroom" level of hubris

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

finally managed to make a good looking 3D run cycle. gamer hell yeah

i'm finding animation a lot less intimidating now that i'm understanding it primarily as an exercise in patience and refinement, much like with a lot of art. just having reference open and applying some intuition to how physics affects a body can get you shockingly far, even without much formal training in the matter

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Owl Inspector posted:

Looking forward to execs trying to understand the popularity of helldivers 2 before concluding something like “gamers love the flexibility of the battlepass”

i think they all realistically understand that the primary ingredient in a smash success is that the game is fun, but "our five year Business Strategy is to make fun games" is not a saleable concept to investors and shareholders who are primarily concerned over the profitability of market trends that they see making money elsewhere

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Would kill for a remake of New Vegas with next gen graphics.

no game deserves a high quality remake with actual good gunplay more than new vegas

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

New Vegas just has such an amazing narrative, side quests, and characters. Nothing like it until Baldur’s Gate 3. Rope Kid is one of the best writers.

a lot of new vegas's writing credit actually goes to john gonzalez, who's most recently worked for guerilla on the horizon games, although chief hanlon and joshua graham are both excellent rope kid writing jobs

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

still hoping and praying for someone to eventually do an open world canticle for leibowitz/wild horse woman RPG

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, they consulted on a few popular titles and the worst people decided that they were a cabal of satanic pedophiles singlehandedly making the games woke.

Just losers trying to make Gamergate happen again, this happens maybe every 6 months or so, it's a nothingburger

sweet baby supposedly did work on susqua, so it's given losers a new veneer of leverage to point to them as the reason the game's writing is less than stellar

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

does king shark get mad if you call him "chum"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Doesn't seem like something a world dominating bad guy would say, or how they would say it.

"outwardly socially conscious billionaire who privately continues to profit off of misery" is a very common villain archetype in the new millenia, possibly because it has a tremendous amount of real life precedent. it's madeleine albright talking a big game about women's liberation on one hand and then proudly supporting policies that sent hundreds of thousands of iraqi women and children to the grave starving on the other

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Or gen:Lock, which unlike other mecha series, is about the characters

i gave the first episode a shot when it was on crunchyroll and ditched after that but it apparently went very, very badly off the rails

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I was never sure what RBRW was besides an anime, and the wikipedia article didn't seem to go into why it was funny to make fun of or panned.

it's an anime series created by the now-deceased monty oum, who you will almost assuredly remember from your teenage years as the guy behind the fighting fantasy videos, and was successful due to a combination of it being an enjoyable enough shonen series and it hitting the web when day-to-day internet use at a broad scale was becoming the norm. i think it's very much an of-its-time anomaly: the animation in the first few seasons is kinda dreadful due to monty only being comfortable with using outdated versions of maya that the rest of the team was forced to use (which i think didn't even have IK), and a female-led shonen series isn't quite the novelty it once was back in 2013

most of the complaints i see about it nowadays are that it has terrible writers who don't have a clue how to use their characters effectively or progress the plot in a coherent way, but that's more par for the course in a series that's gone this long and whose main creative driving force has long since passed on

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i've chosen to restrict my RWBY knowledge to "i like ruby and weiss's base designs a lot" and i'm happy leaving it at that

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Songbearer posted:

Man I actually did not know Monty Oum died

I have only recently(ish) started doing animation but I remember him and Xiao Xiao being incredible for the time

fighting fantasy's obviously a very corny premise in the cold light of 2024, but doing all he did with the tools of the era is some genuine harryhausen poo poo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

god damnit

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pretty easily the most i've cried over a public figure since pratchett's passing. guy was just a loving titan and influenced me growing up in innumerable ways

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

why does this have a diversity consultant

i assume they either didn't have a lot of confidence in their ideas and wanted to tick every box to make sure their game would sell (which is a fair enough concern when it comes to the stark margins indies operate on), or someone got them to buy into the consulting grift

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

edit: nm, misread one of their pages

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

for many years, the forces of sweet baby have been locked in conflict with the sourpatch kids

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm a real sucker for alien abduction horror and schisms stuck with me like no one's business

interestingly, it actually predates fire in the sky's release by half a year, and i wonder if their design team was copying TNG's homework for the final sequence

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

is exoprimal a secret smash success over in japan or something, i've heard bupkiss about that game ever since it released

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

i am dying to play dragon's dogma 2 but i can't yet and after watching vaati's latest video (having literally taken a nap halfway through) i got an urge to play elden ring again

turns out i still really don't like elden ring

i've been doing a fresh playthrough and it's hammered home just how thin the whole broth really is. i think the gigantic map size and fromsoft's genuinely excellent art direction carried an enormous critical burden, but, stripped to the studs, it's a lot of riding in straight lines to nameless catacombs and mines to engage with a one-dimensional combat system that's barely changed since demon's souls and has, in many ways, gotten worse (re: jumping heavy attacks and WAs being superior to doing anything else in the majority of cases). it's boring in a way that's divorced from genre familiarity - i absolutely don't feel bored with wo long or lies of P in the same way - which is only made worse when the open world easily leads to overleveling the content that's on offer

i'm interested in the DLC mainly because their discussions about it make it sound like they recognize a lot of the base game's shortcomings and are trying to be innovative instead of sitting on their haunches, so it'll be a good temperature check on future fromsoft offerings if nothing else

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I haven’t played a soul game yet, but what made me want to eventually try out Elden Ring were screenshots of the game’s locations. Some gorgeous landscapes and architecture.

they're easily some of the best in the business, and that endless creativity in visual design is frustrating when juxtaposed against the TV dinner gameplay they've reheated for the fourth time in a row

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Elden ring has very high highs and very high lows. I love all of it

My brother (gamer) is in town and suggested we try out the seamless co-op mod and i am very excited to do so

seamless is the best way to play it, IMO, even in spite of the various bugs. really hoping the DLC doesn't break it too badly

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dradog online.... i still never got to play it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

smellden ring. you heard it here first folks

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Hot on the heels of Balatro comes

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2861660/ULTIMAHJONG/

Roguelike Mahjong

finally, a new game for me to not understand mahjong in

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

"buffie" made me loving cackle aloud

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i do hope they took a long hard look at their systems for dradog 2, since a lot of the fun of the original gets undercut by the awful flat damage reduction and the fact that you can just chug an infinite amount of healing from the menu

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

waltuh... get out your d(ragon's dogma) waltuh

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Spider-Man: Miles Morales continues the Insomniac Spider-Man tradition of having a suit with really good toon shading that makes me wonder why we don't have a whole game that looks like this

i haven't worked with anything as high end as that, but my assumption is that, much like with lower fidelity models, getting toon shading to look good requires a lot of loving around with custom normal maps and various shader tricks for things like rim lighting that would be impractical to do for an entire game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm basically always skeptical of new theories that claim to junk dark matter entirely, and tired light is, at best, a fringe astrophysical theory that lacks support from observational evidence

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

As I understand it this is observational evidence for a different theory and framework. I was anthropomorphizing, not referring to "tired light theory" and the stuff in the articles has a more specific name that is less easy to remember.

the first article actually does use "tired light" theory, which was an attempt to explain redshift as a consequence of photons losing energy via physical interactions. i dunno if they're attempting to rehabilitate the idea or just using it in a different way than what it's been used as historically, but it'd be a strange conjecture given that it's hovering in the same theoretical twilight zone as stuff like MOND

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

Dark matter and dark energy were made to be junked, they exist as a proxy for the discrepancies between theory and observation and our inability to observe 100% of the universe. As we understand more, the two converge, and the dark categories will get gradually squeezed out as more matter and energy are accounted for

sure, and i try to keep an open mind towards new theories, especially in light of weird observations like the highly redshifted JWST stuff, but the concept of dark matter as a physically existing phenomenon has enough observational evidence behind it that i'm highly skeptical of any approach that throws the baby out with the bathwater

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the big change to spellcasting in dradog 2 seems to be that your spell reticule decreases in size as you charge it up, so there's more of a minigame in attempting to position yourself so that you hit the sweet spot on enemies

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i remember when roger ebert wrote an article wherein he compared the act of gameplay to taking a big ol' poo poo on the toilet to explain why he didn't consider games to meaningfully be art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

he was also the most publicly vocal about the topic which made everyone crazy to have his approval despite him at the time being an old rear end dude whose conception of video games was, like, breakout on atari