Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steam and Balatro were in the closet making Jokers and I saw one of the Jokers and the Joker looked at me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

xedo posted:

Started Rebirth last night, loved it.

With about an hour a day to devote to it I'm concerned I won't be done before unicorn overlord comes out. Just a bit.

You might be done it before Unicorn Overlord 2 comes out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It's like naming your arctic exploration vessel Erebus or Terror. Ridiculous

How about Event Horizon?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

claw game handjob posted:

Gonna be real, this is the one that's driving me mad is people talking about "well they shouldn't have tried to make money on what is basically a regular job's worth of work"

I mean the honest answer there is "Don't turn something like that into a job instead of a hobby." It's a risky and low-reward job that earns you basically nothing but clout. It's nice that people are willing to put effort in but at the end of the day you'd almost certainly do better putting your skills to use in almost anything else.

claw game handjob posted:

Nintendo doesn't give a poo poo if you're getting rich off this kind of thing if they want you dead. How many lawsuit threats have they made to fangames or random third parties who didn't make a dime? Same tactics, different clause cited.

Isn't the answer to this "nowhere as many as you think?" Pretty much every time a C&D comes up from Nintendo it ends up being because someone had moved from "I am doing a goofy thing" to "I am actively attempting to profit off this goofy thing." Like they didn't go after the Super Mario Crossover dude until he started trying to sell stuff. The exceptions I can think of almost always are connected to "they are doing something that directly competes with something we are putting out in a visible way" like how AM2R and Metroid Returns were competing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 4, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They should try making good games

Prince of Persia came out this year, it's just nobody bought it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

That is how their statement read to me, even though there are apparently saved chat logs of the devs bragging about Switch piracy.

Humanity's inability to not post mycrimes.txt remains both our greatest strength and greatest weakness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lol at them referring to themselves as a 'paying customer'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

he aint wrong

I mean in every sense of the word, they are. Patreon is a "We give you money so you can do things" service, not a "you put money in and are assured a product" service. Someone can tell you to gently caress off and post a picture of them burning your money and your only recourse is to stop subbing because they literally owe you nothing legally or morally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

except for the patreon exclusive early access builds he was paying for

Higher patreon tiers are access to things, not promise of things. Subbing to a podcast on Patreon doesn't mean you're going to get extra episodes or your money back. It's why someone like Lowtax could reliably make shittons of money off Patreon despite doing nothing.

In theory if you don't do things they stop subbing to you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am torn between not wanting Discord to die because I don't want all that info lost and wanting Discord to die ASAP so people can stop locking information up in a lovely chat server where any form of usability and effective searching goes to die.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"We're making a Dune game!" "Oh wow. How do you intend to include all the distinctive unique features of the Dune setting?" "We have sand!" "... and?" "SAND!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I was never sure what RBRW was besides an anime, and the wikipedia article didn't seem to go into why it was funny to make fun of or panned.

It had absolutely loving awful animation, just the utter garbage tier trash animation, except that it has choreography from Monty Oum who was extremely good at that. Then Monty Oum tragically died young and the one remotely redeeming feature about it died with him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Not even that he was still making new stuff, I swear I just saw a new game he did art for very recently.

Sandland, yeah. He was still working on Dragonball too, they actually announced a new series recently. Dude was still working his rear end off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

And of course, Dragon Quest XII is still in development. Likely, his work had already been done on that, but a Dragon Quest without Toriyama is gonna be weird.

I honestly don't know what Dragon Quest is without Toriyama's designs. Like genuinely, it's one of those art styles so intimately tied to the project. For all that people joked about sameface and so-on, Toriyama was able to create some immensely distinctive designs and a lot of his copycats never quite hit the same mark.
+

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

why does this have a diversity consultant

Because "diversity consultant" isn't actually what the company does, it has a general outreach for a variety of things and party of their stated goal is outreach to minority game developers, as well as general development in terms of generic 'positive' stuff. (Empathy/Caring/etc.)

Which, looking at the game you linked's page:

"Breeze in the Clouds is crafted by a team of animation-loving, video-game-enamored artists, designers, and developers from around the world who share a passion for making entertainment that makes a positive impact on players everywhere—and maybe even teach them a little something along the way. (In bringing Breeze to life, the team worked with a meteorologist to bring elements of real-world weather into the gameplay). Breeze in the Clouds is one of the first games to receive funding from the Black Game Developer Fund."

It is literally exactly in their wheelhouse and stated goals without needing to be about assuring diversity in the actual game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 8, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

Seems like it's very important for fan projects not to take any money

Yuzu has been reborn as Suyu: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2024/03/heres-how-the-makers-of-the-suyu-switch-emulator-plan-to-avoid-getting-sued/

Yep. That is how it always is. Almost every time a high profile fan project gets shut down it is because they started making money off it or making it about money. The exception is if it's doing something that directly conflicts or competes with the IP holder's projects in some fashion. (Like how the FF Type-0 translation got nailed right after the announced FF Type-0 HD, and apparently S-E actually reached out to them beforehand about it and one of the people on the staff had a huge freakout and released the unfinished patch out of spite.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

We just need to start suing back.

Hey, if you've got the money, time, and army of talented lawyers as well as the ability to manipulate law in your favor via bribes and favors, go for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shard posted:

Sir Ian McKellen narrates the synopsis video of Baldur's Gate 3 before 4 drops

That made me sad when I realized that he'll probably be dead before any such thing could possibly happen. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've posted about it before but it's also worth noting that the Augments you get for just playing the game are some of the best available. There's some good ones in the lost-character augments but a lot of them are kind of eh.

And more to the point nothing in the game expects you to have that. The Augment min-maxing "MUST USE PERFECT" stuff is 100% for replays of the game to build up to the superboss, which if you don't care about doing means there's no reason to even stress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Limit Break is also not really anywhere as useful as it is in other games since breaking 9999 damage limit isn't really significant unless you're using Ultima which genuinely sucks for the fights where you'd need to break 9999 because it requires you to Twincast with Rosa and Cecil which means Rosa isn't buffing/healing/using Holy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't get why devs keep doing this poo poo when 99.9% of gamers won't notice the difference between that and a canned crowd animation.

Literally every time a game doesn't do it the internet is flooded with "LAZY DEVS" and videos that spread showing how lazy and bad a game is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

How long could it take to write a guide on a video game? Like 2 hours right?

Looking at what is linked, it seems less like full walkthroughs and more like "Here is how to retry a fight in FF7."

Which is still insanely poo poo and trash, don't get me wrong, but at least like a "it is somehow possible to imagine someone writing 50 of these in a week" and not "literally impossible"

Those kinds of guides are absolutely loving poo poo and make finding info about games harder so Kotaku dying would be better for everyone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-indu...ng-a-new-thing/

At GDC today, the CEO of Larian stated that the studio is officially finished with BG3, with no plans for DLC or expansion, and is in fact going to move away from the D&D license as they move on to their next projects.

Honestly, good for them. It takes a hell of a lot to be willing to go "We released a great thing and we're happy with it" instead of making it their entire thing. Even Supergiant went to the Hades 2 well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Making it look and play like Overwatch, when no one cares about Overwatch, is a terrible idea. I don't see this game surviving, especially under NetEase.

I think the key there is that people want to care about Overwatch but Blizzard has own-goaled so often and repeatedly that someone is trying to find a way to fill the same market Overwatch did beforehand.

I doubt Netease are the ones to do it but it genuinely makes sense to go for "Hey, what if Overwatch but not a constant fuckup"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

gundam evolution was on track to be this but

then theyf ucked up

Yeaaaah, I had hopes for Evolution. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

let's be fair, the campaign has probably the best writing and characters in the entire series

Unfortunately, buying a Diablo game for the campaign is like buying a box of cereal for the plastic bag inside the box

I mean it genuinely is hard to be worse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vampire Survivors has a better story than Diablo 1 & 2. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess it's impossible for games to have any real mystery to them anymore in terms of discovering some random gem in the game store, every game even if it doesn't have some immense marketing campaign will have influencers making 40 hours of speculation/explainer videos for clout

Sadly it absolutely is. Big games? Sure, they have everything discovered. Smaller stuff? It's an absolute gamble if it has anything and if it does it could be a random wiki page or (god forbid) a loving Discord where you have to dig to see if you can find any useful information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BG&E2 never exists, never will exist, and never should exist. People who speak of it or claim to have seen 'trailers' are just trying to get attention.