Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Oh hey, I was thinking of making a thread for this closer to release, good to see someone beat me to it.

The game... well, the demo struck me as a game produced by some developers with lots of great ideas but maybe not the budget for lots of graphics and polish. Not quite to "budget indie game" level, but if you want a AAA civ-like I gather you might be better off waiting for Ara: History Untold. That said, the more I played the demo (and I found myself playing those 60 turns over and over), the more I fell in love with the gameplay mechanics. Not even just the ages, though those look like a lot of fun, but setting up the production chains and what not in cities, or breaking slightly away from the "everything is cities" model with things like outposts and utility boats/hunter units being able to gain resources on the map, which IIRC was something SMAC did and then the entire genre seemed to permanently forget about.

And it had the single best feature ever for a Civ-like game: You can control click on something (like an improvement or ability) that you can't use yet to set a reminder, and the game will pop up a reminder when you can actually build or do that thing. I love this little mechanic so much.

This game is going to be a day 1 buy for me no question at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Lots of sponsored streams popping up, it's encouraging that Paradox seems to be pushing this game so hard (and I do think it's a quality 4x) but I'm not sure I want to watch hours of a game I can't actually play.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I actually recall disliking the demo the first time I played it, but I stuck with it and ended up playing through those first 60 turns a lot and loving the game more each time. I feel like Millennia is probably a game that takes some time to click and maybe that's why the sponsored youtube players seem to be loving it but the reviewers that published obligatory reviews that somehow don't seem to have any screenshots you wouldn't see in the first few hours of play didn't.

And to be fair, the stuff even I admit is a weakness, like the basic looking graphics and lacking documentation, is stuff that leaps out at you, whereas the more complex gameplay systems that made me love the demo aren't as apparent.

Edit: That IGN one does seem to be more in depth, and I've seen even the youtubers comment that regions are often tile limited more than population limited, though that doesn't strike me as a flaw, really, just something to factor into planning. In particular I expect it's going to be a big motivation to not settle your regions too close together.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 25, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Civilization's 'a couple units and a building' approach rarely made any meaningful difference. Calling it 'asymmetry' is just ridiculous

Honestly, I consider Millennia's "build a culture as you go" approach to be a distinct strength over picking a civ with static bonuses. One of my favorite things to do in the demo was look over the start it gave me and figure out the best way to shape my nation to make use of it, as opposed to Civ's "pick a civ with a coastal bonus and you probably spawn on the coast."

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Are there any Civ like 4x's out there worth playing? As i said, Humankind was a huge disappointment.

Well, I'm a big fan of this one. Comes out tomorrow, too!

AoW4 was more of a battle focused 4x, with more emphasis on your units and the tactics you use in battle than planning out your cities, but was a lot of fun IMHO. Humankind and Old World were the big ones recently but I didn't play either. And I think some goons liked Solium Infernum?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

This game is getting roasted on steam reviews - is it that bad?

It's been out for like three hours. How do people even know if it's good or bad in that time?

I went and looked at one of the reviews and one dunked it for not having multiplayer. It has multiplayer, but the "simultaneous multiplayer" is marked as coming soon, so I guess they assumed multiplayer doesn't work. Though apparently some people are having trouble with IP forwarding and stuff, so it's entirely possible the actual multiplayer doesn't work well (I haven't tried).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Looks like it got review bombed like minutes after release because people entered the game, saw that online MP was 'Coming Soon' and immediately filed negative reviews. Enough of them that it went Mostly Negative.

It's up to Mixed now.

My impressions are favorable thus far. They've struck a good balance between rewarding complexity and speed of gameplay. It's amazing how much time you waste in Civ 6 trying to optimize your adjacency bonuses. In Millenia the only adjacency bonuses are from towns which make it relatively easy to manage.

I managed to push an Age of Heroes in my first game and its actually great. All the scouts i rushed for immediately converted into strong combat leaders with big tactics bonuses and you rush around the map questing for victory

Worse, it's only one specific kind of multiplayer that's coming soon.

I seem to be stuck in a loop of "I could have done this better" making me restart and trying again. Which is probably a good sign.

Edit: Be careful about rushing to found a religion. It quickly (well, ~10ish turns) starts spreading through your cities and making them demand faith, and the options to produce faith are either a wood -> paper -> religious texts production chain or a set of fairly expensive buildings locked behind a tech in the same age you unlock religions. Failing to provide faith to cities with religion will very quickly lock you into age of intolerance. Religion gets you a bunch of culture though.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 27, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I think a part of the problem is that the UI and graphics are better than you'd expect from an indie game, but below what you'd expect from a major studio. Sort of a middle ground where it's getting judged based on the higher set of standards and not getting the pass it might get if it were a more basic game. From the complaints you'd expect an impenetrable UI and MS paint graphics but no, they're actually decent-ish, just not good. Maybe Civ 4.5ish.

Also the AI in this game is either surprisingly good for a 4x title or else at least cheating in ways it's hard for me to see. In a previous game I actually got ahead in the early ages but then started to fall behind, almost unheard of for a Civ-like, and in my last game I was doing pretty good trying a sea based nation and then got wardec'd by both of my neighbors and they repeatedly manage to outmaneuver my armies. Of course, I'm still new to this game so that doesn't mean the AI will be able to stand up to a veteran player, but it's at least not helpless or passive.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

A game that looks like a mildly updated CIV 4 should not perform this badly.

I'd love to critique the gameplay but it's stuttering all over the place and giving me a migraine. The fact that changing the fog setting at runtime gives a few seconds of reprieve points to some serious technical problems.

For some reason it completely saturates an RX 6700, a GPU that runs Doom 2016 buttery smooth…

Interesting. The only performance issue I've had so far was when I played for several hours, then left the game running while I had dinner, then came back and played several hours more. After being left running for so long it did get a bit choppy, but restarting fixed it.

On the other hand my chronic restart-itis means I haven't really gotten to the lategame yet.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Mokotow posted:

As Zhengzhou grew, I had to clear the only free hex that had a mill on it and make space for communal housing so the city could grow further. The forests that were a boon are now problematic, as I can't (yet) remove them.

One thing I've been noticing is available space can be an important consideration for city placement. It's not always an issue, and you can put a mill or a house on grasslands or tundra or whatever and it all works the same, so it's a good use for terrain you don't want, but you can't put it on water or forest hexes. Normally that isn't too bad - both those hexes can be useful for other stuff, and you don't need a ton of buildings - but if you settle a city (sorry, "region") on a coast with forest inland you'll be badly lacking in actual building sites. You do eventually get the ability to clear-cut forests but it's apparently pretty late game.

On the other hand, I've been having a lot of success placing cities near large forests for lumber towns - a level 2 lumber town gets +2 production for every adjacent forester, which can be up to +12 and production is always super important. You can theoretically do the same with a mining town but good luck finding a hex with 6 adjacent hills.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

On the other hand, fighting barbarians can be very profitable. You get 1 warfare XP every time a unit engages in combat, and killing a barb camp gives similar rewards to a tribal village pickup. Between that and the independent cities, this game really wants your units to be out there earning their upkeep.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, it seems like just beyond the FOW there are just raging hordes of barbarians just everywhere. You put your settler with some military units but then by the time you reach the point your trying to get, the army has fought so many battles its just the settler left and it gets smoked by another barbarian.

Also how do you keep cities happy? I was paying attention to their needs but one of my cities just constantly had revolts going on and eventually just up and left. But i couldn't figure out why they were so unhappy. Was it because my culture had gone into the negative?

Unrest is almost entirely about garrisoning a city with units. I mean, there's some buildings that do some, but mostly you sit units in the city hex to do it. City Guards get a bonus to unrest suppression and are also stronger when defending cities.

There's a circle that fills up on the city bar, if you mouse over it it will tell you both what's causing unrest and what's preventing it:

Bremen fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 29, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Started my nth game due to restart-itis and got a great coastal start, so I've been playing around with ancient seafarers and utility boats. The real defining feature seems to be the -70% utility ship spawn cost, though it's worth noting that even with that the ramping up cost means you don't get anything like unlimited utility ships. They're also not free - I was surprised to notice I was negative in wealth before catching on each utility ship had a 2 wealth upkeep. And of course if you're using them you probably want at least a small navy to protect them from barb and/or enemy ships.

For those that haven't used them, utility ships are just boats that can sit on fish resources and send them back to your cities, without requiring population or requiring to be inside claimed territory. So obviously very nice in any situation where you have a source of fish resources. Even without ancient seafarers, you get one free when you build your first dock and the second one is 20 exploration xp (and an age 2 tech) so it's probably good to have at least one city fed by utility ships even if you don't go ancient seafarers. The -70% xp cost from seafarers pretty much just means instead of one city with a bunch of population-free fish, you want to aim for three or so, but doesn't mean you're committed to having every city be sea based. At some point it just gets more efficient to either farm the old fashioned way or use outposts on food resources. I've got 13 so far (65 free food!) and the ramping cost means the next one is 40 exploration xp, which means it'd be like 130 xp without the seafarers bonus.

So it's been an informative experience so far and honestly I'm kind of kicking myself for ignoring utility ships in all those previous games where I didn't go seafarers.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Is the Olympian spirit any good? Seems very dependent on getting lots of Envoys and having other nations close by; thing is, I like to play larger maps, and in this early game barbs are freakin' everywhere. That lategame 300 Wealth and 30 Knowledge though, drat!

It lets you convert your culture power into a lot of domain xp (and knowledge/wealth with the perks). I'd say it's probably best for going tall since you're likely to have more culture available but not a ton of domain xp. I haven't played much with it, though.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 29, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Either I nursemaid Envoys across a Huge map (which I admit is my fault), or I never really unlock Olympians' potential. Anyone have a suggestion for a better first Age 2 Spirit?

Here's my thoughts on the Age 2 ones:

Ancient Seafarers: Improved coastal improvements (fishing boats and harbors), and cheaper utility boats means you can have a dozen or more of them instead of just a few without this spirit. Obviously, you take it if you have a lot of coastline and a lot of fish resources visible.
Naturalists: The nominal bonus is better unimproved tile yields, which I dislike; you shouldn't be working unimproved tiles if you can help it, and that will fall off steeply in the mid to late game as tech improves. It does give extra housing and food from housing improvements so it's not like there's no bonus lategame, but this feels like a spirit that falls off fast.
Wild Hunters: Lets you produce improved archers that can harvest wild animal tiles for you, and greatly improves the yield from animal resources (+food and +improvement points). Downside is the bow hunters cost production and I never have enough production early game, so they're harder to spam than utility ships. And of course they use land instead of water, which can be tight later game as cities need room. Good if you have lots of scrubland and deer/sheep/cows/etc resources.
Raiders: Currently considered the OP spirit, at least for early war. +warfare xp on fights and letting you spawn massive amounts of units with warfare xp is a broken combo, and the +xp will be useful through the game so it doesn't even fall off completely. If you're planning on invading someone, you take this one.
Warriors: A more defensive war option. I guess if you think you're going to get attacked it would be a good choice, and some of the defense bonuses are lasting I guess, but this one just feels kind of like you'd only take it if you're desperate to survive an attack.
God-King: Bonuses to stone based production chains, gives a free stone (+2 production) in every city, and the pyramid improvement which is kind of nice. Good if you have a fair number of hills and stone type resources in your starting area.
Mound Builders: Gain the burial mound improvement on grasslands which can produce a lot of culture and also some sanitation, but you probably won't need sanitation when you first get the spirit. The big bonus is permanently halving all food requirements, though, which will make food almost a non-issue (but doesn't help with the other needs). Good if you have lots of grassland, particularly any large patches so you can have a bunch of burial mounds around a town and use the custom town specialization.
Olympians: See discussion above. Also gives a permanent +10% defense to line units which is a minor but nice game-long bonus. Good if you're going tall and want to try to be more diplomatic.

If you're feeling up to doing a lot of planning, it helps to consider what kind of XP you'll have excess as well. Pastures produce exploration xp, for instance, and if you don't have any coasts (so no utility boats) you'll likely end up without a lot to spend it on, so might want an exploration spirit. Similarly if I'm running a clay and brick economy I expect to have more engineering xp, so might consider one of those.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 30, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

pedro0930 posted:

I am trying to figure out how Naturalists can even be useful. Maybe for a building wide strategy (how? you'll bottleneck government exp for a long time) where you build a massive amount of regions and you cannot keep up with improvement point production. Only thing that looks good is cultural pt from working forest, but that's negated if you build wide. Exploration exp is also somewhat limited early on.

The expand fast into forests bonus could be useful, but yeah, overall it seems kind of lacking. Honestly I feel like maybe naturalists should be the one getting the half food needs bonus.

However, I disagree about exploration xp. It's one of the most common in the first few ages, and if you don't take an exploration spirit the uses of it are kind of limited; claim territory's cost goes up fast and spawn utility ship is only a thing if you have a coastal city and take shipbuilding.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I finally got over my constant restarts and am up to turn 191, the age of enlightenment. I could have gone for age of harmony but I want to try mostly vanilla ages first. And honestly the more I play this game the more I love it as I learn all the intricacies of the mechanics.

Unfortunately I am running into performance issues. The game isn't unplayable but it's chugging, both on turn generation and just me panning the camera around, medium map. Admittedly my PC is no spring chicken but it seems a bit odd considering the relatively basic graphics. I might try it on my Steam Deck just to see if it's a hardware issue.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

They seem to pop up instantly after I destroy one. At the end of the stone age, I had 8 armies, and as soon as I hit the bronze age, 6 barbarian cheifs appeared at my capital. I had 2 armies left after that. They were not there before the age change, it just spawned them out of the blue.

A few turns after the age of bronze starts barbarian warlords seem to spawn at each city. I'm not sure why but I've seen it happen enough I'm pretty sure it's scripted.

From what I've seen if you haven't taken the defenses tech, they can one turn a town, but your capital or a town + defenses tech can usually hold them off.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Yeah, it should be in your improvement list in the corner, or click on a grassland hex where you want one and it should be available in the tile information box. Goes without saying that you need to have taken the upgrade from the mound builders national spirit, of course.

Also, for those that have had trouble with the barbarians in the age of bronze, be careful in the age of revolutions. The age popup just said revolutionaries would spawn with high unrest, so I thought it would be fine since all my cities were at 0, but at some point an absolutely enormous number spawned all over my territory. They weren't particularly strong and mostly suicided on my towns and cities, but I did lose two outposts and a freshly laid down island city I'd just placed.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I'm looking into this as a Civ fan who felt pretty cold on 6, and the idea of the variant ages sounds neat.

As someone who likes to play peacefully on the lowest difficulty setting and just build and research and make a pretty looking empire with cool stuff, is this game conducive to that, or does it demand a much more active and involved approach?

If you want to just focus on having fun organizing and optimizing an efficient nation, it seems like it'd be great for it. There's a lot more to play with economy wise than most civ games because of things like the production chains, national spirits, and import/export slots.

If you're asking if it's possible to play mostly peacefully I can't say. I've only played on the normal difficulty and up, so I don't know how things like barbarians scale, and some of the ages are explicitly about dealing with threats. I can say that the AI seems to be afraid of you if you're much stronger than it so if you're on easy I doubt you'd have to worry much about your neighbors going to war with you, though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Mokotow posted:

How do I get vassals to go over 5 pop? Some tech?

I've never had trouble getting them over 5 pop, so I can't say. If it's a region level thing you could try putting a town down for them though. My current game I actually have a vassal that got ridiculously huge, up to 26 pop. I should probably integrate it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

What are the formation rules, anyway? I assume keep as many melee/line units as you have ranged units in order to keep the backline protected? Cavalry always gets to flank?

Line units have high defense and are targeted first. This isn't numbers dependent, so if you have 4 ranged units and 1 line that line is going to take (almost) all of the attacks. The standard series of line units have a bonus against cavalry, but there are other types I've seen that have a bonus against other line units.

Leaders give a bonus to all other units in the stack, but are fragile without line units defending them. I don't know if they have any special targeting/bonuses other than the stack buffing.

Ranged units ignore target priority (can hit non line or wall units first). Most (all?) have a bonus against line units, which is sort of an anti-synergy, but does mean 50/50 line/ranged will absolutely demolish a full stack of line units.

Cavalry units always target the most damaged valid target but don't ignore target priority, so can't hit a ranged unit if there's an enemy line unit, even if the ranged unit is more damaged. They do bonus morale damage.

There's probably more to it than that but that's what I've seen so far.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 31, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Having a leader is a stack (or a hero, who counts as one) is a quite nice bonus, especially as your army sizes get larger and the tactics bonuses get higher. As noted, once a unit is tranformed into a leader it can't upgrade anymore, so if you upgrade a warband or a scout into a leader 1 they're never turning into a leader 2. The intent is instead that you retire them - a special action leaders get that removes them but gives you warfare xp based on their level (and it can be quite a lot of xp). It's worth noting that levels are very important for that, though - when you upgrade a unit to a leader it loses 1 level, so if you upgrade a level 1 unit and then don't level the leader in combat it can't retire.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Eschatos posted:

What's the deal with domestic trade? I see it mentioned in the market tooltip as an alternative to foreign trade, but I have no idea what actually grants the capacity.

There's a building, or rather a building line, that gives domestic trade slots. Also one of the age 6 governments has an ability to add an extra slot. If you have it the option appears right under the foreign trade slots.

It's basically just moving goods from one city to another, no cost but the origin city loses the benefit of the good. It can be handy for either shuffling solo raw materials around (IE a city has one lumber, or wheat, or whatever, and the processing building uses two) or moving things to deal with needs (if one city has excess food and another needs more food, for example, you can send bread).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Eschatos posted:

Ok but what buildings? Skimming through all the techs in ages 3 and 4 and not seeing anything.

The first one is called Stores, and the line is called warehouses. Stores comes free with the Age of Iron, at least, not sure about variant ages.

Edit: It looks like if you have a variant age you might not get it, but Warehouses (the next building in the line) is in Finance for Age of Renaissance or Support for Age of Conquest, and the alternative Trade Company is available from Open Sailing in the Age of Discovery. Interesting, and I guess that's how I missed it in my previous game since an AI took us into Age of Heroes.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 31, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Eschatos posted:

Almost got myself stuck starting age of intolerance. It seems like that might be impossible to avoid if you start a religion while having a large population unless you have a colossal stockpile of build points. Luckily I learned that if the next age tech is already queued up already hitting the limit will not force switching ages.

A trick to managing faith needs is the abbey, unlocked by... I forget the name, but the religious tech. If you upgrade an outpost into a castle it can build abbeys on empty tiles, and the abbeys produce religious texts that give faith that get sent on to the city the castle is linked to. Other than that and the buildings unlocked by the religious tech (2 buildings that give 4 faith each, but are expensive) your only option seems to be religious scribes that convert paper into faith, but that means using lumber for paper instead of production.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Would you say that once you hit a pop threshold that requires a new need you can't fulfill (which is very easy to do TBH), that's when you're probably way better off shifting pops off the growth mechanisms and into something else?

I generally don't shift people off growth mechanisms at all, since once they're built I figure they're worth using for more population growth later. But in the future I'll probably worry less about adding new workers to a need just because it's at 180% satisfaction instead of 200% and let it get a bit lower first.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Sybot posted:

I'm not sure on the way research and Ages work just yet. It feels very easy to accidentally skip over something essential while rushing to the next age. Is there any reason to try and beat the AI to the next Age if you aren't aiming for a specific one?

You can go back and research techs from previous ages, and in fact you're incentivized to do so (there's a 10% research cost reduction for techs from previous ages). Usually I grab the 3/4 techs I feel are most relevant for me right now, then grab the age, then go back and grab any other techs that look useful.

The first player to research the next age gets 10 innovation on top of getting to choose the age, so there's a bonus but not a huge one.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

LordSloth posted:

Is there something I’m missing or do I need to unlock the entire infopedia from scratch in each game? I would really love to be able to look at the spirits of the next age or so, or figure out what art could do for me in the grand scheme of things.

I think the game does that because due to the ages mechanic what you get could be very different each game.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I wonder if atomic will be a variant or just another age. I don’t really want more ages played through in a game but more variants would be fun.

A pretty popular bit of speculation on the discord is we'll get one normal age for atomic power, and one variant/crisis age representing the world post global nuclear war.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea this was a big one, and the general hyper aggressiveness of the AI in all things. And the side effects of that being the AI is extremely bad at running its empires outside of military and expansion. Hence the constant age of plagues and revolts. I had a AI civ have a revolt at a boarder city and the rebels attacked me.

At least the revolts are being delt with. Because of the age of plagues, I have never seen the later ages because there goes 200 turns of the game. I cannot get over how stupid the age of plagues is. And the only way to prevent it is to go for age of kings. Everyone keeps talking about taking Age of Heroes but I never find any landmarks before the AI does.

In six games I've never actually seen Age of Plagues, but had the AI lead me into Age of Heroes once. Come to think of it I wonder if that's a result of playing on Master, maybe the bonuses the AI is getting is making it easier to achieve age requirements.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Zurai posted:

Clothing is made at the Clothing Factory, which... appears to be only available from a tech in the Age of Rocketry. If you had a variant age there (IIRC Utopia replaces Rocketry) then you're SOL. Which is very dumb and needs to be changed.

Incidentally and tangentially related, a number of things in the game refer to a "Research" good. There is no such thing. What it really means is Analytics.

My guess is they changed that late in the game because it was confusing with research as a resource, but didn't catch all the places that used the term.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Weird, my cities still had a need for religion after i became a democracy.

And looking at it like that, it makes sense. Though it is annoy an improvement is the only building outside of the museum that gives you education. In general it kind of annoys me how many improvements are needed to meet some needs. At least in my current game I got enough space to put down the needed improvements up to a point. I really wish hills could have improvements outside of the mine or quarry. Should be able to put down schools, housing and power plants on them.

I think hills can have windmills. I may be misremembering though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

There's a new devblog out about upcoming changes and also an opt-in beta patch with some stuff I know people have been wanting, like destroying captured cities or skipping the combat viewer.