Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

purchased no-aids here at sa, but all i see are blank pages and 404s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Runa posted:

Prehistory: the period of time before recorded history. Recordings include calendar dates.

The poor man doesn't even know words have meanings in English, he never stood a chance against hieroglyphs.

If having to convert dates ruins anything then the answer to this guys question is simple: when the Gregorian calendar was adopted since this shifted dates by 11 days and therefore there is a conversion neccessary so the answer is 1582 globally with more specific answers possible for each country for America and the UK it would 1752 except for Alaska where the oldest date that doesn’t need a conversion is October 18th 1867

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
there's only one kind of calendar, the one that's on my pc/phone, and get this... you can't ACTUALLY convince me it's correct

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The calendar discussion from the people responding to that weird guy was actually really well-researched and interesting so I picked a random page to learn some more ancient history stuff and lol at this exchange:

Parmenides posted:

Elephants are another example of Sparta's general superiority. They were able defeat elephants on the field, but also lead them to victory. In terms of defeating elephants, Spartan reserves beat Pyrrhus and his pretender king; presumably the Epirote brought his elephants with him. In terms of leading elephants to victory, a small force of Spartans arrived in Carthage and saved the city; elephants formed an important part of the Spartan strategy.

Of course, it is more complex than that. Pyrrhus never saw a campaign he couldn't lose, so perhaps Sparta was never in any real danger. On the other hand, in saving Carthage they defeated Rome in a major battle, which really does show that the old world, even in a late and degenerate state, was still superior to the new.

Kaal posted:

My friend posted this yesterday and it seems too perfectly timed for me to not share it.

Parmenides posted:

That meme is embarrassingly bad. I don't even know where to begin, but I feel compelled to at least speak up and advise you against posting it again. For your own sake and continued good reputation. Find better friends; there are some good works from Classical Antiquity about friendship, btw, maybe read them and go from there.

Parmenides was later banned for posting a lengthy post about how if he was a Helot (A type of enslaved person in Sparta) he would love Sparta and focus upon spending time with his family learning a trade and all the other Helots would love him.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 13:00 on Apr 28, 2024

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
drat if i just wasn't working this dead rear end job and was instead a slave in sparta my life would be looking pretty good right now

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
lmao leaping to the defense of loving Sparta of all civilisations

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the yeti posted:

Parmenides nuts

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Parmenides posted:

Anyway, I cut out the rest of the nonsense you wrote, and I won't bother quoting the other posts where americans were wringing their hands and crying about slavery or whatever. I regard helotry as a type of serfdom. I think serfdom is a practical and helpful institution that should be implemented to varying degrees in most countries today. Some countries like China do so, to their overall benefit.

As for the private ownership and breeding of slaves, I don't think it is a suitable or positive institution today, at least not in any country with which I am familiar. I can envision certain scenarios where it makes sense, but it's pointless to discuss them. To seriously discuss ethics, we need to discuss morality, because ethics is applied morality. To discuss which political models and practices are appropriate, we also need to consider the overall context of the society, the quality and expectations of its members, etc. The real discussion will grow from there, and it won't involve shedding tears about the fact that we can have a nuanced view on slavery.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

i don't think slavery is suitable or positive in modern society, but

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Parmenides up on a soapbox trying to justify breeding slavery using every essay word count inflation trick in his book while Pragmatica calmly lines up her shot

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

a nuanced view on slavery eh

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I’ve been doing some thinking some reading and a LOT of listening. I’ve been doing the work. I brought harm to others and I apologize. I am not the man I once was.

my official statement after posting a meme referring to the Roman slave revolt leader as “Farticus”

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what's important is if he is arguing in good faith imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
reading this and trying to make sense of it like im studying a historical document

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

reading this and trying to make sense of it like im studying a historical document

Violating forums rule D&D rule II.2.B is pretty serious accusation. I hope koos group has a good posting lawyer

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

koos is under the protection of the admins... damning....

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Concerning

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Get out now! Go outside!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The urge to be correct is powerful and mighty

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is this the largest red text ever? I don't think its the longest, but the text is quite large.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

speaking of slaves! :xd:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't think koos keeps slaves. he keeps prisoners

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

Lol that it was only two years ago.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Lmfao, where the hell are people talking about breeding slaves. This forum is epic.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

speaking of slaves! :xd:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Actually Twinks were historically a separate class not comparable to modern chattel slavery.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Slavery is an important part of LGBTQA+ culture and everyone should sit down and listen to queer posters before speaking up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can't just play the LGBTQA+ card just because you're Greek!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol the sad ad, has there even been a thread in sad in weeks?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Prisoners with jobs!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Franklin Expedition. Actually they were known to be dead in the 1850s but they found the actual ships in 2016 or thereabouts.

The racist bit was accusing a bunch of polar subsistence hunters of not saving the lost expedition, or that they were lying about :britain: True Englishe Gentlemen :britain: turning to cannibalism to survive.

there's a really great show about this, highly recommend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjq7Gl_hhPY

don't bother with season 2 though it's about Japanese ghosts or something totally unrelated

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think we are going to get an epic sad thread once the US presidential campay gets truly underway

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Babe Magnet posted:

lol the sad ad, has there even been a thread in sad in weeks?

no-one knows what it's like
to be the sad ad

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the terror season 2 was very okay, which was disappointing since the terror season 1 loving rocked

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

the terror season 2 was very okay, which was disappointing since the terror season 1 loving rocked

I couldn't even finish it. It was like a Diablo 2 -> D3 level of disappointment

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

it took them till 2016 to figure out that the Terror was at the bottom of Terror Bay lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that would have been the first place I checked tbh

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Why the gently caress would you call a boat Terror. That's just asking for trouble.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Why the gently caress would you call a boat Terror. That's just asking for trouble.

frankly, erebus isn't much better. "brb sailing off into the terrifying wintery maw of the unknown on the hms personification of the darkness in the underworld!"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

there's a really great show about this, highly recommend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjq7Gl_hhPY

Jared Harris ftw

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Alien would've lost something had it taken place on the space tug Tokophobia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

it took them till 2016 to figure out that the Terror was at the bottom of Terror Bay lol

man what the hell were these guys doing, the wrecks were literally right where everyone said they would be lol

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Jared Harris ftw

he's the best character on the show too, hands-down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMtwWMC7-QU

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Apr 28, 2024