Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The forums = Godly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

euroshopper posted:

looked it up and apparently it's one of those threads where a bunch of permabanned goons come together and gossip over the libtards. i guess they knew about the dark id's weird lies for about a year

THATS SO loving EPIC LFMAO

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

IndestructibleCat posted:

Funny you should mention, "Hikkiari" once claimed to be one of the localizers for the original Nier and when a bunch of us looked in the credits to disprove this easy lie. He got really pissy. He even brought it up once again like 3-4 years later after we all cut him off (feel free to look it up on his discord, it's probably still there)

yall just hate a succssful woman. and it shows

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butt Ghost posted:

wait wtf is this about strangling cats?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiI3qE8SEGY

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Junpei posted:

He was juuuuust charismatic enough

the bar that low?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Empty Sandwich posted:

oh yeah? what about uhhhhhhhhhhh

One.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

still true to this day. concern trolls ruined this place

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

concern troll is such a legendary term. instantly morphed from pretending to agree w people but trying to subtley gently caress with them to "made fun of me for doing something weird/insane" lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

a lot of people responded to posts about people getting annoyed by yellow paint with "oh, so what, you hate disabled people then???"

i do yes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

rubbing my hands together on seeing thr yellow paint in re4 remake. time to concern troll.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they should just make it a toggle like the original inventor of the mechanic mirrors edge. simple.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Junpei posted:

A smart guy I know has this to say:

that is exactly what i want however

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i think my favorute one of these arguments i see is if u talk about smt especially older smt games or other dungeon crawlers, theres a subset of ppl who play them and also believe things like teleporter mazes or other mechaincs which involve trial and error and mapping out a complex dungeon are a game design sin and dont understand why theyre put in the games. very funny lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A guy I was friends with in HS complained about FF9 having button prompts when there was hidden treasure instead of having to spam the use button like 7/8

hes right. knowing exactly where all the rare candies are hidden in pokemon red and blue ftw.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this actually is hella stupid the more i think about it lol, the last part about challenging vs time consuming. often it overlaps a lot. a lot of challenging things by their nature take time to learn, or the challenge can be the difficulty of doing something well for a sustained period of time. some people just want shortcuts or prefer much sharper forms of difficulty which is completely acceptable and fine but talking about it like this like ppl who enjoy things that take a long time to learn and overcome are actually just liars and stupid and no one could genuinely want the thing i dont want is really annoying. thanks

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lmfao yes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Endorph posted:

cant you just include a button to press that points an arrow where you need to go

people can press it or not press it
problem solved

fwankly i think a combo of not underestimating the player + more care over level/world desing bcos you arent thinking about falling back on metagame cues to direct people is a better option. but failing that the little line that moves in the direction you have to go and is obstacle aware is the clearest directional indicator

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pentyne posted:

fondly remember the goon hating on Elden Ring because it doesn't tell you where to go when there is a glowing golden trail leading you to the major destination

all the er stuff was cool bcos in reality its just doing what games used to do to direct the player and it made people lose their minds lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

i dont want to go into a big tangent on this, but i think it just comes down to the type of game your designing.

while i personally don't much care for breath of the wild, the freedom to climb any surface ever allows for the player to get to places however they please. no real need of signposting the only one path.

but then if you had an open world game and ask a person to climb a mountain but they cant free climb and there's only one narrow spot where a button prompt appears to climb, that loving sucks if theres no signposting - hence why devs fall back to the yellow paint

im all for challenge in navigation and puzzles and all that poo poo but finding the single spot where a "climb mountain" button prompt shows up isnt some challenge for the player to solve it is just a waste of time

no one is saying no signposting its just that there are ways to do that without a literal signpost. but also i was more responding the last part of the post.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

but also even that can be fun in the right game. poking around levels in deus ex to find vents or other backdoors to locations is fun, and that game liked to do anti-signposting and hide them behind crates and stuff lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

*nods* deus ex human revolution

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol when hes standing in front of the gigantic glowing orange background that specifically spans the area and hes saying "theres no indication visually"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the thing is i get that some people, because of taste, will see a game that's like "go wherever you want" and get kind of overwhelmed in an unenjoyable way but i don't know how you get from there to "the Japanese hate disabled people"

it cant be that a game just isnt for me. it must be some sort of moral failing that they wont make the game for me and i will use other popele as an excuse for this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

open world games rule when theres a clear reason for it being open world and its used properly like in botw/totk, death stranding, kenshi etc

open world games are the worst thing imaginable when its a linear 12 hour game with completely obviously generated landscape designed to put tedious distance between everything just to eat up time and fill with copy pasted mini objectives, and unfortunately most open world games are this one lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

kenshi is great fun

gah!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I bought Kenshi back in the day when it had 0 sfx or music and was completely silent. and it was like this for years of dev. FTW.

literally just spending all his time making the unbelievably gigantic map lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

teh most confusing aaa thing is why western games nearly universally have dogshit voice acting but jpn devs that dub in house or only eng like from soft have absolutely incredible voice acting

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stux posted:

teh most confusing aaa thing is why western games nearly universally have dogshit voice acting but jpn devs that dub in house or only eng like from soft have absolutely incredible voice acting

the best example possible is the sekiro eng dub which only exists because activision was publishing and they decided to add a dub and its loving awful vs the stuff in the souls games or er

Feels Villeneuve posted:

idk if thats a mystery i think the JP pop media side has a massive voice acting industry and we have like the same 15 people do every game

right but from games other than sekiro are all english voice acting, why can they find eng vas that give good performances.

or death stranding. die hardmans va does like side quest guys and random street chatter for gotham knights and the saints row reboot where every single character is absolutely intolerable to listen to. but he gets a main part in a kojima game and hes suddenly the best voice actor ever. doesnt make no sense!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It probably comes down to actually having good voice direction and working with people who actually care. I’ve seen some of his tweets before and he’s really proud of that role and seems to have had a great time doing it and it shows in his performance

its genuinely a stunning performance + it rules its such an incredibly serious and well acted role entirely to give back story for the name "die hardman". kojima is a true genuis

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Reik posted:

This is the only thing I've ever seen DSP in and it's amazing how easily it tells you everything about the guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqmh8yR_R8

interestingly this also tells people everything about you

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Farg posted:

The yakuza 8 dub is better tbh. You lose so many good little character bits playing in Japanese (you don't speak Japanese) (Idgaf about prozd or whoever voices kiryu in English I'm an adult)

havnt played it yet but i know with 100% certainty you are exactly and completely wrong

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

giving up quality of performance for the main character etc and all of the cutscenes so you can understand the combat barks is pyschotic. doubly so bcos not understanding combat barks makes them 1000x less annoying

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

the only time I have seen "hire a youtuber to be your voice actor" work well is SungWon Cho as Senshi in the dungeon meshi dub

probably works better when the youtuber is a guy whos content is him voice acting

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Runa posted:

SungWon Cho is pretty choice but I have to give props to Gianni Matragrano being willing to reprise his role as Gabriel Ultrakill saying literally any dumbass thing he thinks would be funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go6DRgNaCL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA9s3ypfMSA

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

old group LPs when ever a cutscene started

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ArfJason posted:

that gianni guy is cringe. what if duke nukem said something wholesome that duke nukem would never say x1000000. fail bait for fail idiots.

the clip where he mocks jerma is funny. hanvt seen anything else hes done

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m going to bother the people who were in his friend’s circle.

with great prejudice

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dongicus posted:

something really gay is happening. well bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

he types like a poorly localized jrpg