Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
WTF just happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yeaaaah come on, gently caress the super yachts. Also how many time does it need to be said Prospect Res is part of Sydney's water supply and you can NOT do what you want there. Not like there is a water park just across the road too......

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Do I really need to explain the logic behind giving billionaires a place to open their wallets

Also the pool would be a few hundred meters back from the reservoir. The waterpark across the road is cool and all, but it’s an expensive noisy mission, and not exactly nice and relaxing.

Do I need to explain the logic of "Billionaires are the main cause of how hosed things are and can gently caress the hell off"?

It does not matter where you put the pool, it is still restricted area due to catchment for the dam. Full stop. And uhhh.... since when is a public pool NOT noisy? Season pass for Raging Rapids is hundred buck for the season, that's not exactly bad value. The main issue is there's effectively no public transport even if a suitable bike path - actually quite a good one that's getting close to completion - exists from Blacktown.

If you still are keen for a public pool in the area, Blacktown Drive-In has land around it suitable altho Blacktown itself has a public pool already

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The problem with billionaires is that they have too much of the money, so if you have a more realistic way to redistribute it than to lure them to a nice dock with a guillotine inject it directly into the state economy by overcharging them for dinner and cocktails at local restaurants, we're all ears. Bearing in mind that the billionaires in question wouldn't otherwise even be in the country.

Yeah I have a proposal. Its called *Tax the ever living poo poo outta them*

Trickle down ecnomics is Reagenisque bullshit that means someone rich is taking a piss on you.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Artificial Kid posted:

I don’t know when the term tankie was coined

One of the Soviet Bloc countries int he 50's about their fellow citizen who supported the USSR rolling in tanks to rush protests.Might be Hungary but it's along those lines

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I’m talking about foreign billionaires silly. “Who otherwise wouldn’t be here”. I don’t think we can just tax them if they don’t choose to come here.

Then their home loving country can tax the everliving poo poo out of them so they cant buy their 5th yacht. They are the only boat people I dont want to ever see here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

We'd still need to get them here though. I’m told Sydney Airport is at capacity, and lol if you think they’re going to get the metro from Badgerys Creek.

There is in fact capacity at Kingsford Smith. Nancy Bird is more likely to get freight otherwise esp given 24/7 operations

quote:

Ok so you guys don't want hundreds of millions of virtually free extra dollars per year by just letting boats tie up here. We'll just keep using it to store massive and almost entirely pointless navy boats. Even the 5 storey carpark there underneath Embarkation Park alone would be worth billions.

Absolutly correct we dont want it. Billionaire pollution can just gently caress the hell off.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The under-funded womens shelters appreciate your principled stance.

Strawmanning means you dont have any decent reply and basically my answer to a strawman is "gently caress off, it's a stupid way to debate"

There is more than enough money for womens shelters from raising Gina Rinehart's taxes of you want to play it like that plus Garden Island if the navy vacated how many billions would that cost and also how about the regular visits foreign warships contribute to the economy to continue to play this game do you forgo?

It's a badly thought out idea esp trying to cater to a tiny mega wealthy minority. The fact anyone seriously suggests an idea to cater for billionaires on SA is just..... does my goddamn head in.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

imnotinsane posted:

Better rip up all those bike paths too Bucky, the super rich won't want to see riff raff while sitting in their limo being driven around and spending money

Those super rich wouldnt dream of limos, they would use their private helicopter to fly to the Hunter Valley and be served hand and foot by people they pay next to nothing for with imported luxury goods.

And who is going to sail their super yacht from Morocco / California to the arse end of the world anyway? Private jet all the way!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

hooman posted:

In loving horrible news, inquest into NSW cops killing a kid after stopping him for wearing a hoodie on a 23 degree day continues.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-17/nsw-police-shot-western-sydney-man-bradley-balzan-inquest/103592578

Don't read this if you're already feeling a bit poo poo, because it's deeply loving sad.

What the absolute gently caress, that is just beyond disgusting by the police.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Comstar posted:

Did 4 corners play Russian propaganda on Monday ?

Yes. What a loving disgrace

quote:

Guardian AU posted:

New South Wales police have rejected calls from the state’s police watchdog for updated training and protocols for officers on the use of force, especially when handcuffing children, after a scathing report handed down last year. In its Operation Mantus report, the NSW law enforcement conduct commission (Lecc) said the way police were trained should be changed and ongoing education provided to officers. Among its 19 recommendations, the commission said there was the need for “ongoing assessment as to whether it is appropriate to leave the person handcuffed after the arrest”. The police rejected the recommendation, along with another three, saying that when any police power is used the “involved officer must justify the use of that power”.

I swear Bucky's BS about bike paths was so much better for my mental health than reading about the cops being complete fuckwits like that or groping pre teens in strip searches or murdering innocent people. No go gently caress yourselves, those recommendations were entirely loving resonable.

Ugh.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Laserface posted:

they are funded and headed by a bunch of rich assholes that invest in airlines and other fossil fuel adjacent poo poo.

I'm not calling BS (it's entirely believeable and shitheads have done things liek this in the past) but I would love to see some stuff backing this for my own interest

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

i've noticed a bunch of stuff at coles that had crept up a dollar or two has now gone back to pre-covid prices so i think they may be making GBS threads themselves a little bit

Check the size/weight of the packages. Almost certainly shrinkflation

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Before Times posted:

hello friends, how goes australian politic

bike paths, police being bastards, Dutton still a poo poo

Pretty much the same as always

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

Cocaine isn't prohibited by WADA who test players on game day. AFL does the illicit drug testing, player's union shouldn't put up with it

Cocaine is very much a prohibited PED as per already quoted that has lead to deaths when used as a PED (Off the top of my head it was used as a stimulant and increases the effect of other PEDs, side effects may include heart attack)

What players do in their own off competition time is who the gently caress cares, In competition, it's banned for pretty sound reasons.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Trying to insist Newington - which is an environmentally sensitive area and a wharf that at low tides can't be used built on a historic site with preserivie order over it and with no existing PT other than an asspull idea of ferries that above reasons won't happen - when Penrith Lakes exist and has been used for festivals - is stupid. Not that Penrith Lakes is great for purpose but it's better than an area that also has residents close enough that may well get real annoyed by the noise

I'm not sure trying to handwave someone who sounds like they stiffed people for a lot of money is a good look either

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 1, 2024

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

birdstrike posted:

you’re all like 40 or 50 years old, let it go

Music festivals sound like an awful time but a looooot of people older than me love em so..... everyone else here is probably the prime market for them as well as you probably got the money to be able to get plastered on the 10 buck a cup beer

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bicycle NSW holds one in October with a mass ride from Milsons Pt to Olympic Park, there is MS Gong ride in November and Bobbin Head Classic in March.

So three good bike festivals but one more would be great

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

hambeet posted:

bucky!!! go to the bike festival and hand out copies of your manifesto path proposal!

Please dont enourage that, we got enough problems with half assed badly thought out bike infra as it is.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Good luck getting people out to Penrith for the day.

Ahhh yes problems getting people to Penrith for the multi day music festivals that have been out there, the running events, the Western Sydney 70.3 and any number of events Penrith Regatta hold every year.....

Yeah good luck indee..... oh wait.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Please don’t do this man. I appreciate the scrutiny you put it through and it withstood the lot.

It withstood absolutly gently caress all without even trying to nominally test it, dont kid yourself.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ok well no disrespect but imma take the word of the guy who’s literally dedicated himself to riding over all of Sydney and documenting the infrastructure over someone who thinks the end of the M7 at Abbott rd is "fine".

This is called "appeal to authority" via "I ride bike!" and it doesnt work when you are trying to do that by vs someone with 120,000kms in Sydney alone over the last 11 years.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ssmagus posted:

Once again, Cat interceptor's Fit Cyclist vs Buckys Casual bike rider augments. Seriously, you both have different things you want from cycling infrastructure and something for people who solo ride with speed is not for people who ride with others to get places. is that so hard for both of you to understand?

All I care about cycling is not getting a puncture from every ride from these stupid grasses in adelaide because i always get seam punctures that never hold patches

Seriouspost for a moment here, the actual thing I want is actually exactly what you want. Sydney does have some good cycling areas but there is some truly ridiculous crap that absolutly will stop casuals that does need to be addressed and be done twenty years ago. It can be done and some councils are actually trying to do it - sometimes pretty badly too unfortuantly and thats something that needs to be avoided.

What I've liked to do and invite People Who Matter to ride and experience the good and the bad and that's helped a bit but in the end what I really want is to get people out of cars and onto PT or self-powered transport and that's the way this city should be going. Cars loving SUCK for commuting. Ride or walk to a Metro/heavy / light rail or bus, go close to your destination, ride or walk the rest of the way. Like City of Victoria B.C., they dont have trains but they got an impressive bike network and buses everywhere that you can put your bike on.

I'm more onboard with Building Beautifully's idea of "Build Metro EVERYWHERE" than anything else honestly. Metros are awesome.

quote:

while he's basically saying "FYGM"

Mate, no. Just....... No. Just because I think your plan is not good doesnt mean that at all.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 2, 2024

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

imnotinsane posted:

The bubble has been going to burst for something like the last 15 years, I think it's just going to continue as is, and the divide between people who can afford houses and who can't will just keep getting bigger.

1 million for a house in Sydney and other capitals aren't far behind, I really wish this stupidity would stop, who the hell can afford these things?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Channel 7 really seems hell bent on being worse than Murdoch media

JBP posted:

Bro this is the show that went to gender clinics and demonised the people working there while showing the locations on prime time television. When the host interviewed the sole actual expert on the the topic he opened with calling him an ivory tower elite. The show is loving evil and the people involved are evil.

I've never heard of that show but that's some hosed up poo poo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Meanwhile, half the east coast is on flood alert

In an El Nino year.

Wetter and more humid may well be the what the east coast has to look forward to in the coming years as warm water gets further down the coast.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So not only do 7 protect and pay murderers and rapists, they employ fuckwits as well. Not surprised at all

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I wonder what this says about Bucky's plan

I'm nots ure what their point is when .... humans have always developed places to live along transport corridors??

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Surely you could get a bag and a cheap hooker for the night for $750

Cheap hooker was about 100 bucks an hour 30 years ago, Google tells me 250-300 now. The woman who was Richard Pratt's mistress was 5 grand an hour or over 20K a night if you want to know what high end starts at.

Synthbuttrange posted:

This is turning out so well for seven and bruce

I'd laugh but gg what a bunch of shitstains Seven / Bruce are. Hope they get put to the sword by the judge when he makes hi ruling

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Channel 7 keeps on winning

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...414-p5fjoo.html

Hopefully he sues the poo poo out of them

Ch 7 makign a huge play to be worse than Sky After Dark

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well I'm glad the judge understands the concept of consent.

Hopefully damages awarded against Lehmann will be formidible

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

"having escaped the lions den, Mr Lehrmann made the mistake of coming back for his hat" oof

HAHAHA LOLWUT the judge actually said that?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Captain Theron posted:

At the start of his conclusion for maximum impact.

And at the conclusion "I publish my reason and adjourn the court" then walks out like he dropped the mic.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JBP posted:

Did not expect to be lolling at big chungus in 2024

JfC LMAO

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Non Compos Mentis posted:

will this ruling make those trials more interesting now or are they not allowed to use it?

In general, not allowed to use it but there are times it can be submitted as part of the legal proceedings?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I don't have a huge issue with a mum and pa having a single rental property. I have a huge problem with shitheads gathering up large portfolios and commercial residential landlords. gently caress off with the housing is an investment bs that is ruining affordability

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Crypto was a really dope idea

It was always a bad idea looking for a non existant problem to solve. Same with blockchain

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I would be super chuffed if you can provide sources that support diamond, gold and precious stone mining around the world causing less damage and issues than *checks notes* generating the power of a good-sized European country.

Crypto single handed reversed a whole bunch of emissions reductions and is responsible for actual full percentages of carbon emissions as well as requiring a bunch of precious resources to build ASICs like.... gold to do exactly jack loving poo poo worthwhile. Crypto does not solve any problem at all and is significantly worse that what exists now.

hooman posted:

They aren't traded as securities, nobody is in the short term market for diamonds or gold.

Not true. Short term contracts / markets do exist for them

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

This is pretty dumb because the vast majority of those things being mined is not used for practical purposes it's enabling security trading and making trinkets.

Gold is about 78% for shiny things true, diamond however is approx 70-80% industrial because it's real drat useful for cutting, drilling, polishing and grinding.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

You can use lab grown diamonds for jewellery though, except for the fact that people seem to really like having child slave labour involved in making their shiny rocks.

Lab grown diamonds are so good DeBeers changed their campaign saying the "true value of a gem diamond is it's flaws"

The value of diamonds isn't really tied to the fact they have an actual use besides being a store of wealth, you can't use industrial grade diamonds for jewellery and as much as you could theoretically smash up gem quality diamonds to make abrasives you probably don't want to.

That wasnt the point I was trying to go against - what I was debunking is the idea diamonds are primarily used for wealth store when they arent. There's also on that tho the point that trying to sell "gem" diamonds usually doesnt financially go too well so thy arent that great as a value store unless you get a diamond of note

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Megabound posted:

AI is going to be so much worse than crypto in terms of value generated to emissions belched out into the world.

Paracausal posted:

Yep, all the big tech companies have already started chewing up all the available enterprise computing space to sink into this bullshit and it's only going to get worse in the short term. The bubble needs to burst asap (and people need to keep feeding junk into them to make it more and more useless)

While I completely agree LLM's / Generative Computation is a bubble that badly needs to burst and gently caress off, unlike Crypto it does has some use, so the tech companies like Microsoft - ESP Microsoft - are going to leverage the small amount of use cases to keep forcing it everywhere and it's going to stay like a smelly poo poo dumped in the middle of the room no one wants to clean up. Crypto can gently caress off tomorrow and no one but the bag holders will notice or care, cant say the same for LLM's or Generative Computing now.

Microsoft is profiting heavily from it all because Azure is the backbone of so loving much of it, a lot more than I think most even in tech realise.

quote:

Crypto is estimated to use about half to three quarters of a percent of global energy generation, mostly from renewables (because they routinely build where cheap and often wasted (hydro)electricity is available) so no, crypto is nothing remotely close to a full percentage points of carbon emissions. In fact, if it helps monetize otherwise curtailed renewable generation (and it reduces/scales back consumption at other times), it is contributing to the transition to renewables by decreasing the importance of dispatchable generation while improving the economics of otherwise marginal wind and solar.

This is wrong and fortunalty I dont need to point out that it's dribble from the Crypto bros, thanks to those who already debunked.

Plus lets say it's .5%. 0.5% of thw ALL the worlds energy going towards doing exactly nothing of worth when all that power could be used to do real poo poo that can reduce carbon. ANY power used by crypto poo poo is wasted.

The big problem now tho is as crypto goes out the window, LLM's are taking the power instead, we are just so loving dumb as a species.