Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Main Paineframe posted:

i'm pretty sure it's just because the thread got taken over by three terribly tiresome posters who spent an entire page just yelling back and forth at each other about petty, highly personal disagreements nobody else cares about

kind of a perfect demonstration of how D&D works in general these days

hooting clowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

socialsecurity posted:

That's true, it's basically the same one long problem it's been since what 2016ish?

dunno

old d&d had psycho nightmare composite poly-problems compared to now, dont think they're comparable to the much more on-the-surface complaints or bizarre hangups of today

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE FORUMS BY PURCHASING AVATARS FOR ME

hooman posted:

It's also interesting that a post like that took 11 days to be reported. That seems to indicate that people posting in D&D are not being sufficiently proactive in reporting bad posts more generally. I have been trying to be more active in hitting report on posts that are rule breaking.

... normally we don't reveal who reports anything, but you were the one who reported that post after 11 days.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

Valentin posted:

e: like I can't emphasize enough how uninformative this is:

I can't even tell from context, because no one appears to reply to the post. What point is being made here? Sometimes people are lightly antagonistic towards you in easily ignorable ways?

It requires knowing a bit about the posters in question, but Baronash was correct to probe that. The reason no one responded is that the intent of the post was to antagonize rather than discuss, which is D&D's definition of trolling.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Moderators are in fact supposed to take a user's history of probations and practices into account. In practice this does not reliably happen, because the moderators do not read the forum, because some of them are resistant to applying punishments at all, because there may be some sort of higher obstacle to bans and forumbans, and because there is such heavy turnover among DnD moderators (a self-perpetuating problem).

The only higher obstacle to bans would be admin denial, which is very rare, and the highest obstacle to forumbans would be me, and I am almost always in favor of them.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

i'm pretty sure it's just because the thread got taken over by three terribly tiresome posters who spent an entire page just yelling back and forth at each other about petty, highly personal disagreements nobody else cares about

kind of a perfect demonstration of how D&D works in general these days

I do find this conflict difficult to understand and without much relevancy to moderation issues (other than issues of what constitutes bad faith or how to recognize patterns in behavior). I do hope exchanges like that one are not common in D&D proper, and I urge you to report them and they will be dealt with.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Koos Group posted:

... normally we don't reveal who reports anything, but you were the one who reported that post after 11 days.

I didn't remember that, lol. As I said I have been trying to be more active in reporting bad posts when I see them. So a very clearly rulebreaking post that the everyone who read it, except me, didn't report.

I didn't mean my post to be a criticism of modding, because if posts aren't reported they can't be acted on. As posters we need to be more proactive in reporting bad posts. We bear responsibility for terrible posts not being acted on if we don't report them.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Out of curiosity about the reports system, when a post gets reported hitting the report button again brings up the this post has been reported dialogue. Is that on a timer or something, or is it just one report per post?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Stringent posted:

Out of curiosity about the reports system, when a post gets reported hitting the report button again brings up the this post has been reported dialogue. Is that on a timer or something, or is it just one report per post?

It's just one report per post, and while one of the very few topics that will make me scream inchoately into the void until my throat gives out is the design of the reports subforum (and oh yes, my friends, it is a subforum), abolishing that restriction would kill every last one of us.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Goatse James Bond posted:

It's just one report per post, and while one of the very few topics that will make me scream inchoately into the void until my throat gives out is the design of the reports subforum (and oh yes, my friends, it is a subforum), abolishing that restriction would kill every last one of us.

brb, writing a ticket for astral

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Goatse James Bond posted:

sounds like the reporting system is comically braindead

why not a system where any user can report a post and if one post gets repeatedly reported it just pushes it up to the top of the priority list for more immediate attention

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
i mean i already probably know the answer (backend held together with twine and mummy dust) but still one would think you could hope

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Staluigi posted:

i mean i already probably know the answer (backend held together with twine and mummy dust) but still one would think you could hope

The mummy dust is a step up from the load bearing slurs.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Koos Group posted:

I do find this conflict difficult to understand and without much relevancy to moderation issues (other than issues of what constitutes bad faith or how to recognize patterns in behavior). I do hope exchanges like that one are not common in D&D proper, and I urge you to report them and they will be dealt with.

Yes, this was my intention, thanks for being focused on the merits. :) Let me know if there's anything unclear, although by DM might be better.

e to add: As to whether those kinds of arguments are common, I can't say, but whenever I see them do happen, they very often are reported and well, this leads us back to the problem, that it takes days, if not over a week, for there to be any action, and consequently allows for multiple pages for it to occur.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 14, 2024

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Raenir Salazar posted:

it takes days, if not over a week, for there to be any action, and consequently allows for multiple pages for it to occur.

i think that might be due to how long it takes to read your posts, or just skim by them and ignore them because they're too long, have you ever thought about offering a thesis and then defending it below?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Stringent posted:

i think that might be due to how long it takes to read your posts, or just skim by them and ignore them because they're too long, have you ever thought about offering a thesis and then defending it below?

Bold of you to assume I'm only talking about conversations I'm actively participating in; and not like, just generally catching up on a thread and seeing jibba-jabba going on for multiple pages, hitting the report button, seeing its already reported, and as I catch up to the current page notice that we're now days later with nothing done and the derail or whatever still ongoing. But you knew that.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Raenir Salazar posted:

Bold of you to assume I'm only talking about conversations I'm actively participating in; and not like, just generally catching up on a thread and seeing jibba-jabba going on for multiple pages, hitting the report button, seeing its already reported, and as I catch up to the current page notice that we're now days later with nothing done and the derail or whatever still ongoing. But you knew that.

It's not bold, because I'm specifically talking about you, and yes I did already know that. You're a lovely writer, but you are good at collating facts. Hence my request to offer a thesis and defend it below.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Stringent posted:

It's not bold, because I'm specifically talking about you, and yes I did already know that. You're a lovely writer, but you are good at collating facts. Hence my request to offer a thesis and defend it below.

Koos can you chime in if these sorts of posts are desirable for the feedback thread?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Raenir Salazar posted:

Koos can you chime in if these sorts of posts are desirable for the feedback thread?

Saying you're a terrible writer is like saying the sun comes up in the morning, so if Koos wants to hit me for that go nuts.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

My feedback would be to leave this thread open permanently even though you can't get to responses immediately all the time. The thread always blows up when you open it but dies down eventually. The traditional games feedback thread was like that but hasn't had a new post since early December. This feedback thread is going to have more responses because its D&D but dealing with things publicly as close to when they occur works really well for forums.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Leave the thread open permanently, but every post gets an automatic 6 hour probation to discourage grudgeposting.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Staluigi posted:

why not a system where any user can report a post and if one post gets repeatedly reported it just pushes it up to the top of the priority list for more immediate attention

I disagree with GJB on the topic and have asked for something similar to this, but nothing's come of it.

Staluigi posted:

Regarding reports, you are very correct.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Personal criticisms are allowed in feedback threads if relevant to moderation or the credibility of a user in the thread, but I would prefer Stringent be more respectful to you and let this particular conflict be, as we've seen enough about it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Koos Group posted:

Personal criticisms are allowed in feedback threads if relevant to moderation or the credibility of a user in the thread, but I would prefer Stringent be more respectful to you and let this particular conflict be, as we've seen enough about it.

Thanks. :)

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

gurragadon posted:

My feedback would be to leave this thread open permanently even though you can't get to responses immediately all the time. The thread always blows up when you open it but dies down eventually. The traditional games feedback thread was like that but hasn't had a new post since early December. This feedback thread is going to have more responses because its D&D but dealing with things publicly as close to when they occur works really well for forums.

I think this is a good idea

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fister Roboto posted:

Leave the thread open permanently, but every post gets an automatic 6 hour probation to discourage grudgeposting.

This is a really good idea

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Please do not create a permanent less moderated space for moderation feedback when you are already unable to moderate the existing set of reports in a near-timely fashion.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah B B is a good example, he used to send PMs when you'd fall for his trap and get probed.

The dude wanders into USCE every few days to post some random poll with a zero-thought one liner like "This seems bad for the Democrats." Anyone who falls for it deserves it, but it's also the kind of posting that only looks sus if you actually follow the thread.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The dude wanders into USCE every few days to post some random poll with a zero-thought one liner like "This seems bad for the Democrats." Anyone who falls for it deserves it, but it's also the kind of posting that only looks sus if you actually follow the thread.

Honestly I'd recommend just ignoring people like that, but I've seen people get probed for not responding to arguments so I'm not sure how that would work.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Staluigi posted:

I actually like this one. If astral could implement it (and I'm not sure he easily can), maybe with an appended "this post has been reported by these X different accounts who number Y" or something. Avoids hilariously clogging the forum, achieves design goals.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I wasn’t trying to be being polite when I asked earlier, How are you all doing?

I think it’s going to get progressively crazier as the election approaches and god help us if a certain candidate wins. How is the mod team feeling about themselves and moderating D&D now and also looking forward into November?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'll add a vote for a permanent feedback thread, just keep it under martial law or something. I think threads sometimes have pressing issues or concerns and being able to express them in a focused manner without having to go to PM would be useful. Just crush anyone who wants to use it for chat or other stupid poo poo as IMO that degrades feedback threads by encouraging clique-ish behavior.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think it’s going to get progressively crazier as the election approaches and god help us if a certain candidate wins. How is the mod team feeling about themselves and moderating D&D now and also looking forward into November?

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

jokes aside this is a much less unpleasant environment than 2020 cycle (when, God help me, I signed up as an ik). We could use another one or two mods imo but I've seen such sights worse.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I'm not a niod so I don't know if this belongs in this thread but i'm hanging on by, well a thread. Already been probed for making concerning comments in regards to political stuff and am probably going to request a 24h probe for Election Day. I don't know how any American who isn't a fascist can be in good mental health right now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
farting around in here is all well and good, but how long has it been since anyone's checked the D&D reports?

my money's on "at least two days"

as long as it takes several days for poo poo to get hit, it doesn't really matter what the mod guidelines are

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

farting around in here is all well and good, but how long has it been since anyone's checked the D&D reports?

my money's on "at least two days"

as long as it takes several days for poo poo to get hit, it doesn't really matter what the mod guidelines are

Give me your money. This was from a post from March 13

gjb posted:

Now, normally, l'd think a day was appropriate for this, and it is.
But you reported your own post, so I would like to commemorate that.
A shameful display. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

The Sean posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hooman posted:

I didn't remember that, lol. As I said I have been trying to be more active in reporting bad posts when I see them. So a very clearly rulebreaking post that the everyone who read it, except me, didn't report.

I didn't mean my post to be a criticism of modding, because if posts aren't reported they can't be acted on. As posters we need to be more proactive in reporting bad posts. We bear responsibility for terrible posts not being acted on if we don't report them.

If people aren't reporting things it may be indicative that they don't think they should be moderated. You can't make people report things in that instance. Even if they break the rules because not everyone is going to agree with the rules.

What you're observing I think is an unwillingness to snitch, which I would suggest might demonstrate a lack of buy in to the rules or enforcement thereof. And thus appealing to people to more proactively snitch is likely not to be effective.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 15, 2024

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i am not a d&d mod so i cannot speak for them obviously but as someone who can see the reports forum, i can assure everyone here that a sufficient number of posts are being reported.

in fact i went and did some counting/spreadsheet stuff and this forum has gotten more than twice as many reports as cspam and gbs, the next busiest forums in terms of reports, combined.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
d&d full of the kids who volunteered for hall monitor confirmed

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

i am not a d&d mod so i cannot speak for them obviously but as someone who can see the reports forum, i can assure everyone here that a sufficient number of posts are being reported.

in fact i went and did some counting/spreadsheet stuff and this forum has gotten more than twice as many reports as cspam and gbs, the next busiest forums in terms of reports, combined.

Reported for backseating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

i retract my current support for the koos moderation regime. while i support trying to reduce the volume of posts so mods don't have to look at reports, i fear he has only concentrated and intensified the backseat-modding posting gene in this particular petri dish.