Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hundreds of years pass, something goes wrong in the Vault, and your character has to leave to explore the world that has crawled up out of the nuclear ash and maybe save the day? The wasteland is a dangerous place filled with radiation, monsters, radiation monsters, and colorful folk that might try and eat you.

Against my better judgment, I'm looking forward to this :allears: Give me the crazy ultraviolence from the first 2, let Kyle MacLachlan chew the scenery, and the Ghoul better be the coolest cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Ghoul looks very good in motion in the trailer, IMO. I wouldn't want a Fallout 1 Harold style ghoul as a main character really, it'd be wonky CGI eating budget for no good reason.

Feral ghouls can look like decayed corpses tho for all I care

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Even 4 has a lot of snarky dark humour and satire, they just buried most of it in random personal computer consoles in side areas for some loving reason

If the show focuses on the insanity of whatever the supposed and real projects of this vault are, that has potential. Though pretty much anything will be a step up from a main plot consisting of WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALT and some :techno: cryogenics

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Torquemada posted:

Yet, I somehow get the feeling the only noise I'm going to hear about this show is the droning bullshit of the microscopic amount of Fallout 1 +2 fans yelling about lore no one cares about.

Look, buddy, you can't say a talking deathclaw won't be the next baby Yoda without giving it a fair shake :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Fallout 3 genuinely has one of my favorite moments in games where you step out of 101 to see the Capital Wasteland for the first time.

I was pretty impressed with the opening of F4 :allears:

twistedmentat posted:

People complain about Bethesda Fallout but they reality is they tool what was a well-regarded but almost forgotten franchise and turned it into a major one.

I complain about F4 because the main plot is asinine, and I personally don't like the basebuilding, but all the power to folks who do

F4 is a great post-apocalyptic sniper simulator, and some of the side areas are hilarious and or creepy!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

They're nailed F4's aesthetic for sure

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Fallout: with a big bezos on his hip

I am looking forward to explaining fallout to my family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG3uBgQmTnk

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Watched the whole thing, it was better than I expected. I won't bother with walls of spoilers, will just say that (ending)I had my doubts there for a bit, but they did manage to tie everything together in the end so kudos. And I loved every single stupid reference to the games I spotted :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Doltos posted:

Finished it last night. Enjoyed it a lot. There's a little bit of a problem with plot armor but I think the point of the show is more comedic and character driven than trying to be brutal.

I'm not great with fallout lore or recognizing points of interest so at the end what was the town that Henry approached after running away? Was it New Vegas?

Yeah.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

Lucy/Max: I hated Max the entire time, to the point where I was sure he put the razor blade in his BFF's boot. He power-tripped hard, and the romantic subplot felt forced. But I liked that his character meant that Lucy wasn't the most naïve person in the Wasteland, which would have been an easy trap for the show to fall into. I don't think anyone else pointed this out, but Max survived the nuke by hiding in a fridge! Except in the Fallout universe it makes a little more sense that fridges would be nuke-proof. Hell it was probably in the marketing material.

I figured this was an explicit reference to a mini-quest in F4, where the player finds a ghoulified child in a fridge by the road

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

RangerKarl posted:

IIRC your first introduction to the Brotherhood, in the entire series, is getting sent on a wild goose chase into a fatally irradiated hole, by a guy who's basically loving with you. Lost Hills or not these guys remind me of that doorman a lot.

While this is true, and Cabbott is an rear end in a top hat, the Glow is one of the coolest places to explore

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Pariah dog Snake-oil Salesman :hmmyes:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Mainly though I really picked up more on the small moments between Max and Lucy and I disagree with people saying they have no chemistry, they're both 2 really naive weirdos who have a ton in common in both mannerisms and attitude, but one was way better equipped by their upbringing to handle the situations they find themselves in. I've seen some criticism that wishes that Max was a cool action hero guy instead and I really disagree, him being himself ends up really core to the show.

This show would be fairly awful if Max were a genuine hero archetype dude. An absolute dumbass failing upwards and behaving like a small child on several occasions makes him a pretty good window into the weirdness that is the wasteland, and a good counter-balance character to play off of Lucy's "okey dokey!" pragmatic naivete, as you say.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Vault Tec Nixoned the war with China to benefit themselves.

Who got the pandas?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zoux posted:

Has Kyle MacLachlan played a bad guy before - no Paul Atreides doesn't count

He was the bad husband to Bree in Desperate Housewives

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

I think House still running New Vegas and dealing with the different tribes he installed would be about a million times more interesting than any NCR stuff

They already had him on the show, so I am hoping they do something interesting with Vegas.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

weren't the BOS in Fallout 1 and 2 standoffish but helpful?

No. In Fallout 1 they send you on a mission, because Cabbot is a dill-hole, to the most dangerous place in the Wasteland. Good luck there. In Fallout 2, the BoS is mostly powerless.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

mclem posted:

Random thought, because I don't think I've actually seen it explicitly confirmed in the games, but it's been a while and I've not played the later ones fully: Do we actually know what became of the President at the time the bombs dropped?

You get to meet the POTUS in Fallout 2. Also, Dan Quayle, for some reason.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

esquilax posted:

The Master was the best because his entire plan was to just dip people in bug tubs of green goo.

Pure pulp, no daddy issues or Hegel quotes necessary.

Doesn't one of the Fallout 4 loading screen blurbs or whatever state that the Super Mutants consider themselves better suited for life in the wasteland than humans? I can sorta see their point.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

That was the intent of West-Tek's initial research into FEV: build a better soldier that can survive a radioactive wasteland in the event of nuclear war.

The trouble was that the original strains of FEV used to make Super Mutants also had the side effect of causing severe brain damage, or very brief moments of Flowers for Algernon-style intelligence before falling off the deep end into stupidity. So most Super Mutants are big, green, and dumb. These are the ones you see around Boston, DC, and Appalachia.

In California it's a bit different. When the man who became The Master fell into the goo pit, he mutated into something else entirely and became extremely intelligent, and he used this intelligence to work through the flaws in FEV and built a better mutant. One that was bigger, stronger and most importantly, smarter than (most) humans. These First Generation Mutants are pretty rare in the modern day wasteland and tend to stick to themselves.

Then the Enclave showed up and enslaved people, putting them to work digging out the old base where the Master's FEV vats had been located. These people were also exposed to FEV but unlike the ones tweaked by the Master, they were made by accident and ended up being rather dumb. Certain 1st Gen Mutants refer to them as Dum-Dums.

As depicted, the Master (Master! Master) is a symbiosis of multiple people, even though I guess Richard Grey is still the main persona.

In the original games, we don't meet that many Super Mutants. There's Harry who is, well, a bit dim, the Lou Tenant who is quite articulate and smug at you, and then there's Marcus who is clearly intelligent and keeps making sick burns at Myron, baby, Myron.

The entire time-line for the east coast doesn't really make a lick of sense, but you get to shoot at Super Mutants so who cares? But my general point was that the Super Mutants, stupid or not, thrive in the wasteland, whereas a major mechanic of Fallout 4 and whoo boy it's an awful one is trying to keep humans fed and supplied with water.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

If only humans could subsist off of big mesh bags full of gore and viscera

rear end jerky ain't gonna make itself, Lucy!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The show did the hyper-violence well when it happened, but I was kind of sad that BoS just carried those assault rifles instead of miniguns. At least the Vertibirds had 'em.

I do like that the show explicitly makes the BoS a horrible organization, and you're not meant to identify with them at all, it's just somewhat related to how Max is a dumb-rear end by his own rights.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There was a Fat Man in the shop with the... Leg stuff. And Moldaver is holding a laser gun in the final episode. They're just not using them.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just finished the last few episodes, and I was happy with how it all turned out. It did feel like they backloaded a lot of the explanation of what was going on into the final episode. I have to assume they knew ahead of time that they were getting a 2nd season, because this season ends with a lot of things either unexplained or plot lines incomplete.

I was surprised how little of the Enclave we got in this season outside of that one episode. I have to assume they will be more prominent in season 2.

I assume they figured people would just binge it since it all dropped at once, that way you can tell the entire story in one long movie and you can let it all come together at the end. I was kinda worried around episode six-ish that there was no way this could be resolved satisfactorily, but they managed it IMO. There's a lot of character and world building that doesn't necessarily lead to much, like the Ghoul doesn't necessarily need 2 hours of back-story before the bombs fell for the character itself to work, but a) it's their big-name lead b) it does help viewers unfamiliar with the franchise understand the absolutely ridiculous version of America that existed back then.

Similarly, The Scientist doesn't need a lot of back-story to him, he's a dude who saves a puppy from being incinerated because he's a human loving being, and everyone wants to get at him for another thing he has, which we learn from the other characters' storylines. We don't need exposition on the Enclave that much, since we see them doing insane and inhumane science in mass production and for most folks that's a clue that these are not nice people.

If they can get Agent Cooper for season 2, it'll probably revolve around him, Vault-Tek, the Enclave and mister House.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dr.Radical posted:

I think the dog stuff isn’t an experiment per-say, it’s just that they determined that dogs worth training fit a certain profile so if a puppy does not fit that, they’re useless and should be destroyed. And then the scientist, being a decent person, saves one and takes it in.

Oh yeah, the incineration part was sort of incidental to the experiments / training, they just wanted a very specific type of canine mass produced. But the Scientist gets to save a puppy, and we have a doggy friend for our show, so it all works out.

roomtone posted:

one of the reasons I enjoyed the series so much is that it didn't feel like an 8 hour movie.

it's funny how the ghoul's comment about getting sidetracked is lampshading how the subplots (gulper, vault 4, organ dealers, etc) are coming from the way the games are structured but it's actually just circled back around to being more like a classic TV show with actual episodes.

I like that they got to have side-adventures since that developed the characters a lot, like Max just havin' a grand ole time eating popcorn and watching a waterfall on teevee, happy as a pig in slop and Lucy has to snap him out of it. But Max sees Bad Thing happening with Lucy and abandons his popcorn, since he's becoming a decent-ish guy. Etc. The show had room to breathe, as it were. My specific concern was that they couldn't narrate their way out of everything that was going on, but that mostly happens in the finale, and we get a decent hook for season 2, as well.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I only played a little of Fallout 3, this is the first I've heard of Fallout London. I just googled it and it looks like it's just a mod? It's not canon, I assume?

What would an official Fallout game set in Europe look like, I wonder? I've been trying to find info on what the rest of the world is like, and can't find much. I know a few people (somehow?) made it to America from Europe, and that some of Europe ended up in their own war against the Middle East, I think? So they're probably also screwed. China is presumably bombed out by the U.S., and I'm going to assume Russia along with them due to either alliances or China taking them over. How's Africa doing? Would they have been wrapped up in the Europe vs. Middle East war somehow? I also know there's a shot in one game that shows the planet from...a space station, or a space ship, or something? And the whole planet seems generally puke green and screwed from the sheer amount of bombs dropped, so I know no where is truly "safe". Is Australia doing its Mad Max thing?

I know this is all hypothetical, because I don't think they've really said. And an official game probably would never take place outside of the U.S. because, as far as we know, Vault-Tec only made Vaults in the U.S., and leaving the Vaults behind would fundamentally change the plot too much. But I could see a game making a twist where Vault-Tec had some Vaults secretly created somewhere else where no one was expecting them. But I'm saying this as someone who has come to the plot super late.

(As you can see, while I've barely played the games, I've gotten a little too into videos about the lore of Fallout since the show came out. Fascinating world.)

I read the FAQ for Fallout: London a long time ago, and it looked like they'd just made up their own factions to world-build a nuked southern England, so it's divorced from the US "political" content for the most part. If that still applies, at least.

The Fallout 1 intro from way back then only states that "The European Commonwealth had dissolved into quarreling, bickering nation states bent on controlling the last remaining resources on Earth. In 2077, the storm of world war had come again. In 2 brief hours, most of the planet was reduced to cinders." As you say, this leaves it pretty open which parts specifically were destroyed completely, but I read this as Europe at least being hosed, and probably the Middle East too.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rubellavator posted:

is Fallout London also culturally trapped in the 50s except British? I don't even know what that's like

I won't quote this wall of text, but this is the introduction of the factions in the mod. I dunno how 50's England this is.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Finally, when you have a fusion core the size of a drink bottle that is capable of powering an entire vault, is a cold fusion chip the size of a grain of rice really that bid a deal?

You can see an entire ruined city-scape lighting up once they get the rice-grain running, it's more like a Hoover dam equivalent or better than a power source for a power armor. I'm not gonna bother doing any fake math on a :techno: power source, but a fusion core seems to be a thing that runs a single generator in Fallout 4, for example. Or it gives you 500 shots on a gatling laser gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Mutants in general are more common than Super Mutants (tm). Remember that there's a lot of wasteland animals out there that have mutated. Not just the irradiated ones that are bigger versions of animals (roaches, scorpions and flies) or two-headed ungulates (brahmin and radstags). I'm talking stuff like Centaurs or the Vault 4 Gulpers or Deathclaws. Those would all technically be mutants.

Technically centaurs and floaters were made by the Master (Master! Master!), but I think at least Fallout 1 or 2 says Deathclaw are mutated chameleons.