Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

I know that people will get mad at the Okie-Dokie!

gently caress 'em, it's a funny catchphrase to have for a clueless goober from a vault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They nuked it, because Todd wanted old fans who think that New Vegas is better that 3&4 to eat poo poo and cry.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kavak posted:

I think they're going to say it's canon but change a bunch of stuff and there will be a bunch of exhausting lovely arguments on Reddit on whether it's still canon or not and it won't matter because Fallout 5 isn't getting made until like 2035 and we'll all be dead by then.

Microsoft please be evil money-grubbers and make Obsidian and Inxile work on Fallout games, I'd like to play one more of them before I die.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you search for 'fallout' on Twitter, the critics are starting to talk about it and they seem to like it.

https://twitter.com/griffschiller/status/1777772271014469872

https://twitter.com/EricVespe/status/1777534479684309371

https://twitter.com/shayhbaz/status/1777750487611146384

https://twitter.com/helloimjlaw/status/1777801247610794495

https://twitter.com/chriskillian/status/1777732501391253639

etc

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
92% Critic score atm

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/fallout/s01/reviews

Then again, Bezos LOTR wasn't that far off

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
if only there was some other coast that was still in the post-apocalypse stage and prominently featured BOS

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Screenshots re: the lore spoilerblocks

Chronologically, Fallout 3 is set in 2277 and New Vegas in 2281.

And they show an obviously ruined Vegas at the very end of E8.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Todd will pay for his crimes

this but unironically

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

This pretty good show is really bringing some of the biggest nut jobs on the internet out of the woodwork, hoo boy.

Acting like Todd Howard personally ordered every copy of New Vegas confiscated and burned.

It’s not! It’s installed on my computer right now!

They made a big deal during promotion about how this show is definitely canon from now on and how Bethesda has checked and approved all the lore.

So if they did retcon New Vegas for dumb reasons, it doesn't delete your personal copy of New Vegas, sure, but it might gently caress over any future games set in the West Coast.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

What makes you think they are gonna set more games on the west coast? Obsidian is off making their own IP. Avowed looks neat and Bethesda has repeatedly said they aren't interested in other studios handling their IPs or setting fallout stuff on the west coast.

Microsoft owns Bethesda now. (And Obsidian and Inxile.) There are no official statements to point at, for obvious reasons, but it kinda seems like MS has slowly been getting more and more hands-on with Bethesda after Redfall bombed and Starfield failed to meet expectations. Like, after SF came out they actually put an exec from MS above Todd in the BGS hierarchy.

And, sure, they might just let Bethesda let the Fallout IP lay fallow for a decade as they're working on Elder Scrolls just as there is a hit tv show bringing the IP to the public's eye, but I dunno, if I was MS I'd personally start looking into letting other studios have a go. Might not be Obsidian, even if they are an obvious choice, but I'd take anyone tbh, as long as someone's actually working on a new game.

quote:

setting fallout stuff on the west coast.

I mean.... *points at the TV show*

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

There seem to be quite a few people on social media who’ve forgotten that outside of House’s personal fiefdom on the Strip, Vegas was a broken down poo poo hole. Although here, it seems like the wall is around the entire city, not just the Strip.

Sure, but The Strip is supposed to glow and poo poo, even from a distance, it's kind of a defining feature.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D_C0gNjaiw

EDIT: Apparently forum doesn't want to embed. Tim Cain made a video about the tv show.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

That's some top notch nerdin'.

Also, whoever owns that saloon in Goodsprings has to be very appreciative of New Vegas at this point.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Fun fact:

Prior to its release, original Fallout game advertised front-and-center that its character/rules system was the GURPS (Generic Universal Role Playing System) by Steve Jackson Games. There was a falling out over the content approval process, allegedly in part because SJG objected to the gory content of the game, and Interplay dropped the licensing agreement and reworked the mechanics to the SPECIAL system.

I wonder if Steve Jackson has spent this last week kicking himself.

I imagine after multiple AAA games making gazillions, he's had time to make peace with it by now, otherwise we'd be hearing about his multiple ulcers.

Anyway, even classic SPECIAL isn't really GURPS-y and 4&76 aren't GURPS-y at all.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 16, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Yep he's the Howard Hughes-looking dude from RobCo.

I hope that the show doesn't stay in the Mojave too long because the endings for New Vegas all mark a massive turning point in the Wasteland depending on who comes out on top. If House is alive then it's a robot army industrial powerhouse. If the Legion won then its a slaver state. If the NCR won then its a messy new state in the country that isn't doing so hot with its home city nuked. If Vegas went independent then it's an anarchist playground.

Or they could be big fans of the DUST mod for New Vegas where the entire mojave goes up in flames and becomes a survival horror simulator.

NCR couldn't keep winning for "setting still needs some conflict" reasons, Legion was set to self-implode with Caesar's death, the Courier is a blank slate that would be hard to introduce as a character, so I vote for House winning, but Hoover Dam doesn't provide any energy anymore for some reason, so the Strip isn't glowing and the robot army is mostly offline.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Which, to think of it, could just also be called No Mutants Allowed.

i appreciated this joke

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You should watch Arcane.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Aurubin posted:

I wonder if Wasteland 3 got a bump in sales at all. Play Wasteland 3, it's fun and goofy, if a little underbaked. Also the soundtrack is great. Best cover of "Everybody Have Fun Tonight", "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and "Are You Washed in the Blood" all in the same place.

Seems like it did.

https://steamcharts.com/app/719040#1m

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Edit: although they may skip West Virginia, as Fallout 76 is ongoing, and while as they said writing a sequel for a game with multiple endings is hard, writing a sequel for a game that's still ongoing would seem to be just an utter minefield you just straight up want to avoid. Although they might try anyway as you know, that would be pretty amazing free publicity for 76 so hey might be worth the risk for them. :shrug:

That'll be pretty funny, because Fallout 76 takes place about two hundred years before the show, but when the TV show arrives there I bet it'll still be Raiders vs Responders vs BOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Chamale posted:

They're not the cryptid mole people, just human miners who were mutated by radiation while hiding out underground.

They're kinda both, everything in Fallout 76 is normal creatures that just happened to mutate into something that's exactly like the local cryptid legends.