Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Take over a client’s project from a different supplier
Draw the short straw and get tasked with reviewing hundreds of slides of the previous supplier’s reports, then summarise them into a few pages
Ask AI to do this
It helpfully decides the two main themes are: the former supplier’s name, and the client’s name, because both are written in the footer of every slide

The future’s not looking promising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tarkus posted:

So, I have to ask, what does this post mean? Did you just throw it images of some tables, ask for the theme of them and then throw your hands up when it didn't read your mind? What AI were you using? What did you supply it for data (images/ tables/text)? Did you give it any context or form your prompts clearly?

Like I understand that it's been oversold as magic or SHODAN, however, while these things are quite limited they can do some pretty cool stuff including looking at tables and surmising what they might be for.

Nah these are PowerPoint slides, mostly with a headline, 1-2 sentences of commentary, then usually 1-3 data points (graphs, charts or small tables). They’re all in ppt format, no images of charts or anything (which, yeah I wouldn’t expect it to understand). I work in marketing, if that helps - these aren’t detailed technical slides.

This is using Copilot for Office, which at least according to the materials they gave us, was designed for these sorts of tasks. “Summarise the content of my unread emails”, “create 5 PowerPoint slides based on this report, make it look casual” kinda stuff.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Ah, Ok, cool. Sorry to be harsh. To be honest I have no idea how good Copilot is for anything really. I also have no idea if it can actually read a powerpoint file in a meaningful way. I know that MS has been shoehorning AI into everything lately with very mixed and disappointing results. For something like that you might want to try and extract them as images and feed them into GPT4 directly or Claude 3 which for a few messages is free.

All good, it was a semi-vague shitpost anyway :v:

We do use specific AI tools in related circumstances, like “here is 10,000 customer feedback comments, divide them into positive/negative/neutral groups and identify the main themes”, and it’ll give fairly decent results.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OP your posts are the only thing in the world worse than AI-generated garbage.

AI at least has an excuse for being lovely and worthless. You could self-improve but you never do.

Bit weird to refer to yourself in third person but I’ll allow it

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

There are literally hundreds (probably thousands) of YouTube videos promising you will get rich by flooding Amazon with lovely AI-generated stories and picture books for kids.

Considering the barrier to entry is basically zero, you only have to sell a handful of copies to suckers (or people not paying attention) and you’ll make a bit of money.

https://shatterzone.substack.com/p/ai-is-coming-for-your-children

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

toggle posted:

Anyone use the new meta ai bullshit in instagram search? It’s very cool and relevant for an image sharing app

It’s going well on Facebook

https://twitter.com/korolova/status/1780450925028548821

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

well there's your problem what kind of hosed up paperclip have you been making out of aluminum

AI generated ones, clearly

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Australia just the other week when a guy killed several people at a shopping mall we had a news network identify a completely innocent guy as the killer and broadcast his name and photo nationwide: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-26/man-wrongly-identified-bondi-junction-attacker-seven-settles/103772376

He sued the gently caress out of them and they immediately settled out of court for a undisclosed sum, but it would have been an astronomical amount of money

Note that their “source” for this story was a well known pro-Russian Twitter troll who was intentionally spreading antisemitic propaganda.

A more relevant Australian AI story was a couple of months back, when a different national news network let Photoshop’s AI retouching tool tweak an image of a female politician for a news story. The tool helpfully gave her larger breasts and turned her dress into a midriff top: https://amp.abc.net.au/article/103403664

THE FUTURE

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Nightmare blunt rotation

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Anyone interested in laughing at AI (and that should be everyone) should check out the reviews of the latest ~AI GADGETS~, the Humane AI Pin and the Rabbit R1. Absolute comedy gold - one reviewer called the Humane Pin the worst product he’s ever reviewed

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People are bigly mad about it as well, such as this dipshit who pulled out the "OH YEAH, WELL SO ARE YOU!" schoolyard comeback

https://twitter.com/GrahamFleming_/status/1785149653056467304

Rabbit, please show me an example of a false equivalency

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

A lot of the poo poo around AI among techbros is pretty cult-like already, especially when you read some of the ridiculous poo poo people like Mark Andreessen have published.

Basically saying that the world will be hugely disrupted by a future vaguely-defined event, and the only way you can avoid suffering from this is by joining our group, investing all of your money, and ceding all control of your life to the cult leader (in this case, AI). If you don’t join us, you’re doomed. So it’s Scientology, essentially.

There’s a pretty good Behind the Bastards podcast episode from earlier this year about this stuff, and honestly it’s hard to argue against.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

A Segway tried to kill George W Bush so they’re good imo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

replacing "god" with "AI".

Didn’t know Marc Andreessen was a goon

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't know what this is supposed to mean, I don't keep track of the beliefs of every mildly notable person in tech.

He’s the guy who created Netscape, and for nearly 20 years he’s been probably the most influential venture capital investor in silicon valley.

He also writes ultra cringe 5000-word blog posts like these:
https://a16z.com/ai-will-save-the-world/

https://a16z.com/the-techno-optimist-manifesto/

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I’ve posted about it before, but Microsoft’s built-in AI for Office is hilariously poo poo. I asked it to summarise my unread Teams chats from yesterday, and it couldn’t find anything because it insisted that May 15 2024 was a Monday.

After accepting the correction and showing me read messages from last week, I finally got the right prompt - it then summarised the chat as “persons x and y discussed a project”. Good stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

The terminators would be very easy to spot since Skynet keeps building them with too many fingers and with a gross layer of grease over their whole body

They would blend in pretty seamlessly at GoonCon tho