Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it doesnt help me do my job unfortunaeltly which is already very easy but people who say it does - i hav eto assume their job is at immediate risk, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Worf posted:

I think MDs will be among the first to get replaced by AI

Idk how many years of car mechanics we have left either, that seems like another easy one to replace.

yup. can;t remember teh last time i was at the mechanic. it's basically all on GPT-4 now

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

people that think that ai is gonna replace hella jobs - remember that most large corporations have an enormously bloated middle management/bureaucracy layer that is staffed almost exclusively by fake job havers which doesnt even need ai to displace them, and yet they are still employed

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hammerite posted:

some LLMs have a tendency to produce responses starting with "certainly!"

for example I came up with a query off the top of my head just now: "sql server delete from one table via join" and this is what Bing spits out in its little AI sidebar:

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Worf posted:

When's the last time you've been in a hospital in America lmao

I absolutely think that the cognitive functions required to diagnose something are going to be replaced by a low paid employee plugging something into a computer

And then in the case of vehicles etc where you can just have a scan of where every component is with minimal variation, I think that will be probably one of the easier ones to replace wholesale eventually

lol you've understood what mechanics do and how automobiles work perfectly

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

kntfkr posted:

Sorry, as an open language model I don't have a tongue and cannot lick your toes.

welcome back :shobon:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

pixaal posted:

It will become a tool like a computer, a workforce multiplier.

i can think of a few ways to implement "ai" in my job but they are basically this. a tool that makes my job easier. if i worked for a bigger company they might be the type of tools that reduce an engineering dept from 10 to 7 or 8 or something. but they're not really "ai", its just machine learning, the type that removes the chaff busywork of engineering that requires a minimum of intelligent or creative thought. ie drafting, stress analysis + design optimization, motion and spacial problem solving, etc.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Rad-daddio posted:

ah, got it! I've seen that in some of my responses too

The only time I really leaned on AI was to get Arduino code to make a stepper motor turn on and off randomly. It worked great for that, but I don't think swaths of embedded systems programmers are going to be out of work from it.

yeah ive hosed around to get it to make some programs for me. cause im not a programmer, but i have a rudimentary understanding due to classes in college. i dont want to learn pearl or relearn VBA to make some tools for work so i just tell gpt4 to poo poo out some code, and that + some googling and bam i have some workable apps. but yeah it takes quite a bit of massaging even for the simplest poo poo, i can't imagine using this for huge projects

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

imo ai will replace workers like forklifts have replaced workers. by concentrating the work of several people into one. but this is the same story with all industrialization. remember when the hotness was to be afraid of "automation"? it's a real fear becuase it will reduce the amount of humans required to do the same work and the gov't isn';t going to intervene to help displaced workers until its so bad that UBI is mandatory, but honestly "AI" is a boogeyman the same way robots were, the same way computers were, the same way machines were in the 19th c.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

The boogyman was pretty real for those heroin & poverty rust belt areas that every western country still has to this day

that wasn't due to automation. that was due to the magic of Free Trade baby

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Worf posted:

The AI is going to look at my post history, and refuse to be my friend 😞

sa posters dont need ai, as they have a whole forum worth of friends :)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ah the medical understander has logged back on

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

And yet your username is the origin of the word "algorithm"

curious!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Blitter posted:

Thanks for telling me you have no loving clue about AI, without actually saying it. :thumbsup:

that's basically been the whole thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I wish artists would grow the gently caress up and learn nobody gives a poo poo about them and whatever meaning they are trying to convey with their art. I'm sorry you got tricked into thinking your product is anything more than something interesting to consume. Lol.

this guy loves ai art

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BoldFace posted:

Looking at my Rothko calendar, but there are no text or numbers, just smudges.

maybe you'd prefer a Marvel Cinematic Universe calendar instead?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

loving philistine

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cumpantry posted:

need to be very clear if you have not physically stood in front of a rothko you have legitimately no idea what you're speaking about. you might not realize it but there's a difference between a thumbnail of google images and the monoliths he painted, full scale

saw his poo poo at the national gallery. i don';t agree w you

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

its def better than ai art tho lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cumpantry posted:

:shepface: very well.

i want to clarify that i dont think hes a hack or w/e (tho his poo poo isnt worth the 1.8 m the national gallery paid for his one piece), but that you can absolutely get the impression of what his art is by looking at a pic on a computer

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

I printed out the big green one using rasterbate on 50 pieces of paper in grey scale and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the margins but I think it was a good approximation and it stunk

lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol cumpantry is gonna have an aneurysm itt

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Making a song about this bitch rear end stupid bitch dumb loving post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mad?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol how easy it was to get this. people that think true ai is close are fuckign rubes

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OP your posts are the only thing in the world worse than AI-generated garbage.

AI at least has an excuse for being lovely and worthless. You could self-improve but you never do.

i don't think he's read tjis thread for over a month

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Negostrike posted:

The photo was supposed to be in São Paulo, apparently Paulista Avenue which is one of the most iconic places in that city, because lots of people there are going to Rio and Madonna's show in Copacabana is free of charge. Therefore I don't think there's many pics of photo partying in that specific place to be fair.

Also I like how unhinged people look when smiling in AI pics.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thats the album cover to lil yachtys "lets start here" lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I watched a video that reasoned if 10% of all electricity use on Earth goes to running the internet, and 50% of the internet is spam bots, then 5% of all electricity use goes to bot junk. And AI's going to up that dramatically.

So dead internet theory is just a little early! It's going to end up being mostly AI screaming ads at each other and we'll be reserving a significant portion of Earth's resources for that purpose! :capitalism:

that number sounds high, but i dunno, maybe. when i worked for a company that designed and built grinding mills (like a front loading dryer that tumbles rock and ball bearings), i was told an interesting stat: somewhere between 2-5% of the worlds total energy consumption (not just electricity, but total energy, including burning fossil fuels) is used in mining new rock. around half of that is used in just one process at the mine: grinding or comminution in the mills. So something like 1-2.5% of the worlds total energy consumption went strictly to grinding rock. this was a lesson in why incremental improvements in grinding efficiency yielded huge returns

not hard to imagine when you see a mill like this:

and know its filled with hundreds of tons of 3-6" ball bearings and huge chunks of rock

anyway. just reminded of that with that claim of the internet using 10% of the worlds electricity (again, not doubting that necessarily)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol. yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wearing a lampshade posted:

you know some dirtbag tech bro is jerking off to that exact question

:whitewater: