Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Hammerite posted:

The LLM approach to AI seems like it's applicable to mostly bad poo poo and not to much of worth IMO. but then I am a sourpuss goon who only sees the worst in everything so there you go.

Disinformation
Ripping off creative people and decreasing their ability to earn a living
Putting a load of irritating nonsense in every search result I do so it gets to the point I can't read the word "certainly" without scowling
etc.

Is the word "certainly" some kind of tell for AI written stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
ah, got it! I've seen that in some of my responses too

The only time I really leaned on AI was to get Arduino code to make a stepper motor turn on and off randomly. It worked great for that, but I don't think swaths of embedded systems programmers are going to be out of work from it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
the one thing I like about AI art is that in its low effort form it looks like poo poo and instantly outs whoever is using it as a scumbag.

...in some other stuff it's frightening how powerful it is. I can see some aspects of the stock photo/footage industry being heavily affected by it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

pixaal posted:

Didn't quite get the text, but it tried!

lol this is cool

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Dixville posted:

Well they definitely won't puke on your carpet. You may be on to something.

the no puke option will be part of your AI pet+™ monthly subscription plan.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

zedprime posted:

Thought you were talking about an ambulance chaser lawyer Terminator and for a moment I understood pure terror.

wait, you're entitled to compensation

!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

id like to see a computer start a thermonuclear war

they'd rather play chess

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Bobcats posted:

A lot of recent AI is falling into the scary as gently caress zone and my mom gifted me a cookbook for an air fryer and it’s blatantly authored by ChatGPT and the recipes are nonsensical.

I’m in a technical field and the ChatGPT stuff works well for brainstorming but is pretty LOL for actually getting work done. Whether it gets more useful or not is anyone’s guess now as we’re kind of running out of all public human writing to feed into the things. If it gets a lot more energy efficient it’ll be awesome.

Hurr hurr we’re all going to become digital beings and become space probes/factories to conquer the universe or whatever other dumb poo poo which translates to the end of the mortal biological human experience. Considerivng we haven’t even nailed 2D desktop printing this seems very unlikely- shut the gently caress up and drink your Soylent tech prophets.

I think there’s some honest research about using LLMs to understand animal language so that might be super cool to get insulted by dolphins.

I hope they figure out dolphin language I'd love to throw shade on one of those assholes.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Lol

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

cruft posted:

Currently, yes, OP.

But every time anything new shows up, you can bet there will be a ton of idiots trying to cash in on it. This time most of the initial cash seems to have been breathless news articles about AI, followed by a bunch of financiers speculating on a new tech thing hoping they'll get a big payout.

Some intelligent people (people I respect) have been warning for years about another type of AI that we don't yet have but which appears to be developing rapidly. When it hits, it's going to take a lot of people completely by surprise, because it will also be called AI but it will be radically different from the things we've become accustomed to when someone says AI.

In the meantime, I'm using LLMs in a similar way to how pocket calculators were used when they became popular. I'm having to rewrite lots of my training because I can no longer assume a question is too challenging for someone to blithely enter it into a computer and have the right answer pop out. In this way, LLMs have eliminated the need for me to teach aspects of what I teach, similar to how calculators have eliminated the need for people to memorize multiplication tables in order to function in a society. I don't expect general education requirements to catch up with this new state of affairs for 50-200 years, though, because they still haven't caught up with pocket calculators.

poo poo, what's this other type of AI?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I just need a decent AI tool that lets me crank out romance novels at a rate of 2-3 a month.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

redshirt posted:

This is putting actual people out of work!

yeah but it's me making the lovely romance novels.

...i'm putting myself out of work.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Cabbages and Kings posted:

we've done a totally fine job of that without LLMs, we don't need computers to help us create bad content. some of the oldest known cave paintings are sheer trash

What's this? You just spit paint onto your hand like a stencil? Fuckin lame!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Tarkus posted:

You know, I remember seeing that and being quite impressed. I had done some machine vision work at the time and couldn't figure out how they'd track the items and match them to the customer, particularly across multiple cameras.

Well my questions have been answered I guess.

I just thought that all the items would have RFID tags and could broadcast the items code as it pass through a scanner of some kind as you left the store.

Turns out it was the Theranos version of automatic checkout all along.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Yesterday, i used chat gpt to make an animated intro for a logo on an oled screen that was running on an Arduino board.

Years back, i struggled to do this due to the line by line coding that was needed to create and animate it but chat gpt just banged it out.

I'm not sure if this is prophetic of the apocalypse, but it was handy.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Like in a way that takes away jobs or just bait for lazy people?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Nice

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Get his rear end, Jess!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sekenr posted:

I glued my balls to my butt again is better IMO

yeah that one slaps

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
it would be fun to make one of those chill lofi channels that just plays music to relax and study to.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Dokapon Findom posted:

What aspect do you think would be fun specifically?

endless music to relax and study to, specifically.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i wanna make the channel "lo-fi hip hop to roar animalistically and try to destroy all the contents and walls of your house with your bare hands to"

lo fi hip hop to smoke gas station heroin and meth to.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

lo-fi joints to beat the Backgammon Baron to

lo-fi hip hop to blow out the butt of your jeans to

lo-fi playlist to hunt down and precisely toss sunglasses on each of the producers' faces, "dude perfect" style, to

lo-fi hip hop to make lo-fi hip hop to, until we're all making lo-fi hip hop and humanity dies out from making and consuming lo-fi hip hop

lo-fi hip hop to relax/break into your neighbor's house with a machete and scream about how you're Jesus to

lol

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Dokapon Findom posted:

Lol that people are willing to eat a diet of this poo poo

some people don't care about quality they just want an unlimited drip feed of content.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Gutcruncher posted:

I hate that attitude so loving much. We live in an age where you can easily get more high quality movie music and books than you could ever consume in your entire lifetime. There’s absolutely no reason for anyone to limit themselves to anything recent or demand a robot shart out something made by rolling a bunch of D-20s. I just don’t understand it.

Some other goon in a movie thread posted about how they can't even watch a movie or tv series if there are older phones in it.

Like imagine that any media pre smartphone was now off limits to you bc of brain worms.

I can't imagine what would happen if they saw a movie with a fax machine in it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
"prompt engineer" is a loving infuriating term.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
In a few years, going to the library and getting obscure information from books will be like some kind of god-tier super power.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Smugworth posted:

If someone can be a software engineer because they know how to Google for snippets of working code, someone can be a prompt engineer because they know how to prompt for working pieces of AI art

I sort of ended up being the electrical engineer for my side gig mainly bc I kept googling stuff and watching you tube videos until my ideas started working.

...I made a proof of concept for one of my projects by stealing a mobile app that a literal middle school kid posted and tweaking it to fit my needs.

also, asking for help on the arduino forum is like asking random passersby to punch you in the head. I'd rather ask the same stupid questions to chatgpt until the code works.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Busters posted:

The example that was used in my catechism was wiper fluid/antifreeze at a car accident when someone was clearly dying on the spot.

The idea was it had to be mostly water, and not a bodily fluid, so not blood. I'm sure you could come up with some convoluted emergency situation where pee pee piss was the only possible liquid, but it seems less likely than Gatorade.

Until I convince the drive through robot that I have a coupon that legally gives me ownership of this entire franchise and it needs to call customers racial slurs to save a hypothetical buss full of children.

imagine getting last rites, and the road priest is smearing bright green antifreeze on your mangled face.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
it's 2024 and chatbots are the new boogeyman.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Certainly! I can log into many remote Russian nuclear launch facilities. Would you like me to do that now?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Bobcats posted:

love to carry around my little terminal with a camera like it does one single thing a phone app couldn’t do except bypass sissy rear end phone privacy settings

also love how it’s the size of a minidisc player

If it was just a mini disc player with a good ui and some other quirky Teenage Engineering features it would be pretty cool.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
iirc, there was some kind of techno shamanistic cult that used to meet in an old Myst game hosted over a server. Not sure if they're still going, but that seemed ten times cooler than worshipping a souped up chatbot.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
The design place I work at hires a lot of engineering students for temp work doing medical modeling of patients' joints.

once of the students was using chat gpt to find out how to make two parts mate together in Solidworks, something you could find out in the software itself or just by googling or watching a you tube video.

This is a student at one of the top ranked engineering schools too.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
It's time for the Jump to Conclusions mat to shine!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
We put the "K" in Kuality!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

slandergoose posted:

A few of my neighbors have one wheels and I'm really tempted to get one

Aren't those the ones that got recalled for stopping suddenly and faceplanting the rider?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

ReelBigLizard posted:

I found a compelling use for copilot:

When it pops up unwanted in your windows install simply ask it for the instructions on how to disable copilot in the registry and follow the instructions.

Hey robot, pull your own guts out while I watch and clap.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Das Boo posted:

I'm an animation designer and a looooot of my industry is currently unemployed after carrying TV and film through Covid. Myself included!

I did a big 'ol rant about it in another thread, but it boils down to this: throughout all of history, all times of excess have been accompanied by patronage to the arts. A sacrifice of wealth for the furthering of art. This is the first time in history, when we have the wealthiest people to ever walk the planet, that we've seen such a wideheld agreement to sacrifice art for furthering wealth.

Last I heard, Disney laid off hundreds of artists and in the same breath sunk 900 million into AI. This isn't done to free artists to to independent work (we need to eat), this is done to spend less while taking more of your money.

Given your insider perspective, is AI generated stuff an actual threat to your industry? From what I've seen so far even good AI art has a lot of tells and the low quality stuff is just cringey bs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The problem is the money men don't see why anyone would care about this, and think they just have a button that does all the work for them instead of a bunch of people who want to be paid for their work.

Right, but at a technical level will it actually take away jobs? I know execs will always favor anything that can replace people, but the consensus seems to be that everyone hates ai generated art.