Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Internet Old One posted:

I'm really failing to think out of the box here.
I'm more concerned about what will happen when people start training AI on the perfect series of color, shapes, and sounds to keep a hyperactive toddler entertained and quiet for hours.

Wasn't that the big threat in Infinite Jest? A video that's so pleasant all the viewer wants to do is watch it until they die of starvation? Someone get working on that.

Internet Old One posted:

Let me try harder: The philosophical concept of free will X the color blue as a series of erotic haikus recited by Blippy. We gotta wait until a generation of people raised on 5 hour AI generated Youtube videos comes of age. If we think "Totally Spies" did a number on our generation we haven't seen nothin yet.

... I don't want to look this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Dunno if it's been posted yet, but worth repeating:

https://www.wheresyoured.at/bubble-trouble/

LLM-style AI is already at it's peak usefulness. All the information has been consumed, and the output is already getting worse.

Everything from here is based on vague promises of 'synthetic data' and computing breakthroughs that will not exist.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

quote:

AI company: we trained this dog to talk. It doesn’t actually understand language, but it kinda sounds like it’s having a conversation by mimicking the sound of human speech.

CEO: awesome, I’ve fired my entire staff, how quickly can it start diagnosing medical disorders

https://bsky.app/profile/sweavart.bsky.social/post/3kp65lpgfwj2n

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

He's a tech writer. I've read a bunch of his stuff, he makes good points but he comes in hot with way too much personal vitriol aimed at people whose life's work he doesn't really know much about.

Curious which article of his you're referring to, because yeah, he can get mean.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a goon.