Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its generating pentabytes of trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I do lots of writing for work but feel pretty safe. Most of the work involves site specific contextual analysis of planning legislation. An LLM could likely summarize urban planning laws, but applying them to a specific site in a way that creates value for a specific client is not something it can do right now.

Legislative environments arent as neat and tidy as people would like to think they are either. There are overlaps, inconsistencies, internal policy positions, errors, supplementary material , dated neighbouthood plans, etc.

It also cant read architectural plans, apply relevant legislation, and find efficiencies in line with a client brief. This is even more true for non architect clients who will say vague poo poo like "I want the entrance to look modern".

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

gently caress that

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

zedprime posted:

This is a good example for a pet peeve of mine when we say a LLM isn't creative or can't apply anything to truly new situations. These statements are not not right but have an imprecision in language I kind of hate.

It is well within the purview of a model to design a good way to ingest related unstructured data. It's kind of the whole point of the technology to take data of wildly different format and apply it to each other. It'll take a little more effort than asking ChatGPT to write you a book report on Atlas Shrugged because you'll need to feed it the relevant data to get a relevant result but you can do it.

The results are only ever based on the data. Which seems like an obvious thing to say but is an important point and what I think people trying to to say AI isn't creative is trying to get to. Much of the prestige cost of lawyers or engineers or artists is breaking ground on new information. That cost will remain there. Similar to how you can get a will writing service for $400 but if you want to structure a divestment of assets of several small businesses and interstate real estate when you die you're getting a probate lawyer for $4 million. In the future you can maybe get a probate AI for $400,000 but is it going to find the same loopholes as the prestige firm? No but maybe you don't need it to.

Thanks for this, honestly food for thought.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Dr. Quarex posted:

I only believe the current crop of AI is going to change the world because our standards are becoming irrelevant. The Turing Test was not a sufficient test for AI given how many people can be fooled by our current models, and our collective threshold for what looks or reads good enough to pass muster was probably already dropping and is only getting dramatically worse; people posting in this thread might find AI-generated images laughably bad but like, possibly the majority do not even notice they are AI-generated, especially if kept to a reasonable subject. And most people are not literate enough to appreciate what good writing even looks like.

"Ive used an AI to condense Gravitys Rainbow into a concise novella and remove esoteric jargon. The book is now 90 pages and reads like a YA sci-fi novel. In many ways, this is a better product. Furthermore..."

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

AlmightyBob posted:

you joke but I've seen way too many people say only stuff that furthers the plot should be in a book lol

https://twitter.com/soncharm/status/1725283749468807410

I lump these sorts of folks in the same bin as the ones who claim "I could paint that" looking at a Rothko or say:

"Wow its so small and probs costs $400" when presented with a photo of an amuse bouche from NOMA or Alinea.

Just zero understanding of anything creative beyond its immediate utility to their specific, pedestrian desires.

Honorary mention for people who misunderstand fashion runway shows. (Ive always LOL'd at Fashion S.W.A.T. though).

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 20, 2024

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Oh its 100% satire. However, there are people who have indeed pushed the idea of NFTs as art. There is vested interest in pushing AI "art" as legitimate.

I remember the Slurp Juice Ape guy saying "you cant deny the art is awesome" or something.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

kntfkr posted:

Rothko sucks!!!

Going to an art gallery with a Red Sox cap and Dropkick Murphys shirt and smoking Parliament Lights and pulling out a pocket constitution when they ask you incredibly gently to please calm down.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its because Boston guys suck on cigs so hard the filter flies out and creates a choking hazard.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

I like abstract art but I went to a big Rothko exhibit a few days ago and I was only like 40% feelin' it, to be honest. I'm more of Mondrian boy, the thing you have to realize is that he was working before MSPaint was invented.

It really is something to go to an art museum and see some abstract piece, think "this looks pretty modern, an aesthetic I'd associate with 1980-2000 time period", and then look at the date and see it's from 1912 or something. I tried to imagine what it would be like to view this kind of art when it debuted, and be one of the first people to see an aesthetic that was entirely unlike anything anyone had seen before. It would be like being one of the first people to, say, eat an orange. When you think about it in those terms it's pretty easy to understand why this kind of art was so influential. What's the 2024 version of that?

lol

Ugh (the wonky eye anime e-girl, not your takes on art, which are great).

Jealous that you got to go to a Rothko exhibit. I used him as an example specifically because I love his work and philosophy but also because hes sort of a classic target of the "my kid could do that" crowd..

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Astrochicken posted:

The best ai adjacent anything is the nexpo video on ai art. That man is a treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9InAbpM7mU

you mean this really spooky one about the woman who keeps appearing in AI art?

"She inputs the last name of the actor Marlon Brando, a prompt that will surely push the limits of the A.I." - this line made me LOL.

imho this sort of thing undeniably well done and is entertaining and spooky but only contributes to the illusion that AI image generation tools are "thinking" and you've got people in the comments who've now anthropomorphized a (crappy) image of a woman into a real life AI bogeyman. He's really pushing the narrative that there is this "one specific face" that the AI keeps generating but the images, whilst sometimes similar, are pretty wildly different.

He describes his own slideshow as "Anomalies" but shows himself typing "REALLY SPOOKY PICTURES" into stable diffusion.

Its very good modern horror, though.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

vudan posted:

Rothko is such wank. You too can in fact make evocative squares to sit in a corporate foyer.

Mondrian was the square guy. Rothko never painted a "square".

He built a public chapel in Houston full of his art meant to be a meditative and welcoming space for all religions. But yes. "Squares".

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

vudan posted:

Looks like a bunch of fuzzy squares to me. But I did not know that about the public chapel that's kind of neat I suppose.

And Moby Dick is a book about a whale.

Do yourself a favour and see some of his works in person. Typing "Rothko" into GIS gives you an idea of what his paintings look like, but doesnt really convey the feeling of them.

I know this seems wanky but its sort of his whole thing. He set out to paint emotions, with the purpose of creating a greater understanding and empathy between people. Its incredibly ambitious but he succeeded , despite his paintings not assuming recognizable forms.

And it wasnt by mistake. He employed innovative techniques to modify the properties of his paints and create finely layered textures and depth. This is why people describe his paintings as seeming alive. He didnt just apply a single color to a canvas and be done with it. None of this will come through on a phone screen or monitor.

Hes also a tragic figure because he was depressed, and took his own life. Someone who was so dedicated to deepening our understanding of each other and was at the same time so disturbed and distressed. He couldnt make himself better but still tried to do for others.

If thats not moving on some level, well, then I dont really know what to say.

Finally, I get that the aesthetic has been co-opted by corporate spaces for being relatively inoffensive. Corporate offices also have Banksy prints or those horrible graffiti monkey wearing a crown "street art" paintings.

This isnt the fault of the artist and divorces the work from its context and intention. Not to get all Marxist, but capital subsuming art is nothing new. This shouldnt be a criticism of the artist.

Personally, i love the aesthetic for its simplicity, depth, and richness. I understand that its not for everyone and thats fine.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I actually love Lisa Frank and wanted to get a full trapper keeper arm sleeve at one point Lol.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Rule 42 of a trailer park Deanna Troi doing a feeder/mukbang stream next to a duct taped and rusty replicator surrounded by empty chocolate sundae dishes.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Big tiddy chicks with guns calendar

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Nor with Green and Tangerine on Red, it is legit beautiful one-on-one in a well-curated space. It's also very easy to see how someone could be in its presence and not become an instant convert to the transformative power of Art, and notable that nobody gets like this about any of the thousands of contemporary living artists working in the same techniques and ideas, producing near-identical paintings for 60 years. Cause it's not really about the painting at all, is it?

I mentioned Rothko because hes an almost universally recogized painter and a good jumping off point for a discussion around folks who devalue art, music, fashion, food, etc.

People 100% "get like that" about other artists. Patricia Picaninni's "Curious Affection" got my mai waife and I right in the feels when we saw it last year.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

when exactly did the Rothko chapel become the Infinite Jest of guys who wanna be perceived as aesthetes, do you think?

Wtf does this mean lol?

Its not about wanting to be "viewed as an asthete" or whatever on the something awful dot com forums.

If I had said Willem de Kooning, Joan Mitchell, or mentioned Pewabic Pottery, less people are likely to pick up on the gist of the argument, which also holds true for their works.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

naem posted:

the fine art industry is mostly a form of money laundering

Looks like someone here has watched the movie TENET

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

There are probably 30-40 art galleries within an hours driving distance of my place with hundreds of works of original art priced from $300-10,000.

The stuff on the higher end is clearly a massive splurge for most people, but its hardly money laundering territory.

Most cities have local art scenes and collectors, the vast majority of whom arent using it for laundering money.

Im sure at the very top, the ultra wealthy are using it as a way to preserve and transfer wealth but thats a small minority of people.

I just think the money laundering thing is a largely cynical take.

https://www.theonion.com/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-of-telling-people-john-1819578998

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Prolonged Panorama posted:

It's possible to acknowledge that a system is broken or bad and to also be against things that will make it worse!

Yes yes yes, we know that there is an inextinguishable fire at the tar pits thats making everyone within a few 100 metres cough blood. But let me remind you, these are the nasty-rear end tar pits that nobody liked in the first place! How many of you have lost livestock to those very pits? So, I say warm yourself by the eternal fire!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

syntaxfunction posted:

I encourage everyone to try a conversation with chatGPT about a deeper aspect of a subject you are very knowledgeable about, because you probably aren't coming out out of it impressed, and tbh that says a lot to me.

Anything technical in my field and it literally tells me to engage a professional consultant lol

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Cabal Ties posted:

How filthy is your imagination?

Just let the avatar speak for itself

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...ny-claimed.html

Companies are so keen to appear to be implementing new uses for "AI" that they are literally faking it.

Coulda just used a midget in a backpack and paid them a fair wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Kermit the frog huge boobs masterpiece realistic areolas