Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Al does indeed look like a bit of an overblown mess, I must say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Failson posted:

Dunno if it's been posted yet, but worth repeating:

https://www.wheresyoured.at/bubble-trouble/

LLM-style AI is already at it's peak usefulness. All the information has been consumed, and the output is already getting worse.

Everything from here is based on vague promises of 'synthetic data' and computing breakthroughs that will not exist.

Just fyi that blog post was generated by google gemini

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OP your posts are the only thing in the world worse than AI-generated garbage.

AI at least has an excuse for being lovely and worthless. You could self-improve but you never do.

How flattering to be compared to cutting-edge technology! Though, I suppose even A.I. needs inspiration from human creativity sometimes.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Strategic Tea posted:

Jfc, I was always uneasy about these trial by extremely emotive documentary things, but at least trusted they were probably responsibly researched by actual journalists

Like it's not just true crime trash, they churn these out on actual geopolitics

I've honestly never been totally comfortable with the entire concept of documentaries in general and I hate that we've kind of all just accepted "specific argument" docs and "pure emotional manipulation" docs (lots of overlap there) as legit subgenres (even when made by amateurs!) without controversy.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Netflix's latest true crime documentary used fake AI-generated photos of the killer to show what a funloving person she was: https://futurism.com/the-byte/netflix-what-jennifer-did-true-crime-ai-photos

I have to believe these folks would know better than to photoshop such pictures from scratch, why the hell would they think it'd be any different to do it with AI?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Tarkus posted:

However, once you understand the limitations they can become very useful. I use them almost every day with the knowledge that they are very flawed and I work around that.

I'm concerned that I'm going through a stunningly continuous and perpetual failure of imagination in that I can never think of anything to do with A.I. I feel like I'm turning into a version of my parents, who never seem to fully understand that they can just google things now.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Waffles Inc. posted:

It’s never huge huge things but it does obnoxious busy work just slightly faster than we do—dump unstructured data into an AI tool and just have it structure it for you to save some time

Um this essentially describes my entire career should I be worried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I remember pre-release Segway hype all the way back to 2000 or so. It never quite became a thing, but god bless 'em, they tried!