Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

McSpanky posted:

Nerd Jesus Kyle Hill thinks AI is going to turn the Internet into a dumb idea from a mediocre scifi novel.

we've done a totally fine job of that without LLMs, we don't need computers to help us create bad content. some of the oldest known cave paintings are sheer trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
how much would it cost to make GoonLLM trained only on the contents of these forums

and will jeffy make an archives dump available to make this easier

edit: it would be very funny to ask political questions and get a total mismash of GBS,. D&D and CSPam in the mix. "The [political event] was pretty lol so many photoshops were made, but many felt that the policies enacted, while laudable, fell short of the stated goal of improving the lives of disenfrachished voters. Death to America, toxxxx for not voting Biden".

zedprime posted:

God my home renovation would be so much simpler if this is how paint worked.

My wife works in architecture and is no stranger to these tools and has been talking about some of the newer iterations of them, but, also, the tech breakthrough that's made a lot of that kinda stuff easier is the ability to walk around a space with a tablet and come out of it with a basically accurate CAD-importable model of the whole interior and exterior space. AI will have its place in stuff like hypothetical different elevations based on small changes, maybe, but CAD already does a fine job at that poo poo.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 21, 2024

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Internet Old One posted:

I'm more concerned about what will happen when people start training AI on the perfect series of color, shapes, and sounds to keep a hyperactive toddler entertained and quiet for hours.

I think we're going to see weird stuff that might be sort of disturbing and disjointed in the way a lot of the generative content I've seen is, but also Cocomelon already exists. The check against this poo poo is reasonable parental oversight.
I doubt if the generative content will hit some magical optimum because at that age it's parents putting things in front of kids, and I think there's already a big spectrum of content that meets the low bar of "lots of small children will watch this endlessly, given the choice".

Speaking of disjointed and offputting, a friend sent me a playlist of stuff he'd stumbled across he thinks is AI. This one is part of a set that's on Spotify and Apple and Youtube with not much information about who made it or why; it does sound to me like it could be the result of RiffDiffusion or some of the other stuff out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ73zUk3NAw

I don't find this interesting enough to listen to, and I also don't find it calm or relaxing in a way that lets me tolerate new agey slow-chord based music as background filler.

If someone gets good enough at using the tools and models that they can produce subjectively interesting music, I won't object to listening to it, but at that point there's probably been at least as much human interaction in the process as is required to create new agey slow chord progression based ambient filler music.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 10, 2024