Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

To understand a concept you must first define the terms so that everyone is working off of the same meanings

In this case there are a number of definitions, but I think we can ignore some of them, because I don’t think we’re talking about for example “an intermediate layer in the wall of a blood vessel or lymphatic vessel” (op please clarify if this is in fact what we’re talking about and I will edit my post)

So media is a plural noun which means “the material or form used by an artist, composer, or writer.”

So, what it means to be literate in a given media requires different skills. For example, literacy in spoken media requires different things (i.e., ears) than visual media (i.e., eyes) than written media (i.e., book learning)

I’d like to explore this topic but it’s currently too broad

Op please clarify and narrow the scope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

shannon and weaver is a classic

Shannon had all the talent. It’s why weaver’s solo career fizzled after like one album

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

shannon and weaver is a classic

I-I I-i-I’m weaver. I believe med lit gets me through the ni-ight

I-I I-I-I’m weaver. Shannon knows the sources are alright

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

I AM THE MEDIA

You are the intervening substances through which impressions are conveyed to the senses or forces act on objects at a distance?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

gauntanamo bae posted:

indistinguishable from chatgpt

Chatgpt responds to inputs

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Serious post but I honestly feel like there is only one principle of media literacy that really matters and that’s when if you’re reading something that actually feels completely unbiased is when you should be most on the lookout for bias, because being unbiased is impossible, and if something reads or sounds that way, that means it’s probably just speaking directly to your biases

Thank you, I will go back to staring at my bellybutton

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

speng31b posted:

ken burns

Ken Burn’s Ukraine would have classical music playing as the screen slow scrolls Google maps across the Donetsk while garrison Keillor reads BM’s d&d posts

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Megamissen posted:

any food with bones still in or shell still on make me feel weird, too much of a reminder that its an animal and also tends to be too messy to eat

I’ve never had more discomfort around food than watching my grandmother break open chicken bones and suck the marrow

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Al! posted:

can i please have just one thread without people threatening to kill the mods

Why do you hate fun, Al!?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Jose posted:

I'm going to cut your nuts off so you can post in that thread

You can post in that thread either way. As far as I can tell they don’t have an audit process

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Forget media literacy, this thread is now about literacy media

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SxuNSAtmxk

After you watch we can discuss, especially lurkers who I have to assume would post if they could

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

the United States was and still is a democracy even during the periods of its history where it still had legal slavery and women lacked the vote

Definitionally they weren’t people so it was perfectly accurate

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

the dalai lama sucks

Which incarnation? You have to be more specific

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Are dalais lama like drs who?

Yeah and the next ones gonna be a girl too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it was a weird moment to realize that all that 80s and 90s talking up Tibet as the home of peaceful mysticism, ruled over by the most holy, peaceful mystic of them all was just reheated cold war propaganda

once upon a time conservatives were really worried liberals weren't going to be on-side with their wars, i guess

Yeah it’s fun to point out that before the PRC Tibet was a feudal theocracy - annoys people they don’t like to hear it