Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When a pawn says “I know of an interesting place nearby, would you like me to show you?”, how do I say “yes”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jack Trades posted:

You give a Go! command, dpad up, but sometimes it might not work if you do it too late.

Ah thank you!

Also: are the exclamation points supposed to disappear after I climb the ladder or open the secret passage or whatever?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have WolvesHuntIn right now—I’m like level 8 so he is really making nighttime travel a lot more pleasant. Hopefully I will remember to unburden him before I send him back, because he’s also carrying a lot of crap for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

that all goes straight to storage if you lose a pawn, nothing to worry about

Ah, I thought it went back to you. I guess that’s only equipment?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

goddamn it I bought a new bow and sold my old one and then immediately talked to the elf right outside the armory and saw that he wants a bow and I can’t afford to buy one. maybe one will show up in a chest or off a mob

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

7c Nickel posted:

Switch your pawn to archer to get a new set of starting gear.

!!

great idea

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For the love of god Simon I’m jumping up and down next to this sheer wall and you just told me there’s a chest up there—just Springboard me!

Seriously though is there a way to trigger that? I’ve tried “Go” and “Help me”. He also did it once in Vernwhatever the initial city, and I missed the jump, and he would not do it again. He just did it out of nowhere that time, I was a fair ways away and he was trying to get me up onto a balcony that doesn’t have a chest on it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Might have to pick up Gregor and just run past the harpies with him, I guess!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, Simon, you’ve made your point. Name your price, as long as you start to springboard me in finite time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that xyz guy has some good mods, but I’ll be passing on that one

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if you’re out there, Aramek, your sorc pawn is amazing but I really wanted those griffon parts and your meteor swarm or whatever just reduced it to ash

definitely want to try sorc myself though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

also my pawn is about 1-for-75 launching me when I need it, and has sent me careening off cliffs a half dozen times when I get near him at the wrong time in combat

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

can I launch my pawns up to things? will they do stuff up there like release ladders or collect poo poo and open chests? I could burn a skill slot on that when I do warrior/fighter

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Atoramos posted:

When I talk to her, she just pops out some text and nothing else. Don't you need them to open up a UI to give them items?

No, there’s a button for giving a gift when you’re talking to them. Look in the bottom right of the screen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it took me a long time to figure out that the elven archer guy had managed to get himself killed, before I found him when I was randomly in the morgue and burned one of my two wakestones to get him back up

still not sure how that happened, but whatever

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nuebot posted:

NPCs you do quests for gain a lot of affection for you which leads to them walking to your house a lot. For elf guy this means he has to walk from elf town through ogre infested woods, across bridges and through the goblin covered roads to reach your house.

He was supposed to be waiting for me at a campsite for the trial of archery! I guess there were some wolves around there, though…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

aegof posted:

The jadite orb quest is a tutorial for forgeries, so every turn in quest is a follow up to it I guess.

Wait, it mentions forging? I totally missed that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t think it mentions it outright but you buy the orb from the forger so it’s one of those 1+1=2 situations. EDIT: wait it does mention the forger explicitly, dude makes you go to him to verify it’s not a fake.

Oh yeah, Jadeite Orb, I was confusing it for whatever you buy for Sven in Vernworth. Got it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah I need to do that sculptor quest and I’m pretty curious about the medusa head approach but I have no idea where I would find one and tbqh my efforts to slice off parts of monsters have been hilariously unsuccessful except, for some reason, I dismantle asps basically instantly

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

They should've made it so missing a high five with your pawn gives them dragonsplague or advances it if they already have it

I just stand there staring at them and my Arisen doesn’t return the high five with my pawn, but will get the hired pawns every time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got save-trapped (no wakestone or ferrystone on me, last camping hours back) on a ledge over that canyon running between the Checkpoint Rest Town and the Ancient Battleground. By the time I remembered that I could tackle a pawn, I was at about 30% max health, and by the time I managed it (thanks WolvesHuntIn who sometimes is named Winter) it was more like 20%.

I then immediately ended up somehow in a scripted quest thing with Raghnall. He took off into some woods and for some reason I thought it was time-sensitive, so I headed off to follow him. Made it through the choppers in the forest and found him, but then triggered an event where I was separated from my pawns.

Did I mention that I am running as Trickster right now? Anyway, got through the fight at the end only taking minimal damage, and learned a lot about how to play the vocation I feel. I definitely need to get better at switching to punches, but I chucked dudes all over the place and played keep-away with my clone, and it was a lot of fun.

10/10 game, would use their dangerous save model again.

I sadly think I need to say goodbye to WolvesHuntIn for a little bit because I can't keep up with Warrior aggro yet, and he makes things pretty chaotic especially with bigger enemies I'm trying to aim away from the party.

Question: is raising your pawn's affinity just about romance, or does it unlock other stuff?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RBA Starblade posted:

Bad news! :v:

I just rolled with it, accepting that ol' Beef Supreme has hosed something up once again. He even warned me he was going to do it, loudly telling everyone what all living things' weakness is halfway through lol

But yeah turns out the Wait command wears off and it will do it at the worst time. That's a really fun and good fight though. The Sphinx is so cool

friend me on steam (sbjnctv) so I can experience Beef Supreme!

also, even if you are mod-averse, I highly recommend this mod, which fixed a normal map compression error in the game. I can imagine Capcom issuing an update that fixes this, because it's so dumb and simple and makes everything look so much better:

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/766?tab=description

quote:

This mod does 2 things. It forces the game to always load the highest quality normal maps, while also addressing a compression error on every texture.
This was achieved with a Photoshop script via a series of batch action. Simple, with immediate results.
The best way to verify that the mod is working as intended, is by looking at your character's skin at night, especially near a light source. But this also affects the sharpness and definition of the appearance of everything in the game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volte posted:

The LOD thing is dumb but that doesn't seem likely to be the root cause of the shittiest examples of performance, since GPU hardly seems to make a difference. The fact that it gets super garbagey in the cities regardless of what you're looking at and quickly improves as you leave town doesn't seem like an LOD issue to me, it seems like what everyone was originally saying including the devs themselves: too many NPCs to simulate. I can attest that I upgraded to a 7800X3D with no GPU upgrade and gained like 25fps in the cities.

it’s very much a level of detail issue, but it’s probably as much about the simulation level of detail as it is about the mesh and texture and shader selection

I wonder if they do animation on the CPU, hmm

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You have to animate the hitboxes on the CPU, because it’s connected to the physics sim and game consequences, but you don’t necessarily have to animate blowing tree branches or clothes or particle effects or even the fully-detailed character mesh there because it’s just visual. You can get away with a pretty crude representation and still make the inverse kinematics come together.

I suspect they do a lot of stuff on the CPU that could be done on modern GPUs because it didn’t make sense to do GPU work when the engine was being built (and especially not for consoles then)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

corpses have to because they’re physics objects and can block you (like the griffin in the opening)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Had, it was fixed in 1.6 or so I think.

DD2 saves are super fast, at least.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

These clowns…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trickster is wonderful, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh I’m sure it’s not optimal, but it’s fun.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh man I would watch a DD cartoon with a huge rotating cast of pawns

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking forward to Dragon's Dogma: Mercenaries competitive multiplayer spin-off and Dragon's Dogma: Stories, the turn-based JRPG spin-off, together with Dragon's Dogma Now for the mobile.

Dragon’s Deckma, the roguelite sensation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do you set what the items are that you can use with dpad up/down on the quick menu? It always has like a shorefish for one of them.