Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I really like the game a lot but I’m not surprised it’s getting pummeled in the steam reviews, MTX and terrible performance is recipe for terrible steam reviews.

I don’t blame people, the performance in Jedi Survivor was so bad that I basically stopped playing a good game because it was so so bad.

Yes, the performance is that bad and if it matters to you, you should not get this game right now. Otherwise it’s fantastic and the combat is super fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Yea, I love the game but I’ll never go to bat for microtransactions, I don’t care how worthless they are.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

This argument would hold more water if it wasn't people acting like this wasn't a standard industry practice from multiple developers and not something unique to this game. (And people wouldn't care about it in this game except performance bad so they can try to pretend they care about DLC practices in this game to feel morally justified.)

This is a terrible argument. I’m glad the game is getting raked across the coals in steam reviews and I hope it goes lower especially since publishers actually care about their steam reviews. So I encourage the review bombing even though I love the game.

You have to remember, according to steam themselves, the average card is a GTX1080 and equivalent processor.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Well my game launched at sub-30fps for the vast majority of people and can’t even start a new character, better turn the micro transactions on….

What do you mean we are getting review-bombed?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, this is the genuinely exhausting thing.

People have telephoned game this to "You actually have to pay money to do everything in the game!!!" which is false on every level. The MTX are boring poo poo you get plenty of in-game for free and like one song pack. It's dumb but the definition of ignorable, but you have people like Lord Packinham trying to pretend otherwise because they read a thing on Steam.

Lol, what are you talking about? I’m trying to tell you why they are getting review-bombed into the dirt. The microtransactions are worthless, I even said it in my post. They are the same worthless micro transactions they added to RE4 remake and monster hunter.

The difference is this game has massive performance issues and deserves the beating it’s taking. The game is a 10/10 when it’s not sub 20 fps for no discernible reason.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Not everything is some conspiracy, people were looking forward to the game and it came out with terrible performance issues.

It’s not 2012 anymore or whenever Dragons Dogma 1 came out, launching with this bad of performance will tank your reviews and the MTX was the poo poo cherry on top of the poo poo sundae that is the performance.

I said previously Jedi survivor had similiar issues without microtransactions and is sitting at 66% on steam after a year of patches.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I dunno, to me most people seem pissed about the performance and seeing how RE4 and DMC5 didn’t get review-bombed, I’m going to say the performance is the real issue people are pissed about.

All the people posting in here with the 3080’s and 4090’s and equivalent processors acting like the performance is fine is wild.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Digital Foundry put out a video

https://youtu.be/HtGpp1v8c_k?si=_Gizwb-Lzfwc0XMl

Might help some people with graphics stuff

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I still really like the game but the combat is starting to drag now that I’m in the mid game and there is too much of it with the same enemies. I enjoy the big monster fights but too much with bandits, goblins, harpies and wolves.

I kind of agree with IGN’s 8/10, despite thinking it should be higher when I started.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

johnny park posted:

Fair enough. Ultimately my criticism has nothing to do with the ludonarrative aspect and I was just responding to what I thought you were talking about; in my opinion the experiential aspect is worsened because the constant largely harmless encounters have a negative overall effect on the pacing of travel and exploration. I don't feel like the world is hostile or threatening, I feel like what countblanc said - someone left a dial turned up too high

Maybe it’s because the enemies are so unthreatening that it just becomes boring. It’s like the one guy who installed a mod, I think they had a good idea in making it threatening and I like the way travel works but any enemy that isn’t a massive monster is a joke.

A few less encounters but the goblins can actually hurt you sounds better than my party of 4 just one-shotting a pile of goblins/Saurians.

Maybe this changes as I get farther into the game but I feel like the game is almost too easy and hitting a more souls-like difficulty would help but I don’t know if it would gel with their combat.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I was really into this game for a bit but now that I’m near the end I kinda wish I had waited as the game starts very strong and gets worse as the game goes on. I dunno what the goal was but the bad performance and burying you in goblins, harpies and wolves has really soured my initial impressions. The game is just too easy for most of the time too.

Crashing and losing progress also really added salt to the wound.

I’d recommend waiting for patches if you are on the edge.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
It’s a solid 7-8/10 depending on how well you can deal with the all the issues. Makes a really strong first impression too, but has many problems.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
The enemy variety and having like zero exploration rewards makes the whole thing feel bad after the initial hours.

That’s why I’m not believing that the bad reviews are just MTX at this point. The game has actual issues, especially with performance, difficulty and variety.

I’m probably more harsh than others but I was super hyped for this game and now that I’m near the end, I’m kind of disappointed. The advanced vocations, spear hand and trickster, were kind of lame. It just kind of falls apart after 20 hours, nothing wraps up satisfyingly either.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Capcom stepped on that MTX rake themselves, I don’t feel bad for them at all.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I don’t know if it helps anyone, but there is a group of harpies on the western beach between vermund and harve that consistently crashed me so pay attention to your crashes and if it’s the same thing, just try not to do it because it’s been stable for me otherwise.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I might try to brute force the ending at this point but I’m so burnt out fighting goblins, wolves and harpies that I might just put this game down. I’m pretty bummed considering how stoked I was but man this game has some great ideas that just fall short.

There is just too much combat all the time and the traveling is so slow unless you use a ferry stone.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Warfarer and Trickster are bad classes, I hope they get reworked or changed at some point.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I dunno, the game seems pretty well put together until you get to the desert and then it just seems to fall apart. It just seems unfinished or unbalanced but maybe that’s the intention?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
It’s literally broken as you spam invincible, but not very fun. Force throw is fun for a little bit.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Warrior is probably my favorite to play, has really good monster hunter great sword vibes.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
MS needs a passive to cut fall damage in half or a safe fall so you can do cool dragoon stuff. Also, needs way more damage.

The only truly bad class is trickster because it just doesn’t really work at all. Also, your clone just gets murdered super fast and enemies don’t seem to get fooled as much they should be.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

That's not my experience at all. Trickster is incredible at holding everyone's aggro all the time for ever.

The actual problem with Trickster is that you lose the ability to alpha strike and your effective damage output gets cut in half, so every encounter takes for ever.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you are saying it’s bad and agree with me.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I mean, I still love the game but it’s got plenty of issues that make it hard to recommend. My friend asked me if he should get it and I said not to because it’s still like 7-8/10 for me. I love certain aspects but there are a lot of problems. I dunno, I’m nearly done and just wrapping stuff up but I go from this game is a 10/10 to this game sucks in one play session sometimes.

There is just too much boring combat, too much traveling, exploration is rarely worthwhile but the combat can be 10/10 when fighting a big monster.

What a weird game.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I finished the game, the postgame is pretty fun. Combat and pawns still really good, but the bad stuff really started to outweigh the good by the end.

The combat isn’t balanced that well once you get to Battahl, there are way too many crappy mobs and not enough big monsters. The big monsters also aren’t as deadly as the small mobs, which is bizarre. The final boss was tickling me and then my sorcerer pawn took off half its life with one cast.

I hope there is an expansion that adds like the first games expansion.

I feel about this, the same way I feel about Dragon’s dogma, I hope a sequel fixes this stuff but it seems this janky mess IS the game they wanted to make so I don’t know.

Also, they didn’t make travel interesting, I enjoyed it at the start but I was done with walking/oxcarting by the end and just ferrystoned everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
They designed the game bad on purpose, as a joke.