Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
My main beef with Spearman was that it can only tickle large enemies, so every miniboss was a slog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

My main beef with Spearman was that it can only tickle large enemies, so every miniboss was a slog

Telekineticly throwing rocks, or blocks of ice left after your Pawn's Frigor was very effective against large enemies when I played.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Warrior is probably my favorite to play, has really good monster hunter great sword vibes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I had a good time with Spearhand but a significant chunk of that was just force throwing poo poo at every encounter. I've played a lot of Devil May Cry 4 and 5 so holding down a shoulder button for charge shots was second nature to me.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lord Packinham posted:

Warrior is probably my favorite to play, has really good monster hunter great sword vibes.

it is really fun to climb onto like a dragon's head and just give them a raging headache

e. as an aside i wish people would sometimes give mage pawns something other than fire enchant

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm gonna start a new playthrough right away, playing Fighter and Warrior. My pawn used those vocations so I didn't even touch them myself yet.

I'm very excited to jump on top of monster with a big loving sword.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I'm gonna start a new playthrough right away, playing Fighter and Warrior. My pawn used those vocations so I didn't even touch them myself yet.

as a tip w/ warrior when climbing it really is best to climb to a point you can stand instead of cling, the downstab is so much stronger than the cling attacks

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As Thief, what do I want to mash/hold to do the most damage while clinging (or standing) on a monster prior to Draw and Quarter (which I think launches me off and thus ends the "session")?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I found its damage output to be pretty low. Sure being invuln forever is great but I could have killed that thing in 10 seconds with my thief and not had to worry in the first place.

After a couple of hours leveling trickster (mostly via incensing my pawns and watching them fight stuff for me) I switched to MA and had a much better time with that one than either trickster or spearhand (and I'm not typically into ranged/magic stuff).
It really felt like they could have done more with trickster. Give it a poisonous mist, let it switch locations with its copy (or even that one that lets you scout the area with the ghost form, let me use it to get up to tricky seeker tokens and switch places!!! It's already the seeker token class!)

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I had more fun with the spearhand once I stopped using the invulnerability shield, went full aggro zipping around and picking guys off and let my pawns fend for themselves. Still definitely couldn't take a hit but I also couldn't be hit :shrug:

I'd love if there were some tweaks to the bolt so it was more clear how far it traveled or just so there was some kind of better feedback when it connected. Was always unsure in the chaos of a fight if it was really helping much, especially when uncharged.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 4, 2024

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Have you guys had much luck with the warrior's parry? The window is so small before it becomes a block, and it comes out slow too so you can't really use it as a last second defense option either. Every time I try to make it work I find myself standing around waiting for enemies to come to me when I could just be charging up another attack.

Really, part of what makes warrior feel great is its DS1 Havel's poise, which sort of obviates the need for a counter at all, so I usually just get fed up with it and switch back to razing sweep. I feel like fighter should have just kept its perfect deflect counter and given its "stand there until someone hits you" counter to warrior, and just have you eat the damage you get instead of blocking it or something. Fighter's also in a weird place where the vengeance slash is like 100x better than perfect deflect meaning there's really no reason to ever use it.

Similarly, what use have you guys found for the warrior's shoulder bash? I've found I can usually tank through just about anything if I'm charging something. Is there any way to use it to build up better combos, MH-style?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

As Thief, what do I want to mash/hold to do the most damage while clinging (or standing) on a monster prior to Draw and Quarter (which I think launches me off and thus ends the "session")?

I would do Powder Blast - Ignited Blades - Mash Y - Draw and Quarter

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
MS needs a passive to cut fall damage in half or a safe fall so you can do cool dragoon stuff. Also, needs way more damage.

The only truly bad class is trickster because it just doesn’t really work at all. Also, your clone just gets murdered super fast and enemies don’t seem to get fooled as much they should be.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Giving my warrior the catapult launch sucks because it’s great for traversal when she decides to use it and help me reach a chest but she ends up using it in combat constantly so instead of swinging the sword she’s just waiting for anyone to get launched and does nothing for most of the fight.

You’re supposed to be hacking and slashing! I’m flinging magic arrows I don’t need to get launched!

I actually had to fire a pawn I'd hired with that skill because he learned to run up to me in midfight and activate it. So I'd be in the middle of whaling on an ogre, then just find myself launched in a random direction away from the monster.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lord Packinham posted:

The only truly bad class is trickster because it just doesn’t really work at all. Also, your clone just gets murdered super fast and enemies don’t seem to get fooled as much they should be.

That's not my experience at all. Trickster is incredible at holding everyone's aggro all the time for ever.

The actual problem with Trickster is that you lose the ability to alpha strike and your effective damage output gets cut in half, so every encounter takes for ever.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Coolness Averted posted:

I actually had to fire a pawn I'd hired with that skill because he learned to run up to me in midfight and activate it. So I'd be in the middle of whaling on an ogre, then just find myself launched in a random direction away from the monster.

That's great, makes me wonder what the most annoying possible pawn build would be

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I imagine a warrior pawn with both the launch and the counter would simply never attack

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's great, makes me wonder what the most annoying possible pawn build would be

a pawn with only that skill on

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

That's not my experience at all. Trickster is incredible at holding everyone's aggro all the time for ever.

The actual problem with Trickster is that you lose the ability to alpha strike and your effective damage output gets cut in half, so every encounter takes for ever.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you are saying it’s bad and agree with me.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Lord Packinham posted:

MS needs a passive to cut fall damage in half or a safe fall so you can do cool dragoon stuff. Also, needs way more damage.

I found Trickster to be basically god mode, as long as 1) you have a good trio of pawns and 2) you're really proactive about moving your ghost around. Make enemies waste time running around to chase it (or waste time attacking each other), make heavy use of the AoE smoke (it has a huge radius) and let your pawns mop things up. Most of the time nobody on my team even got touched.

The downside is if you've used the smoke a lot and you let your ghost get killed, be ready to run because everything within sight is coming right for your rear end, right now.

Most of the time it's a safe but slow tactic since you aren't contributing to the damage. Big monsters can do big damage to each other though, and a cyclops or minotaur that you can convince to attack things for you will end them really quickly.

It's a neat gimmick, but imo not as fun as personally wrecking face with some of the other vocations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

A sorcerer pawn with only maelstrom and the inclination that makes them attack every breakable object that might potentially have items in them

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

A well-built pawn with skills people want, but equipped with a ring of derision so it looks like it's doing stuff but not doing anything at all. :getin:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You'd be able to see on the hiring screen if the pawn has lovely stats from the ring, I think. Equipping the ring on a hired pawn and then firing them is probably about the strongest "your pawn sucks" message you could send though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lord Packinham posted:

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you are saying it’s bad and agree with me.

It's not good but not for the reason you said.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jack Trades posted:

Of all the vocations I maxed out on this run they were easily my favorite even though I also really liked Mystic Spearhand and Magick Archer

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

I played Trickster enough to level the vocation to max, and I found it quite fun, personally.

Yeah, it makes fights take longer since you aren't really doing any damage yourself, but it does mean you don't need to have a tank pawn.

Well worth it to level just for the Augment that pings you when there's Seeker's Tokens nearby(Works on the Finder's Token too), though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TeaJay posted:

Question about the postgame:

Am I under a time limit here? Can I rest and sleep to get my HP debuff off or does it advance a "timer"?

There is a timer but it only advances when you sleep. iirc the limit is 7, maybe 8 rests. Though you can kill yourself with the Godsway and then revive with a wakestone, and recruit new pawns to restore their max hp.

So basically you can ignore the gimmick completely doing those two things. I think you need to rest at least once to get everyone you rescued to show up at the seafloor shrine.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 4, 2024

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
wait people are having problems with the spearhand teleport? I haven't had any issues with it like 98% of the time

the class absolutely has big damage moves but you have to build your gear for them. Dwarven smithing your weapon makes the Maister skill hit like a truck for instance. The laser will also shred weak points.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Materials, eh? I shan't deny, they have their uses.

Edit: Running 3x thief with ensnare is so funny

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 4, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I would do Powder Blast - Ignited Blades - Mash Y - Draw and Quarter

Powder Blast doesn't knock you off or hurt you? I haven't tried it yet.

Is Ignited Blades still worthwhile against something like a Drake? Like, if an enemy has high resistance to an element, do you do less damage with an enchantment of that element than you would with no enchantment at all?

Jack Trades posted:

It seems like the main issue with Trickster is just that "a dedicated super-tank" isn't really a necessary role with how the game works, since you can also have something like Warrior tank (who can also do good damage).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I stopped using them because a pawn grants me an elemental boom

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've maxed warrior, thief and spearhand and for me spearhand is fun, but doesn't come close to being as fun as the other two. Warrior and thief are both great and fun and feel totally different to play. Thief movement and skill use is so smooth and combos well and warrior is just so brutally fun.

My go-to combo with the thief has basically been Implicate and stab the enemy with Y, which usually kills normal mobs. Gut & Run and Skullsplitter for bosses. I also have Cutting wind equipped but it's got me killed a few times because my character likes to spin off a cliff very easily with it. Dunno what I'll replace it with, maybe Powder blast? Especially after upgrading Ensnare to Implicate it's enough to stagger the heavy enemies and send the rest flying. Put my pawn Couscous as a warrior in my stead, and she's absolutely ruthless. Been having funny combos where I yank an enemy flying and she bats it back with her big weapon.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

TeaJay posted:

I've maxed warrior, thief and spearhand and for me spearhand is fun, but doesn't come close to being as fun as the other two. Warrior and thief are both great and fun and feel totally different to play. Thief movement and skill use is so smooth and combos well and warrior is just so brutally fun.

My go-to combo with the thief has basically been Implicate and stab the enemy with Y, which usually kills normal mobs. Gut & Run and Skullsplitter for bosses. I also have Cutting wind equipped but it's got me killed a few times because my character likes to spin off a cliff very easily with it. Dunno what I'll replace it with, maybe Powder blast? Especially after upgrading Ensnare to Implicate it's enough to stagger the heavy enemies and send the rest flying. Put my pawn Couscous as a warrior in my stead, and she's absolutely ruthless. Been having funny combos where I yank an enemy flying and she bats it back with her big weapon.

Replace it with Concussive Blast so you have a double jump on command, double jump and a half if you have Skullsplitter too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Has anyone confirmed that the saintess of the slums quest is not timed? there is no hourglass on it in the quest list but the nature of the quest really seems like it would be timed.

I’ve explored all the leads I know about except for finding a doctor to identify the unlabeled medicine found in the basement, and I can’t think of anyone I’ve met so far that would qualify, so I want to stall on calling the cops on the abbess until I meet whoever can do that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Owl Inspector posted:

Has anyone confirmed that the saintess of the slums quest is not timed? there is no hourglass on it in the quest list but the nature of the quest really seems like it would be timed.

I’ve explored all the leads I know about except for finding a doctor to identify the unlabeled medicine found in the basement, and I can’t think of anyone I’ve met so far that would qualify, so I want to stall on calling the cops on the abbess until I meet whoever can do that.

the doctor is in the reststop border town

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Owl Inspector posted:

I can't remember who gives you the tip about where to find the doctor, either the sick beastren or one of the healed former patients, but if you wanna know where to look the doctor you want is in the checkpoint rest town

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Deified Data posted:

I can't remember who gives you the tip about where to find the doctor, either the sick beastren or one of the healed former patients, but if you wanna know where to look the doctor you want is in the checkpoint rest town

It's the sick beastren. You talk with him after you've found some quest items and get a marker for that doctor.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Owl Inspector posted:

I failed that quest because it was obtuse and had too many weird scripted stuff with "Oh, you did one thing, so we're going to assume you also wanted to do 3 other things and we're gonna autosave after them."

If you grab her it auto advances to taking her to jail. If you unlock her jail cell it means you're letting her go free.

Where both of those interactions frustrate me is there are mainline quests that explicitly don't auto advance time like that, like where someone starts a fight and if you don't want to kill them you have to restrain them until a cop comes/carry them to one. There's also a jailbreak where you need to carry the guy outta jail.

Mr E posted:

It's the sick beastren. You talk with him after you've found some quest items and get a marker for that doctor.

They didn't give me that marker. I figured I could potentially interrogate her, but nope.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, nothing like finding some super hidden chest that requires a bunch of platforming or solving a puzzle or something... and it's a wakestone shard.

Every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

TeaJay posted:

I'm fairly certain that Nora the Mage had the flu, her eyes were kinda red and she kept saying me stuff "Don't boss me around, I know what to do!" so I tossed her in the brine to be sure. I don't know whose pawn it is but you might wanna see if that fixed her!

She is a pretty good mage so I'd like to keep her around if that helped her.

Wtf she was just fine last I saw her. Ah well, you gotta do what you gotta do, I'm glad she's been a good mage outside of that at least.