Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So there's no difficulty settings in DD2, right? Something about adaptive difficulty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

What does that look like in practice?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Your stats change when you change your vocation, just like you said.

No no, I was talking about the adaptive difficulty.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Oh oops, mixed up the posts.

We don't know how it works. Adaptive systems like that are usually designed to not be noticed much in the first place.

Ah good to know. I'm more curious for my mother's sake.

My mother (who is now in her early 60s) was a big huge goddamn fan of Dragon's Dogma 1. I think she played in like 2-3 times total. The thing is - she is absolutely dogshit at video games. Despite playing very serious games (Dragon's Dogma, Witcher 3, God of War, etc) she often struggles even when games are on "Easy" difficulty. So she's excited but incredibly nervous about DD2.

As for me, I played only a few hours of DD1 one evening a few years after it came out, but never went back to it because I ended up distracted by other things. So for all intents and purposes, I'm going into this game completely fresh.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I’m having a hard time deciding which vocation I want to main.

I like the bigh swords of the Warrior. But also the mobility of the mystic spearbro.

I know there's the ability to frequently change vocations and the game encourages you to do so with augments, but I still will settle on as my "main" class

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Every day I am grateful for being a superior evolved being who can’t perceive the difference between 30 FPS and 60 making all this poo poo irrelevant to me.

Yeah, I rarely notice framerate until it drops below 30.

Meanwhile, my wife will play certain games, hit a moment of 15 fps and not really pay much mind to it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I wonder how hard it would be to recreate my FFXIV character for DD2.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Welp. I hosed around with the character creator for about 20 minutes last night and found myself completely overwhelmed. Guess I'll have to try again when I have more mental bandwidth.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Question I have for y'all - while the Arisen can swap vocations, which vocation will be your "main" and which vocation are you picking for your pawn?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm probably going to do Warrior Main (maybe swap to Mystic Spearhand eventually) and a Mage/Sorc pawn. And then I'll pick up an archer pawn and idk what for the final slot.

I want to swing bigh weapons.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So via the character creator, you can have freckles, but can't make moles :negative:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Spent about 3 hours last night trying to create a rough approximation of my FFXIV character and still am very unsatisfied with. Will probably spend another hour or two tweaking this character further tonight.

MAYBE I'll have a chance to start playing by the end of the weekend.

Despite the incredible amount of customization you can do with the character creator, I'm still intensely disappointed by the lack of moles. I tried to see if I could make a tattoo work, but unfortunately you can't make the tattoos small enough. The one tattoo that is a circle, when shrunk, is still the size of a bottlecap on the side of her face.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Can you hire pawns from people on other systems or are you stuck with only people who have pawns on the same system as you?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/SmokinSexyStyIe/status/1771009187591467262

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It took me way way way too loving long but I finally finished creating my Arisen and Pawn

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So what do people think about the different Pawn Inclinations? Have people noticed a significant difference in how they act?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hrm. Why is the pawn ID search not working? No matter which code I put in, it says it is invalid.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I want to like warrior more than I do like warrior. I’m no good when games want me to charge and hold attacks.

I’m too much of a button masher.

I'm still super early on as I haven't had too much time to play. I have Fighter to Rank 4 and Warrior to Rank 4. I'm starting to think these aren't for me though. I like big weapons. But the slowness is killing me. I swing an attack and OOPS! Enemy has moved! I don't want to have to stand and wait and charge up and hope they come to me. So either I'm playing it wrong or it just doesn't vibe with me.

Perhaps I should try thief? Any thief enjoyers here?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

jokes posted:

There were 9 vocations in DD1, but DD2 has 10 vocations. However, DD2 has trickster which is... loving weird, and warfarer which isn't really its own vocation, imho. We "lost" the assassin which was red/yellow and they swapped the GOAT mystic knight with the mystic spearhand, which actually is fine.

DD1 also currently has BBI which is a big deal, but that was added in the DLC. Maybe they have something similar for DD2.

I do wonder what they could have put in the "gaps" of classes.

For base classes, we have one strength class (fighter), two dex classes (thief/archer), and one int class (mage). But then only fighter and mage get advanced classes (warrior/sorc). I assume that this is due to the fact that we have two base dex classes. I wonder what the advanced dex class would be, if there was one.

I also think it is interesting that we get two int/dex hybrids (trickster and magic archer) and one int/str hybrid (mystic spearhand) but no str/dex hybrids.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm bored on my lunch break, so I watched this Fextralife video "All Vocations Ranked" because I'm a sucker for stuff like this.

Their rankings:

10 ------- Warfarer --------
09 --------- Fighter ---------
08 -------- Trickster --------
07 ---------- Archer ----------
06 --------- Warrior ---------
05 -------- Sorcerer --------
04 - Mystic Spearhand -
03 ----------- Thief -----------
02 ----- Magic Archer -----
01 ----------- Mage -----------

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I can't play Dragon's Dogma while I'm on my lunchbreak at work, so I'm relegated to watching bad videos. :negative:

I am curious how everyone here would tier rank the 10 vocations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I finally found out where all the Succubi are hanging out, there are a bunch of them on Volcanic Island. So head there if you need Spurious Wings.

Buddy, I ain't goin there for the wings

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

GhostDog posted:

So for some of those barred doors they really want me to spend 20+ minutes running back and forth to switch to archer? Despite having an archer pawn with me? Couldn't just let me use a bow as a warrior and just make it ineffective in combat? Getting really tired of some of this poo poo tbh.

I feel like if an archer can shoot the bar holding the door, the warrior should be the alternative and just bash the door open. You're telling me this 6 food long weapon with a spiked basket-ball size metal head to it can't break this lovely wooden door down?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sloober posted:

You can't break the door, that would be uncivilized.

Barbarian

Definitely not a barbarian.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

A story in two parts -

This morning:

Just now:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

That's delightful. :allears: Can I share those pics on a discord I'm on?

Yeah go ahead. :)

My mother has been absolutely delighted that I've been playing this one at the same time as her. I never played DD1 - well, I played like an hour or two of it but it was at a time when I wasn't in the right mental space to enjoy it. She had played it to completion twice.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/PrizzaaGaming/status/1772835939586301960

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

In the quest log - a quest marked with an hourglass is timed (I assume), what does the blue hand mean though?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Oh cool. Was worried that it was something else to note.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

It's very amusing to me that your mom plays this game. All my mom ever says about games is "why are you always running everywhere?"

In the distant past (I'm talking N64/PS1/PS2 era), she was always interested in video games but never really played them. She would buy the lovely movie tie-in games that were always dogshit platformers that ran like poo poo.

Around 2010, I gave her my old Xbox 360 and bought myself a newer one. Set her up with Lego Harry Potter to ease her into gaming. My stepdad was doing contractor work overseas so was gone for months at a time. This help keep her busy. I kept ramping her up with games and eventually she went on to play Fable 2, Dragon Age Origins, and Skyrim. Her favorite games of all time are the Dragon Age games, Dragons Dogma 1, and Witcher 3. She prefers games where she can have a party and she almost exclusively plays fantasy games (absolutely nothing with shooting).

Despite playing "serious" games for over a decade now, she's still kinda (and I mean this lovingly) really bad at gaming and gets stressed out super easily. She will always play on easy difficulty, if available, and sometimes even that is too much (she almost quit God of War Ragnarok, finding it too hard). But she's a 63 year old woman, so I'm just proud of her for trying.

This past Christmas, my step-dad got us all to chip in to get her a PS5 for her birthday. He still does not understand videogames or why people play them, but he's at least supportive. It was perfect timing too with DD2 arriving now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Could someone give me a vague clue at what the point of no return is so I can make sure I know and can avoid it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The armor sure is ugly in this game.

So yes, I am grinding out 150 seekers tokens for the corset. :colbert:

Then I'm going to duplicate it so I can wear it on my thief and I can give it to my mage.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Your pawn only updates for others at inn/house rests, right? Campfire rests don’t update the pawn for others? I know that inn/house rests give you updates on if your pawn was used, but that’s the only time your pawn’s rift stats/vocations/gear update for others too, right?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I've really enjoyed treking through the countryside and mountain paths and just vibing with the world.

I actually kinda like that there isn't insane good loot around every corner and that the world is filled with a bunch of chests that have just the most mundane poo poo it in? The world just feels alive in a different way from a lot of open world games. It feels alive in like a "this feels like I hike I've taken before" sort of way, if that makes sense.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sloober posted:

im glad i puzzled out how to concussive blast myself up this cliff for this hard to reach salubrius drought. there's just this weird juxtaposition of making things hard to reach and then also making them worthless, like they want you to explore but also want you to get angry at exploring

(there is simply not a lot of gear in the game which, well, i wish there was more variety, i feel like the clothing slot loss is painful in that regard, i might have to reinstall DDDA and mod it some)

idk - I don't ever get angry at exploring. For me, the reward for exploring is the act of exploration. Getting a chest at the end is bonus. I don't care what's actually in the chest and 90% of the time I don't actually even pay attention what I'm grabbing from chests. I just like exploring around and opening the chests.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sloober posted:

i think my whole thing is it was nice if the reward was sometimes a bit more than a potato, it just rarely is. i think there's maybe like a handful of caves that end with a piece of gear or something

I feel like nearly every cave I've gone into has had at least one gear item in it. And then you get some larger caves that have multiple bosses/gear items. But the average cave, from what I've seen, usually gives you at least one gear item - and probably a seeker token. And for me at least, that's enough.

Maybe I'm just easy to please. At this point, I have probably 30 or so hours in the game, I'm level 30 and have only really explored the first third of the map. I just enjoy vibing in the world.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

I think content in an open world game needs to be justified by either being intrinsically unique/interesting, or by having a good mechanical reward, or by having story/quest relevance.

I'm not trying to be argumentative when I ask this, and I ask this question out of sincere curiosity of your view: Why?

Why does exploration have to offer anything beyond the exploration for explorations sake?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Because for most people that isn't a reward or satisfying.

So then they don't need to do it? :shrug:

Do what you find rewarding and satisfying, don't do the stuff you don't find rewarding and satisfying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I've put so many loving hours in but I've still hardly explored the map. Just been going and getting Seeker's Tokens.

You can move Portcrystals right? Where did you all put them?

This is all I have on my map sofar: