Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there's some 7m lore video dropping in just over 8h:
https://twitter.com/dragonsdogma/status/1768261233130582197

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy_rEa1QpL8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

So there’s gonna be denuvo on this thing? How long does that usually take to come off, my understanding is that it’s usually removed some time after release?
it depends on the contract 3 months, 6 months, a year. really though it doesn't matter unless the devs patched it in a hot path when they were told not to

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

as long as i can still ignore fall damage with helmsplitter...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

from the sounds of it the keys aren't allowed to get distributed until near when the game is unlocked, which doesn't make sense given how the packages are handled on steam - but that's where we are

looking forward to flying into free soon

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i did one last attempt at recreating wolveshuntin, who is still popular in dd1 (4/5 in all categories) and used by non-goons from all over:

had to settle on abusing scars to get close to the same visuals but it'll do. i made a copy of the inclinations and replicated height/weight too

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

According to SteamDB, 234 people are playing DD2 right now. loving how. Ludicrous Internet speeds or people who were sent review keys beforehand?
review/pre-release keys, there's streamers who got them a few hours ago

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

having so much fun in this i've been exploring so much i haven't made it to the capital yet. on the main quest to go there with the plot npcs i went on a detour instead to waterfall cave or whatever it's called that wraps around and exits where you started. got in a massive fight with a wight that killed the plot npcs (which auto-completed the quest... somehow) but i got some great upgrades in there. a mountain's secret was also fun and finding oozes to fight which seem to be more prevalent

game has been really smooth when playing and it's exactly what i wanted for a new dragons' dogma game

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

Fighting big monsters is really fun but yeah the performance is absolutely terrible. Dropping to 19fps in the cities and 30fps sometimes outside.

hope there can be some kinda patch or driver update it's like I'm playing botw over here! :haw:
..what's your cpu/gpu? that's pretty extreme compared to everyone else i'm hearing

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So what's the deal with caves sealed up so you can't break or explode the rocks blocking them off? I entered a tiny doorway in a mountain, fought an ogre in a hilarious hallway battle where it was too fat to do anything but stand there and die, and then couldn't get out either marked exit of the cave after killing a bunch of dudes that tried to kill me.
i think that one is bugged until you reach the capital the first time and it also happened to me. i was exploring too greedily at that point though and kept finding invisible walls where in dd1 seeker tokens would be. have about 35 now and am messing around near sacred arbor but haven't pushed the main quest forward beyond the initial capital stuff

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

The kid in the house doesn't give you the quest if her grandparents are in the room fyi. Idk if that's the problem, but I picked them up and set them outside and the kid was happy to beg for dangerous magickal grimoires.
oooh i was wondering why the most obvious sidequest never triggered

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Does Detection work for the Sphinx special token you have to find in 7 days?
yup

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

You can actually be discovered when breaking into places you're not supposed to be. I had some guards attack me in the Vernworth Gaol after they literally walked into me while I was talking with a prisoner.
yeah it seems to be gaols where they get most upset. i was wandering around battahl early and went into the forbidden magick research area and no one cared i was there until i found the tunnel going to the gaol, then suddenly i had to kill the 3 guards in there. leaving back through the forbidden magick area no one cared

jokes posted:

Honestly, the fact that most people in DD1 talked about magick archer and mystic knight so much probably made capcom decide to work on those and abandon Assassin/ranger.
? the chunk of people talking about magick archer were min-maxers who just spent their time posting about it rather than playing, strider all the way.

Basic Chunnel posted:

My tinfoil hat take is that DD2 has benefited as a sort of “halo effect” from the phenomenon of Helldivers 2, a game where “wait is this actually working as it should” and “hmmm they didn’t really think this through” basically become features which enhance the game’s mystique. Folks are primed to be generous toward a messy game with can-do spirit.

If you decide to read the Marcher armor’s brief descriptions using your Dark Souls brain you can take a hint that it allows for social stealth, but does it really? I don’t actually know, and the lack of savescumming means that you can’t really afford to gently caress around in order to find out. It’s definitely got the aura of a game where stealth might be gestured toward but just… not work. Getting into the dungeon in the first city was goofy, no real feedback to choices, no indication that I was doing anything right or anything at all, really. Does my accounting for mechanics which might not actually be there a merit to the game? Idk.

From any objective distance this game is jank city, and like a lot of jank games its ambitions and semi-accidental system interactions make it feel novel even with its many rough edges. But it’s kind of weird to see ppl coming around on this specific game as a deliberate, holistic work without the reservations you’d see with like, Kenshi or Arcanum (which this game REALLY reminds me of)
i mean we have dragons dogma 1 to work with to see designer intent and everything in 2 was in that game just a bit more sloppy

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

In DD1 my beloved was always the last person I got to max affinity before it gets locked in, so I was reliably able to get the person I wanted by giving them the arisen’s bond as the very last thing I did before going to the greatwall.

Upgrading my old i7-8700 to a ryzen 7 7800x3d plus faster RAM has changed my frame rate in verdun from 30-45 to 50-75. pretty solid improvement but there are still inconsistent stutters that make it feel choppy, my fans are screaming for mercy, and there’s not drastically better hardware you can get for games at the moment so I really hope they can do some better optimization on the NPCs. whatever riveting behavior simulation it’s supposedly doing has yet to be apparent to me in any way, and not one NPC has been interesting enough for me to remember their name, so I don’t know what the point of it is. if this is what’s shredding performance issues then it’s not worth the cost unless NPCs suddenly start being more than cardboard cutouts later on.
the 7000 series wants to run hot by default and will increase clocks depending on how much thermal headroom your system can handle. you're probably overdoing it on your fans attempting to keep it cool when the cpu is trying to get as hot as possible when under a proper workload. it's a weird new way they approach the newer cpus so if you're designing your thermals against how cpus have worked in the past you'll hit that issue

George Sex - REAL posted:

Hearing about people's specs/performance makes me scratch my head about my own. I've got a 7950X3D, 6400HZ ram and a 3090 TI. Fans barely speed up if at all, temperatures stable, ~30% CPU utilization in cities and I really can't break 40 FPS. The rest of the game is fully inconsistent. Weird experience, nothing quite similar. I'll randomly get 60+ FPS while adventuring and just think how much better it feels. Wish I had a solution
you have a 7950x3d, that's a 2x ccd so the 3d cache is only used by half the chip and why you're having trouble. with a 7800x3d i'm whisper quiet and only get issues in the really dense parts of cities

Broken Cog posted:

Dunno if anyone else has noticed, but people you have high affection with seems to leave gifts hanging by the door of your house when you buy it. And some pretty valuable stuff at times, too. I've gotten good weapons and ferrystones.

Also, there's 3 chests and a seeker token on top of the Pawn guild in Vernworth. To reach it you just have to go out on one of the balconies for the Inn, climb up a ladder outside, and jump across.
ya i went back to town and had a couple of bags outside my house. and an elf who wanted to go on a quest halfway across the map. i lost him making my way there, hope he isn't dead

and for those trying to get access to the last part of the ancestral .. place NE of the elves and connecting to the start of the game. make sure it's night but also to force skeletons to summon go to the barred gate then save and return to title screen. i got in a big fight then with a skeleton lord so there's more special elite versions of enemies than it appears, they're just .. very rare

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah I have to say I never would have found the Sphinx organically
i didn't have trouble finding it organically, all the carvings in the dungeon leading up to it were a bit of a giveaway

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, I caved and set my pawn quest to Golden Trove Beetle for 10k, because I'm just not finding any more of them. I want to stress that you should only help me out in this way if you've already reached the cap yourself and have some spares (someone earlier was saying he somehow had dozens of them). Otherwise, keep them for yourself, raising your encumbrance limit is really useful.
given how low i'm seeing people's pawns encumbrance at i think there's a lot of people who just .. don't use them or have barely found any. me and my pawn are around ~80kg max each, with the augment and a moderate ring. meanwhile i'm seeing random pawns at 37kg...

Broken Cog posted:

Keep in mind that you can still use the beetles even if you've reached the cap. Check if it only lowers your encumbrance by .05 when you use one, since that's the weight of the beetle.
It doesn't really take that many to max out.
...are we certain there is a limit? i'm drat sure i'm past 80 which was the implied limit before. i've saw there's level up milestones that give you +encumbrance too

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

been meaning to mention there is a cap on gold trove beetles: it's functionally every one in the map (including all the wandering merchants, etc), bar 2-3

also got all 240 seeker tokens only a handful require levitation, you can bomb-jump to get basically all of them

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

So you've reached it? What happens when you try to consume a beetle? I've heard about the cap before, but I think I've received about 8-10 beetles from other players so far, and I'm still not there. I thought I'd been pretty thorough, but I must have missed more of them than I thought.
the use function is just disabled. i was meaning to list my arisen's height/weight/capacity without augs/rings to make it easier to figure out what the actual cap is - i'll do that later

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

right if someone can make a base character with the same height/weight we can figure how many beetles it takes to hit the cap:

no augs/rings:
height: 175cm
weight: 60kg
max encumbrance: 57.15kg (with max gold beetles)
e: wolveshuntin got what should be the rarest pawn badge defeating 5 sphinxes, which is weird as it was on 2/5 this morning then i checked a couple of hours later and it's complete?! 5 people had borrowed them in the meantime. i also got sent a cranberry which i'm keeping with the 3x raspberries i have as bizarrely weird berries that don't seem to spawn in my world

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 13, 2024

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

that all goes straight to storage if you lose a pawn, nothing to worry about

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, I thought it went back to you. I guess that’s only equipment?
if you directly make a hired pawn wear equipment that'd go back to the original owner ya. if you dismiss a pawn you can give them a gift as well

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

So Thief is just straight up the cheating class, right? I'm untouchable with the Maister skill, I'm tearing through everything I fight, and we took out a Drake in record time and it didn't land a single hit on me :stwoon:
they had to nerf strider somehow...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I just received two from an Arisen called Mira. If that was you, thanks :tipshat:

e: still haven't reached the cap, but I have to be getting close now.

Stats for Wiggly: 170 cm height, 59 kg weight, and currently a Max Encumbrance of 56.70 kg without any rings or augments
i forgot to account for lvl tbf, there are some levels where you just gain max encumbrance...

got 14 pawn badges, and what i'm missing is funny:
- grim ogres 11/20, because they didn't like spawning, might go camp some caves
- gorechimera 2/20, mainly because i don't want to do the waterfall cave
- lesser dragons 4/20, thanks randos for giving me more kills i believe this is pretty hard locked
- warg 2/30, this'll take a .. while

goreminotaurs were easier for me than regular minotaurs which i just cleared up 5m ago

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Nuebot posted:

How'd you get the sphinx badge? I want all the badges but that one seems the worst.
i got very very lucky with other people doing it for me

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

e: wolveshuntin got what should be the rarest pawn badge defeating 5 sphinxes, which is weird as it was on 2/5 this morning then i checked a couple of hours later and it's complete?! 5 people had borrowed them in the meantime. i also got sent a cranberry which i'm keeping with the 3x raspberries i have as bizarrely weird berries that don't seem to spawn in my world

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

e: Capcom also provides pity hires, identifiable by the 'Arisen' not having a Steam profile, but presumably that would indeed not count towards any pawn quests
i think there's more to this than a profile not showing. when i got the --sphinx--- pawn badge i had some of those involved and items sent that wouldn't be in a pity hire pool (and my pawn is hired enough to not hit that system)

it may depend on some family sharing, privacy settings, etc. or more realistically if the profile entry is invalid or corrupt in some way it just hides them all. i've seen a batch of hires that can all be missing a way to view the hirer, but they don't seem to have static names

i'll keep some notes going forward i guess

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You need a specific shield to petrify the medusa by reflecting her gaze back at her (it's one you have to find but the description makes it pretty obvious that's what it does).
you can always just get a preserved medusa head and then store it for a week. also works on her..

as far as respawns btw i've heard 72 hours but i haven't had a consistent respawn for most enemies unless i sleep for a week. i even had an incident when i cleaned up an area for the night, went home and sleep for a week then saved. then picked up the game the next day and looking around there were still corpses...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I've been getting Capcom pity hires these past two days, and I don't like it. Please an actual human hire my pawn.

I heard the cap was all the beetles in your game + 3, something like that. So you should be really close.
i think whoever made that calculation only counted beetles on trees, and not all the ones available at wandering merchants

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

also my pawn is about 1-for-75 launching me when I need it, and has sent me careening off cliffs a half dozen times when I get near him at the wrong time in combat
yeah launch is just a trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

efb

idk if they will open chests(probably), but they will kick down ladders.
i've had pawns levitate up to places and open chests, but never kick down a ladder (mainly because i never gave them the opportunity tbf). but it's entirely luck if they decide to do any of that based on their looting priorities

Honest Thief posted:

they do, but they dont get seeker tokens!
they will pick up seeker tokens they just need to learn to do that, i think it takes them seeing you pick up 100 or so?