Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Captain Oblivious posted:

They're not calling them a slur you doofus.

"The Knocker, Knacker, or Tommyknocker is a mythical, subterranean, gnome-like creature in Cornish and Devon folklore. The Welsh counterpart is the coblyn. It is closely related to the Irish leprechaun, Kentish kloker and the English and Scottish brownie. The Cornish described the creature as a little person 2 ft 0 in (0.61 m) tall, with a disproportionately large head, long arms, wrinkled skin, and white whiskers. It wears a tiny version of standard miner's garb and commits random mischief, such as stealing miners' unattended tools and food. "

Dragon's Dogma 2, where you can be set upon by a pair of knackers and a chopper

e: what a snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Just made it to the postgame.

Hoo boy

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pretty sure my pawn has the Dragonblight. She's not really giving me lip yet, but she suddenly has red eyes instead of blue ones.

Do I just throw her into the brine? I kind of want to see what happens next, but I don't want to wait until it's too late, either.

e: I'm also pretty sure I know the culprit:

If your pawn is giving you lip, it's time to give them a dip. (in the brine)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, I caved and set my pawn quest to Golden Trove Beetle for 10k, because I'm just not finding any more of them. I want to stress that you should only help me out in this way if you've already reached the cap yourself and have some spares (someone earlier was saying he somehow had dozens of them). Otherwise, keep them for yourself, raising your encumbrance limit is really useful.

Keep in mind that you can still use the beetles even if you've reached the cap. Check if it only lowers your encumbrance by .05 when you use one, since that's the weight of the beetle.
It doesn't really take that many to max out.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

If your pawn is giving you lip, it's time to give them a dip. (in the brine)

It's just responsible arisening to bathe your pawns regularly.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, I caved and set my pawn quest to Golden Trove Beetle for 10k, because I'm just not finding any more of them. I want to stress that you should only help me out in this way if you've already reached the cap yourself and have some spares (someone earlier was saying he somehow had dozens of them). Otherwise, keep them for yourself, raising your encumbrance limit is really useful.
given how low i'm seeing people's pawns encumbrance at i think there's a lot of people who just .. don't use them or have barely found any. me and my pawn are around ~80kg max each, with the augment and a moderate ring. meanwhile i'm seeing random pawns at 37kg...

Broken Cog posted:

Keep in mind that you can still use the beetles even if you've reached the cap. Check if it only lowers your encumbrance by .05 when you use one, since that's the weight of the beetle.
...are we certain there is a limit? i'm drat sure i'm past 80 which was the implied limit before. i've saw there's level up milestones that give you +encumbrance too

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is it a big deal to change vocation?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Nope. You have to go to a vocation guild or inn that has the option, but they're in every town.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

They're not calling them a slur you doofus.

"The Knocker, Knacker, or Tommyknocker is a mythical, subterranean, gnome-like creature in Cornish and Devon folklore. The Welsh counterpart is the coblyn. It is closely related to the Irish leprechaun, Kentish kloker and the English and Scottish brownie. The Cornish described the creature as a little person 2 ft 0 in (0.61 m) tall, with a disproportionately large head, long arms, wrinkled skin, and white whiskers. It wears a tiny version of standard miner's garb and commits random mischief, such as stealing miners' unattended tools and food. "

late last night, and the night before.....

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I check pretty much every time to see if my encumbrance limit has changed, so I don't think I'm there yet. I don't know where the missing beetles could be, I've scoured nearly all of the map.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

given how low i'm seeing people's pawns encumbrance at i think there's a lot of people who just .. don't use them or have barely found any. me and my pawn are around ~80kg max each, with the augment and a moderate ring. meanwhile i'm seeing random pawns at 37kg...

Yeah, I don't think this is an appropriate pawn quest at low levels because many people genuinely wouldn't know how it works yet, but anyone who is hiring a level 53 pawn and would consider filling this request either has reached the cap or does not care about beetles for some reason.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

e: I'm also pretty sure I know the culprit:

[/spoiler]

Surprised you still have Urgan. Don't need to worry about him having Dragonblight anymore because he's embraced oblivion since I started a new playthrough.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
oh that was a big question I had, if you start an entirely new game, is the old char + pawn nuked / removed from online hiring? or is the pawn left forever out in da ether without a way to retrieve gifts?

and how does any of that interact with making a backup save of a char and copying it back over?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can still hire him just fine, and as a matter of fact I just did. I gather that I should not bother sending any gifts, then. I briefly considered forbidding Urgan from seeing my pawn ever again after what he did to her, but he is useful, especially since he's one of the few martial pawns on my friends list higher-level than I am.

e: my god she has the red eyes again. It's putting me on edge

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Everdraed posted:

oh that was a big question I had, if you start an entirely new game, is the old char + pawn nuked / removed from online hiring? or is the pawn left forever out in da ether without a way to retrieve gifts?

and how does any of that interact with making a backup save of a char and copying it back over?

No idea how to backup existing characters, but I'm pretty confident that starting a new game will destroy your existing pawn. You can only import one into the game otherwise everyone would have a bunch of unused pawns not making any progress or collecting thier gifts.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Gonna just repeat how really cool mystic spearhand is to play once you've got 2-3 ranks in the vocation. I wasn't especially interested in being a jedi, but ragdolling enemies everywhere and keeping you and your allies in forcefields is just ridiculous compared to warrior and fighter.
It's the real upgrade over them, just lacking a taunt -which doesn't matter since it makes everyone invulnerable.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Deified Data posted:

Does trickster want provocation or no? On paper it sounds like it'd be good but not sure if normal aggro and simulacrum get buffed by the same things

It does not need it at all due to how good the skills are at getting attention

you just need to make sure no pawns have a taunt

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

You might just want to adventure at night for a while, because those bugs are extremely bright. They're basically free floating lanterns

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

BadLlama posted:

The only thing you have to deal with is having to grind out all the skills. You can use all the augments from other vocations.

I believe your "leveled" stats automatically change to suit your vocation.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

A thing that I like that is minor.

Mages have a basic and advanced version of every elemental spell.

They even have an advanced anti undead spell

The basic version is their aoe heal which also hurts some undead if they get close

For ghosts, they go towards your light, so have a mage cast that spell, turn on your lantern, and let them run into holy healing to take damage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the Sphinx might be voiced by the same person as Frieza in the Japanese dub.

Edit: it's gotta be, I've been playing the Kakarot game and Sphinx even shares Frieza's general speaking style

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 30, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

One of the male pawn voices is Kruber from Vermintide, 100%

If I'm wrong I have the goon face blindness disease but for voices

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I see the thread is already moving on but no more 'knacker' discussion. It's been used as a slur but it's not cut and dried and it has a lot of non-slur meanings so let's not get caught up in seeing bigotry where none exists. Cheers.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

One of the male pawn voices is Kruber from Vermintide, 100%

If I'm wrong I have the goon face blindness disease but for voices

His voice actor is listed in the credits without an attached character, so you seem to be correct.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Seconding really wanting to know if you can back up saves when starting a new game, but part of me has a hunch that something fucky would happen on the network end with your pawns, if it's possible at all

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There is a steam guide somewhere about backing up saves

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I just made it to Cat City. Been having a blast. Switched from Fighter to Thief. It's crazy how fast Thief feels. Fighter is slow and clunky , but still pretty good.

Also the new patch was nice. I locked to 30FPS, with Ray Tracing on and Motion Blur off and the game feels really good now.

Also there aren't a ton of PS5 people on the list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CPUxGkeK6FHGsSe1igMFOsSc-81RxfUxVHRDqr-KyE4/edit#gid=0

Add me on PSN if you are on PS5: My PSN is BoltThrower-_-

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Failed the Dullahan quest because my entire party walked directly into brine and I couldn't do anything to the boss before it killed the quest NPC

rip

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Third World Reagan posted:

There is a steam guide somewhere about backing up saves
yeah backing up saves locally is no problem, there's a win64_save data folder ya can copy elsewhere for safekeeping and there seems to be no issue with pasting and loading up either auto or inn saves as long as ya disable cloud stuff (no doubt that's exploitable if ya wanna bother gifting off big ticket items and reloading heh). also somebody made a lil save manager tool somewhere for convenience too

but I haven't seen any specifics on doing that to preserve a playthrough while starting a new one, then trying to go back to the old and what it'll do for networked elements like pawns? I imagine with the actual button now folks will test it out soon enough, my guess is that whenever you rest at an inn it uploads your current playthrough data (pawn + arisen) and can only have one at a time, but will prrrrobably update to whatever your current data is? maybe with a 24 hour ban if ya do it repeatedly or screw with things a bunch?

funny enough the 'my pawn will be gone forever?' aspect was actually why I never did another playthrough of DD:DA on PC

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 30, 2024

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ajkalan posted:

His voice actor is listed in the credits without an attached character, so you seem to be correct.

I'm sure Bardin is also a voice actor in this game, I've recognized a bunch of the Warhammer games-adjacent VAs, and along with some of Fromsoft's regulars. Glad the UK theater/VA industry has been doing well with videogames for a while now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Well poo poo, apparently missing that one major act 1 sidequest also causes this other sidequest I just did to end badly.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Wild to me you unlock Trickster in the same place as Oops! All Golems! the one boss so far I have to proactively target the weak points once they're down to one or two medals.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The two worst fights I had in the game were Trickster vs golem and Trickster vs Drake lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RoboCicero posted:

Wild to me you unlock Trickster in the same place as Oops! All Golems! the one boss so far I have to proactively target the weak points once they're down to one or two medals.

Looks like you were... tricked

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

flashman posted:

I saw some clips of this on tik tok and it looked cool they were ads though, but on steam it got alot of bad reviews, is it good or is it poo poo?

The spear dude looked like kaladin storm blessed which is pretty bad rear end for a nerd like myself you know? I like elden ring and video games

If you really like the Elden Ring and the souls-bourne experience which lets you play with friends or do pvp you might not enjoy this as much (then again, you might enjoy it more!) You spend a lot more time going in and out of cities and villages talking to people and doing little non combat related quests, dealing with inventory management and storage, and you have to do things like camp and sleep to restore your maximum health. A lot of the main quests early on involve you talking to people in town.

It has differences in the gameplay mechanics, for example your armour and weapon usage is tied to the vocation (the class you are using). If you are playing as an Archer they are the only vocation who use bows but can't use melee weapons, and no one else can use bows to make ranged attacks (read about the Warfarer class on the first page for an exception to the rule). There is no lock on system or dodge-rolling for combat, and you need to pick up and combine objects in the world to create healing items (stuff like herbs and fruit). Items you don't use in time go rotten in your inventory if they aren't turned into something useful (read more about cooking and crafting in the first post).

There are no mounts or mounted combat, you travel everywhere by foot or have to pay a very small fee to ride between certain towns in a cart. These carts can get attacked and destroyed during the journey, forcing you to walk the rest of the way. There are fast travel items you start getting around mid game which make things easier but you have to place them yourself. You have to spend another item to move between them. You will get enough of them to travel around but they can't be wasted pointlessly. It isn't like the Dark Souls lord vessel that gives infinite fast travel, or the linked sites of grace in Elden Ring.

Most of the fun comes from exploring the world and doing things at different times of day because people move around on schedules and might have different things to say or secrets to reveal. There are lots of items to combine, weapons and armour can be enhanced, and one of the main gameplay goals is levelling up your main character and your main pawn to grow their skills to see if they get hired out by other people looking for an extra party member. You can also hire other party members made by other players, to mix up your party and see how they deal with challenges. A lot of people I've watched playing have hardly touched the main quest after playing for 20+ hours and really enjoy walking around the main world just smashing monsters.

Earwicker posted:

i've only been playing for like 10 hours or so but i haven't seen any microtransactions at all?

like i literally have not been presented with any kind of screen or option to pay real money (or buyable fake game money) for anything at all at any point in the game :confused:

The store page on Steam had micro transactions listed on the front page, which weren't announced before release. Some of these were stuff like 'change the appearance of your character' or 'change the personality/inclination of your main pawn', and other things in the game that are mostly useless like 'Makeshift Gaol Key' which can only be used once. Because they were all shown on the front page before starting or buying the game a lot of people treated it as a customer betrayal like "Why didn't they tell us we would have to pay money to make a new character?" which isn't true.

To be fair, the DLC to change pawn inclination is 'ambivalent rift incense' which changes your pawn to a random inclination - you don't even get to choose which one it will be.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hahaha I switched to Archer but still have Spear muscle memory and it's not working right

Also is the fake master skill thieves get actually useful despite the drawback? The animation made it seem kinda cool

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, give them the other master skill which lets you automatically dodge anything and it will dodge the self immolation. The explosion does insane damage if it hits anything.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Could have sworn the bridge of Theodracus was broken before but suddenly it's intact and a viable route? When did this happen?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Eh, I'm 40 hours in now, and I just spent a few minutes watching two rock golems and a pack of knackers all chain stun/rag doll my character the entire fight, and I hit that point where I realized this isn't actually fun. Just watching my character get hit, get knocked down, take a l o n g t i m e getting back up, just to have another enemy come in from off screen and start all the bull poo poo over again. The fights don't feel harder in Batahl, they just feel more frustrating.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Deified Data posted:

Could have sworn the bridge of Theodracus was broken before but suddenly it's intact and a viable route? When did this happen?

at some point, not sure if it's a story thing or on a timer after you first find it or what. some landslides blocking roads also get cleared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

turn off the TV posted:

at some point, not sure if it's a story thing or on a timer after you first find it or what. some landslides blocking roads also get cleared

They're story related generally. Like the road to the nameless village unblocks after you've finished there. Similarly the waterfall cave is blocked so you don't accidentally wander in and get obliterared immediately after the tutorial