Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone tried running a party without a mage? I feel like you just absolutely need a dude who can heal, and sadly that means I'm either running a party with a single melee fighter while I'm running archer and my pawn sorcerer for augment farming, or I'll have to switch my pawn back to mage in order to keep two melee fighters in play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
God my kill speed has gone into overdrive now that I'm playing Warrior instead of Fighter

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Those mage augments that increase heal gains or enchantment durations and whatever, do they increase heals and enchantments *they* cast or do those augments only buff their own personal gains from those spells

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
nah dude, you can't just say it's a bad mechanic and assume everyone's gonna follow you lockstep, you gotta convince people that you're not just mad you're getting your rear end kicked by the videogame

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gearing spoilers: is it safe to assume that the best archery and magic gear are all from Elftown?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

No, but I am pretty sure they have the best bow you can buy before getting the permit to enter Battahl.

Huh, can you humor this next question, if you don't mind: I've already managed to enter Battahl, do you mean that their capital city already has better gear than the stuff in Checkpoint? Should I just push on through with my pre-Checkpoint gear and go on a shopping spree once I get there, for efficiency's sake?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Any recommendations for archer skills? Dire Arrow and Explosive Shot both kick rear end, but everything else seems meh?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Oh sorry for the confusion, I'm still in the first part of the game. What I meant was just that in Sacred Arbor, which you can enter after doing that elf guy's quest, I bought a bow (Dinistrydd) that is better than any other bow that I've found so far. If you already have access to Battahl, you can probably find even better bows in shops there.

It's cool, I decided to do a hell march to the capital anyway. It Was Rough, But Badass

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thank God I'm done with Archer, I loving hate aiming with a controller. I don't like double dagger fighting styles but Thief is a great way to mentally jump back into the greatest strength of this series: climbing monsters and stabbing them repeatedly in their vitals

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah I know, I'm levelling Thief for the augments, same as Archer. Once it's all done, I'm going back to Fighter or Warrior and keeping an eye out for Warfarer

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I fought a Dullahan outside of the quest. Remember that it is undead and spooky ie. wander around forests at night and when it becomes foggy, it's around

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Eh, it's a mild one. Some side quests will terminate once you do it.

The stronger one is in Battahl, and it'll trigger when you go pick something up you had someone working on, so be wary of that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bunch of questions:

1) Anyone do an assessment of the augments yet? I run melee classes but I maxed out Archer for the climbing poo poo augment as well because of course I would like it for melee shenanigans. I'm also eyeing suffering through maxing out Mage just for the stamina recovery speed augment, which can very well be an issue as a melee character unless you go insanely hard on chugging stamina items whenever.

2) Warfarer, how does it work? Do you equip the weapons you want, and using their appropriate vocation skills switches you to that weapon? Or do you need Rearmament to be able to switch weapons and thus movesets at all? I was thinking of a Fighter/Warrior hybrid, with Fighter's dashing stab and climbing monster stab, with the Warrior's shoryuken. If I don't need Rearmament, I'm slotting in the Fighter's autoparry or an Archer skill just for those goddamn harpies.

3) With the game being relatively easy, how low a tier of gear do you think you can use weapons from, counting on Wyrmforging to bring up to endgame spec? I feel like the gear from Checkpoint has this good balance between looks and stats, because Battahl onwards gets a bit too Monster Hunter for me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

2) You can equip whatever weapons and armor you want. You need to use Rearmament if you want to use their skills quickly(unless you want to dive into the menu every time). I would 100% suggest carrying the lightest staff you can find so you can swap to it in places where you might want to use Levitate.

What do you mean quickly? If I'm not using Rearmament, does that mean I'm switching weapons (and thus skillsets) by going into the equip screen (which IIRC can't be done while in combat)?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks guys, I wish it were full on DMCV Dante moveset swaps but I guess they were thinking of balance. Not that balance in this one is particularly strong TBH, that Warrior uppercut puts multiple vocation ults to shame on its own in any case.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Vargs posted:

According to the info on Fextralife, the bonuses you get from augments are extraordinarily minimal, and it definitely seems that way playing around with them. Expect 5-10% bonuses. Not really noticeable.

drat, that's legit disappointing. The DD1 ones were gamechangers in comparison

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well poo poo, they could've juiced them further and grouped them into appropriate schools of vocations instead of needing me to play Mage for a critical physical class augment

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

Oh it gets better: there's a 3rd way to solve that quest:

It requires you to duplicate the Orb through the Sphinx (or cheating).

Hah, holy poo poo that's right, you CAN do that

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The thief smoke bomb is also crazy good, cheap stamina cost, comes out quick, and basically acts as a soft stun in a big aoe

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Musing on whether I should roll Warfarer as sword/shield + bow instead of sword/shield/ + great weapon. Sometimes there's just no way to deal with fliers but shooting them, and I suppose I could learn the timing on the Archer's charge shot, which I have a much harder time with compared to the great weapon uppercut

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Play posted:

Do not give the wyrmslife crystals to Ambrosius if you don't want to set in motion the end of the game.

I thought it's the pickup that's the cut off

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Now that the honeymoon period is past, this game is kind of mid. Itll probably be transformed by DLC. I wish it had actual themed dungeons rather than multiple variations of cave with trash mobs, but Ill settle for the inevitable DLC enemy variety.

I love the game a lot but "objectively" it has a lot of issues. It'll be in a funky spot mentally where I'd be like, I think the game is like 7.5 or 8 out of 10, but it's going to be in the top 3 of my GOTY this year because it sets out to do what a lot of other games have tried and actually mostly succeeds at it without compromising its vision, warts and all.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

What exactly was the vision for DD2?

At least to me it's a open world D&D simulator focusing on random encounters and escalation, which no other game compares to. The simulationist aspects of the combat and world feed into this, and making fast travel either come with risks (cart ambushes and the drat thing getting wrecked means you're finishing this journey on foot, sucker) or be expensive and need investment (portcrystals need to be planted, ferrystones can't be microtransaction'd and cost a fair bit when it matters, ie. you don't have gently caress you money yet).

Like you can compare it with Elden Ring but ER is a massive open world dungeon, there's very little emergent about it, and I say this as someone who's played a ton of that game. That's the key difference to me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
When drakes do their freaky mind control poo poo, can you stop them by bashing the gently caress out of their grabbing arm? Or is it just best to have something to quickly deal a lot of knockdown damage to their head/heart?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

There's a much better mod now for adjusting the difficulty.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/195?tab=description

I still wonder what the "dynamic difficulty" they talked about supposed to be.

Jack, you said that even the base settings this mod has feels a lot better paced than vanilla difficulty? Is that right? I'm planning ahead for a replay since I know what quests to expect now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tabletops posted:

just so you know, that mod (and every RE:framework mod) can get applied twice (or more) if you were to disengage with a mob and fight it again, like a drake or gryffon flying off and then you fight it again. the way it (and all re:framework scripts work) is they apply their effect at some triggered moment (in this case, when combat begins) and thus can stack indefinitely, leading to invulnerable monsters or other stuff

Dang, that's an issue alright. Hopefully the modder finds a fix.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I know why it doesn't have a portcrystal: it's a very funny dunk on people speedrunning to Battahl from the getgo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Vargs posted:

I started up a new mage/sorc playthrough using the default settings on this mod and it's been pretty fun so far. My level 10 party rested at a campfire, spotted a chest which happened to have a bunch of basic Saurians around it, and they beat my rear end so badly that I blew through all of my healing consumables to survive repeated fatal blows and needed to go rest again after that single encounter. Would recommend.

Rad, thanks for the confirm!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ajkalan posted:

His voice actor is listed in the credits without an attached character, so you seem to be correct.

I'm sure Bardin is also a voice actor in this game, I've recognized a bunch of the Warhammer games-adjacent VAs, and along with some of Fromsoft's regulars. Glad the UK theater/VA industry has been doing well with videogames for a while now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You know what I would really like? Auto-looting

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
He's a pompous gently caress and thinks you look poor

Noble clothes from your escapades in Vernworth will work

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drat, there's already enough mods out that I'm really considering a restart.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/281?tab=posts
https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/300?tab=description
https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/195
https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/185?tab=videos

These four in particular I'm keeping an eye on...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If I restart my game entirely, I assume my pawn shall be condemned to the void?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The greatest power in the game is the almighty Brine

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

My buddy just told me that he can still hire my first pawn from my abandoned save

Oh poo poo, what if I start a new save and hire my old pawn, is that possible...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Broose posted:

I think for my next playthrough when they finally release any big DLC I will get a mod that decreases player XP earned from small mobs (but leaves vocation XP the same). I've just got done exploring everything in Vernworth and about to do the coronation, but I'm already level 40+. The big guys are nothing, and I have a feeling what I meet in the desert will be the same. I don't really have a problem with the difficulty, but I outlevel everything so quickly just checking every nook and cranny.

Yeah you know what, I think I might get a mod like this too, on top of the difficulty tweaks and class/augment rebalances. You do level up very quickly if you're doing full clears and fighting to kill everything you encounter instead of just running.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Random browsing had me find out that apparently, grain of salt and all that, that enemies pre-Battahl should cap at level 30, so whatever modded XP gain nerf settings should land you at that figure. Unsure if -25% XP is enough, maybe a full third or even half?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Probably the optimal melee fit for me is Warfarer split between Thief and Warrior, with the thief attack dash and grapple pull and Warrior's rising charged attack. Can deal with nearly nything in the game, with lots of mobility, a dodge, and can pull harpies down.

I'd try a Warrior/Archer build in order to deal with anything (the former build can't do much against flying bosses that stay flying for extended periods), but I will never be a controller shooter guy.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gamers Use Pawn Quest Glitch To Make FREE Portcrystals (Capcom DLC in Shambles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
A calm pawn going gently caress STRATEGY, WE ARE MIGHTY AND WILL CRUSH ALL BEFORE US