Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm nowhere near as far along as other folks in this chat it seems but I'm plugging along. I'm level 21, just tried doing The quest with the Dullahan. Here's how that went.

1) Get the quest. Think 'a Dullahan sounds really hard, I should wait until later'
2) See the quest is timed.
3) Try to rush to the quest location.
4) Fight a Minotaur. Die.
5) Fight a Minotaur. Win.
6) Run from a Drake.
7) Run from a Griffon.
8) Fall in the water about 10 times trying to get the area where the fight is actually happening because the part of the map where the quest is is surrounded by water, can't be properly mapped and has the visibility of a snowstorm at night."
9) Clear out an entire cave thinking it's a route to where the fight is happening.
10) Get to the Dullahan, fail to hurt it in any meaningful way. Quest NPC dies.
11) Revive the wrong NPC with a wakestone.
12) Revive the right NPC with a wakestone. I'm out of wakestones.

Also the King of the Beggers quest is the dullest poo poo ever. Sat around and waited for him in the town square just to miss him running off to the bar. Hang around in the bar for 15 minutes until he runs off. Then I promptly lose him and can't reload to try again.

This game can be hard to love sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I have been stuck with 'The Ornate Box' quest forever because I bought the box but can not find Sven. You wouldn't think it would be that difficult. The radius is not large.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So back to 'An Ornate Box'. I just realized who Sven is. Now that I've done the main quests involving him does that mean he's in the palace and can't be found at his original location?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My today with DD2.

~Realize that the coronation made 'An Ornate Box' uncompletable because Sven is no longer in the capital.
~Get informed that Sven wants to see me in the capital.
~See Sven in the castle. Obviously can't give him the box.
~Go to the Border Town. Rest at the Inn, get ready to go north.
~Keep dying to some large skeleton with a greatsword who would occasionally decide 'yo gently caress this sorcerer' and one shot me.
~Realize that I hadn't actually accomplished anything since my last rest. Go to 'Last Inn Save'
~Reload into my house, losing the entire session. Apparently I don't know the difference between a Tavern and an Inn or something. Apparently buying everybody a round isn't resting at an Inn despite it costing money and having a little bed symbol on the map. (So what good is it?).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Reive posted:

That sucks, but yeah taverns have a frothy beer mug icon, inns have a bed icon, I think there's one place where an inn is situated on the second floor of a tavern so that might have been your confusion.

I am now really glad I never reloaded at inn rest at the period of the game before I got my house and only rested at campfires (because it's cheaper and more useful).

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 31, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I just maxxed out the sorcerer and Warrior vocations for my main and pawn respectively and now I don't know what to do. I think I want to try either Magic Archer or Mystic Spearhead on my main but I think I want to keep my pawn either a fighter or a warrior. Any suggestions? Any other classes I should grab feats from? Any pitfalls?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

In a lot of ways DD2 feels like the devs just wanted a do-over of DD1. So much is just so drat similar. I was surprised (in a bad way) at how much carried over.
Dark Arisen showed progress from the original game. I would not have been at all hype for this game if Dark Arisen didn't exist. This feels like a regression from Dark Arisen.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My 2 favorite things that happened to me today in DD2.

1) Trying to find a house I can buy in Bakbattahl I accidentally trip over a quest trigger near the jail so I take the opportunity to check it out. After confirming that Hugo from the bandit quest is a giant loving idiot baby I learn that the forbidden spell research institute is connected to the Gaol so I go over there figuring it would be a stealth job. The game certainty ACTS like you're not supposed to be there until one dude just runs up to you and yells 'HEY ARISEN! Can I show you this super cool story! I think it's about the Medusa!'

2) I try to use the ropeway station. First time is fine. Second time my main pawn walks off a clip so I get to ride the gondola to its location with the lovely soundtrack of 'a pawn dying'. I touch down. I charge a group of Toxic Saurians despite being at like 60% loss because the hell I'm paying 9999G for an inn room. I die because I'm stupid. Luckily when I reloaded the game reloaded my idiot pawn next to me so I could revive him instead of having to find a waystone.

3) I really hosed up "Trouble on the Cape" So I went on the rescue mission with the NPCs. I took a wrong turn and wound up at the bottom of a dead end room. Which would be fine but the NPCs didn't follow me out. Whatever. I go the right way, rescue the guy myself. On my way back I immediately run into the corpse of one of the guys who followed me in. I have no idea what he's doing there and I don't care because gently caress him he's an idiot and not worth a wakestone. I bring the guy I rescued to the surface. But now I have a singular quest mark on 'Mell', a guard who didn't follow me in and had nothing to do with the quest, and the yellow circle in the city where I'm supposed to bring the guy I rescued, except he stopped following me when we got out of the cave and even picking him up and carrying him there didn't trigger anything. I decided to look up the quest online and what is being described online is completely different.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Lone Badger posted:

There's also a cheap inn in town. You don't have to go to the 5-star one.

oh. I did not know that.

Also: Dear Armor Vendor in Bakbattahl. I have spent like 70k at your store. Stop talking to me like I'm some two-bit cutpurse.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Phlegmish posted:

I just used epic gamer meta reasoning to figure there must be a buyable house in Bakbattahl, and immediately went and sought it out as soon as I arrived the first time. Didn't stay in either of the inns even once, least of all the extortionate one.

Me trying to find the house led to the first adventure in my previous post.

I feel like this is the discussion I'm routinely having with DD2.
Me: This game is pretty good.
DD2: You think I'm pretty good huh? Well how about NOW! Does something really embarrassing
Me: Stop trying to make me hate you.
DDS: NEVER!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok so I suck at killing Drakes. I can't do enough damage to them and every time they deal damage to me I lose a huge chunk of Loss meter so I end the fight at like 75% loss while my pawns have barely any.
I'm a Mystic Spearhead so my defense is not great but that seems excessive.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jack Trades posted:

How far into the game are you? There is a specific point in the main story where it wants you to kill a Drake and before that they're meant to be too strong for you to deal with.

Also, an easy way to deal with large monsters in general is to get a Sorcerer pawn.

I am at that point in the game specifically at the point where i need 15 Draconic Essence or whatever that stuff is called. Level 42. I have a sorcerer in the party.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Coolness Averted posted:

Between the note she leaves on your door after max affection and the way she gossips about the way the lecherous noble guy got poisoned I got some creepy vibes from the watchhead's wife.

That lady is rad. gently caress that noble dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Broken Cog posted:

Because while the combat, the pawn system, and the general atmosphere in this game is great, everything else is extremely half-baked.

Sometimes it's less 'half baked' and more 'let's bake a pie with shoe leather instead of crust'.