Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I hope there are more vocations than they've shown off so far because I haven't side hide nor hair of my favorite magic cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

lih posted:

watching someone stream it early and the pawns are basically constantly spouting inane dialogue, just with more variety than dd1

Truly the best part of the game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

pmchem posted:

apparently some leakers have already beat the game and are in NG+. anyone worried this game will be kinda short?

The first game was also fairly short if literally all you did was speed through the story as fast as you possibly could

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Badly Jester posted:

Pawn voices seem to be tied to inclinations. I'm not missing anything? That's going to be annoying initially.

It might just be me, but the voices in this game sound kind of bad in general? Each vocation has like two voices, a masculine and feminine sounding one, that just kind of gets pitch shifted like six times and to me at least they all just have this really low quality echo to them that none of the other sounds in the character creator have.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm still criminally undecided on which set of my characters to pick from. Cat, human, or thanks to inspiration from this thread: some green people I get to pretend are goblins.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TheMostFrench posted:

Excited to see how racist our pawns are preprogrammed to be. Can they direct their interdimensional hatred towards player appearance?

It's a shame we couldn't alter tooth size for massive underbites. I think that massive level of face alterations will be next gen tech.

Weird thing to be excited for

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

alright i have decided, here are my boys

Why are you playing as my middle school teachers

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Wow the release date really crept up on me, I'm going to have to open up the character creator and get to town deciding who or what I want to import tomorrow.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

lmao who needs to target when you have big sword

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm eager to at least try warfarer despite some of the downsides it sounds like it has

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sloober posted:

bad advice. dont listen to this guy

it was always funny as a warrior in DD to power up lash and being able to instantly pivot to whatever direction you wanted as you crash it down

It was also very fun to spend like, a billion years charging that poo poo up to full and then just obliterate whatever stupid chimera ran into it. I can't wait to do it again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

That's right, keep making those Mage and Archer Pawns.
That's exactly how I'm going to make bank on pimping out my thirst-trap Warrior Pawn.

I always make mine a mage because casting spells sucked in the first game and once you had a pawn with good knowledge they were pretty much perfect at nailing weaknesses.

Mr.Sloth posted:

Waiting for the day 1 long hair beastwren mod so I can have my cat in the game for real.

I couldn't find the options to make my character's eyes look far enough in opposing directions or the ears big enough to replicate mine.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

They better have readily available consumables or a tactic like 'there's a core/segment that can be smashed to kill it" if they're gonna throw in the dumbest of d&disms like relatively common physical resistance or immunity.

DD1 was great about making martial classes really fun. "lol this is immune to your attacks" is anti-fun.

DD1 had your pawns be really good about buffing your weapons with magic and I plan to make mine good at it again if I can

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Have any of the streamers talked about the keyboard controls? When I booted up the character creator the game was like "WOW YOU BEST PLUG IN A GAMEPAD" but on the steam page it says mostly playable and might require a keyboard.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

People being worried about enemies you can't damage with physical attacks seem to be forgetting that there were absolutely enemies you couldn't damage with pure physical attacks in DD1 too. This is not a new feature and the fact that you totally forgot about it suggests that it's not actually that big a deal because there were so many ways to mitigate it that you probably did it by accident.

Yeah I legitimately can't think of any because that's how easy it was. More annoying for melee classes are flying monsters and poo poo that's just out of your reach. Which is why I look forward to warfarer.

Jack Trades posted:

It's probably exactly like the first game in that it's playable with kb+m but works much better with a controller.

That's been my assumption, so I guess I'll stick with it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Same. I want it to be like the first game where you enter a temple or something, they comment on how it's a sacred place we should treat with reverence, before immediately grabbing and smashing every urn, vase, pot, or crate they can find in search of loot

You smash things yourself? That's what the pawn is for.

Throwing them at the pottery I mean.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

explosivo posted:

Official Xbox controllers are less than $50 on Amazon and are the best PC controllers you can buy imo. There's other options cheaper than that too if you don't want to go whole hog.

I'm using one of those silly xbox elite gamepads. It's not in the best of condition and has some analog drift but it's held up well otherwise.

Vintersorg posted:

Can you sorta just stumble through DD1? I am playing through it on PS5 since its including in the middle tier and just sorta wacking my way through things. Missing lock on after being conditioned on it for so long.

Aside from missing a few obscure/tedious quests and minmaxy bullshit you can basically go through the first game blind and have pretty much no issues.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Just kill everything. New game design philosophy unlock: the more monsters and NPCs you kill, the more you're rewarded with framerate and gameplay improvements. It's only when you finally beat the final boss that you unlock a consistent 60FPS, to lord it over the empty land.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kefa posted:

well if they can deliver at least half of that I'd be okay with the lovely performance
just feels like they still could've gone lower on the visuals to compensate at least a little bit
I'd be okayish with a 30 fps lock on console.

People are already really upset that this game gets an inconsistent 30fps looking as it does. If it looked any "worse" it'd basically be video game hitler. You'd be seeing people saying poo poo like "this is literally a PS2 game!" all over the place.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oblivion was just a kingsfield-like anyway :shepface:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Whichever one of you made Garfield, that dude owns. He kept running ahead and showing me the best places to pick plants and kill goblins. I taught him where a seeker medallion thing was. Also the performance issues seem to be pretty exaggerated? My computer isn't top of the line, I was worried I'd barely run this game - if at all - but it's running just fine, I get the occasional frame jitters but I spent four hours killing goblins and no issues at all.

This is my cat, her code is 305RG841TMS8.

Lord Packinham posted:

Yea, I love the game but I’ll never go to bat for microtransactions, I don’t care how worthless they are.

There's already someone who's made a cheat for RC. This game doesn't seem to have any anti-cheat on it at all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Did grab always do nothing against bandits? It feels really weird that it doesn't affect them in literally any way.

I remember it being really hard to grab anything but the most basic bandits you one shot.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I see a few Thieves but I can never find an Archer.

I just travel with a squad of three mages so they can burn anything and everything to death roughly three seconds after it moves

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I had three beastwren pawns with me and one, and only one, of them just constantly kept chiming in about how "It seems the arisen prefers the company of beastwren!" My character is also a cat. The other two pawns kept telling her to shut up, first in polite ways like "To each their own, I guess?" then eventually more blunt ways like "That has naught to do with this, let's move on." I love the pawn chatter and conversations in this game. Then while we were randomly walking through the goblin infested woods she chimed in about how one arisen she served with before slept around with a lot of different people :shepface:

Khanstant posted:

Haha I guess someone did a quest with my Garfield bc as soon as I rested and updated him he was like "follow me" and I almost thought he was bugged but I kept following and following and he lead me right to a quest I forgot I had and he knew some stuff about the area it seemed. Cool!

Which garfield is yours? I think there's many. I used one for a bunch last night and he's a good cat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Big round orange head and belly and skill arms and legs, mage, calm. I think I'm 35 or 36 on the spreadsheet, but my steam name is GeorgeRRMartinLutherBurgerKingJr.

I e been using the same 2 goon pawns and they're starting to comment on it haha. Tbh I'd feel weirdly rude dismissing one of them if only bc it's a steam friend, but I'm already thief so I don't need another.

Oh I think that's yours then because we're already steam friends. A good garfield.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone tried running a party without a mage? I feel like you just absolutely need a dude who can heal, and sadly that means I'm either running a party with a single melee fighter while I'm running archer and my pawn sorcerer for augment farming, or I'll have to switch my pawn back to mage in order to keep two melee fighters in play

Eat lots of berries? Half my weight is in apples right now and I had to stop turning them into brews so I don't become too heavy to keep going.

Anyway, is there any way to alter what's on your item quick menu? Down on the d-pad is your stamina restoration item I guess but it wants me to eat my precious princess potatoes and not the regular garbage ones and I don't want to accidentally waste it. Furthermore: I'm not a huge fan that you can't see how long you have left on your items before they decay. Or that my pawns sometimes just stop following me so wolves can jump my rear end while they stand around congratulating one another on the apples they just found.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Also I feel like I'm doing something wrong, climbing on enemies kind of sucks now? Pretty much any time they move you get locked into a really long "grab hold so you don't fly off" animation that consumes like half of my stamina and also you can't just jump off of them during this animation, so if they do that while I'm at half stamina I get to just fall off and take most of my health in damage then get hit and die. Also it takes most of my stamina just to reach the head of a cyclops or whatever.

EDIT: also I just noticed this game is doing a darksouls loving thing. Every time I "load from last save" my health is lower and lower. Lmao that's awful.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 23, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lakbay posted:

Thief seems to be the dedicated climbing on monsters class as I do a billion damage with Twin Fangs and barely lose stamina when climbing the monster.

Also I got my first portcrystal and I was looking for a permanent one in Sacred Arbor but I couldn't find one, is there one there? The internet is giving me dubious results

More and more I'm liking the idea of playing warfarer if I ever figure out how to unlock it.

Earlier a harpy attacked me, I did a jumping slash and spiked it off a cliff into the water and all the pawns I was with flipped their poo poo over this amazing new technique I discovered. I love the pawns in this game so much.

Also for how angry people were about the slimes not taking physical damage, they seem to do literally no damage and exist more as a hazard to annoy you

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I keep losing pawns without noticing it.
I think they keep slipping and falling into the water and the game doesn't even point it out to you when it happens.

Pawns long to swim.

I love this game. Also I threw this pig at another pig.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Is there any way to zoom the camera out? It feels like it's just like, a tiny bit too zoomed in so I can never really guard at the right time because I can never see the enemy attacking me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

explosivo posted:

Yes, camera settings.

Thank you, I'm probably stupid for not thinking to look but I'll check that out next time I play.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man everyone and their mother seems to have found the Thief maister and I still haven't found ANY maisters, including any of the hybrid vocation teachers... (besides the fighter one the game literally points out to you but he didn't teach me anything and I dunno how to get him to do so)

Maybe I should actually do any of the main quests at this point instead of randomly exploring and doing sidequests.

I found the fighter meister guy in the first town you come across, talking to him was a plot thing that I literally could not avoid doing if I wanted to leave the immediate area.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

My pawns, literally every single time I walk past the same ladder we've climbed before: "ARISEN, LOOK, A LADDER!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

recruit my big stupid woman if you want everything around you to die (I just added myself to the spreadsheet too)

also photo mode kinda sucks, can you really not move the camera more than in a circle around your main guy???

She looks rad, I want her wolf hat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nancy posted:

Spoiler for details without giving away the whole bit: there's a side quest later that asks you to return to the spot you picked up your first Seeker's Token & return under a time limit, if you don't you can't progress to part 2 of the quest.

Mine was easy cause it was the one in the little drop down between the border outpost and Melve that you run past in the beginning of the game.

Where can I find advanced vocations beyond the first two? I thought the elf Arborist would lead to Magic Archer but no dice.

I hate it. I remember vaguely where mine was, but I hate it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TeaJay posted:

I just got my first Seeker token from the big rear end headless statue right outside Melve near the old woman and her apprentice quest. Should be easy to remember.

I mean, I'm meant to talk to Ser Whatever at the gates of Melve and head to the capital with him, but I just keep finding stuff in these starter woods!

e: Got killed by a loving slime

How do you start that quest? I found that hut and they just kept complaining about eachother at me.

Also how did you get killed by a slime? My main strategy for fighting those things is to just stand in them and mash attack, they do nothing to me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TeaJay posted:

Well, they are immune to physical attacks, and once my elemental weapon buff ran out, they just slimed me and I was "caught" in them and got stunlocked and died. It probably didn't help I had huge death penalty racked up. Eventually managed to get through the cave.

To start the quest, the old woman just leaves after a while and goes to the hill where the big statue is, I could talk to the girl when she was gone and she started the quest. She does mention to bring the grimoires when the granny is not around, so maybe it even fails if you don't?

I'm traveling with Ser Gregor now and he said we were supposed to get an ox-cart, but it's nowhere to be seen. I remember others talking about an ox-cart, so is this actually a consequence of me dawdling around before going on his quest or is it just a scripted thing?

Oh okay, I thought they somehow had like a secret damage move or something or there were surprise variants that could poison you or some poo poo :tinfoil: they can be a problem like that, yeah. They also slow you down if you're trying to fight the goblins behind them. I kind of like that approach to slime design? That they, themselves, aren't something that will kill you but they're a pretty dangerous obstacle you can kill and it adds an element of picking who to prioritize in dangerous fights.

Thanks, though, I'll have to run back to that hut then, maybe granny's outside now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I really hope they get rid of the life drain thing on reload because it's kind of obnoxiously large. I died to a really goofy miscalculation on my part, and when I reloaded 25% of my health was just taken away. It's not a very fun mechanic in this game at all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Just camp before continuing?

I was at full health. Then I hosed up and the game took away 25% of my health as a gently caress you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Then don't gently caress up, or use one of the anti-gently caress up items, or just go back and rest at a camp.

Okay so we're in the phase of release where even the shittiest mechanics are to be defended like your life depends on it.

Volte posted:

You can also just use a Wakestone after you die and you'll get your full health back. I wouldn't waste them all the time but if you're deep in a cave and your health loss is terminal, it's an option.

I could, but that doesn't really address the issue of the mechanic being dumb in the first place.

Calidus posted:

I found 3 dead NPCs in cave that I could rez via wake stone. It was very tempting.

I'd do it. What if they had cool secrets to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Or alternatively other people might have a different opinion that you.

You didn't give a different opinion. You gave the lovely snarky "Git Gud" style remark every jackass has since dark souls came out. You took issue with my opinion, then gave me poo poo for it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Game is about embracing mistakes and rolling with the punches. It’s a choice to make dying actually punishing and it’s honestly a cool handicap that teaches you to be better (because dying isn’t fun!). If this genuinely bothers you this much wait a week or so and there will be a mod to outright remove the penalty or let you heal your max health back outside of camp (I expect the latter to come first). REFramework has been updated for the game so I expect the modding scene to take off properly now.

Like this game punishes you in all sorts of ways. Quests will outright fail and go away if you take too long in one area, you can lock yourself out of content by focusing on other content. How you prioritize your time and explore / play the game is a big part of it.

I played the first game, I'm used to quests failing and poo poo, hell I'm even fine with the health loss thing. I just don't like the health loss on restore because it can, potentially, lead to lovely situations like I was in last night where my game auto-saved after I left a cave and as I was heading back to town a cyclops showed up and killed me, when I reloaded I had barely enough health to take one hit from the thing, then I was in prime one hit kill territory. The only thing I could do was either load my last inn save or just not get hit.