Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
really debated about making Undyne again since playing through DD1 with her chargin' in and causin' ruckuses was profoundly fun, maybe one of my favorite game experiences of all time... also whenever I logged in I'd need to spend a few minutes acceptin' kind words n gifts from folks recruitin' her, such a lovely mechanic haha

but I've never actually engaged with DD's magic much, so this time I think a nerdy lil mage who will give lots of helpful advice I can make fun of and ignore is the right path

ralsei's time to shine!

or uh, RALPH if ya use the filter, which cracks me up

06IFOTXMRSSI
tiny lil babby mage on PC, also do they really mix together 0's, O's, I's, and 1's?? jeez haha

please teach him many insights for his guidebook, in our short time together he's already learned MASSIVE LOADS from danny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Imaginary Friend posted:

Hah, your Devito looks better than mine. Where can I find those glasses?
no clue! he was a friend list pawn that just came barrelin' outta da riftstone ether, wavin' a gun and talkin' about his magnum dong

... on closer inspection

now that's ingenuity

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 22, 2024

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

are there any loadouts folks particularly like for mages?

they seem like they always have their healing utility, and the aoe haste feels great to me (I'm maining archer + been pulling in another archer so we spam machine gun arrows and liquidate enemies with it haha, my first battle with a gryphon I just ended up feeling bad for it...), but are there any other standout spells or doodads?

been generally going with haste + fire buff + upgraded frigor + upgraded lightning and the coverage seems to be nice, but man attacker pawns are so much easier to setup haha

also I was worried about stamina (i made the largest man possible), but I just stand next to ralsei and they'll immediately hug me up if I'm exhausted. some incredible power of friendship goin' down

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 22, 2024

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

dang woke up to a nice lil chunk of RC so finally got da boy his glasses (and a big fancy hat to hide 'em behind)

to celebrate I set his pawn quest as 10k gold for killing a cyclops, does anyone know how exactly that works? does it charge me for every completion?
if so, uh, I guess make me poor??

06IFOTXMRSSI loves to heal and hold hands n make 'em hot

there's no dyeing right? if anybody sees a red scarf or green pointy hat n robe, please alert me haha

unrelated but very cool experience:
got my first drake kill last night, and my first attempt that ultimately failed at 1/10th of their final health bar after using literally every consumable (every apple counted since my health loss-reduced down to like a sliver and they were full heals haha) was probably the whitest knuckle gaming I've ever done. just a constant scramble and I refused to let a single trusty pawn die, so each meteor spam would force a team wipe and recovery, all in pitch darkness. going into my inventory and seeing i was outta apples was devastating

was able to get 'em on the second attempt much more effectively once I knew their moves, really can't beat DD for the party vs boss playouts

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

My pawn has never been summoned even though he's level 15. Maybe giving him Chirugeon will help.
in all honesty the best way to get summoned is almost certainly 'friendlist a buncha folks' and be decently leveled since that makes the RC cost free. when DD:DA came out on steam I friendlisted an SA thread of folks (who I never bothered unfriending) and I assume that's like all of my hires now really. trying to actually go through threads n docs for codes is pretty cumbersome compared to 'best 0 RC pawn i can just click n spawn', unless it's a REALLY appealing concept

unfortunately for getting randomly hired it feels like it's gonna be pretty rough n infrequent, especially since they also stacked up 'official' pawns and that's on top of like, influencer pawns who some players are going to stick with constantly and reduce overall pawn uses

imo they should have added an additional system: the pawns that get spawned in the world should return you special bonuses too. I've had battles where they've massively helped me and I wanted to thank 'em, but there's no convenient way to do that unfortunately. that bit of 'my pawn did see other worlds and learn things' as an underpinning even if they didn't get hired woulda felt great

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

I got real excited for a second after finding a dye merchant in Battahl

but sadly it's only for tattoos, hair, skin sorta stuff? and on doublecheck there is indeed no clothe dyeing options unfortunately. given pawn fashion they really shoulda leaned into dyes and cosmetic slots imo

on the plus side I got some nice green dye if I ever wanna turn ralsei into shrek

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

I swear I waited hours for this goddamn quince to ripen (very important an old man gets a ripe quince, I Get it), and a pawn I offhandedly summoned to help kill some headless bastard logistician'd it to themselves and ATE it

seriously considering an inn reload over a fukken quince

edit: do NOT hire this pawn they are a QUINCE THIEF they did it before they will do it again

of course

Inclination: Serene Calm as they knowingly pluck a vital quince and consume it whole (doesn't even taste it) just to see an old man die

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 24, 2024

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

so shines a good deed, in a weary world

thank ya so much Bloomington!

to pass on some kindness,

pmchem posted:

this pawn has been good murderizing goblins and harpies. digging thief so far

but... pawn quests are a thing? I need someone to hire my pawn for them to complete quests, I guess. come get a free wakestone

Wonder Woman
(level 9 thief)
Simple
Pawn ID X3AZ5KDK96GB
edit: platform PC/steam
if ya hit the inn ww should now be even better at murderin'

also I've hired shaggy 3 times so far and he's always IMMEDIATELY zoinked into brine, but i'm hopeful this time he'll go the distance for da sweet sweet reward

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Shoehead posted:

Everdread I guess you can be a guinea pig for this but I really wonder if that 10000g is going to get duplicated for everyone who took Ralsei out and killed an ogre or just the first person
it seemed like everybody got it, since each showed the mission being completed + 10k reward for 'em?

I wasn't super scrutinizing but it appears the single initial charge covered all of it, so I think it duplicates those rewards

I'm debating about putting up a portcrystal lol

fakeedit: actually you can't? the really primo stuff they must not let ya pawn-mission, no portcrystal or ferrystone (though you CAN put up the fake partcrystal and ferristone haha), no goldbugs, no sorc quest tomes, etc

BUT, it WILL let me put up an extra forager tome, so doing that for cyclops and seein' if it dupes a bunch out:

06IFOTXMRSSI

they're level 39 so if folks wanna friend me on steam for da free recruit friend code 30298569

edit: if ya do get a tome give a heads up (at least to check if it's multiplyin' heh), would be nice to know if there's a limit or it's time based or what

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 24, 2024

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

having played quite a bit, elfland and catland not having dedicated portcrystals is so incredibly stingy, probably the single biggest marge-hmmm to me for restrictive design that ya can conveniently pay a few bucks to help alleviate

like if you don't wanna do the main quest and instead clandestine enter battahl (which is totally supported and an interesting option!) it's sorta inconceivably inconvenient without a portcrystal to place, so without paid dlc the only option is to do elf stuff but there's no way to know that'll be a reward for it

it's miserly to the point of inhibiting grand adventures and possibly sourin' them, which is a real bummer imo

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Oh my god I just realized the number of things you could gently caress with using the (spoiler for the border checkpoint town) forgery system!! Like no, I will not give you back that thing you lent me .
forgeries are incredibly cool in DD2, the 'non-key-ness' of quest items and sheer number of quests that do interesting things with 'em (with unique responses and outcomes) feels more dedicated to the concept than any other game I've seen tackle it. some designer had a notebook full of 'why couldn't i do THAT, which would cause THIS' from other games and implemented every one of 'em here haha

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Play posted:

I mean you can easily get to Battahl from checkpoint village or the main city. And so far the elf city doesn't have that many quests. Still, I managed to find two portcrystals and put them in exactly those spots. If I find another it'll probably go somewhere around the starting area up north or maybe south batthar, not sure how much land is left to discover there.
it's not so much about gettin' there, what I mean is that trying to go and do Battahl early (and using the city as a homebase) seems really tedious without a portcrystal, if not just to return back to after a foray into areas that would likely be overleveled for a player who rushed for that. the city having a portcrystal of its own or there being one more easily accessible would go a long way to opening up that route, I think right now you either do the main quest for its portcrystal or the elf questlines for theirs which feels just a bit too limited and foreknowledge-y

40 hours in and I have 3 portcrystals, 2 feel sorta mandatory for the mentioned hubs, so 1 Free Choice which generally feels best being carried and placed during exploration and quests for a return point

without the main quests it'd be possibly 1 from elftown or 0, which is brutal heh

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

pmchem posted:

do you lose the 10K gold for every time someone unique hires the pawn and does the quest? like could you go bankrupt?
I wasn't paying super close attention but it didn't seem to debit multiple times? just the initial I think

pretty sure it duplicates gold / items to however many people go for it, so i'm interested to hear if multiple people got the foraging specialization tome from my current pawn mission

06IFOTXMRSSI

also, can you do a pawn's mission multiple times? or does it say something like 'already completed' if you dismiss + rehire again?

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Is there any reason you'd want to use Logistician on your pawn? Having them combine stuff on their own sounds like a nightmare! I deliberately let fruits age do I can turn them into dried fruit, for example.

Edit: Wait, is there no way to change pawn specialization after you've used the tome? I thought the tome just unlocked it as an option, but that's loving dumb if it's the only way to change specialization.
logistician is just great if you have a general overabundance of quinces... but I personally try to avoid it, maybe it's nice if ya don't wanna think about inventory in general but still get some additional benefit and dig the notion of pawns having more capabilities?

and yeah each specialization tome is a single 'turn specialization to this' consumable, nothing further, only use them if you want that specialization going forward as you'd need another tome to go back to the previous one ya had. I don't like it! at the very least it could be made more clear

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 25, 2024

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

wanted to get the +HP augment for ralsei and man... that's just darling

now lets just put the best statted armor on 'em and oh. oh no

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

i spent so much time armoring him up like a horrible lil gimp, and it took one fight for him to unlock the augment haha

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Tabletops posted:

just an fyi you can get the same pawn quest reward multiple times

so if you find a pawn that has a trade for like a goblin horn and they'll give you 10,000 gold you can hire them, give them the item and get the gold, send them back and do it again lol
I set ralsei to trade one waking powder for 10k, if anybody wants to take advantage of dis. potion merchant in main town (and many others) should have a stack of 9 right there

06IFOTXMRSSI

lvl 46 so feel free to friend me on steam to get free recruit 30298569

please help wake up dis sleepy boy

I looked through da possible reward items, this seems like (if someone will at least gift you one back) it'll allow duping of any armor weapon ring etc you have in your possession? it doesn't allow bugs n seekers n ferrystones n portcrystals, but you can put in as many as you have of allheals elixirs? this seems incredibly broken haha

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 26, 2024

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

I think I'm going to have to call it on trying to find my first seeker token, I swear I had two on hand going into heyverncity and I had used the oxcart from melve to get there initially, but even with a large swathe of that route unexplored and checking all the remaining areas pre-vern using the interactive map, I just couldn't find the sucker. if I had actually adventured outta vern before the first that's a big ol rip haha

going through the initial areas I had a lotta 'ooh this must be it' moments which were actually for goldbugs, those feel a lot more rewarding and memorable

I woulda sworn the first token (or at least an early one) I got was on top of the melve ballista tower, since I had seen it on the interactive map and went up there a few times + rotated the sucker, but when I went there just now I had somehow missed it completely?? I really wonder if it was somehow bugged for me, because it was so immediately obvious now I can't actually imagine missing it 3 times

saw a few people remark in different places 'it straight up isn't there' and tokens needing reloads to appear so I'm honestly wondering if there's some token glitchiness and if so double, triple rip haha

oh well, apparently it's fine to miss one question? just no specific chest with 3 ferrystones and miss the achievement which I don't care about so not gonna fret it too much

it'd be great if a future patch implemented a zelda-ish 'arisens path' concept, that's a fun feature and would be IDEAL for remembering the early journey for this exact scenario heh

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 26, 2024

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Everdraed posted:

forget all dis poo poo
holy hell it was by the statue in verncity

thinking about it I distinctly remember going 'ah christ, I musta missed an unbelievable number of these so far' when I found it haha, riddle of rumination indeed

now to never pick up another token again, and see how that affects doing the quest in ng+'s

edit: the quest item is pawn giftable... I assume it would still complete the quest / it'd be possible to help somebody out if they had missed a different riddle already and you could send yours as your one miss? or imagine that situation, but you give them a forgery.....

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 26, 2024

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

could anyone do me a big favor and hire my pawn and gift a pointed fang?
06IFOTXMRSSI (pawn quest is 10k for a waking powder so feel free to grab that)

I can't seem to find a source for 'em dropping after looking quite a bit, random guides say it should be from wargs in Battahl but they seem to spawn as garms for me and only give sinister fangs, dunno if that's a level'd thing or wrong info and there's a better place to get 'em

it'd be really nice if 'reward' was visible in the pawn search menus (among other info), going through a big group individually to check is a pain haha

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks a bunch, saves me a lot of trouble. Holler if you ever need anything.
yo duder if you set that to a pawn quest for a cheap item (waking powder or whatever) i'll make a bunch of 'em and send ya back a few

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Tabletops posted:

i managed to figure out how to beat the sphinx without using the unmaking arrow, if anyone else has had trouble with it. the clue was pretty obvious in retrospect but just wanted to let people know that:

you don't need to use the unmaking arrow
as far as i can tell, the battle isn't timed. or if it is it's very generous.

if anyone wants a clue or the outright answer i'll post it
spoiler post that sucker, I was pretty sure it was following the depicted in-game sphinx art where ya only attack the hindquarters? since they all show keeping the bust pristine but scarring the body to hell but even reloading a save a few times I couldn't get it to work so just went with da good ol regifting strat

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Tabletops posted:

it was indeed.

ahhh, okay, I was sorta assuming it wouldn't be too punitive on pawns' damage (I probably did 90%+ of damage annihilating her backside with erupting shots) but that was probably a dumb line of thinking given it's dragon's dogma haha

given how you are immediately thrown into that fight and pawns will jump in, that's honestly a little too foreknowledge specific and unforgiving to me, unless waiting will totally prevent all attacking I suppose?

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 29, 2024

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

what captured me forcibly and distinctively playing DD:DA (never played without the expansion) was pretty much

1. experiencing an adventuring group of helpful and entertaining pawns enabled by me and my friends' creativity
2. actively climbing all over giant goddamn monsters to savagely whale on their weakspots
3. exploring a world that has intriguing intricacies (especially in quests and npcs) that, whatever the actual implementations are, feel like they enable an impressive possibility space

I think DD2 nailed the poo poo outta those core concepts just like the first, and while I'd have any number of personal opinions and tweaks on its friction design and mechanical conveniences, none of it seemed so off-putting to me personally that it hampered the goodness of those core elements. pretty much I just want more content and diversity to engage with them even more, love dat core

I really, really hope they do something along the lines of DA, that they've gotten the resources to pursue that and won't be dissuaded from bothering by a maybe not-so-down-for-it generalized response, as much as I understand and get where that comes from and think there's a lotta validity in those feelings

ain't nuthin' quite like dragon's dogma, for better or for worse haha

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

is DD2 RE:framework stuff stable and mods kosher to use without causing some sorta account / pawn flagging (dunno if that's a thing at all) issue?

if they are I'll probably finish up my playthrough and then mess with 'em in a NG+ world for funsies

f#a# posted:

gotta say, it takes a whole lot of something as a game dev to plop down portcrystals in two out of the three first towns you visit, only to have those be literally the only ones in the game

bakbattahl not having a portcrystal while it DOES have a giant rift crystal despite the generalized hatred of pawns there? feels like it shoulda been graffiti'd up and covered in garbage you have to clear off to use it absolutely felt weird to me

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

oh that was a big question I had, if you start an entirely new game, is the old char + pawn nuked / removed from online hiring? or is the pawn left forever out in da ether without a way to retrieve gifts?

and how does any of that interact with making a backup save of a char and copying it back over?

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Third World Reagan posted:

There is a steam guide somewhere about backing up saves
yeah backing up saves locally is no problem, there's a win64_save data folder ya can copy elsewhere for safekeeping and there seems to be no issue with pasting and loading up either auto or inn saves as long as ya disable cloud stuff (no doubt that's exploitable if ya wanna bother gifting off big ticket items and reloading heh). also somebody made a lil save manager tool somewhere for convenience too

but I haven't seen any specifics on doing that to preserve a playthrough while starting a new one, then trying to go back to the old and what it'll do for networked elements like pawns? I imagine with the actual button now folks will test it out soon enough, my guess is that whenever you rest at an inn it uploads your current playthrough data (pawn + arisen) and can only have one at a time, but will prrrrobably update to whatever your current data is? maybe with a 24 hour ban if ya do it repeatedly or screw with things a bunch?

funny enough the 'my pawn will be gone forever?' aspect was actually why I never did another playthrough of DD:DA on PC

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 30, 2024

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

outta curiosity are there any specifics to how the beloved choice plays out?

I was assuming 'last interaction' with a max'd affinity'd NPC (which I think was how DD1 worked?), but I talked to my #1 choice last (who was also the last person I gifted an item to) and it didn't choose 'em. I did talk to them + gift, talk to who I DID get, then talked with the first again? so maybe technically the first time you talk in a day gives some affinity points and that shift of other NPC's points being last set da love and I accidentally whiffed it?

liked 'em both so not a big deal, but if anybody does care about that maybe make sure ya talk / gift ya fave NPC on a fresh day and do no other interactions going into final main quests? though the overall significance seems very minor compared to 1 sadly

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

yeah keeping an eye on the modding situation (and noting ^ holy hell they have a lockon mod already??) I get the feeling it might end up pretty crazy. DD2 feels like an excellent foundation to tweak and expand upon, really interested in the possible modding extent but there's already surprising stuff. encounter randomization and multi-boss spawning (turning the overworld into more of an unmoored vibe) would really shake things up for replay or NG+

waiting to play until a buncha mods are tuned, and possibly an expansion lands, might lead to the best first experience possible

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Awesome I chose to not use a wakestone in the postgame and now all my progress has been removed. This was after spending six hours in the postgame and being almost ready to clear it.
just wanna say that profoundly sucks and they did not make the sudden stakes increase clear at all. if I hadn't seen that exact scenario (save functionality behavior being suddenly drastically changed without being informed) happening to other players I 100% woulda gotten bit myself

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Sea Lily posted:

There's some new caves in the postgame's new areas but I definitely didn't find many, and the one or two I found had pretty normal loot in them. Nothing special or endgamey.
the most notable postgame loot seemed to be 7-8 unique bits of armor (mostly nice hats, includin' an armored crown and ninja mask) that were in chests in the revealed areas

I saw one unmarked, un-interior-mapped tiny lil crypt dungeon that had an entrance at the bottom of an empty lake, which I think had some nice pants? and a skeleton knight

apparently there's a pawn affinity system which if you manage to hit enough affinity with your pawn they can blush in conversation and you get a slightly different variation of the true ending. nothing major, but some neat emotion. talking to pawns, high-fiving them, bringing them to the hotsprings, giving them makeovers all give increasing points, though with cooldowns

ended up installing a few mods, most notably infinite stamina outside of combat which I'll probably never play again without, and true warfarer which is a bit busted (lets ya have armament + 3 unique skills for every vocation) but just wayyy more convenient and fun. I'll probably try to figure out a way to do a new game with it + all vocations unlocked from the start

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

It's peak Dragon's Dogma for this entire system to be hidden from the player. I don't know who would ever organically end up maxing out their affinity with their pawn. Who the gently caress is visiting the hot springs every ten minutes? I didn't do it even once during my first playthrough.
yeah I found out about the pawn affinity stuff from looking at mods, and installed the one that shows current pawn affinity

at the very very end of the world having done all quests and about to finish, ralsei was one haircut away from loving me haha. so gave 'em a fancy coiffure and got da cutscene

Ytlaya posted:

Warfarer seems very nice in general, and seems to basically enable hybrid melee/ranged stuff pretty easily. I played Archer/Thief Warfarer for a while when going to do the elf guy's quest in NG+.

How big is the stat loss from it anyways? Not sure how to tell. Defensive stats at least are probably offset by being able to freely choose whatever you want.
I haven't been able to find good info on the stat difference of warfarer. I'm assuming it's the base stats / level increases which might become more noticeable at higher levels if directly comparing them? but they seemed not too big a deal compared to upgraded weapons and equipment

another note about the true warfarer mod, beyond allowing 3 skills for each specific weapon it also lets you equip ultimate skills. definitely OP, but great fun for chill adventuring with all da options at your disposal. still looking for a method to unlock all vocations from the very start of a NG though, guessing there's a cheat engine way to do that

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

How much cooler is the 300k house?
pic of me and my three pawns enjoying it

it's not worth it, way less convenient location, though it does have a very cool view with an entire (missing?) wall overlooking the ocean. honestly wonder if it's an EB homage because it struck that chord so dang hard haha

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

pawn quests not conveniently showing rewards in da list mode just makes 'em kinda flawed to easily notice and care about, takes a concerted effort and most folks aren't going to bother. when ya know the rewards are limited (you can't give out beetles, portcrystals, tokens, wyrmcrystals, cool quest stuff, etc) ya know anything crazy being asked is gonna be a loser deal / just helping a person out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One other funny pawn behaviour thing is that one time I hired a pawn that kept randomly falling over. It is the only pawn that ever happened to and I have no idea what the deal was. I don't think it was dragonblight since I hadn't even gotten the popup about it yet and I kept them around for a pretty long time, and other than that they were completely normal - no weird out of character dialogue, no clutching at their head, no red eyes or anything, just like, constantly drunk or something.

Jack Trades posted:

I'm pretty sure I had a couple of pawns like that too. They tend to brine themselves.
haha this was almost certainly a mage pawn using their ultimate mage maister skill, celestial paean

it summons a massive holy dome in the air and buffs the hell outta everybody's stamina regen, speed, defense, but as soon as it's done it saps all of the mage's stamina and they forcibly face plant

I've kept it on ralsei for like 60+ hours solely because it's thematically appropriate lol

I got very good at picking them up and carrying 'em right as they start to fall, which will generally skip the fall animation though they'll be a lil woozy when set down