Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SubponticatePoster posted:

And Warfarer's best trait isn't carrying around a bunch of different weapons, it's being able to wear whatever you want :colbert:

:haibrower:

My Warfarer's endgame fashion was on point. Action Pawn on the far right is my main. I ran with nothing but lionesses in my party the whole time :hellyeah:

I played the whole game intending to raise Wilhelmina's affinity right before facing the dragon, but completely forgot.
https://i.imgur.com/j6Bjw1W.mp4

Eini, my beloved :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

I'm 80 hours into the game, right next to the ending, and I'm yet to see the dragonblight.
I started seeing it near the end, and I think I know why. I think it has to do with summoning high level pawns. I was typically summoning about 5 levels ahead and keeping them around until they were 5-10 levels behind, but in the back half I started summoning WAY ahead, like 15 levels, because I liked having a crew stick around for a while before swapping them out. That was when I started getting some sass from my pawns, and when I first got the dragonblight message. Never did end up seeing what it did, but I looked it up after beating the game and I'm sure glad I missed out on that! What a strange mechanic. Seeing the true ending didn't do anything to clarify the dragonblight calamity's whole deal either. If your pawn has a fledgling lesser will of their own, and they're choosing to help you in that final fight, why are they choosing to slaughter a city while you sleep in an inn?

e: If anyone wants to summon my pawn, level 79 Warrior (will always be a warrior): 0NVOP19Q5B04

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 3, 2024

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Shyrka posted:

You're the guy all my pawns kept talking about!

Every time they talked about that in my party i wondered if they were being catty

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I want DD3 to have Schierke-level spells where the cast time is 5 minutes but you conjure up a giant flood that washes away every monster in a mile radius.

Forreal though DD has my favorite implementation of spellcasting in games.

Huge :same:

It's actually the only series I've found so far where i prefer the magic system to the melee one. The melee is incredible, don't get me wrong, but something about the spellcasting and magick bows really grabs me for some reason.

The closest second for me as far as magic systems go is the soulsbornes

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
High Seism is one of my go-to big area damage spells and always on my warfarer. Its damage is way lower than it should be but it's still good enough, and it can take a golem to its final phase in just a few casts, even just 1-2 if you get lucky

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Usually my pawn has positive or neutral things to say, this is the first time I've seen her (politely) talk poo poo lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah? I've always figured they correlate with their experiences. With the exception of that "the Arisen didn't get poo poo done lol" bit, I've heard dialogue from many pawns that align with comments your pawn can make about other arisens.

"always carried a heavy pack" relates to when pawns tell you they would fain carry your burdens (I always kept them at Very Light, and myself hovering around average to heavy)
"tight purse strings" relates to the pawns constantly commenting on your shopping habits
etc.

Haven't yet had any of them go "lol loser" yet though

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

Well, it's possible, but I would consider that to be a best case scenario. I can personally confirm that, at the very least, they make things up when there's not enough to work with otherwise. Someone once hired my pawn just to give them a gift, then immediately sent her back, and when she came back she was all 'I put my skills to good use' or something to that effect, when in reality she hadn't done anything at all.

Interesting! That makes sense i guess. One time my pawn came back saying that they hadn't really accomplished or done anything during their brief visit, i wonder why it didn't give you that

Gonna chalk it up to pawn jank

No Dignity posted:

I think about half of the boss monsters I've fought at this point have denied themselves to the Brine, first Drake fight I could have actually won and it just decides to die and stop me looting it -_-

(Griffon flies into the sea of its own accord)

Masterful work, Arisen! I shall have to tell my own master of this strategy!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Vargs posted:

You don't actually need to do this, fwiw. When I want to get into the castle I just sprint through the front door in normal equipment. The guard tells you that you aren't allowed but won't do anything about it.
Basically

Wiltsghost posted:

Was not expecting this big dude down in the cave.

Good dog

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

toasterwarrior posted:

Any real tricks for handling the Big Dogs? They're not particularly challenging, but they are annoyingly spry and seemingly have a mountain of HP. Reminds me of zombies, but zombos at least eat poo poo from holy damage.

2-3 fully charged saggittates to the head usually does it, or spamming high seism to keep them off balance + burst damage while your pawns tear them to shreds

E: high seism works surprisingly well for harpies when they start circling within 5-10 m or so off the ground

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
share the love imo. i kept my dragonblighted main all the way to the end, almost certainly spreading it to the other pawn that she hadn't caught it from. I thought this was why the true ending happened the way it did and had to check afterward

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

No it's not that I don't want other pawns to get infected, I just want to see it progress to its final stage at least once.

The people of Bakbattahl are anti-pawn racists and I will give them a reason to be racist when my pawn blows up their city

oh it works on The Ring rules? i thought it was like an std where they'd pass it on but still have it. that explains some things!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Warfarer as-is is awesome. I def expected it to work the way everyone else did at first, but I think the limitations give you interesting choices. It let me discover my perfect build: archistave primary for spells and traversing, magick bow for putting lots of damage on a specific spot, and duospears for when I've gotten separated from my pawns or taken the Wakestone Express (leaping off a cliff to save travel time). Also when I'm wanting to mix it up melee style for a bit. Always-equipped skills are high seism and saggitate shower, and the third I'll swap between high levin, thundermine, or ricochet shot, depending on need.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
All the times they go "this... is the dragon's dogma" or "that was the dogma of the dragon" has extreme "I sure am tired of all these star wars" energy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Coolness Averted posted:

I actually had to fire a pawn I'd hired with that skill because he learned to run up to me in midfight and activate it. So I'd be in the middle of whaling on an ogre, then just find myself launched in a random direction away from the monster.

That's great, makes me wonder what the most annoying possible pawn build would be

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

FART BOSS posted:

Thank god, with this mod this game is finally playable

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/418?tab=description

THE WIND IS PUSHING MEEEEEEEEEEE

This is exactly what this game was missing

Also the dragonblight thing makes me wish there was a pvp option. Invade other Arisens worlds through the rift and get 4v4 nutty on em :unsmigghh:

e: or even just you and your main pawn, that could be even more fun

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

If it doesn't stop, it certainly becomes inconsequential cause I think it's been a few weeks IG of me running around at this point without a single change

Yeah, it stops once you're down to that final beam in seafloor shrine

E: high fiving my pawns is one of the best things in the game, i do it every possible chance i get

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 5, 2024

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

TeaJay posted:

Just finished the game, clocked in 59 hours (at level 59). Liked it a lot!

Ending: My main pawn did not turn back into a human, but I still liked her little speech of my will giving her a will also. Probably should've taken her to the barber more often.

So am I to take it that The Pathfinder was a Dragon but also the Brine, somehow? And now that he's gone, the water is back to normal in this world?

I love that I ran out of wakestones during the last portal dragon fight, died and got the bad ending of ... me waking up in that same world? Did it imply that I became the crazy hermit who failed at his task?

Ending chat: Yeah, I'm not clear on the connection of the Pathfinder and the Brine, but it sure seems like the Pathfinder was the cause of it somehow. From what I can gather, the Pathfinder might have been some godlike entity that was just treating that spot of land like his own personal dollhouse and watching reruns of his favorite Arisen vs. The Dragon show unto eternity. Without any other explanation I have to assume the Brine was just a means of control to keep people from escaping dragon hell.

Not sure where the dragonblight/pawn-goopdragon comes in to play here. My impression is that it represents dragon control/influence (I think possibly by Grigor himself?) so they tear up the city during the game. But in the ending, after Grigor has been killed(???) by the godsbane when you go to postgame, I guess your pawn still has some bit of the dragon's will in them, which has become their own? I'm very unclear on that whole deal

Separate main quest, non-ending/postgame spoilers:

I sympathize with the plot to break the cycle of the Arisen, because it's a poo poo system that should be overthrown and replaced. lmfao that Phaesus' genius loving idea was to make his own Arisen-on-a-stick and summon a puny diseased dragon imitation, he was never going to win even if Grigor hadn't shown up.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

TeaJay posted:

One thing I didn't like about the ending was how Raghnall was adventuring with Phaseus despite me throwing him into a chasm during the duel. If you want this NPC to survive for story reasons, don't let me throw him into a bottomless pit (maybe he threw a grappling hook or something)
Oh don't worry, the pit has a bottom and he's fine, he gets right back up (even if his neck gets horribly broken)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR2SIMQAmPU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hah, neat, if you're quick enough you can grab the Sphinx and ride with her to her second spot. Took about 5-6+ full stamina bars to hold on that whole way, and she takes a really roundabout route, but it was very cool and scenic.

Then I hosed up the sphinx riddles a second time because I didn't realize that one dude in checkpoint rest town had a toothless twin :negative:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tarezax posted:

Should have taken a closer look at the name. And their hair.

Yeah :negative:

I can't get over how the first time I hosed up the riddles because she asked how many she'd asked me so far, and I had the right answer, but I apparently didn't put the statues in the right place or something. Oh well, I'm not loading an inn save or starting another NG or NG+ for it. I'll probably wait til the DLC comes out, then try again after beating that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yates posted:

Can I get my pawns to just shut the gently caress up?

Yep, it's under sound options iirc. Pawn voices.

And under interface options you can turn off their subtitles too

Speaking of, i turned off the minimap and traversal is so much better without it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

Also, what's the credit scene like for the Elf Town if you rescue it? My quest to fix their stupid tree failed as soon as I started it so I couldn't rescue them at all and MY credit scene was just an overhead shot of a completely empty Elfville[/spoiler]
Elf town postgame: You can rescue them even if you failed at the tree, you just have to ask again on successive days. I did the evacuations after all the beacons, so I was able to talk to him, rest to the next day, talk, rest another day, then talk again. On the third try he'll comment on your persistence and agree to evacuate.

Elf town credits: The arbor looked pretty hosed up, and nobody was around. I assume it's different if you don't ignore or fail the arborheart quest.

grate deceiver posted:

I'm reading all these endgame spoilers having no idea what the hell you all are talking about. Uh, I'm guessing I shouldn't have just fought the dragon?
You can fight the dragon if you want, just talk to the Pathfinder during the coronation party and he'll take you back to when you were riding the dragon so you can stab yourself with the godsbane.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

It owns actually

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lantern oil reminds me, the crafting and cooking felt a bit half baked too. Why can't I mix different kinds of meat to make dried meat? Why can I only cook beast scrags and not the fish?? loving weird.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've tossed Jonas (Harve village mayor or whatever) into the brine three times and he keeps coming back :mad:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Interesting quirk i just discovered, if you revisit the cliff you jump off of with rook in the opening, your pawns are very likely to just run off the edge. I was annoyed at first but the pawns come right back like nothing happened

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I just used allheal elixers

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Thundarr posted:

Apparently the sphinx riddle of madness will also accept hired pawns as the correct answer, as long as they've been travelling with you long enough / not been mistreated.

As for endgame stuff the red beam super monsters have really cool designs, even if I'm probably overleveled for them. And there's ferrystones everywhere so getting everybody evacuated quickly is very much not a problem lol. I think I've only found one treasure chest so far that has high level gear rather than more ferrystones / wakestones though.
Postgame chat: The high level gear is on the new supermonsters scattered about :getin:

e: just found out the meat clips are real videos, making Dragon's Dogma 2 an FMV game

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 7, 2024

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

It's much, much slower than that. I've been playing as it for probably 50+ levels and two of my vocations are still only rank 7. I got my pawn from rank 1 to max in a vocation in a single levels worth of experience.

Yeah i haven't checked the math but it feels like it's probably 1-10% dcp to non warfarer vocations

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Section Z posted:

Yeah the problem isn't "I'm not enchanted", the problem is when slimes go from basically free kills to "oops, chain stunned while your pawns stare at you doing nothing because they don't like the look of that archway or stalagmite".

My collection of tomes I keep forgetting to put into storage won't solve that, unless you can use them while in a stun state? In which case I should remember to reach for the levin tomes the next time rescuing a pawn from a slime has them thank me by running back thirty feet and then laughing as I take their place.

I simply avoid being caught by the slimes in the first place :smug:

Though the few times I did get caught, I was able to quickly jump my way back out.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

The dragonblight sass is extremely noticeable, even if you don't give them ANY orders. The pawn will just completely randomly go "I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING! DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" without you having to give any commands.

The first time I got this, I thought it was because I'd long ago gotten impatient with my pawns and was using the dpad to give them orders at every turn. I was really impressed for a bit that the game would react to that.

e: something weird happened to my Till Death Do Us Part quest.

quest spoilers for a very early game quest, possible bug: Since it was NG+ and I was over level 80, I sprinted straight to the Illdoer's Resting Place and murdalized the dullahan in no time flat. Dude thanks me for saving him and says he's gonna go home to his wife. Soon as he scampers off I ferrystone back to Vermund and run to the wife to close the quest out. I see husband and wife together already (maybe he had a ferrystone too), and they're both giving their regular NPC barks when I try to interact, and the quest isn't advancing. In the quest details it's still got the circle over the dullahan location, and dude's soldiers are still hanging out there doing nothing, and... well that's the state the quest has been in for the past two in game weeks.

Not 100% sure what I did to bug the quest, maybe the immediate ferrystone before waiting for some quest trigger to occur, or maybe killing the dullahan? I don't think killing it should affect anything but the quest details do say you don't have to kill it, just survive. But I'm suspecting the quick ferrystone did it.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 7, 2024

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That hat is the goddamn best

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

Wait for them to use their eye-laser and get tuckered out, then get in between their legs grab a foot and push it ‘outwards’, splaying their stance and making them topple over. The sole is now exposed.

Alternately: cast high seism at any part of the golem

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

Well, I finally reached my goal of getting 180 seekers tokens so I could get the mage staff. What an exhausting task that was.

At this point, my Arisen and Pawn miiiiiiiiight be a little overleveled for everything around us. Gosh darnit, I just really fuckin love exploring this world. It has been a long time since I played a game with a world I enjoyed exploring so much.

Me:

My Pawn:

My world exploration progress:

My quest progress:

Lol nice. I was in my 60s when i finally got around do doing the rest of the main quest, because Brant was like "aught will change when you confront the pretender at the coronation" so i completed all my exploration and side quests before doing that part

the only thing that really changed afaict is i was given permission to go to bakbattahl by the main road

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

trunkh posted:

can I kill Myrddin to recover Grimoires for Trish?

Sorcerer maisters quest chat: You can kill him, I doubt you can get the grimoires back though (turns out they're in his room per the following post!). But you can give him forgeries for malestrom, and then give the genuine ones to Trish for Meteoron.

Further spoiler specifically regarding quest outcomes: I constantly forget about grabbing/wrestling people, so the first time I ran into the final part of the Trish quest I filled her full of magick arrows, assuming the game would be like "oh look you won but they're all right" like it does with so many other things, e.g. the soldiers you fight when you first arrive in Battahl, the soldiers who are escorting Augustin, etc. Soldiers get spared, but the game lets you obliterate a little girl, go figure

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Neeksy posted:

Wow so your version of the Saint of the Slums turned out much differently, I figure.

Never heard of it! I looked it up just now to see what the trigger is so I can find out later. No idea how I missed it, I was in that area all the time

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 8, 2024

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

That is probably what they were going for, yeah, but a lot of it feels like it falls a bit flat, because it just doesn't really make sense narratively.
Like the last unmoored world dragon, does killing it actually reset the cycle? Why doesn't the pathfinder seem very keen on you killing that particular dragon then? Is he trying reverse psychology or something?

True end chat: That particular dragon is the pathfinder himself

Also i don't think ng+ is an actual new cycle for anyone but the player. The pawns welcoming you back are just a 4th wall break imo

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 8, 2024

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The_Rob posted:

I’ve been playing for a few days now and have decided that this game is Skyrim if Skyrim was actually fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngha7omkm2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Rattlers ill like ice, Arisen.