Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I’m looking forward to playing on PC if for no other reason than Sphinx nipple mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

The thief has an ability to whip and lasso enemies to pull them closer, harpies included. Hell yes. Great new footage in this story trailer.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

There’s a stream or two of early releases floating around. Be careful of spoilers out there for those concerned.

For those unconcerned with spoilers:
Looks real good.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Just had my gaming PC crash then reboot to BIOS, subsequent restarts continue to reboot to bios. Hopefully I can get this thing running again before Friday, otherwise I better hope DD2 runs on the Deck.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

All these reviews are making me feel like it’s captured the exact same jankiness of the original PS3 release, even the performance. This is the best news possible for me specifically.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Calling Dragon’s Dogma a Souls-like is a wild take. It’s not like I haven’t heard it before, but it always makes me feel like the person is either trolling (more likely) or hasn’t played either game.

That one is absolutely courting hate clicks.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I will be at work until 11:30pm PST, but at least I can use the steam app to remote download this while I’m at work so it’s ready fit me when I get home.

Also these frame stuttering issues frighten me, makes me sad. I’m good with 30fps even though my PC should be able to do it at 60, but I’d really prefer to not have to deal with stuttering. I know bad performance was part of the jankiness when I played the original on PS3 so in a way it will feel retro, but I just know it’s going to make me worry that the game will crash every time it happens.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I extremely dislike that even if I save before a fight, dying and reloading from last save results in damage to max health. That really discourages me from pressing into areas or trying tough fights again which is something I enjoyed in the original.

Also: noticing an absolute ton of warrior pawns, lots of mage pawns, a few rangers and like no thieves. Prerelease polls had me thinking it would be mostly mages and rangers.

I like that thief lets me do a self-enchantment of fire, and also that it’s assassin without the bow. Very cool.

Went to the capital then went back to that ruined town to deliver a letter. Then decided to try to walk back but got my poo poo wrecked by a Minotaur and kept retrying until I had 1/4 max health. Probably shouldn’t do that. I think I’ll level up and explore that opening area for a while. Maybe I’ll find more of those beetles that increase max carry weight. Or seekers tokens. Love that the penultimate reward for seekers tokens is an ultra sexy outfit, they know their audience.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I would like to not be at work so that I could instead be playing the Drag-on Dragogma.

I went directly following the main quest to get to the capital, got a cool ninja helmet and shoulder cape for my thief (while still running around in the default rags otherwise), then went to immediately deliver a letter back to that starting city that’s entirely burned down. Was running around the wilderness for a while, then back to that burned down starting city and found out there’s also an entirely functional section that isn’t burned down completely lmao.

Game rules.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Neeksy posted:

I'm interested in doing the magick archer class, but until I unlock that, should I start as a mage, sorcerer, or archer? Is there even a difference?

At this time we don’t believe leveling as one class effects the stats of subsequent classes. It seems to just change fully over when it comes to base classes.

This may not be correct since there hasn’t been enough time for thorough experimentation, but it’s the general consensus right now.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Had my first crash while dinking around in the human capital city. I had seen an autosave like forty seconds beforehand so I'm not worried about losing progress. Performance has been pretty stellar so far otherwise. Running smooth at a locked 60 until I entered previously mentioned capital city, then it's hovering between 30-40, but I have a pretty beefy machine. I'm also only playing at 1080p on medium settings because I'd rather not deal with stuttering if possible.

I had run around the western side of the starting area of the map, cleared out some dungeon full of slimes and goblins, and changed my thief to be using Helm/skullsplitter instead of that dash attack. Increased my effectiveness greatly. Using ensnare on small enemies to pull them through the air and then doing skull splitter to catch them and cut them apart in mid air feels great. Managed to walk from that starting area back to the capital after delivering a letter, got into a fight with a minotaur which was then rudely interrupted by a Griffon. Got the Griffon down to two health bars and he ran away, the fucker. Then I beat the poo poo out of an ogre. Powder charge on an enemies skull feels GREAT. Fought another Griffon in the fields outside the capital but it ran away pretty quickly.

This really captures everything I like about Dragon's Dogma, it will be super weird if/when I go back to Dark Arisen.

Pawns seem super effective so I'm absolutely going to try out Trickster once I've maxed out Thief. My only concern with Trickster is that combat is so fun and feels so good that playing more of a support might not be as satisfying. Worth checking out, however.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Ensnare is good to the extent that I think despite the lack of bow, Thief might be superior to assassin. Trivializes harpies and other light enemies, interrupts attacks on normal sized enemies you can’t just knock over immediately, can even throw large enemies off balance if you get the timing right.

If it also let you zip-line to enemies to do a flying kick it would be the perfect skill.

Vargs posted:

Protip: do your damnedest to remember where you picked up your very first Seeker's Token. Mine was picked up by a pawn gently caress knows where, so I'm screwed.

Incredibly hosed up thing for Itsuno to do lmao I’m hosed. Somewhere between the starting city and the capital I think.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Can’t believe there’s still no mod that blasts some nips onto the Sphinx’s big naturals.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Well I hecked up the sphinx quests on accident. I was onto her last quest at the Frontier Shrine (which is much easier to stumble across than the main Sphinx shrine), and she was like “find this NPC” and I’m like hey I recognise this nasty little gremlin. Turns out it was a dude who looked almost just like him, so I totally misunderstood the trick to that quest. Should have realized such a recognizable NPC would mean it’s a trick. Sadly, I disappointed the best romance option in the game and she flew away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I have Pawn Opinions.

Archer pawns, unless you give them explosive arrows, are basically useless. When I play archer class it’s specifically to mess up harpies and bosses. I kept a rotating cast of archer pawns in my party for like 30 hours, even having my arisen and personal pawn as archers at the same time to lead by example. They are just never aggressive enough, they usually just hang back while keeping their bow drawn. They can’t reliably hit harpies and you’re lucky if they even use their abilities. I see them use spiral shot and torrent shots occasionally.

Unless you have them eauipped with the explosive arrows skill and supply them with ammo . They use that constantly. I’m assuming they also use the other debilitating arrows but why bother with those?

Or maybe I’m just unlucky and my archers are bad? Maybe they’re draining all their stamina with dire shot?