Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ran Rannerson posted:

Honestly the actual worst thing about fate grinding is that even when you max out all the areas in both expacs with shared fates it doesn’t give you enough to buy all the goodies. I didn’t mind working towards the actual goals in the areas as much but the idea of grinding out those last couple orchestrion rolls… there’s only so many podcasts i can listen to….

I did absolutely love the changes to the last mogtome event though. That poo poo was great.
The best thing to do now is the final zones in the current expansion with a level 90 job geared out because you don't get synced for FATEs so your ilvl can obliterate them. When Dawntrail launches, there'll definitely be more roving parties to join, but you'll also probably have the new goodies to worry about, too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I started my WoL as a white-haired Au Ra, but fairly quickly Fantasia'd to be the MAIN HERO! I now look like The Guy On The Cover*/Meteor Survivor/Derplander/Mr. Final Fantasyxiv, John 'Final' Fantasy himself. But every now and then (like right now, during a wait for a new expansion) I shrink in the wash and become a lalafell version of that. Because lalafells are the best. All their emotes are so lively, it's great. I'll go back to Hyur for the new expansion though. Lalatime is "non-canon". :) I've not done any RP backstory for him, because I've never really done any FF RP at all. Maybe one day.

*specifically the Stormblood Samurai/Shadowbringers Dark Knight version - though I forked out the cash for a Fantasia just to swap to the stubble face when that came around in Endwalker. He does change his look somewhat between expansions/jobs - even the Monk version in Stormblood looked a bit different. I've stuck with the black hair of the SAM/DRK version though, it's my favorite look.

As for the LP itself right now, man do I love Sands of Amber, it's just one of the chillest themes ever. For all the horror of Amh Araeng's MSQ, spending time chilling in the zone is the best. I've always found desert zones calming, and the music definitely helps. I had it playing in my house for the longest time.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What little fiction exists for my character in my head is nowhere near as developed as what I've done for WoW. I tried think my character's use of a Fantasia for radical changes is part of their story, and I always thought of them as an eventual gender-bender even when I created and named them, as I didn't own expansions yet and couldn't access some races but knew I'd want to try at least one eventually.

So for the purpose of MSQ they were originally a girl with an adventurous, slightly tomboyish personality with a crush for Yda/Lyse. When Lyse felt rebuilding her homeland was a task too important than keep travelling with everyone (and as I the player got access to Hrothgar and Viera), the most anime thing happened and the WOL became... someone else. Now he's kind of a himbo, which is fine because the Scions have too many deans list people anyhow.

If I were the kind of person to engage in storytelling with multiple people, I'd use a different origin story that I only half-crafted, but it doesn't matter because places where people are walking slowly for thematic effect is not really my jam as a player.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Jumley posted:

I love the IDEA of RP and coming up with a character backstory but I have never been in a community for it and don't have enough confidence in my creativity to do it, unfortunately.

Set up an apartment, imo. It’s a nice excuse to come up with little bits of backstory and characterization without needing to come up with a lot of details. What’s kind of place would they live? How would they decorate? Etc.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I did the FATE grind in Shadowbringers relatively recently (last year-ish), and my main memory of it was seeing new Reapers - and you could tell they were new because they were still in the level 70 equipment they give you for starting the job, despite being in a level 75-76 zone - and them just doing their combo in straight lines through the FATE circle. In and out, shedding aggro as fast as they caught it. Was fascinating, honestly. And honestly kinda dumb to watch.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Oh, are we still WoL posting?

D'rannha was born into the Vylbrand branch of the D Miqo'te tribe, but was a mediocre hunter and a lousy shot so nobody really liked her growing up. When she was supposed to have children with the Nuhn upon achieving womanhood, the Nuhn covered for her and also sent her to Limsa Lominsa for schooling at the Arcanist Guild. Whether he was giving her a way to pursue her dreams or getting rid of her because she was useless to the tribe is a question which keeps her up at night to this day.

She ended up turning to adventuring to meet her tuition requirements, and from there the story diverges based on whether she's the WoL or not. On the WoL path she fell in with the Scions mostly because she knew that even if she wasn't that talented or strong they needed someone with the Echo to fight the Primals so she would just have to do her best. The end of HW is when she finally realised, hey, she's actually a pretty big deal. From there she's trying to do the best she can and live up to the awesome hype half the star has for her at this point. While she never really shed her inferiority complex she unlocked the path of the Dark Knight and is at least able to let her Persona Fray do some of the work for her when she's not providing support as a Scholar.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

You know what? I'll do this. My character was originally a Raen without a backstory. But then I got to Heavensward and decided to race change to a red Xaela so I looked like a demonic dragon lady for maximum heresy points. Then I changed my character's name to Demonic Dragongirl and started glamming the Demon horns from the Gold Saucer onto her in every glam.

At this point I decided she was from the Steppe, had idolized Sadu (didn't know her, but just loved her reputation) and left the Steppe when the Garleans killed her lover to get his scales as trophies. She killed the officer who had sent the troops into the Steppe, but was captured and put in one of Aulus' experiments. She was exposed to Dark Aether which is why she has voidsent horns, which she used to glamour over. When she was exposed to Ultima and Bahamut's dark magic a pair of demon wings sprouted from her back, which she hid until Endwalker (when said item became available). There's more but it's spoilers. Anyway, she's a typical Xaela, absolutely loves fighting, and honestly thinks the gods exist as a personal challenge for her to kill. Becoming a primal slayer is basically a dream come true for her.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Rythian posted:

I started my WoL as a white-haired Au Ra, but fairly quickly Fantasia'd to be the MAIN HERO! I now look like The Guy On The Cover*/Meteor Survivor/Derplander/Mr. Final Fantasyxiv, John 'Final' Fantasy himself. But every now and then (like right now, during a wait for a new expansion) I shrink in the wash and become a lalafell version of that. Because lalafells are the best. All their emotes are so lively, it's great. I'll go back to Hyur for the new expansion though. Lalatime is "non-canon". :) I've not done any RP backstory for him, because I've never really done any FF RP at all. Maybe one day.

*specifically the Stormblood Samurai/Shadowbringers Dark Knight version - though I forked out the cash for a Fantasia just to swap to the stubble face when that came around in Endwalker. He does change his look somewhat between expansions/jobs - even the Monk version in Stormblood looked a bit different. I've stuck with the black hair of the SAM/DRK version though, it's my favorite look.

this is one of my favorite character decisions i've ever heard. somehow playing default maleshep soldier is an incredibly funny choice in ffxiv, and fantasia'ing to be closer to the real thing is so clutch honestly. i hope being john videogames is a great time

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Valentin posted:

this is one of my favorite character decisions i've ever heard. somehow playing default maleshep soldier is an incredibly funny choice in ffxiv, and fantasia'ing to be closer to the real thing is so clutch honestly. i hope being john videogames is a great time

a friend of mine cosplays thancred ingame but since you can't actually name your character identically to any of the scions (try it sometime, it doesn't let you) he settled on Forgiven Lahabrea, which is a joke i can finally post in this thread

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

a friend of mine cosplays thancred ingame but since you can't actually name your character identically to any of the scions (try it sometime, it doesn't let you) he settled on Forgiven Lahabrea, which is a joke i can finally post in this thread

I've seen some folks get around that with apostrophes

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jumley posted:

Thank you <3

One thing I have never been able to do is fantasia permanently to another character. I always return to my original Au Ra man and I only fantasia during downtime between story patches. It never feels right to experience story with another character. Joey Tortellini (yes a dumb Comedy Bang Bang reference but the name at this point feels integral to my character as silly as it is) with his particular mannerisms and expressions feels like the WOL to me in this story and I'd have a hard time changing it up (though I change my hair constantly to match the mood of the story)

Yeah this is the thing, I'm too attached to my giraffe lady. Even changing her hair ends up being a step too far.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I don't really have a backstory for my WoL other than "adventurer".

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Somebody post Yoshi'p Sampo's story, I can't find it for some reason

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Runa posted:

I've seen some folks get around that with apostrophes

This reminds me of a WoW player I've seen who not only dresses like a major character, but does the apostrophe thing you describe and even created a guild called <Warchief> so they appear exactly like the NPC.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ibblebibble posted:

I don't really have a backstory for my WoL other than "adventurer".

One thing about the game is you can come in with a blank slate character but because they're involved in a story you can still get attached to them and start thinking about what YOUR WoL is like, even if all Warriors of Light end up having traits in common.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

Somebody post Yoshi'p Sampo's story, I can't find it for some reason

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Oh no. Yoshi-P is...is an eye color RPer. :negative:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

I got one of the more amusing cosplayers I've seen in a while during a Trial Roulette that took me to Greg's first fight the other day, simply because it's such an unusual pick.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

One thing about the game is you can come in with a blank slate character but because they're involved in a story you can still get attached to them and start thinking about what YOUR WoL is like, even if all Warriors of Light end up having traits in common.

I actually came up with a background explanation for why the WoL is a blank slate character but it would be massive spoilers here

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh yeah, I like how my WoL is now, I just don't really think too much about any backstory.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
my character is the real warrior of light

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I can't share my backstory until about halfway(?) through Endwalker.

I'll probably forget to by the time we get there. :downs:

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Valentin posted:

I love it. Every time a new trailer comes out, or a screenshot or anything, I specifically make sure to tell all my friends how humbled I am that Square Enix is making all these cool intro videos and stuff about me. It's really quite touching. :)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Farg posted:

my character is the real warrior of light

that's right

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i have been struggling for years to figure out how i can assign lore to a character named sapphica dropkick

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think what started me down the path of seriously starting to consider/create "RP" headcannon for my WoL, Morwyn, was when I decided it was bullocks that Suncats can't get fangs like mooncats did and looked into cosmetic mods for the first time. Some point down the road I felt the needless need to justify my decision by saying Morwyn was of mixed Sun/Moon parentage, and thus the first seeds of headcannon were planted.

I don't have a pre-planned, highly detailed background for her. Like others in the thread its slowly piled up over time due to various ideas popping into my head, sometimes prompted by events in game (such a gag line option in one of the Endwalker tribe quests being turned into a concrete detail of Morwyn's life growing up). My eventual discovery of third party G-posing tools and falling into that rabbithole only deepened my connection to her and desire to fill out her character.

She's a Miqo'te from a small mining town in Northern Thanalan. Her father is a mooncat who moved to Ul'dahn territory from the Shroud and her mother is a suncat of Ul'dahn birth, a member of the P tribe (though not one who follows a traditionalist way of life). Morwyn left home once as a teenager to "The big city" but would end up back home within a year, her ambitions of a grander life defeated by the harsh realities of Ul'dahn mercantilism. A few years later the calamity struck and life was a bit hard after that. Eventually, slightly older and more striken with wonderlust than even before, she decides its time to leave home again once she's sure her parents will be ok and goes back to Ul'dahn to become an adventurer, and the rest, as they say, becomes history.

She's Sapphic (though there is at least one or two guys that makes her wonder sometimes...) with a long-standing and seemingly unrequited crush on Tataru that can rival Wedge's (the little poo poo, she's mine!), surprisingly devout towards the twelve for someone's whos occupation involves attacking and dethroning gods (especially favoring her assorted patrons; Oshcon (personal), Azeyma and Menphina (Sun/Moon Heritage), and Nald'Thal (Ul'dahn)), is these days proud to consider herself Ul'dahn (a Royalist, ofc), and is struck with seemingly insatiable wanderlust and a desire to learn and experience all sorts of things, whether its tasting the latest dishes at the Bismarck, learning a new martial art, or learning to crochet. I could ramble on further, but honestly I'm bad enough about gushing about Morwyn and/or posting screens on the CGB discord , lol.

None of that stuff matters though. ultimately, I'm doomed to be recognized as the Mullet Cat. :v: Ever since I put the Windcaller hairstyle on in later Shadowbringer's patch cycle it has basically become my stand-out signature. You rarely see the hairstyle, and almost never on a woman. It certainly does lend Morwyn character.

And, of course, I have always been a Miqo'te. ALWAYS. And I have the ten year old screenshtos to prove it :colbert:

Ivypls posted:

i have been struggling for years to figure out how i can assign lore to a character named sapphica dropkick

A nickname, clearly.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 12, 2024

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ivypls posted:

spent too much time in limsa, these things happen

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

i have serious lore for a character named a'pple juice, i believe in sapphica dropkick getting lore

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yaknow what did it? Fray during the DRK Questline talking about my WoL as this great woman who wanted to do great things and then saying "She should never have gotten on that boat."

My undiagnosed ADHD daft self misinterpreted the comment from its intended point turning what was "My WoL had a serious case of resentment towards the tri-state, who she viewed as having used her and dumped her when doing otherwise was politically inconvenient, and is bitching off, using the Lavithan fight as an excuse" to her saying "I should have never come to Mainland Eoreza in the first place."

Man that questline really did make this game...

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 12, 2024

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.

Khizan posted:

Set up an apartment, imo. It’s a nice excuse to come up with little bits of backstory and characterization without needing to come up with a lot of details. What’s kind of place would they live? How would they decorate? Etc.

I have an apartment and a house! The house is an unorganized nightmare of "stuff I've gotten over time" and my apartment is mostly a fishing trophy display, but this is an excellent idea for a project.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well the thread and my previous post got me thinking more about that sorta stuff, so.. Now I know what Morwyn's parents look like. :v:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

I didn't want to bog down in the minutia of the system, but I NEVER bought those before Shadowbringers and now I've bought every one that's come up. Before it was way more important to me to save up my Hunt currency because it was so annoying to get, but Bicolor Gems come faster and easier during the level-up process and there's not much better to buy other than the music scrolls, which are almost too expensive to bother with. Add in the once-again-increased size of the zones and it's actually really well designed to funnel me into a reward that gives me practical gameplay value that until now I wouldn't have even considered.

Daily hunts are a good source of exp by Stormblood. One set of 15 daily marks is about equivalent to a set of 3 tribe quests I think, so you can get seals/nuts reasonably quickly even if you don't engage with any of the group based hunt content.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

Ivypls posted:

Sappho is a perfectly cromulent name, and Dropkick is from a stint at the Pugilist's guild, naturally.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well the thread and my previous post got me thinking more about that sorta stuff, so.. Now I know what Morwyn's parents look like. :v:

Friend, you've thrown wide the opened the floodgates for further character stuff! I, too, have designs for Vinalo's parents!

Leleja Leja and Tamido Sumido

There's a lot to them that I'm not going to further hijack this thread with. But I am heartened seeing so many people having some backstories in mind for their WoL. I think it can add a lot to one's connection to the story when you've got the idea that you're playing as a person going through all this stuff.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
Originally just my WoW character but as a catgirl, I went to the effort of re-rolling her around level 20 so I could get the proper naming convention for a Suncat.

Born in Ala Mhigo to a R tribe textile merchant, her family fled the Mad King's proscriptions when things went from 'nobility' to 'anyone with a gil to the their name.' Grew up poor in the Stonesthrow slum as Mum worked as a manor servant in the city. As a young woman she became a petty criminal and a gang enforcer as her mother drowned her sorrows in a bottle. Calamity happens when she's 18, loses her mother and kid sister, then right after takes a fall for a friend and goes to gaol for five years.

Paroled after five years she promptly heads for Gridania to learn how to be a Lancer, dyes her hair and hides her accent to no longer be seen as Gyr Abanian, sees a giant crystal telling her to do stuff, hijinks ensue. Gets introduced to some guy named Alberic in Coerthas, becomes a Dragoon. Learns to embrace herself and her heritage while training as a Dark Knight. Only learned to read and write in her 20s, still functionally illiterate and signs her name with an X. Worships the Twelve but holds Azeyma (personal and Seeker patron), Halone (Dragoon and general war patron), and Rhalgr (Ala Mhigan patron) in higher regards.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I'm totally going to make Lila's parents now, this is great.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

My name is Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way and I have long ebony black hair (that's how I got my name) with purple streaks and red tips that reaches my mid-back and icy blue eyes like limpid tears and a lot of people tell me I look like Amy Lee (AN: if u don't know who she is get da hell out of here!).

...Ok, that was a bad one, but I totally knew a girl like that back when I was at Hogwarts

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 12, 2024

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I never really gave much thought to my WoL's life before the beginning of the game. In my head she just went to Ul'dah in the hopes of making it big before getting caught up in all of Scion business and slowly realizing that there's more important things in the world than getting famous. She considers Ishgard a second home after Heavensward and she's probably closest with Alphinaud out of all the Scions. Outside of the Scions, she also considers Hildibrand one of her closest friends because he's 1) just a genuinely great person, and 2) his adventures give her a chance to relax a bit because no matter how crazy things get, Hildibrand always comes through in the end.

She also likes to change her hair color a lot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

The progression of these images from fresh-faced adventurer to vaguely depressed Reaper wearing clown make-up feels really does sum up the MSQ experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Since Sanguinia isn’t watching the PLL, all I can say is that it is going to be a pretty dramatic graphical change mid-LP lmao