Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

Genestealer cults prove that the nids are in fact enormous and utter dicks like the rest.

its ok they have no soul theyre mostly autonomous and barely feel pain

(the hosst i mean)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the golden throne is canonically a toilet

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Valko posted:

I stopped watching it about four minutes in. Guess I'm not missing anything.

Sly Marbo:
'He is utterly silent and acknowledges orders with but a slight nod before vanishing once more to find the enemy'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCMNWAJiz5Y

Marbo's my favorite 40k character as he's essentially First Blood's Rambo except in addition to ignoring his mental health the powers above him just keep sending him back into hellish warzones where he's the only survivor and then everyone acts real confused when he's traumatized to the point of being almost non-verbal so they chalk it up as "he obviously was born 'not quite right'"

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Hollismason posted:

The Gaunts Ghost books are pretty good.

My wife likes this series.

It's certainly a different vibe, being with the expendable and vulnerable Guard compared to the IMMORTAL BADASS ASTARTES.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The primarch of the Iron Hands is named Ferrus Manus

The primarch of the Raven Guard is named Corvus Corax

10/10 names in 40k overall.

Benagain posted:

the primarch of the dark angels is named lion el'johnson

after the poet lionel johnson.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

(writer of the poem "Dark Angel")

This is basically a trend.

The guy who oversees the Mongols expy is named Khan, of course (Jaghatai Khan, which I suppose is better than something like "Jengiss Khan")

The guy who is in charge of the Blood Angels is called Sanguinius.

The guy whose Space Marine's group's hat is fire and forging weapons is named Vulkan.

The Chaos Space Marine Primarch whose whole hat is being a sour rear end in a top hat who never spoke up about his issues is named Perturabo (Perturbed).

The bad one who got raised on a planet filled with toxic gas that always kept him on the edge of death is named Mortarion.

The one whose obsession with religious dogma and people's constant desire for it is named Lorgar (LORE-gar).

The twin primarchs who got found last are named Alpharius and Omegon. If this wasn't on the nose enough, it later got retconned that Alpharius had actually been the actual very first Primarch to be found, even before Horus, the main Primarch who got mindfucked into breaking everything, and Omegon was the last one.

And the guy who ran the nutcase Batman/Punisher murder-terror vigilantes was named Konrad Curze, which doesn't really have any hammer to the face secondary meaning, it's just incredibly edgelordy.

It's a running joke to make fun of the guy in charge of the Ultramarines, Roboute Guilliman's name, rendering it as stuff like "Rowboat Girlyman", but in all honesty we're lucky he's not named Caesar Azurekeen or something like that.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cornwind Evil posted:

And the guy who ran the nutcase Batman/Punisher murder-terror vigilantes was named Konrad Curze, which doesn't really have any hammer to the face secondary meaning, it's just incredibly edgelordy.
Not sure if you're joking but it's an obvious reference to Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

I enjoy the baroqueness of 40k lore and the fact that they are willing to just rip stuff off whatever. I don't think I would ever play a table top game or anything like that.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Cornwind Evil posted:

And the guy who ran the nutcase Batman/Punisher murder-terror vigilantes was named Konrad Curze, which doesn't really have any hammer to the face secondary meaning, it's just incredibly edgelordy
E:fb
I'd bet this is a reference to colonel Kurtz from apocalypse now/heart of darkness, which was written by Joseph Conrad.

I have never played warhammer but it feels like it started out as equal parts satire and low-budget nerdery channeling a heavy metal aesthetic, just smashing out some goofy skull stuff for their space orcs/elves or whatever.
Followed up by a shift to including a lot of content from people who didn't get the joke and took the grimdark edgelording seriously.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also Kurtz is from Nostramo which sounds like the ship from Alien but is actually another Joseph Conrad reference.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Eclipse12 posted:

My wife likes this series.

It's certainly a different vibe, being with the expendable and vulnerable Guard compared to the IMMORTAL BADASS ASTARTES.

It's very enjoyable. Abnett is a decent enough writer and there are some interesting characters in the books.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Are you saying that colonel Konrad Kurze being killed by Martin Sheen M’shen is a reference to something? :allears:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Asterite34 posted:

tbf have you seen the aliens humanity shares a galaxy with? Those guys are loving psychos. I'm not gonna shed a tear over the genocide of the world-devouring Xenomorphs or the S&M Juggalo Elves or the Skeleton Robots or murderous soccer hooligan Orcs or whatever
There are the aliens who will just eat your face and/or soul no matter what but there are also aliens you can talk to. The Imperium wants to destroy all of them.

Something all the recent Horus Heresy stuff has made clear is that the Imperium and the Emperor were never good. The Imperium of 40k is a twisted version of a different horror from 30k. They don't destroy aliens for some well-justified reason. They destroy them for the crime of existing. A plot point they've done at least twice is that actually humans and aliens can live side by side in peace just fine, and have done so for thousands of years, right up until the Emperor's Imperium comes to genocide them in the Great Crusade.

The 40k era Imperium is weaker and stretched thin, and though they still ideologically think aliens should be destroyed, they end up having more varied dealings with them for pragmatic reasons. Including an occasional understanding that the kind of aliens that eat your faces are a common enemy.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 28, 2024

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Falling asleep to Leutin09's Warhammer 40k lore videos is one of my favorite things to do.

A 40 minute video on relic terminator armour? Yes please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB2fjqy3GVw

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

This is basically a trend.

The guy who oversees the Mongols expy is named Khan, of course (Jaghatai Khan, which I suppose is better than something like "Jengiss Khan")

The guy who is in charge of the Blood Angels is called Sanguinius.

The guy whose Space Marine's group's hat is fire and forging weapons is named Vulkan.

The Chaos Space Marine Primarch whose whole hat is being a sour rear end in a top hat who never spoke up about his issues is named Perturabo (Perturbed).

The bad one who got raised on a planet filled with toxic gas that always kept him on the edge of death is named Mortarion.

The one whose obsession with religious dogma and people's constant desire for it is named Lorgar (LORE-gar).

The twin primarchs who got found last are named Alpharius and Omegon. If this wasn't on the nose enough, it later got retconned that Alpharius had actually been the actual very first Primarch to be found, even before Horus, the main Primarch who got mindfucked into breaking everything, and Omegon was the last one.

It's a running joke to make fun of the guy in charge of the Ultramarines, Roboute Guilliman's name, rendering it as stuff like "Rowboat Girlyman", but in all honesty we're lucky he's not named Caesar Azurekeen or something like that.

The angry one is named loving Angron

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I feel bad for the children of the 40,000th millenium. where do they play?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqy6WPSfZSA

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You would be angry too if someone drove nails into your brain.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hamelekim posted:

Falling asleep to Leutin09's Warhammer 40k lore videos is one of my favorite things to do.

A 40 minute video on relic terminator armour? Yes please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB2fjqy3GVw

One of my favorite parts of warhams is theyre will be things in the lore that are impossibly ancient, utterly indestructable, and completely irreplaceable

and then on the tabletop some Orkz will smash apart with choppaz

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

kntfkr posted:

I feel bad for the children of the 40,000th millenium. where do they play?

all imperial habdomes are constructed with one standard rec center, outfitted with no less than 3 statues of the emperor, and kept to regulation by volunteers from the the young administrars club

if the kids are cool they'll hang out at twist clubs in their teens, though

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Okay, this has been driving me nuts. There's another table top game with little dudes but it's small unit (I think 7) and each unit is actually one thing not a group. Does anyone have any idea wtf I'm talking about?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

Okay, this has been driving me nuts. There's another table top game with little dudes but it's small unit (I think 7) and each unit is actually one thing not a group. Does anyone have any idea wtf I'm talking about?

Micromachines

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Smugworth posted:

Micromachines

Charge: Trolling in a NO TROLLS forum

Verdict: Guilty

Sentence: Permaban and you have to give me five bucks

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

I got a small unit for u

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
heh heh

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Saint Celestine is pretty cool because the Emperor himself John Woos it up and sends doves for her. Also she has big rear end wings.

Harald fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 28, 2024

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Harald posted:

Saint Celestine is pretty cool because the Emperor himself John Woos it up and sends doves for her. Also she has big rear end wings.

loving messed up he didn't offer her some kind of soft drink with bite...

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

warmaster?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

Marbo's my favorite 40k character as he's essentially First Blood's Rambo

Marbo

Rambo

seems kinda similar

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Horace Kinch posted:

Marbo

Rambo

seems kinda similar

Accusing Games Workshop of being grossly-derivative to the point of just swapping letters around to make legally-distinct copies of existing popular culture icons?

Why I never-

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lol

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

No, I don't think that's it. Setting was modern. Rules for moving into someone's line of sight kind of poo poo. It was supposed to be pretty fast to play. I, for the drat life of me, cannot find this game.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i played the gently caress out of space hulk back when i had friends

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mage Knight?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its probably 40k Epic or whatever

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
kill team, for that description

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

bob dobbs is dead posted:

kill team, for that description

Getting closer for sure

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Necromunda?

Necromunda owns.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Infinity? Warmachine? Heroquest?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

NEEEERRRRRRRDS

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Horace Kinch posted:

Marbo

Rambo

seems kinda similar

And his first name's Sly.