Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
SMH the Greek wasn't Greek. That's like the only think we know about him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The funny thing is if a disgruntled low paid crew member really did want to do something like this on purpose or just went bananas it would be exceptionally easy to do. There’s really nothing stopping someone taking emergency control of the steering gear away from the bridge and yoloing into the side of the suez or something.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

This is the joke.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

ulvir posted:

are we absolutely sure there weren’t a bunch of cryptic messages being sent back and forth between phones registered in greece and burners in the hours preceding this accident

I dunno, but I do know this teacher and this doll furniture guy who make a good team.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Earwicker posted:

its just like when the south had to secede in 1860 because the liberals crashed a merry mac into their monitor.
My motherland's making me monitor merry mac

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Skynet was running a test. :tinfoil:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

My motherland's making me monitor merry mac

My motherland monitors merry mac monitoring me

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

It sure as gently caress isn't a base

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Idiot reacting to the idiot sign.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I crashed my boat into the bridge

I don't care!

I love it

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

smoobles posted:

I crashed my boat into the bridge

I don't care!

I love it

You're a suspended road, and I'm a giant boat
You want me out to sea, but I can only float
You're so drat hard to dodge, I'm starting to drift
You're named for Frank Scott Key, but I'm a cargo ship

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 28, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

it owns that they'll take Literally Anything as confirmation that they're right

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mr Teatime posted:

The funny thing is if a disgruntled low paid crew member really did want to do something like this on purpose or just went bananas it would be exceptionally easy to do. There’s really nothing stopping someone taking emergency control of the steering gear away from the bridge and yoloing into the side of the suez or something.

That's true of a large amount of the modern world. There are thousands of commercial pilots every day who could do their own 9/11 style suicide attack if they decided they wanted to, construction/demolition peeps who could cause massive amounts of chaos with the equipment they have in cities, drivers transporting dangerous chemicals who could poison major water sources, and so on.

It can be worrying, but on the other hand it's reassuring because the amount of chances there are for these things not taken reaffirms how few of the bad actors there actually are with the ability to cause chaos.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

That's true of a large amount of the modern world. There are thousands of commercial pilots every day who could do their own 9/11 style suicide attack if they decided they wanted to,.

There's a better system in place to prevent this one. The military regularly conducts drills on what to do in this kind of scenario now.

This incident might result in some kind of change in protocol around key infrastructure (pun not intended) in order to get it clear of people.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What’s the status of the ship crew at the moment?

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

The important thing is that it taught me that the word allision exists and that's cool

The existence of allision and collision implies the existence of trillision, quadrillision, etc, etc, and M-M-Monster Combo.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

The Lone Badger posted:

All washed up.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

The Lone Badger posted:

Over-bored.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

The Lone Badger posted:

Wishing they were made of sterner stuff.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

they were illegal black trans women immigrants and have been swiftly deported, our bridges are safe once again

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

The Lone Badger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrzpoUjJ_0g

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AndrewP posted:

it owns that they'll take Literally Anything as confirmation that they're right

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

The ship's crew is supposedly all indian, but the registration is Singaporean so probably officers speak a rich mixture of Singlish and subcontinent English with beautiful rolling "R"s. Legible enough for most americans. Below deck probably some of the crew mostly prefer to use Punjabi or Hindi.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Mr Teatime posted:

Could blockchain solve this?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
The block chain solves all things.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Lone Badger posted:

They are playing bridge in a hotel room.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I had a good look at the situation and my advice would be to build the next bridge higher. If it's higher than the ships, it won't get hit anymore

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
More important would be getting rid of the pylons. Have they tried hanging the bridge from zeppelins that are themselves tethered to the ground?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
gently caress bridges, replace it with a ferry. Everybody loves a ferry ride.

And if an out of control container ship is headed towards a ferry, it can just move out of the way!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

GABA ghoul posted:

I had a good look at the situation and my advice would be to build the next bridge higher. If it's higher than the ships, it won't get hit anymore

well i think it should be lower. what now chucklehead

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
it seems kind of dangerous how the ships can just move freely any which way they please inside the harbor.
maybe they should be put on hidden underwater rails like the steam boat in disneyland.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
How is she tweeting so long?

https://twitter.com/laralogan/status/1772675651599770093

I haven't seen anything from her since I last saw her as a 60 minutes reporter, I guess she is a right wing conspiracy person now?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She was on 60 minutes? I've always known her as a racist conspiracy theorist? Like she got kicked out of Australia for being too racist

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

John Wick of Dogs posted:

She was on 60 minutes? I've always known her as a racist conspiracy theorist? Like she got kicked out of Australia for being too racist

She was a fairly well respected reporter before she went through some of the most traumatic poo poo you can and came out the other side like this. Its legitimately incredibly sad.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bula Vinaka posted:

I haven't seen anything from her since I last saw her as a 60 minutes reporter, I guess she is a right wing conspiracy person now?

Boat nerds in there fighting against the hoards of conspiracy goofs. That's got to be exhausting.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bula Vinaka posted:

She was pushing right wing conspiracy nonsense then, too

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i like how the note only challenges the specific claim about the number of pilots and not the reams of bullshit about being a cyber attack on the mason-dixon line or whatever she's trying to say

also, there was a similar incident in china not to long ago, with a barge taking out the middle of a bridge in a fairly busy shipping area. is this the new face of war? no more soldiers, no more bombs, just slowly lobbing huge boats at each others infrastructure

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Isn't the mason dixon line east-west?
Also yeah I guess the people can't just drive a few miles out of the way and get to the other side of the harbour.

So I guess she's right, country completely divided. Thanks JFK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Isn't the mason dixon line east-west?

THAT'S WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK!