Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It got hit by a container ship. I'm going through my head for a list of things human kind has built that could be hit by a container ship and survive - Maybe the pyramids?

no, i dont think the pyramids would survive a direct hit by a container ship either. maybe a chunk would remain standing but i dont think it'd be pyramid-shaped anymore

but, i could be wrong. it's never been tested, and there's only one way to know for sure. we probably should also test various other large manmade structures this way, at least enough to make a season of a new reality show. versailles, the great wall, the bass pro shop pyramid, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

havent seen it linked yet but i think this is the ship

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:2810451/mmsi:563004200/imo:9697428/vessel:DALI

also, new closer image

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 26, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Deformed Church posted:

The Giza plateau is 60m above sea level, I think the damage by the container ship will be dwarfed by the damage done by facilitating the experiment in the first place.

the ship could be dropped from above, the hard part is getting all those cargo containers to stay on it as it falls

Platystemon posted:

The Great Pyramid outweighs that ship by a factor of fifty.

It would take a scratch, but it’s definitely winning that matchup.

sure, buddy. prove it.* $20 says your wrong.

*you know what i mean, prove it with an actual ship and an actual pyramid, don't just show me some equations or whatever

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this should probably be required reading for the engineers building the replacement bridge:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

the only effective deterrent for a ship that large is a whole decoy bridge

or, according to several armchair "engineers" in this thread, a giza pyramid

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

so like..people are going around the barriers because they want to go gawk at the accident site? or people going around the barriers because they think this is some government conspiracy and the bridge isn't really out or...something?

common sense wouldve suggested the former a few decades ago but these days who knows

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

frumpykvetchbot posted:

maybe if we made things simpler and fabricated them locally out of stuff that could be sourced nearby

well, i hear shipping containers are a popular new building material, and sources are suggesting there's an ample supply of this local resource very nearby to where a new bridge will need to be built.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

But, people drive around the gates to cross train tracks all the time. Just having a sign saying bridge closed is unlikely to deter quite a few motorists.

people drive around train gates because they think they can beat the train.

which is stupid, but a different kind of stupid than thinking you can do anything about a huge bridge being completely gone

edit: sorry i thought we were talking about the people still trying to go there not the people on the bridge before it collapsed

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sounds like they should have just crashed the boat into this other crappier bridge you guys are talking about

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hunter biden's laptop had been smuggled out of dc and had made its way into one of the shipping containers where it was due to be airlifted out by a chinese stealth drone in exchange for a much needed upgrade to joe biden's ai/cgi tv persona. trump's intelligence operatives got wind of this and had positioned themselves on the bridge ready to capture footage of the deal, but a Foreign pilot hired via DEI practices got wind of this from Baltimore's DEI mayor and intentionally crashed the ship, sending the evidence - and joe's new chip - into the water. and now the race is on..

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 26, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yes this is exactly like the civil war, several of my friends and family from texas and virgina have texted me to say that they are honor and duty bound to take up arms in defense their newly independent confederation. its just like when the south had to secede in 1860 because the liberals crashed a merry mac into their monitor.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

What are you talking about, after the crash since I’m below the mason dixon line I immediately have strong opinions about states rights and that contemptible fool Abraham Lincoln.

you better cool it with that poo poo or we're gonna rip up your railroads and heat up the ties until they are bendable and then twist them into knots around trees so you cant use your trains anymore

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Eh, the reality is these people were always this crazy, social media just creates an echo chamber for them.

well yes, but thats eactly what spread this poo poo. giving people with paranoid conspiratorial beliefs a community full of people telling them their beliefs are correct and that they are finally hearing "the truth" is exactly what leads to destabilizing events like jan6 and the militia movement the various shootings by paranoid assholes in the last many years and whatever is going to happen next time

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

cruft posted:

I don't know how I'd been on the Internet for this long without fitting in that puzzle piece. It's just mobs forming, on a bigger scale, but at a slower speed. Seems obvious now.

slower? if anything the internet has massively sped up the formation of all kinds of mobs as well as greatly increased the number of reasons they form in the first place. like when people first discovered that the internet could be used to quickly summon huge mobs they would happen for no reason other than just for the hell of it and people thought it was just a goofy meme thing

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i like how the note only challenges the specific claim about the number of pilots and not the reams of bullshit about being a cyber attack on the mason-dixon line or whatever she's trying to say

also, there was a similar incident in china not to long ago, with a barge taking out the middle of a bridge in a fairly busy shipping area. is this the new face of war? no more soldiers, no more bombs, just slowly lobbing huge boats at each others infrastructure

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hazo posted:

Is this that scene where a boat drives onto a crowded beach?

Other than they both have boats how in the gently caress is that “eerily close”?

lmao these people are ill

you just arent thinking hard enough

also... the key bridge? and terrorists target key infrastructure?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shannow posted:

I'm seeing the conspiracy loons now noticing the eclectics shorting along the top screaming that they can see explosive charges being detonated along the top of the bridge, as if it would have needed assistance in collapsing after the main support was hosed.

laughable.

i am actually an expert in specifically this type of boat-bridge collision as well as mason-dixonian shipping logistics and i assure you, it would be categorically impossible for an "accident" of this type to occur without the involvement of demons and the lizard people.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

If you still had to learn how to set up a personal website to share your views it'd be an impenetrable barrier to most whackjobs.

lol yes geocities was notorious for being full of completely sane websites and an utter lack of whackjobs, basic html is clearly an impenetrable barrier conspiracy theorists cannot cross :rolleyes:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

naem posted:

people attach their real names and faces on social media now instead of a smoking chipmunk and it’s been all downhill since

you're just saying this to throw off the trail but its too late, everyone knows you actually are a smoking chipmunk irl

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Yeah but they were mostly funny grandpa yelling about 8 dimensional bathrooms was good for a sensible chuckle, grandpa storming a pizza place looking for slave children is less so

true but i dont think html is whats making the difference

also not sure where this "grandpa" stuff is coming from, the dude who stormed the pizza place is in his 20s.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

thank you this is in fact very useful for various future projects!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont think its any of governments business to be building bridges, i think anyone who wants to get from one side of the bay to the other should take the responsibility to build their own individual bridge and handle its upkeep. maybe a bridge could be shared between family members but thats about it. or perhaps companies like mcdonalds and starbucks on opposing banks could build bridges that their customers are allowed to use if they show a proof of purchase. by 2030 we could be arguing over whether to take the dunkin donuts bridge or the pizza hut bridge because dunkin donuts is notoriously behind on their upkeep and the bridge is unsafe but it still comes with a free box of munchkins when you get to the other side

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 30, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Alchemist posted:

I dont think there was a bridge to begin with, the whole thing smells like scam

the FBI has so far determined that there are in fact pieces of a bridge on the boat, but they haven't figured out how they got there, or which bridge it is.. if any. it's possible those are just some bridge parts that coincidentally were being carried in containers and which spilled out when the boat had it's accident. we'll know more once they figure out what the boat actually hit. the confusing part is that the map shows nothing there, so what could it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Wait, than what did the boat crash into?

i did a bit of research by reading random pages from earlier in the thread and it seems that the boat has crashed into *checks notes* the mason-dixon line

according to my understanding of geopolitical rules this means the confederacy (should it rise again) has a casus belli against singapore

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 16, 2024