Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

drat, I didn't think it would happen that fast... must've been loving terrifying to be in one of those cars
Video has been sped up in that tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

BastardySkull posted:

It happens in less than 10 seconds or so between collision and collapse.
Sure... but in the video in the tweet that was quoted with a post of "drat, I didn't think it would happen that fast" it's like a second. Hence my reply.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
I've been wondering if perhaps the second power loss may have been a desperate attempt to "re-boot" a system that had come back on line badly after the first recovery. It really seems to start veering when they re-gain power the first time, and the second power loss doesn't seem as total as the first

Do we know what sort of propulsion the Dali uses? Is it one or more screws mounted conventionally on a shaft with steering from a rudder... or dose it use steerable electric pods powered by generators?

Could the first recovery have bought those pods back on line asymmetrically or have kicked their direction out of centre?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
NTSB has released their drone inspection footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwgOHpZlxvc

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Vampire Panties posted:

it seems like a bad design that the entire bridge ripped off the pilings, instead of the impacted section
It looks like the design was a cross between a truss and cantilever design, but with the two cantilever elements (the two halves of the arch) rigidly connected. One half went down and it dragged the rest with it. The other spans to the north may have been knocked down as the others fell but there's no clear footage of the spans that far north.

Not an engineer though so I couldn't tell you if that's a good design for specific purposes or a bad one.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

JahRoo posted:

You generally want all parts of a truss to be connected so that it stands up.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

JahRoo posted:

Really long spans balance against adjacent spans and thus need to be connected. You can go with a bunch of smaller individual spans but they will be shorter and ironically navigation would be harder.
:thejoke:

It's Liz Truss, whose tenure as UK prime minister collapsed after a VERY short span...

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

frumpykvetchbot posted:

the bridge pillars was made from the flimsiest pronouns you can imagine.
I-beams

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They are playing bridge in a hotel room.
:golfclap: