Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

This reminds me of the time some internet dufus (I can't keep track of all of them) got dunked on when he responded to some article about a bunch of people saying what they would make illegal if they had the chance, "Notably, none of them said 'crime'."

The obvious counter being, "Crime is already illegal, that's why it's called Crime."

Technically I think he's saying nothing should be illegal.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

I mean, he’s technically correct? The legality of a coup is completely irrelevant, because coups and legalism don’t exist on the same playing field. In the same way you can’t apply hockey rules to a football game.

The interpretation they're putting forward would make coups legal essentially - only impeachment removes that. So the President would have a vested legal interest in disrupting Congress if they thought an impeachment eas likely. The whole thing is stupid as all hell and has no basis on any content legal theory or practice

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Some potential good news.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/04/29/entertainment/gerard-depardieu-arrest-france-scli-intl

quote:

French actor Gérard Depardieu has been taken into police custody in Paris to face questioning, his lawyer told CNN Monday.

The 75-year-old presented himself at a police station in Paris on Monday morning, according to CNN affiliate BFMTV, and is being questioned over accusations of sexual assault by two women alleged to have taken place on film sets.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Didn't he previously run away from taxes to Russia?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

OddObserver posted:

Didn't he previously run away from taxes to Russia?

Yes.

He also got caught pissing in the aisle of an airplane while drunk as a skunk a few years ago IIRC.

e: yep :lol:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/gerard-depardieu-pees-plane-air-fance-224368/

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 29, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Grip it and rip it posted:

The interpretation they're putting forward would make coups legal essentially - only impeachment removes that. So the President would have a vested legal interest in disrupting Congress if they thought an impeachment eas likely. The whole thing is stupid as all hell and has no basis on any content legal theory or practice

Yes. And that’s why. If you lose you get impeached and punished, if you win it wasn’t illegal.

Trying to apply liberal legal theory to getting punched in the face is a fallacy of first principles.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Yes.

He also got caught pissing in the aisle of an airplane while drunk as a skunk a few years ago IIRC.

e: yep :lol:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/gerard-depardieu-pees-plane-air-fance-224368/

It kind of makes me wonder how much the authorities had on him. I mean, he took himself to the police station.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Shaddak posted:

It kind of makes me wonder how much the authorities had on him. I mean, he took himself to the police station.

either they dont have much or he thinks they dont have much, otherwise he'd take a powder down ol mexico way

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1785302502776226117?t=Zl0cnepKnSzcbjmuEujfQw&s=19

Likely just throwing some raspberry at Donnie that he doesn't even need to wiggle out of, though lots of talking heads are getting creative about poo poo the judge can do

https://twitter.com/SarahBurris/status/1785049587662623201?t=iarVmTArVVwOkmS_byksdA&s=19

which basically just amounts to using grape instead

Edit: or not

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1785304728672391505?t=dT9csEoHZdzXqd7nPmA-1A&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 30, 2024

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So how much does this particular wriggling increase his isolation by? Surely he's been punished enough by a nine grand fine and a stern finger-wagging that he will change his behaviors and not continue to try to get jurists murdered. That's such an astonishing punishment I'm surprised it's not getting litigated separately as unconstitutional.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Higher fines are not available. Klasfeld read it wrong. He says he wishes he could fine him $150k per future violation, but cannot, so he's threatening him with jail instead.

bird food bathtub posted:

So how much does this particular wriggling increase his isolation by? Surely he's been punished enough by a nine grand fine and a stern finger-wagging that he will change his behaviors and not continue to try to get jurists murdered. That's such an astonishing punishment I'm surprised it's not getting litigated separately as unconstitutional.

https://www.nycourts.gov/LegacyPDFS/press/PDFs/D.O.motion4contempt-FINAL.pdf

It's not really a stern finger waggling. It's the first step in the contempt process. The judge even points out that $1000 fine is ineffective deterrence, and he will consider jail time for future violations.

Now, I don't expect jail from the thursday contempt violations unless trump violates again between now and then and refuses to delete the contemptuous posts.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah that's the problem - higher gag fines aren't legal in this circumstances, so lol that jailtime is.

Also, laffo that MTG is officially impotent now:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1785311439143530510?t=EX9_QojjyG3b0fCPR67e4w&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah that's the problem - higher gag fines aren't legal in this circumstances, so lol that jailtime is.

Also, laffo that MTG is officially impotent now:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1785311439143530510?t=EX9_QojjyG3b0fCPR67e4w&s=19

HFC sold their power bid to go unhinged and now have nothing in their pocket with so many retirements, so yeah they are hosed and cannot elect a new speaker without the Dems.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

sorry, whats HFC?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

House Freedom Caucus, the unbridled id wing of the republican delegation

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Huge loving Clowns

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
High Fructose Cornsyrup; good for the farmers, and what's good for the farmers is good for

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hieronymus Fuckin Cosch, 'cause that makes the same amount of sense as they do

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hillary Fuckin' Clinton am I right

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hillary loving clinton

it all comes back to her eventually

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

GODDAMNIT

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

Hillary Fuckin' Clinton am I right

And also her embarrassing brother, Hugh Fuckin'.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

My Spirit Otter posted:

sorry, whats HFC?

Not much, what's HFC with you?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
HFC's brother KFC and their cousin BOFA

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Not much, what's HFC with you?

this made me think of HCT and i miss him

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Hieronymus Fuckin Cosch, 'cause that makes the same amount of sense as they do

Gonna name my next D&D rogue Hieronymus Cosh, thank you.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

OddObserver posted:

Didn't this stuff first start making it into public conscience because some sandwich shop sued an ex employee and then there were articles about someone else being lovely like that to like a construction worker?

There was that time during the pandemic where one hospital sued another over non-compete or similar nonsense because a whole bunch of nurses jumped ship to much better and much better paying jobs at the new hospital.
The old hospital's entire argument revolved around "nuh-uh they belong to us", "we are deemed a critical site and the new one isn't even if it is bigger, better and has a better patient outcome record", they totally signed a non-compete so they'd have to leave their field entirely". This was also around the time where legislation was being put forward, making it mandatory for nurses to stay in their field due to the massive drop in qualified personnel, which totally didn't have anything to do with burnout, lovely wages, lovely schedules, lovely management and lovely work/living conditions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DEA rescheduling pot to schedule III alongside ketamine and anabolic steroids.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

DEA rescheduling pot to schedule III alongside ketamine and anabolic steroids.

This seems rather huge. Can you explain more?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I was going to say "for us laypeople who don't know poo poo about scheduling other than it's a gently caress",

Crab Dad posted:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Opens up a lot more potential for prescription and research use.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
iirc it also legalizes production and distribution at the federal level as long as you're licensed

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Crab Dad posted:

It's a biggun, decriminalization but not legalization

https://twitter.com/APjoshgoodman/status/1785357287390957637?t=MYlNELD1w6SpVhOsJL_fXg&s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It's a step in the right direction. Years overdue, but it's absolutely progress. Still should be legal at the federal level, though, and ideally should stop loving over people who want to get security clearances or not lie on a 4473.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I don't know the veracity of his claim but I follow an addiction medicine MD on Twitter so was saying that DEAs decision don't actually consult medical doctors for how they decide things, e.g., the ADHD medication limiting and cannabis

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Scheduling is political as much as anything else. Xanax is schedule IV, for example.

This is rather large news as federal funds can now be spent on marijuana research, federal doctors can recommend it, etc. Weed will finally be classified as a less dangerous drug than morphine or cocaine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nick Soapdish posted:

I don't know the veracity of his claim but I follow an addiction medicine MD on Twitter so was saying that DEAs decision don't actually consult medical doctors for how they decide things, e.g., the ADHD medication limiting and cannabis

I mean the original foundation of the DEA itself was largely around racist ideals, and their motivation is focused on the War on Drugs rather than understanding the medical and mental impact of them

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i wonder how much in bribes elon had to pay to get ketamine rescheduled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It's a step in the right direction. Years overdue, but it's absolutely progress. Still should be legal at the federal level, though, and ideally should stop loving over people who want to get security clearances or not lie on a 4473.

It hasn't been strictly true that marijuana use fucks over people wanting to get security clearances for quite a while. The process is still too inconsistent for comfort, but it's generally sufficient to be truthful on your application and discontinue use.