Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

This should be a huge scandal but it's not even going to budge the needle at all.

For perspective, in 1972 it was a huge scandal that McGivern's VP pick had electroshock therapy to treat his depression.

Are you gonna start sneaking McGovern facts into every post now like my dad after every time he reads a book on some semi-obscure historical figure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Steezo posted:

Somehow we went from Nixon, to Stupid Nixon.

Even Nixon managed to make the EPA and normalize relations with China.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hey, Bush's wars gave a lot of us a free college education and lifelong disability payments, so that's something.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well you see when we made a toothpick bridge in 7th grade, I was able to repair it by just gluing some new toothpicks on it. Basically the same thing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The chafing alone...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

The army instilled in me a vigorous dislike of running as an exercise to begin with.

Then I found out that serious marathon runners wear pasties because running too long makes your nipples bleed all over your shirt from the chafing what the gently caress is wrong with these people!?

I managed to rediscover running as a kind of meditation exercise later on. But the one thing I still can't loving stand is pushups.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s best thought of as similar to a large toll road travel plaza with a bunch of stores inside.

So basically Autogrill with worse coffee.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What is there to be said exactly unless you're rich? Access to the parts of the US justice system that people praise - right to a speedy trial, exhaustive appeals, presumption of innocence, judicial impartiality, guaranteed trial by jury, protection from extrajudicial searches, no cruel punishments - is broadly gated by the defendant's ability to pay.

This is true in plenty of other places. In the UK, if you've got enough money you can actually criminally prosecute someone yourself. It's had predictable results. Meanwhile, in Germany, suing anyone and everyone is practically a national pass time. To the point where many folks take out legal insurance to help with hiring an attorney for when their neighbors inevitably sue them.

For all the faults of the US legal system, it's nowhere close to the level of an authoritarian regime like Vietnam or China.

psydude fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 12, 2024

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's just like the milhist thread all over again. Apparently germans got that poo poo in their blood.

Local transit operators employ ticket checkers who dress in non-descript clothing and appear suddenly on trains to harass tourists and students. Because apparently this is better than just using turnstiles. I used to jokingly refer to them as the Train Stasi until someone advised me that I could probably be sued for it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Is it for using the word Stasi to describe them or just disparaging them in general? If it is the former, could call them the Train Pinkertons

Insulting someone is illegal in Germany. Most people would never invoke it, but as you can imagine, it's not infrequently used by the police and other public officials to punish normal people. One of the more famous (if not ironic) cases involved a man who flipped off a guy who was passing him on a road at high speed, which triggered a speed camera. The guy who flipped him off was caught in the photo and was prosecuted for insulting the police. He fought it in court, but ended up paying a €5000 fine.

https://www.thelocal.de/20220615/driver-in-bavaria-gets-e5000-fine-for-giving-the-finger-to-speed-camera

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Lol no, gently caress this. They 100% should scrap the ticket checkers, but if I had to choose between dealing with the ticket checkers or with turnstiles, I would choose the former every time. Currently you can just buy your ticket online, and then saunter onto the train station and board your train at your leisure without having to squeeze yourself through some stupid turnstiles.

In Japan, a lot of the train stations have started using turnstiles that are open by default and only close if you don't scan a valid ticket.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Charging people at the point of use for a service that’s generally a clear public good and gets better the closer it gets to capacity is silly policy making in the first place. Fares add unnecessary friction to a system that should be optimized for throughput to do what exactly, give people an incentive to drive instead of taking transit? There are ways to fund trains and trams and buses without fares and they would all be a better experience for it.

I'm not sure what point you're responding to here, but I was simply pointing out that the OP's complaints about getting stuck in a turnstile have been addressed by the Japanese, thus rendering them a suitable replacement to the secret train police.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PrZ-J7D3k

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

My biggest concern would be drone swarms as decoys to overwhelm air defenses.

Ie, how the coalition completely clowned the Iraqi defenses in 1991.

This is probably the goal. They might launch IRBMs or have Hezbollah fire off a sizeable part of their rocket reserves while Israel's air defenses are tied up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

How the gently caress is Biden the only one who's catching poo poo for looking old?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone got estimates on what percentage of the Shahed's used in Ukraine are made in Iran vs. Russia?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

davecrazy posted:

Self immolation over BITCOIN????

I guess he did HODL after all.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MTG is now saying she isn't going to file the motion to vacate. He called her bluff and she had no hand.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Transcarpathia is a real region that spans Eastern Slovakia and Western Ukraine that's home to an ethnolinguistic minority group called the Rusyns that speak the Rusyn language. My wife's great grandmother immigrated from a village in western Ukraine (which was part of Austria-Hungary at the time) and her grandmother still speaks it.

I'm sure there's some Hungarians there, but as far as I'm aware, they aren't facing any kind of major persecution. Most importantly, I'm 100% certain the Russians would happily murder them like they've been murdering Russian and Ukrainian speakers in the rest of the country.

psydude fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 21, 2024

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Midjack posted:

His appeal is still under consideration by the UK high court, the court is seeking assurances from the US about due process etc before they say "lol here ya go" and extradite him.

They also wanted assurances that he wouldn't be given the death penalty.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Best political move would probably be to prop him up until just before the elections and then let it all fall apart to remind everyone how bad Republicans are at governing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That Works posted:

This is the case at every US state school I have been or worked at, idk about private schools except that MIT cops were trained police.

My private university also had real police department with real police.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Crossposting because Deutschistan is having a very normal one

Question: if you remove your name from the post box, does that mean German law enforcement can never prosecute you since the letter will just be returned?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Does this actually happen? I've signed employment agreements that include non-competes for practically every job including some in seriously anti-labor states, and it has never been a factor with changing jobs.

It seems like a good policy change on paper, but is it like the federal marijuana possession clemency where it helped like 11 people in practice? If it's just a press release while a meaningful rule change is passed off to someone else for years (like actual marijuana rescheduling) that's less impressive.

I know people who have turned down offers of employment over fear of violating a non-compete. It has the effect of deterring people from moving companies, which translates to suppressed wages as well as limiting the spread and cross-pollination of ideas throughout an industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

With doctors earning an average of $350k/year* how many of them fall under the $151k/year threshold for the FTC rule?

Again, not saying that this is a bad policy change. Just questioning whether it's going to practically help people, or if it's just something that comes off well in a press release.

*https://www.nber.org/papers/w31469

OP specifically mentioned new doctors, who don't make anywhere close to that amount. Once they leave their residency, sure, but that's years after graduating medical school.

e: Guess someone really didn't like my earlier post about non-competes.