Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I don't have any deep insights to add but, pressure changes all chemistry and equlibrium points. Add to that how Oxygen is a bit, uh, insane, compared to other elements in most situations. And so high pressures will push unnatural amounts of it into your blood cells, turning it from performance enhancing doping into toxin. And the combined one weird trick to fight both that and the bends is to displace it with both less massive inert gasses and reduce the total amount of it in the blended air.
Naturally trimix stuff would (might?) suffocate you at sea level.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

Hypoxic Trimix will suffocate you at shallow depths, if your ppO2 is below 18% at sea level (any mix you'd breathe below 270', roughly). Normoxic Trimix is 21%, and same depth limit (190') as just O2/N2, same oxygen concentration as sea level, but with less risk of the bends.

Basically, as you go deeper you replace N2 with helium, then you replace O2, in order to reduce the chances of oxygen toxicity.

Technical diving is scary as gently caress to think about, if your gas mix is not correct, you're dead and there's nothing anyone can do to save you, basically.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Half marathon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqQn5vAcio

Same energy

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Reset the clock Apparently Su-57

Oh word? I'm sure there's lots of people interested in the capabilities of the SU-57 :nsa:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That Russia brief before the HACS by the US EUCOM commander was definitely interesting. Basically saying that if Russia continues on its path that it is going, in a year or two if they don't experience severe degradation of their capabilities in the wider European and global theater they're on the way to reaching the point that in a conventional war, all they'd need to reach the Atlantic as a land army is boots, and they will have about 2 million of them in uniform by that point, and the artillery and tanks to back them up thanks to alliances with Iran, China, and North Korea, and Europe and the US are not on track to be able to match them on the battlefield. Quantity is a quality all its own.

Their logistics are a loving mess, but 2 years is also a fairly far off amount of time for them to figure that out.

Before writing it entirely off as bullshit, this is an evaluation by people who have spent every hour of every day since the Ukraine war kicked off digging into every bit of intel on Russia they can get. Of course they could be wrong, but if they're right that's a scary thought. Two years would also put the US in the middle of a potential Trump presidency and he has said multiple times that Russia can do whatever the gently caress they want to Europe and Trump doesn't care.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 11, 2024

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

I'd like to ask if these are the same sorts of nerds who predicted Russia would molly whop Ukraine in the first place or that the gulf war would be some horrible slog with mass casualties? I'm not saying I'm some sort of military genius with access to intel, but I don't think we're getting a reorganization of the Russian army like 1943 soviets that where arguably one of two greatest military forces on the planet.

The difference here is that a lot of the idiots in the Russian military apparatus are dead or gulaged at this point. The people occupying big positions are people who are more experienced with combat than anyone in the Russian military in the last 40 years.

Much like treating a bacterial infection with antibiotics, if you don't kill it outright by finishing your course of medicine it can evolve to develop resistance to the meds, if you don't knock your adversary out of the park in a war, and it turns into a slog, eventually capable people will wind up in the key positions needed for them to get poo poo done. The difference between Russia and Ukraine here is Russia has access to the assets of a superpower, while Ukraine has none of that really. Europe is providing Ukraine what it can, and is increasing investment in its defense industrial base, but that kind of work takes years of sustained effort to come online. The US has massive stocks of weapons and materiel but has turned Ukraine aid into a political football.

Russia has spent the last year or so while people were back-slapping each other laughing about Russia being incompetent slowly cleaning house. The EUCOM assessment that Russia has the capability to produce 1300 tanks per year is likely born out by actual current imagery of the tank plants producing vehicles. Also, their deepening ties with their ally nations is letting them tap into supplies they would not have had otherwise, such as DPRK ammunition production for their arty rounds, and Chinese manufacturing capabilities, and their European neighbors don't have a whole lot of capacity or capability to match it, preferring until recently to lean on the US largesse for their defense.

Like i said, they might be wrong, but if they're right, they could quite soon start a whole lot more hell on the European continent if they wanted to. Nobody can really predict whats happening 2 years down the road, but Russia is definitely doing work to shift conditions to be favorable for Russia's continued aggression towards its neighbors in Europe.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 12, 2024

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Quackles posted:

What's this a reference to?

Rogue One (a badass movie tbh)

quote:

Orson Krennic : [corners Jyn and holds a blaster directly at her] Who are you?

Jyn Erso : You know who I am. I'm Jyn Erso, daughter of Galen and Lyra. You've lost.

Orson Krennic : [sarcastically] Oh I have, have I?

Jyn Erso : My father's revenge: he put a flaw in the Death Star. He put a fuse in the middle of your machine. And I've just told the entire galaxy how to light it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Huge BBBY energy

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1780013586221330757

It's about time. After decades of abuse, I hope Live Nation gets crushed.

Finafuckingly Jesus I cannot wait until they get hosed up. There's literally no reason for ticket prices to be as inflated as they've gotten since that little merger

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kith posted:

it seems it cannot be overstated just how insanely loving stupid israel is

Looks like we get to test how much POTUS stands by Israel going it alone if they want to throw hands at Iran.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

I wonder if any of these people have ever had even part of their body on fire before, because I have the feeling it's worse than most people imagine and it goes from 0-100 in about a millisecond & only gets worse from there on out. I just can't imagine it's something anyone would choose unless they just simply don't know what they're in for.

yeah no, immolation is quite possibly one of the worst ways to go, every description of it is extremely horrible and just the maximum possible amount of suffering that can be inflicted on a person in the shortest time possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bitcoin could have fixed this