Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

The Eyes Have It posted:

I was just looking at some old stuff from years ago and ran across comics / commentary I remember about the Bush Jr presidency. What a wild ride.

Stuff from people who very clearly considered Bush to be a total, absolute, 100% worst case scenario. The foulest of all possible outcomes; an absolute low point. Holy poo poo if they had known that in less time than they'd think they'd want to crawl across broken glass for someone even a tenth as competent as him, they'd probably have just checked out entirely.

Bush jr. was worse than Trump.

Republicans seem to exclusively elect monsters. I can't see how anyone would want more of what they've given the world.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I grok the zeitgeist

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

My Spirit Otter posted:

yea dude, the guy who murdered his wife and her lover is a total king

Umm he's also a hall of fame running back, so...

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Stravag posted:

Who then sold a book titled if i did it: confessions of a killer

Right, so he was also a branding genius. Truely a dynamic and enigmatic figure. An all-time great at football, and he did other things too. Some not so good.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

Yep. The jury members are going to be anonymous, but the public poo poo shared is probably enough, like "worker at Stuff and Things Bookstore in Brooklyn". Like the foreperson is Irish-born and such-and-such. The meme-sharing poo poo isn't enough.

Apparently with New York rules, the prosecution and defense each get an amount of no-excuse dismissals they can use up. Of the 500 (I think) jurors pulled in, half were immediately excused for not being able to be impartial by their own admission. I believe the rest got the long-rear end questionnaire, had their names revealed to the prosecution/defense, and that process is what we've been seeing today.

Neither side can really delay things that much - the judge has particularly overridden some Donnie attempts at throwing jurors out during questioning. The general goal is to show the judge "uh this black woman says she can be impartial but here is a meme I found on her facebook that says ORANGE MAN BAD".

I believe the prosecution still has 6 auto-dismissals left and Donnie has 4. The judge thinks they might get done by the end of the week - they got 7/12 of the mains done, plus need another ~6 alternates. No jury picking will happen tomorrow, then Thursday/Friday will be the rest of voir dire.

Imagine missing the chance to vote to convict Trump because you didn't want to bother with jury duty

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I wonder if Israel intentionally targeted Iranian drone production facilities that would put a squeeze on the arms trade between Iran and Russia? It seems like the kind of targeting that they could attempt to sell to the US as being mutually beneficial, even if its an escalation.

Biden really needs to shut this poo poo down immediately. Any further escalation results in a policy shift with respect to defending Israel would be great to hear.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Flikken posted:

Government is funded.

Ukraine Aid passed.

Why save him now, especially since a misstep and missing members could elect a democratic speaker?

You have a member of the opposing party who needs you, in a house leadership position, and who can be used to drive a more complete wedge between his coalition and the fringe right. If the Dems can't make lemonade out of Speaker Johnson's situation they should retire from governance

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Depends on your state, industry, and position. But regardless this is a good development.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

With doctors earning an average of $350k/year* how many of them fall under the $151k/year threshold for the FTC rule?

Again, not saying that this is a bad policy change. Just questioning whether it's going to practically help people, or if it's just something that comes off well in a press release.

*https://www.nber.org/papers/w31469

If it's substantial enough to result in a CoC lawsuit I would think that should answer your question

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Proud Christian Mom posted:

liberals have spent months clutching the pearls over imagined rampant antisemitism in response to even the mildest criticism of Israeli so whatever the cops start dishing out on students is going to be bipartisanly applauded

Do you have any examples of this? I haven't seen anything like that, but I guess I also hadn't really been looking for it either.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Welcome to the end of the republic everyone!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Because foreign political opponents are fair game? That sounds like an argument that presidents are allowed to arbitrarily murder people over there, but not over here.

Well the constitution doesn't apply "Over there" so there are a lot of legal distinctions that exist in those circumstances. But generally yes the President has and will continue to kill certain classes of foreign political opponents as part of their job.

Zamujasa posted:

The supreme court is flat-out busted and has been for a while, but boy howdy this really shows just how hosed it is.

In a 6-3 decision, Trump is completely immune to any and all prosecution,

I don't think they're going to grant Trump's immunity claim on this case. It's too loving stupid to fathom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

I mean, he’s technically correct? The legality of a coup is completely irrelevant, because coups and legalism don’t exist on the same playing field. In the same way you can’t apply hockey rules to a football game.

The interpretation they're putting forward would make coups legal essentially - only impeachment removes that. So the President would have a vested legal interest in disrupting Congress if they thought an impeachment eas likely. The whole thing is stupid as all hell and has no basis on any content legal theory or practice