Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

wheatpuppy posted:

My (35M) gf (35F) tells her coworkers that we are cousins

UPDATE - My (35M) gf (35F) tells her coworkers that we are cousins

OP is a special kind of fool, but introducing someone as your cousin when they aren't related to you is odd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

idiotsavant posted:

If you’re just gossiping with whoever then sure, but if you’re talking about relationship stuff with a close friend/confidant?? As long as it isn’t the kind of close friend who immediately blabs all your poo poo to everyone I think it’s fine; people should be able to have outlets for that sort of thing.

she said it while joking around with her friend group

unless your confidant is your therapist then the only person you should be discussing that stuff with is your partner

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

A_Bluenoser posted:

I must confess I don't get the whole "you can't discuss your relationship problems with your close friend, but only with a therapist" thing.

it's because the whole argument is a tangent from the actual original situation, where the gf was casually joking around with her friends about her partner's intimate pros and cons. therapy-friends were brought up to distract from the bad take that the op should just shut up and be grateful the relationship exists

getting other people involved in your relationship disputes is fine, but some issues are I think too intimate for discussion behind someone's back. I have listened to my friend talk about his partner's difficult relationship with her family - I have not and wouldn't ever want to hear about any problems in the bedroom, especially without her consent

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

InediblePenguin posted:

why do the people who want to post abuse stories want that? not sarcasm. genuine autism question. is it like "this is a learning experience showing what abuse looks like" or is it fun or what, genuinely

most of the stories itt are abuse- or abuse-adjacent stories, abuse being more a matter of degree than of kind. in this recent story about the postponed wedding, the fiance is a victim of a manipulative relationship, but apparently it hits differently for most posters. now it's a title quote

people with healthy relationships don't post on the internet about it. this is the thread for gawking at the ruins of other people's lives, and every one of us is a carrion-eater. it's fine to be squeamish but if we had any genuine sense of ethics none of us would be here

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

InediblePenguin posted:

i feel like you are making an argument against something that i was explicitly not saying. are you feeling defensive? this reads as defensive. i literally told you, this is an informational question i am asking because my brain problems often make the behavior of other people a mystery. you are replying with something about being squeamish and every story is abusive, which i feel isn't true and also doesn't answer my question at all?

no, I'm just cynical

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

The Bramble posted:

accidently accused my wife of cheating on me, but actually it was just my daughter - and now we may divorce.

Me, angrily confronting my wife with a half-empty bottle of Centrum Silver - “Are you cheating on me?!?”

counterpoint if the daughter didn't want anyone else to know maybe she could buy her own stuff. or perhaps the wife could have just not made a promise she could never keep. like there's a couple of points of failure before we get to screaming in a restaurant

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

extremely dumb hot take: while OP is incredibly awful the mother and aunt also dropped the ball, both in the past and more recently

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I think the OP and cousin's relationship was damaged in the past (for understandable reasons) and I think none of the responsible adults did anything to try to repair or maintain that relationship. further, come the wedding, they escalated the situation with threats even when the cousin had decided they would prefer not to attend anyway

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

the wife sounds utterly tedious. get a grip, woman

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

big dyke energy posted:

what????

"I'm divorcing her because YOU guys called me an abuser and made me feel bad."

like what??? honestly good for her, this guy is doing her a favor because he's a loving moron and she should be glad to be rid of him.

it's not that complicated. he is leaving his wife because she made a go bag. the rest of the post is only indirectly related, and it's just him yelling at reddit for being testerical idiots that give bad advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I think he wasn't able to work through his feelings about it because everyone he asked about it screamed at him that he was an abuser. possibly he should have asked somebody apart from reddit

like, the obvious solution was to recognise that the wife was stupidly imitating a social media thing and it meant nothing. unfortunately the internet was far too successful in convincing him otherwise and now no one involved is getting what they want