Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

PHUO: any snack sold by the establishment is fair game to consume during the performance. If the theatre thinks a bag of Sun Chips are a great accompaniment to The Barber of Seville, who am I to argue?

yeah its not like he sneaked in a hoagie or something. tbh the OP reactions seems a little bit too intense

babypolis fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

InediblePenguin posted:

i feel like you are making an argument against something that i was explicitly not saying. are you feeling defensive? this reads as defensive. i literally told you, this is an informational question i am asking because my brain problems often make the behavior of other people a mystery. you are replying with something about being squeamish and every story is abusive, which i feel isn't true and also doesn't answer my question at all?

they are not being defensive, their response is a perfectly legit anwser to your question. there is no clear cut line to define if a story is abuse or not

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Neito posted:

Wife who had the husband who was certain she was going to die during childbirth is the one that occationally pops into my head every so often.

Similarly, the one where the guys wife refuses to acknowledge that shes pregnant despite being visibly so

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PetraCore posted:

But yeah, plantation buildings and surroundings can be quite beautiful, because their ancestral owners built up massive wealth on the concentrated suffering of the human beings they owned and forced to labor for them. I don't think the richness or beauty of the manor can be separated from the suffering and evil that funded it, even moreso than basically any other mansion in history.

i dont neccesarily disagree but isnt this true of basically any historic monument? pyramids, ruins, palaces, its all built on suffering

basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhu4T_vwxIU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tarkus posted:

most people play it wrong too. Playing by the original rules makes it go much faster but people keep putting money in free parking or not auctioning off properties when they don't or can't buy them.

ive played it like this and its not really any different, game heavily incentivizes you to buy anything you land on so its rare for anything to go to auction. you could reduce initial cash to force more auctions but that just turns the game into more of a slog

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

InediblePenguin posted:

firstly the pyramids were specifically not built by slaves and secondly this is a cop-out response people use to get out of caring. "oh come on, EVERYTHING sucks" is lovely and carries an implied "so get over it, stop bringing it up" even when preceded by "i don't necessarily disagree"

no obviously plantations are monstrous places that should be burned to the ground, but it feels sort of hypocritical to think that of plantations and not the parthenon or whatever (this includes me and is not an insult)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

MY (27f) husband (27m) of 6 months are on our first cruise. I thought we'd do activities and excursions but to him it's been a literal food orgy. Is this gluttony just normal cruise behavior or do I need to address this?

Here’s a classic I haven’t seen in a while but the term “farting and sweating crab juice” has been burned into my brain for years.

is this another one were the twist is that they are both 300 pounds

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Danaru posted:

Should my (33F) boyfriend (36M) help cover the cost of a tow?

not really relevant but this trend of people self censoring is so weird to me

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

God bless that kid he actually tried the other food when asked, that's really difficult for an eleven year old with picky eating tendencies.

tenders fries closeslaw and a potato doesnt even seem that picky

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Crocobile posted:

Similar in theme to the “rejected” 40 year olds:

My (19M) Girlfriend (19F) is Upset That She's Not the Only Daughter-in-Law Anymore. How do I reassure her?

my ex was like this and it was a nightmare. she absolutely despised my SIL just because she felt she was taking attention away from her

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah. The story is basically "My girlfriend saved all the good sex for the chads and wouldn't give it to me because that's how 'stacys?' are" I don't remember what they call women

I dont see it at all, theres zero mention of any other guys while an incel would be hyper focused on that aspect

some people are just selfish

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Indecisive posted:

started getting boring and yucky but yikes was it obvious from the very start that he was in fact, romantically interested in some way despite very loudly insisting he wasn't

reminds me of the guy who could not shut up about how incredibly hot his friend was , not even during his wedding. but dont worry he had zero attraction towards her!

the stories were even when the OP is trying to make themselves look as good as possible they still come across as an incredible rear end in a top hat are my favorite genre

babypolis fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 23, 2024

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Hopes Fall posted:

Certain STDs, especially if they fly under the radar and are untreated for a while, can cause infertility.

ETA: That was my first thought reading it. So I was thinking ESH with the OP leaning into slut shaming.

"She chose to have sex, now she can't have babies, and won't even gently caress me. Whore."

what, absolutely nothing in the post implies any of that. sometimes the jumps in logic itt really confuse me

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

even if it was indeed caused by an STD, how in the gently caress do you interpret the OP politely alluding to it as slut shaming

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

That's not really a permission slip. That's venting in written form. That's something you would need to have a conversation about.

which she refused to do, repeatedly. obviously he should just have divorced her then and there instead of continiuing this horrible charade, but you cant really fault the guy for giving up and just doing what she asked

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

beating around the bush and not just saying what you want does get real fuckin old after a while

yeah its annoying as hell, OP is right to say she just should say what se she wants like an adult

I get the sense shes getting a lot of cravings but doesnt want to sound like fatass so she wants her husband to "surprise" her instead of asking directly

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

vaping weed during school hours at 14 does sound pretty degenerate

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

My ex-wife was like this, even with the love trumps finances and I hope your money keeps you company lines. If he's anything like I was I don't make six figs lol, he doesn't have a spine to tell his wife that he's not spending his money on frivolous purchases, or she starts fights when he doesn't spend his money the way she likes, so he just keeps his finances from his wife so he doesn't have to deal with that. But that really means you should separate instead of trying to stay together for the kids or avoid spousal support.

I'm glad I didn't get to the point where I'm house hunting without my spouse :cmon:

Jesus H Christ speaking of spineless men. Good on her for divorcing.

i love how it goes from pleading for him to see reason in the first post, to just wailing on his worthless rear end in the update. good for you lady you deffo deserve a lot better

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

S40CheckingAccount posted:

How is a stay-at-home kind of guy so good at socializing that he can pick up a bartender at her job and marry her two weeks later?

Thats always the question isnt it? how these walking disasters with no reedeming qualities can find a partner in no time. I think they just know where to look after a lifetime of practice

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

artsy fartsy posted:

Some redditor commented that it's not even about the money, it's about having an excuse to get out of responsibilities and I'm inclined to agree

yeah seems pretty clear its mostly just an excuse to hang out with his friend and his bimbo wife. even from the way the OP describes it it doesnt sound like they are actually getting much work done. in fact he doesnt mention any work at all!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Counterpoint - high school sports are loving stupid and anyone who takes them seriously should be thrown in an acid vat.

eh I agree on principle but if shes good enough to get a scholarship then its no longer stupid to take it seriously

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Final Update: AITAH - My friend keeps on talking about my Ex in front of my fiancée

I'm not crying, you're crying.

congrats to OP on finding a diamond tier wife, drat

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

idiotsavant posted:

eh, if you are being scouted for D1 college sports then you are good enough to be part of a tiny fraction of high school students and giving up or limiting a lot of your social life is the tradeoff. this is a problem for a relatively small amount of kids, and a bunch of them are getting full or partial rides out of it

I knew a guy who didn't make the Olympics, but he was good enough that he got into the training program for potential Olympic athletes, and according to him a bunch of Olympic competitors are full-blown weirdos because you kind of have to be a super obsessive weirdo fully dedicated to the singular goal of being good at your sport to get to the Olympics. It's a similar thing, though not on the same level.

you really gotta wonder if its really worth all this effort to get good at sports no one cares about. its not like most of those kids chose to have that as their singular life goal in the first place

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

you also need to have opinions about all 50 states as well which ones have the best gas station food

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PetraCore posted:

Man, this was an unpleasant read. Honestly it sounds like Charlotte/Kelly has been through hell, has behavioral issues from that, and the adults in her life are handling it super poorly. The second OP has absolutely resented her from the start, and is thus inclined to frame everything as her being a terrible person, but the first OP also sounds like he handled things poorly because while it's admirable he was determined to get his niece out of a bad situation, it sounds like he tried to do it by just kind of slipping her into the family without caring what his wife thought, and Charlotelly's understandable behavioral issues and need for extra attention turned his daughter into a glass child who feels like her dad just looks right through her. I trust OP 2's recounting of things less because she's really eager to paint a kid really poorly, but even with that in mind she never wanted to be a parental figure to this kid and the fact she felt cornered into that position has just made everything a lot worse.

I dunno, OP 1 is clearly trying his best. lovely situation for the wife for sure but I think they are working through it as best as they can. Agreed on the second OP tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

boofhead posted:

I feel like teachers should be more clear about the purpose of the exercise - it would have cost nothing to say "write about what you did during the summer break, and if you can't think of anything or had a bad break where nothing happened, imagine what an average kid your age might get up to. I don't want fantasy fiction or an itemised list, the point is to practise [such and such a skill]".

To be honest I don't get what the exact point of it is or why a fantasy creative writing submission would warrant such a poor score, it sounds like a filler task that the teacher is taking way too seriously (out of spite? arbitrarily hating this kid?) so I'm going to say probably they're an arsehole as well

yeah giving her a D because she wrote what sounds like a cool and fun short story instead of some boring, filler essay about your vacation is trash

like if the school counselor wants to encourage her to write more maybe stop punishing her for doing so?