Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

the holy poopacy posted:

lol, it rhymes

Yeah, it's a classical mythology name (among other things) but it sounds pretty and isn't one of the more common bonery ones.

i know this but still thought of a bogan saying "straya" when i read it as a name for a living human in this era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Grey Cat posted:

Depends on your state, I didn't even have to talk to a judge, just 145 bucks and briught the papers to the courthouse and left.

i want to change my name for trans reasons but although my county puts a PDF of "fill in the blank" paperwork to fill out, none of the blanks are labeled, i have no idea what information they want, and i can't afford a lawyer to tell me what to write on these dozen blank lines so im stuck :/

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

smilingfish posted:

I'm a lawyer, if you want to message me I can take a look at the form and see if we can make sense of it.

hey this was super kind and generous of you and i am THRILLED to report that when i went to go re-download a fresh copy of my pdf.... the state has updated the website this year and now there's instructions!!!!! i apologize to everyone for complaining without checking a second time beforehand. thank you to all for your time

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

the fun thing about the milk argument is that the original advice was, correctly, that somebody who is going to freak out about somebody drinking milk is not compatible with a person who will be drinking milk. and apparently that's not acceptable, the only acceptable answer would have been to tell the milk drinker that they are required to stop drinking milk, because y'all can't just let it be, for pages and pages

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

it is stupid and illogical to feel literally sick because someone poured water into a receptacle, but if it's your cup you are the boss of it and your roommates are the assholes for ignoring your request

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

100 degrees Calcium posted:

The parents knew, they just disregarded it for the sake of their own relationship.

OP and his stepsister should do the same.

wouldn't you start THE POST YOU WRITE ABOUT IT with clearly stating that you were dating for two years before the marriage? unless, of course, you're trying to bury your "no really we actually aren't doing incest" lede to increase engagement with your very important personal issue

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I don’t know if this kind of dispute would even hold in court “they covered my stuff in glitter” doesn’t seem court worthy to me?
right that's why the part you are taking to court is

quote:

2 cleaning companies have refused to clean and 1 has offered an extortionate amount
that's your damages right there, look how much cleaning will cost

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

genuinely, literally envious of those of you whose life experiences have left you unable to believe a teacher would behave like that

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

why do the people who want to post abuse stories want that? not sarcasm. genuine autism question. is it like "this is a learning experience showing what abuse looks like" or is it fun or what, genuinely

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Lt. Danger posted:

most of the stories itt are abuse- or abuse-adjacent stories, abuse being more a matter of degree than of kind. in this recent story about the postponed wedding, the fiance is a victim of a manipulative relationship, but apparently it hits differently for most posters. now it's a title quote

people with healthy relationships don't post on the internet about it. this is the thread for gawking at the ruins of other people's lives, and every one of us is a carrion-eater. it's fine to be squeamish but if we had any genuine sense of ethics none of us would be here

i feel like you are making an argument against something that i was explicitly not saying. are you feeling defensive? this reads as defensive. i literally told you, this is an informational question i am asking because my brain problems often make the behavior of other people a mystery. you are replying with something about being squeamish and every story is abusive, which i feel isn't true and also doesn't answer my question at all?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

house of the dad posted:

I don't think jumping to lt. danger being defensive is the correct read, and feels adjacent to "you mad" or "why are you trying to defend abuse posting."

i accept this and apologize to lt. danger for that.

InediblePenguin fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 16, 2024

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

babypolis posted:

they are not being defensive, their response is a perfectly legit anwser to your question. there is no clear cut line to define if a story is abuse or not

i already apologized for reading it as defensive thank you for reading and responding

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

babypolis posted:

i dont neccesarily disagree but isnt this true of basically any historic monument? pyramids, ruins, palaces, its all built on suffering

basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhu4T_vwxIU

firstly the pyramids were specifically not built by slaves and secondly this is a cop-out response people use to get out of caring. "oh come on, EVERYTHING sucks" is lovely and carries an implied "so get over it, stop bringing it up" even when preceded by "i don't necessarily disagree"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

This isn't he first time she's had trouble in paradise.

From a month ago:

Me (33F) and my boyfriend's (36M) First anniversary date turned sour

this person seems exhausting. "don't hit me" is a boundary her boyfriend is allowed to have and she's loving arguing about it and obsessing online and begging for strangers to give her official permission to touch her boyfriend in ways he does not like and actively asked her not to

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

e: situation addressed

InediblePenguin fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 21, 2024

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

AceClown posted:

that's because a 2 hour drive in the UK is very very different from a 2 hour drive in the US.

we don't have straight line interstate highways, it's all A roads and small towns and villages unless you're going in a very specific north south direction and can use the M1

I'd love someone from the US to drive like from Derby to Manchester, a 2 hour journey, and then back up that they'd be happy to do that both ways many times over.

just like how people from New York City are convinced that bodegas are so special that nobody in the rest of the country has ever seen a convenience store and cannot conceive of 'em, people from the UK are convinced that they're the only people in the world where the roads are rural and annoying to drive on. Do you think all of america is just straight line interstate highways with no small towns or villages? my dude you are misconceiving. People drive in Boston ffs

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I've heard all about what guys want to do to Eileen, they wrote a song

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm not 100% sure if I should tell the story here or not cuz it's kinda gross. I've mentioned it in other threads before and nobody seemed to mind, although it's still gross to me.

specifically and entirely because you didn't just tell it and you're jerking us around, i no longer want to hear anything about it. don't post about how you're not going to post.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

MagusofStars posted:

I wonder how she'd describe the argument from her side, because his CliffNotes version of "I think religion can help building communities, she thinks young people are too busy to do so" isn't even REMOTELY enough to cause a friendship-ending rift. poo poo, that's a discussion that religions themselves have internally all the time, dating back decades if not centuries.

"I think Christianity has a place in community-building" and he thinks he gets to unilaterally dictate the terms upon which another person is allowed to stop speaking with him. Whatever it was I bet it was (1) extremely Christian-specific and religion-is-required, not in any way a vague 'religion can be a positive in helping build communities' sort of thing, and (2) just as a side bonus, probably also some kind of phobic

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

While someone who is 20 and someone who is 32 are both adults, in many cases the 20 year old and 32 year old are at very different development stages. According to neuroscience, generally speaking, the brain is still "developing" until around 25.

If someone is 25 and another person is 40, I won't think much of it, but when people are under 25 (especially in the 18-21 range) are in large age gap relationships, I get a little skittish. A 20 year old is just a bigger child.

fun fact: the brain is still developing for your entire life, and the "immature until 25" thing has its roots in a popsci article that was trying to explain why people who were 25 in the year 2009 were still living with their parents

"different life stages and levels of experience" is far more valid than popsci neurology when it comes to justifying disapproving of the relationship between two adult strangers

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

a loud and clear "Pardon me" preceding your flatulence

this is loving hilarious. they taught you to say "pardon me" real loud and then fart???

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

degen as short for degenerate just isn't working for me

isn't it literally Nazi/fascist poo poo?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

people can post their first-hand accounts of abusive parents and lovely life situations and physical or mental health issues all day and other goons will always, always roll through afterwards and summarize those posts as "goons are lazy and incompetent"

InediblePenguin fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 4, 2024

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

DemoneeHo posted:

I don't think the first part of this post was shared in here yet. But either way, op posted an update.

My (26F) friend's (26F) boyfriend (28M) gave me an inappropriately expensive gift for my birthday. How do I react?

UPDATE: My friend's boyfriend gave me an inappropriately expensive birthday gift (turns out he stole it. From his MUM.)

this is so ........ he JUST HAPPENED to accidentally swipe the exact item that would be apparently related to her recent trip? "parts of it that should have been glass didn't look like glas" what the gently caress does this mean? in the first post it was an extremely specific item that he would be unlikely to just have, but hey, it turns out it was in fact just some random poo poo somebody owned that he knew nothing about and grabbed without knowing anything and hey presto it's the perfect hyperspecific gift to relate to this person's vacation and he did it totally by accident by swiping it off a shelf at his mom's house. he knew nothing at all about it although it's insanely important to his mom and their only link to the old country that he didn't know she was from and poo poo too.

what the hell IS this apparently diamond-studded item

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

trickybiscuits posted:

A while back I had a roommate who would just sit in her room with the blinds drawn and the lights off, and she got new bathroom curtains that were navy blue and sucked up all the light. She would come home and swear at her adorable cat. She was not pleasant.

Enjoy this beautifully written post

My [44m] sister [32f] will not bathe. Her odor has become the heaviest burden.

this feels like it was written by a dwarf from Dwarf Fortress. her body threatens with spikes of scent; it is decorated with hanging rings of odor

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Rat Patrol posted:

I agree with your point but published author names are a little different. All those authors go/went by their names to their friends and family. Except CS Lewis who named himself Jack when he was a kid so that's what everyone who knew him called him.

okay but real people in real life actually do use names like that and every judgement about it in this thread is stupid bullshit spouted by morons, so

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

artsy fartsy posted:

Lol at sex daddy. I once had a ONS with a guy who also couldn't shut up, but his thing was calling his penis pretty. Oh, do you like my pretty penis? Do you want this pretty penis? Isn't this penis so pretty?

To be honest it wasn't that pretty

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Cool Whip really is not whipped cream, it's its own thing, and that thing does not have a reasonable generic term in vernacular vocabulary. the store brand "cool whip" would still be and is called "cool whip" by everyone i know, because what else could you possibly call it? "please pick up a tub of frozen whipped-style non-dairy dessert" - something a human being would totally say. if you want brand name cool whip you gotta say "brand name cool whip"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

wizardofloneliness posted:

Getting that angry and publicly passive aggressive over a guest bringing generic Cool Whip instead of name brand is a far greater social infraction than the guest bringing generic Cool Whip. My final ruling is that the OP, while he did make a mistake and should try a bit harder in the future, is NTA. The MIL is using up all of the rear end in a top hat energy for herself, so there’s not even enough left for the OP to make it an ESH situation.

Some people here have obviously never read Miss Manners. She wasn’t right about everything, but she was spot on about how it’s actually ruder for a host to point out a guest’s faux pas or gauche behavior than it is for the guest to act in that way.
lol and you know the mom in question would claim he's not a guest because he's her daughters boyfriend and therefore she is actually allowed to treat him rudely

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

mystes posted:

No they aren't

aldi and trader joes are "not the same company" and "owned by two separate brothers" but they also literally work together for bargaining for discounts and sourcing poo poo and sometimes food shows up at aldi's in trader joe's boxes because, again, they throw their weight around together at their suppliers. so they're "not the same company" but they effectively ARE. it feels shady.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

trickybiscuits posted:

This isn't AITA or r/relationships but read carefully

nah thanks but I'm good

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Agrikk posted:

This reminds me of a scheme my brother-in-law [now ex-BIL] cooked up:

I’d drive a van around, doing IT house calls a-la Geek Squad before there was Geek Squad, and Mike would sit at home, handling marketing and advertising, answering phones, and “doing dispatch”. We’d split the profits 50/50.

I said yeah no. One: I had a job that paid far moth than this would. Two: In this business model I could replace him with my Nokia cell phone and take 100% of the profits.

Get hosed, leech.

how many moths did you get

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

that AAM op works in the third period detention room of high school from the sounds of it. surprised Charlie isn't just cutting class to go to McDonald's and draw graffiti in their bathroom instead

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Ominous Jazz posted:

it's gotta be intended right? it's a good way to make sure the kids are in a safe environment outside of school.

it's a good way to do classroom bullying against the minors in your care, too, and sometimes THAT'S the intention

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

house of the dad posted:

I've seen a lot of stuff on Reddit. I can confidently say that this is the first time I've seen someone who thought they could use the court system to enslave somebody else.
yeah no when you use the court system the other person becomes the legal slave of the government and put to prison labor, not YOUR job, silly reddit op

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

my guess: a minty or cinnamony essential oil his mom has to make the room smell nice

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

(and I think stuff like taking your birthday off from work is weird). .

wrong, it's almost always just fine from a moral standpoint to take a day off from your job and you do not have to justify it or make sure your boss thinks you have a good enough reason

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

mllaneza posted:

* Some terms and conditions may apply.

did you see the parts where i deliberately chose my wording "on a moral level" and "almost always"? don't try to outpedant me, i already prepedanted you

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

dumb rear end actually wrote out an entire letter that included the phrase "How can I get her to change her personality" and then sent it to a professional where other people could see it, with no loving self awareness...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

yeah uh accusing a brother who is comforting his sister in grief of wanting to gently caress her, touching her for sexual reasons, is so incredibly hosed up that anybody downplaying/characterizing it as simply "weird" or as some kind of "awkward humor" is coming off as questionable themselves