Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Where are you getting these horrible posts

And can I yell at them

reddit lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AmiYumi posted:

cheating is already factored into a poll with any academic rigor

which by what willa said it was

source i have literally worked on them lol

polling is such a solved science that there is no art to it whatsoever

if you see a bad poll it is a bad poll on purpose

Except there is no science to “likely voter” screens. That’s all just guesses.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
oh i was several pages behind

and yet also not as polls keep consistently showing the same results for some reason

so weird bc they are not the results biden wants which is obviously true and good

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Surprisingly, more dissent is coming from within/adjacent to the White House:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/29/lawyers-israel-arm-sales-biden-00154958

I'm not sure it will matter, but I thought it was an interesting development.

There are definitely staffers that can see the writing on the wall and desperately want to keep their jobs, but I'm sure that's really all it amounts to

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

i have some bad news for you about the scientific method

apparently

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

this loving ghoulish party & the ghouls who run it can't go away soon enough

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1785032132873601103

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

nah, it's based on if you vote in midterm elections, did you vote in the last x elections, how excited/likely/engaged are you to vote in november.

I'm not saying it works all the time, but it's wrong to call it guessing bc they do have models for likely voters.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AmiYumi posted:

i have some bad news for you about the scientific method

apparently

like no one claims to actually know which demographics will turn out to vote in 2024, but pollsters produce polls that are premised on that.

A naive empirical model of voter turnout wouldn’t be able to account for things like Biden’s support for genocide suppressing voters in different demographics and we’ve had too few elections to build some robust model that would allow for such precise analysis.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

you all should sign up for yougov.com surveys so more lefties are sampled.

I went there a couple months ago looking for some poll & saw they were soliciting so I signed up. I get emails a few times a week with links to surveys and most of them don't take a long time to complete (like the one I did today).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

nah, it's based on if you vote in midterm elections, did you vote in the last x elections, how excited/likely/engaged are you to vote in november.

I'm not saying it works all the time, but it's wrong to call it guessing bc they do have models for likely voters.

Some polls use a simple screen like that, but as survey response rates have become more biased they increasingly do have to reweigh for expected demographics. So they take that one likely voter’s answer and weight it up or down to match what they expect demographics in the 2024 election will be.

That’s how we got that goofy thing where Trump’s support among young Black men would ping pong based on if they called one guy or not that week in a longitudinal poll.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Wait the plot of that garbage civil war movie was that the president ran and won a third term and then disbanded the fbi? And I thought you couldn't get any more lib succ than a movie about the brave journalists that sacrifice everything to bring you both sides.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Trabisnikof posted:

That’s how we got that goofy thing where Trump’s support among young Black men would ping pong based on if they called one guy or not that week in a longitudinal poll.

Lol that explains so much

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Popular president with mandate from the masses and willing to dismantle the surveillance state deposed by the deep state

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Speaking as a Liberal Arizona Democrat who thinks Israel is to blame for the Palestinian situation, they knowingly and intentionally violated University regulations and their agreed-upon Code of Conduct:

They were instructed to leave, and they refused. I support their message, but they decided to FAFO.

It is my hope that, on review, the university will drop the action against them, as they have done in other such circumstances. But to bash the school for following its established rules is misplaced, IMO.

liberals unironically reinventing the nuremberg defense lmao forever

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

:cawg:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

Wait the plot of that garbage civil war movie was that the president ran and won a third term and then disbanded the fbi? And I thought you couldn't get any more lib succ than a movie about the brave journalists that sacrifice everything to bring you both sides.

it was dogshit op

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

The plot is if you snap a sick war photo of a war photographer dying you inherit her skills

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

iirc it was actually something insanely specific like divorced black republican small business owners over 50

which was literally two guys in the longitudinal survey and the polls would bounce depending on which one they called that week

strangely enough extrapolating these results to black men in general or old men or small business owners or whatever other demo they needed presented the exact neck n neck horse race results the media wanted 🤔🤔🤔

AmiYumi has issued a correction as of 06:40 on Apr 30, 2024

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

stumblebum posted:

democraceh...

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

HallelujahLee posted:

the article is pretty good lol

what about Trump?, I asked Hammoud. How does he square support for someone who was widely seen as favorable to the Israeli government? “Biden is deeply committed to Zionism, a true believer, not acting on the whims of some lobby. That scares me a lot more,” Hammoud said. On this front, he says, he prefers someone like Trump. “Let’s assume my nonvote for Biden is a vote for Trump automatically. That indirect vote for Trump brings a guy into office who I don’t know what he will do. At the worst, he will be nasty toward us here, like he was in the past. And we can fight him within the law. I cannot fight Joe Biden when he stands with Israel,” he said.
Hell yeah! Go Robert Mueller and The Rule Of Law!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Speaking as a Liberal Arizona Democrat who thinks Israel is to blame for the Palestinian situation, they knowingly and intentionally violated University regulations and their agreed-upon Code of Conduct:

They were instructed to leave, and they refused. I support their message, but they decided to FAFO.

It is my hope that, on review, the university will drop the action against them, as they have done in other such circumstances. But to bash the school for following its established rules is misplaced, IMO.

I think the bolded part might be a lie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Asproigerosis posted:

Imagine a nationwide revolt because a 3 letter agency went away

A president so popular they bent the rules so he could have a 3rd term and that's the worst thing libs can imagine. incredible