Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah lol the guy literally uses the phrase "viewpoint diversity" lmao cmon glem

"one story after another about instances of supposed racism, transphobia, signs of the climate apocalypse, Israel doing something bad, and the dire threat of Republican policies"

lol

I dunno how this guy came to the conclusion they have zero republicans when he obviously is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

comedyblissoption posted:

npr went all in on russiagate conspiracy theories as noted in those excerpts

There's no dichotomy here with npr sucking and that guy also being a piece of poo poo.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Clip-On Fedora posted:

lol I will say I didn’t stare at it for than a minute once it reached the total eclipse because that window is only like two minutes at most.

I should probably also state that I’m not a medical professional either, and in retrospect you should not do what I did.

realistically even though there's memes of google searches "why eyes do hurt" after an eclipse I kind of doubt it's that serious of a concern. Eclipses/partial eclipses happen p regularly on a world scale and there's no way you can get a broad population that couldn't manage masking to not look at a cool thing for a few seconds so if it were an actual problem you'd have a wake of blindness every year and a half or so.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Where's the npr reporting on this faux concern over eclipse eye damage are you telling me that glancing at the sun when your eyes sweep across the sky is gonna blind me permanently get out of here. The US president looked directly at it wake up sheeple.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Nichael posted:

people eat food

The dril post but with bigmacs.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

VitalSigns posted:

It would have been interesting to see the liberal reaction to the vaccine if Trump had won.

On the one hand The Money wanted people vaccinated so they could be forced back to work, encouraged to go out and spend money, etc. On the other hand TDS.

I remember the D&D covid thread had a lot of people speculating that Trump would force the CDC to release an ineffective or even dangerous vaccine and cover up all the evidence.

To be fair releasing inadequate protection and telling people the problem is solved so they can go back to work and die is exactly what the government did so it wasn't really an unfounded concern that it'd happen under trump, it just happened under biden instead.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah true, for sure a situation where the CDC just ignored the data so you've got to look at that.

Yeah the cdc completely trashed their reputation over the politics of covid and trying not to let the economy get disrupted by it.

People who thought it was a trump thing are dumb for sure but the idea that public health is in shambles because it would hurt number is spot on.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

SixteenShells posted:

basically, unless you went to a predatory diploma mill or you were owed forgiveness anyway because of PSLF, you're not getting that loan forgiven by this administration. the best they can offer you is that if you were only making minimum payments and the interest went out of control, they'll waive the interest so you still only owe the principal.
It's wild to me student loan interest is a thing anyways. Like obviously education should be free to begin with but if you absolutely must make it a loan that's essentially functioning as a tax meant to fund education by the people utilizing it, then there's no reason to slap interest on that, the gov is already benefiting from a more educated population, the "interest" is the higher earning potential that can be taxed.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Thoguh posted:

Since we are having a big language derail, am I the only one annoyed by all the zoomers that think ‘whilst’ is a just a fancy way to say ‘while’ and use it constantly?
I feel like there was a long stretch on the internet where people where our gen was doing that with whilst, whom, per se, etc, that culminated in redditor *tips hat m'lady* memes so it's nothing really new.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Even if this were true I don't see how it's winning messaging. The only people who'd accept it are already diehard libs who are gonna vote biden anyways, anyone else is gonna look at the trump years and compare em to now and go "well it was better during those 4 sooooo".

Tbh I dunno even what winning messaging would look like, I guess maybe put the abortion football up again for your charlie brown voters. If they had some wins they could point to during their term they could blast those out but they don't really.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Strangelet Wave posted:

we do this insane thing where we administer the welfare state through the tax system. my wife and I hosed up our withholdings (?) (maybe?) (i feel like we had this problem last year and fixed it!) and owed thousands of dollars at tax time. we got the child tax credit but it didn’t feel like we did because it got dwarfed by the big check we wrote to the government. feels like we might as well have got nothing at all.

conversely on years where we had large tax returns, we didn’t have that tax credit, yet it was as if we got paid nevertheless

its like welfare is supposed to be invisible, undetectable, certainly not anything the government can just *go and give* to people. actually its all just about how well my wife and i can do accounting. skill issue. go pay someone at H&R Block about it if you don’t like it

did they do something weird with w-4’s in the past couple of years?

I swear I’ve heard more and more stories about surprise tax bills these last few seasons and I don’t really get how it happens because that’s all stuff that happens on the backend that you don’t really have to worry about if you get the bulk of income through payroll. My boss has zero dependents, doesn’t really get any money from investments or such, allegedly claimed nothing on his w-4 and in fact tells me he has it set up so they withhold an extra chunk per paycheck and still he ends up owing a couple grand. Considering our payroll is the same, I actually owed a bit on 1099’s this year and I still ended up slightly positive on my return it just doesn’t make sense to me.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

You know I never really considered that taking steps to improve the life of your SO was debt that needed to be paid back.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

sullat posted:

Your boss makes far more money than you do and now has to pay taxes on it. He's flexing on you when he complains like this.

Nah he’s a nice guy humble bragging ain’t really his style, besides it’s gov contractor work so I ballpark know his pay grade anyways. Not that it matters, cause it’s already taxed by payroll which is why it’s weird it keeps coming out that he owes. Whether you make 50 or 500 grand from a w-2 they should just be taxing it accordingly and it’s a wash.

A few years ago a bunch of coworkers at my previous job ran into that too, and the theory was always that it was how much overtime pay we got but afaik that should generally just get you a larger return as most payroll taxes look at your paycheck per period, calculate what that would translate to in an annual basis, then tax you accordingly. Also it again didn’t happen to me but my tax situation has always been p simple.

I dunno it just seems like there’s been an uptick of people complaining about owing a ton these last few seasons both IRL and on these forums so I was wondering if something happened between the Trump and Biden admins that hosed up people’s witholdings and they simply never updated their W-4 or what.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm a filthy casual around here :shrug:

maybe we can talk about it later

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

quote:

No the desired effect of Joe Biden winning is radicalizing dissapointed democrats further left. More left voters means that the parties will be pulled further left aswell.
lmao

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Uncle Wemus posted:

Liberal politicians and economists don’t seem to recognize the everyday harms of rising costs, Michael Powell writes. https://theatln.tc/rVM8NogK

“The modern Democratic Party, and liberalism itself, is to a substantial extent a bastion of college-educated, upper-middle-class professionals, people for whom Biden-era inflation is unpleasant but rarely calamitous. Poor, working-class, and lower-middle-class people experience a different reality,” Powell writes. “Tell these Americans that the economy is humming, that median wage growth has nudged ahead of the core inflation rate, and that everything’s grand, and you’re likely to see a roll of the eyes.”

A cooling inflation rate does not negate years of soaring prices, especially for consumers whose wages have not kept pace, Powell continues. The core inflation rate excludes food and energy costs, economic indicators that impact daily lives. Food-price inflation hurts the poorest fifth of Americans, who spend nearly a third of their income on food, disproportionately to the highest-income fifth, who spend only 8 percent. Gas prices have risen 50 percent over the past four years, home prices have risen nearly 50 percent since the start of the pandemic, and borrowing money is more expensive. The Federal Reserve Board’s efforts to curb inflation have pushed up interest rates for mortgage payments, new cars, and credit cards.

“Many commentators’ eagerness to ignore inflation’s toll appears inescapably tied to Biden’s precarious reelection prospects. The president is more clear-eyed than his cheerleaders. Several months ago, he largely stopped touting the joys of ‘Bidenomics’ and talked instead about challenging the corporations that raised prices and padded profits,” Powell writes. But “mainstream economists cringe at this kind of populist rhetoric; their assumption is that the austerity that follows raising interest rates is an unfortunate but necessary medicine.”

“Perhaps the economic turmoil of Biden’s term will ease … and consumer agitation will cool in tandem with inflation,” Powell continues. But many Americans will continue to judge the economy by their checking accounts.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2024/04/inflation-democrats-biden-interest-rates/678047/

look people are still dipping into their excess savings from the relief they got 4 years ago. They’ll be fine.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

WampaLord posted:

I feel like it's pretty damning of our system that the "good" party has only had 60 days of actually being able to Do Something in the last 16 years

And also they didn't Do much during the 60 days the did have.
Trump replaced RGB in like 2 weeks so clearly doing stuff fast in politics is possible when you have desire and means.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

How long did it take Biden to get the first Globemaster full of 2000 lb bombs to Israel

right, it's like that would be an almost valid criticism of people pointing out D flaws if there weren't so many counter examples of things happening quickly (often against the will of the public). 60 days does honestly sound like a fairly short amount of time if you're an adult that's worked any number of jobs when you're talking about broad policy changes where things generally seem to take quarters or years even for the simplest of shifts but there's really zero justification that good things take years to accomplish when bad things happen overnight so often and easily when it comes to politics.

If dems regularly used notable majorities to immediately ram through every populist policy possible and challenged every roadblock (like eliminating the fillibuster lol) then they'd just be forever enshrined as the victors and we'd have a permablue EC every cycle but they don't cause they don't want to. There's not even failures you can point to, stuff like force the vote got turned down as unserious impositions even though making it clear where every elected official stands on popular policy would be 101 for an actual democracy.

They don't want good things is legitimately the only conclusion from people paying attention.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

TBH isn't this just most of us? We only get news from mainstream media to aggregate it here (usually for the purpose of making fun of it), and we neither love Trump like his supporters or buy into the end of democracy narrative of the democrats.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

loquacius posted:

Do you think it's more likely that juror 4 doesn't get news from anywhere at all and doesn't give a poo poo about any of this, or that he was just annoyed at being asked all these questions and refused to give real answers

I think it depends on how you answer the question "get news from". Like if you're talking about "have you gotten any news at all from these sources" then I mean basically everyone should be checking almost all the boxes because most people have probably at least seen something shared from basically every source imaginable, otoh if the question is intended to be "do you actively seek out this source when trying to learn news on a current event" then I'm kind of surprised there's not more people who basically have nothing checked outside of maybe social media or whatever aggregator page pops up when you open a browser if you haven't switched it's default yet.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

When it started off I thought it was gonna be about guns, then I was like "oh it's about cancer" and then welp the ending. Truly a rollercoaster.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Al! posted:

it's even better in context

vulnerable how!?!?!??!?! she won handily........
I was curious what her past results were and it's a substantially greater margin than her 2022 primary in the same district https://ballotpedia.org/Pennsylvania%27s_12th_Congressional_District_election,_2022, which was apparently a close race (41.9 vs 41.0%), so it seems her approval has only gone up.

I wonder what all the media literacy people would say about this flagrant propaganda. She's literally winning over an order of magnitude harder.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Pulling the app before the election if this goes through would be a p funny thing to do though. They have no actual incentive to sell right? It feels like it’d make more sense to make the ban politically damaging and to support a candidate that would reverse it.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

SixteenShells posted:

"can never articulate their end goals" stop giving Israel money and materiel isn't articulate enough? or is that discounted as a policy proposal because it's not "serious" enough?

Literally every major movement I've seen in my lifetime has everyone coalesce around the idea of "they have no core message" even though there's very obvious ones pull from it. Stuff like OWS and BLM had very clear core messages it shouldn't take a journalist to uncover, and yet these journalists couldn't identify simple stuff like "get money out of politics" or "stop giving police money to suppress people", I'm sure despite the world's simplest call to action "stop supporting genocide" they'll go back to the same well with "hmm we can't figure out what they want I guess they just want to look rebellious for social media".

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

spacemang_spliff posted:

if housing affordability is a key issue then what are the democrat party doing about it lol

between skyrocketing inflation, huge interest rates and the explosion of housing costs, there is no way I'd be able to afford to buy the home I'm in right now if I had to buy it today. The estimated value of my house is twice what I bought it for in 2016. My mortgage would literally be twice what it is now. The democrats aren't doing anything about that lol

And like I dont have an amazing house. it's a 2 bed 1 bath ranch built in 1950 lol poo poo I probably couldn't even afford to rent it

Your mortgage would be more than twice lol. I ran the numbers for my place, similar timeline, and due to the rates being substantially higher my mortgage would be about 3-3.5x lol.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

It. Doesn’t. Matter. Nothing matters if this election doesn’t go right. Nothing matters if this Supreme Court continues to run America into the ground. These kids protesting the wrong thing are so blind. You were literally spoon fed this poo poo to distract you and keep you from protesting American issues. This is the most pathetic and stupidest generation of all time. Worse than boomers. At least boomers know they’re loving us and just don’t care. Gen Z and all the college kids etc protesting the thousand year old war over seas like it’s a new thing while their country falls apart in front of them and they may not even vote to save it because of global politics is easily, the most short sighted and idiotic thing I’ve ever seen.

What I will continue to not get about arguments like these is why they don't flip it on the head and go "hey if this election is so important why doesn't the admin just do what the people want and win in a landslide for free". How is the majority of people giving up their desires for what the minority wants an ideal form of "democracy" we're trying to preserve here?

Like this isn't even a matter where there's the plausible deniability of rotating villain thing where they can claim they're trying to but "don't have the votes", they're actively voting for the stuff their base is presently revolting over.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I'm not exactly sure what every person that has driven themselves literally insane over Donald Trump will do when he is elected but I can't say all of them will do nothing

They might start complaining about the things they should have been complaining about for the past 4 years. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel a bit mentally stuck in 2020 where my political analysis was that libs will immediately stop criticizing everything they were mad at trump about when biden becomes president but I feel like the reverse will be true too. I doubt covid opinions will change at this point but I feel somewhat confident the I/P situation has a bunch of people who really would like to switch sides without admitting they were wrong or having any introspection.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Haven't there been literal studies that show voters and their preferences have little to no impact on policy development. How does someone like this square that circle? Even if Biden wasn't a total piece of poo poo and I was merely indifferent to him rather than actively disdainful what's really my motivation to vote for him, it doesn't do anything.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Honestly I don’t beleive you but it’s not worth arguing over because either way the anecdote he told is a apparently a complete lie

fwiw I've certainly heard older people say that with names that could be first or last, it's common enough that was literally my thought when I saw the tweet.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

If Biden wanted to win he would criminalized spam text and phone calls. It’s that simple.
There's tons stuff like this that I'm sure would have bipartisan support among even the most staunch of contrarian voters. Banning spam/text calls, advertised/list pricing being just what you pay out the door for any item/service/whatever, being able to cancel any service as easily as you started it (no 2 hour phone trees for something you initially signed up for in two clicks), major companies needing to provide email for customer service, etc.

That absolutely no politician campaigns on or even tries to do very straight forward consumer/public protection stuff is just so telling about priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Best Friends posted:

the flint water crisis feels like a turning point. Every level of government going “we just don’t think providing clean water is in our remit anymore. deal with it.”
Things like that are in fact horrible but in a different way, you get into a culture war over tax dollars or how the free market can provide clean drinking water or whatever. There are average people that will get whipped into a frenzy and fight it against their own interests in our team sports version of politics. I'm more meaning things that like no one is going to go to bat for the god given right of your bank to make you waste half the day on hold on your phone to address a simple issue that could have been solved with a short email.