Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
From what (hostile) media I've read there is an impressive amount of organization in some of these protests, especially at Columbia. Not just the encampment itself but in terms of message discipline, having designated spokespeople, a clear hierarchy in terms of decision making. Very much the opposite of occupy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

youcallthatatwist posted:

It varies based on the encampment but yes, a lot of them are extremely well-organized, in part because they're learning from each other at the speed of twitter. And it helps that they're popular - the Columbia one received so many financial donations after the initial cop sweep they had to tell people to start sending money to Palestinian charities instead.

From what I understand as well the anti-Zionist/Palestinian orgs on campus are already pretty well organized so they were able to slot themselves into the larger protest and just use their existing organization to build outward with a plethora of volunteers.

It's never that elegant but this poo poo doesn't just emerge and sustain itself organically.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

that's good poo poo. on point. the presence of the UAW is a good sign too

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Griz posted:

UAW has somehow become the largest academic union in the country, like 1/4 of their membership is now college students and employees.

https://www.npr.org/2023/10/19/1206209107/united-auto-workers-union-uaw-membership-grad-students-big-3-strike

huh, i had no idea

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I was not expecting archival research as part of their prep work. These kids really have done their homework in a way I haven't seen in a long time.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

new city builder just dropped

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it is pretty funny to see influencer journalists just get shut down.

I guess we're finally at the point where not only are students drawing on past protests for organization ideas but they've all grown up with social media and know exactly how easy it is to just pick out a weirdo in a crowd of protestors in order to discredit the whole movement. They've got designated media people and those media people set standards for access and aren't all trying to get selfies in and/or go viral themselves.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
im really curious about how u of chicago will play this because that's the Free Speech school

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FtcZxnc6dk

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's definitely an issue, but the Republicans have to tangle with abortion so both parties have their own issues.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mandel Brotset posted:

perhaps there is some kind of deeper resolution to this failure of both parties

the common ruin of the contending classes, looks like

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Al! posted:

theyre going to let the nypd off the hook it sounds like. hope nobody gets killed

i assume if the kids had gone and looked at the archives about '68 and other protests they probably know the end game of what they're doing.

i also hope no one is killed.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Happening while Rafah is getting bombed is poetic, but not in a good way

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

Update from the McGill encampment in Montreal:
https://twitter.com/SamHersh01/status/1785708697118798125?t=M7yL-LpxKzDPmXB4rU-OUg&s=19

This is after McGill requested police assistance and the cops didn't show up.

lmao that is very much like the spvm. take what you can get I guess.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

apparently we can stop worrying about everything because joe biden is a genestealer and the day of ascension is nigh

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Precambrian Video Games posted:

You're going to get nailed for this one. See you in three days.

perfect

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

well tbf a lot of that stuff comes down to the board of governors, but every university has different governance. Still a cop out, since the president generally has some pull but in terms of things they can do right this second probably not.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

That's the thing driving these people crazy. These are the rich kids saying this poo poo. They paid the $250k cover charge so they get to be in the club. Management locked all the poor doors and they keep hearing chanting it is driving them nutzo.

these kids aren't supposed to be violating the most sacred principle there is in the anglo world: private property (even when it isn't)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Al! posted:

that's who i was thinking of. i recall him being even more vile towards islam, so allah got him first

only redeeming thing he did was change his mind about waterboarding being torture after he had someone waterboard him

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KomradeX posted:

And when they say that I assume the journalists were all told to talk to the desginated media liaison and they're just mad they can't get an inarticulate protestor to look stupid for them

no story here! time to move on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

okay, but MAN OR BEAR?

lets rock!